Govt Vows To Promote Thailand As Health Service Hub

george

Finance minister vows to promote Thailand as health service hub

BANGKOK: -- Finance and Deputy Prime Minister Surapong Suebwonglee on Wednesday pledged to promote Thailand as the health service centre.

Speaking at a seminar on "National Strategy on Biology for Health, he conceded Thailand had "missed the train" for the development of information technology (IT).

So, the government would not miss an opportunity to develop Thailand into the health service centre because it is vital to provide the service to people both locally and overseas.

Dr. Surapong said Thailand's health service had an advantage in terms of skilled medical personnel, modern equipment, excellent service, and quality research work.

Additionally, the country is abundant with many varieties of herbs, resulting in a fast growth in the spa business and the development and sale of health products.

To boost the advantage, he said, it is necessary to work out a strategy on research and development to accelerate growth.

Regarding the bio-science area, he said, the government would focus on development of research for commercial and industrial purposes since various products rely on scientific development.

--TNA 2008-05-29

"Regarding the bio-science area, he said, the government would focus on development of research for commercial and industrial purposes since various products rely on scientific development."

While medical tourism may be an option they have missed the boat on bio-science / bio-tech development as well.

Singapore, India, Shanghai and other parts of China, Taiwan, Korea etc are all way ahead, have a better educated workforce at the level required.

Thailand does not even appear on the radar for investment in this area.

is health service cheap in thailand?

A thai friend went to the nationnal hospital in nathon(koh samui) for a complete blood check up , they charged 3000 bath, kinda expensive as in most modern countries with social security it will not cost more than 10 euro or even free.

is health service cheap in thailand?

A thai friend went to the nationnal hospital in nathon(koh samui) for a complete blood check up , they charged 3000 bath, kinda expensive as in most modern countries with social security it will not cost more than 10 euro or even free.

Must have gone to a private hospital which can charge what it likes - Govt hospitals are much cheaper or free.

<br />
is health service cheap in thailand?<br /><br />A thai friend went to the nationnal hospital in nathon(koh samui) for a complete blood check up , they charged 3000 bath, kinda expensive as in most modern countries with social security it will not cost more than 10 euro or even free.
<br /><br />Must have gone to a private hospital which can charge what it likes - Govt hospitals are much cheaper or free.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

thanks for the info, do those cheap rates also apply to foreigners?(in my case i have a work permit if that does any difference)

<br />
is health service cheap in thailand?<br /><br />A thai friend went to the nationnal hospital in nathon(koh samui) for a complete blood check up , they charged 3000 bath, kinda expensive as in most modern countries with social security it will not cost more than 10 euro or even free.
<br /><br />Must have gone to a private hospital which can charge what it likes - Govt hospitals are much cheaper or free.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

thanks for the info, do those cheap rates also apply to foreigners?(in my case i have a work permit if that does any difference)

No, I really do not think so.

I have never been myself but I have heard rates at Govt Hospitals where foreigners have gone have been very cheap - I knew of a guy going to the Police General Hospital in Bangkok each day to have ulcers cleaned and drained and it was pennies I was told.

I have only ever used the likes of Bumrungrad and have had mixed service between atrocious and excellent - they do overcharge for drugs though but some Dr's will be OK about it if you say you will buy outside the hospital pharmacy where they are available.

I do know Thai colleagues have used Siriraj because we have a professional relationship with them and they know the Dr's personally.

<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Usually not, although you can use your social security to pay for it (asuming your employer is paying it for you).

This is no surprise, given that Thaksin, Noppadol and various other ex TRT people intend to use country money to promote their own personal empires, being that they own the hospitals and in the case of some families (e.g. Sudarat) the rights to distribute certain drugs.

The fact that there are fewer and fewer doctors available for the substandard subsidised healthcare programs for the poor is ignored as they get a few cheap check ups and that is about enough to shut those guys up.

How can anyone not see what a bunch of moronic s&^theads these guys are?

My wife had a check-up this morning with the gyno/

sad atmospheer.

Foreigners/laos child had died that morning.

apparently they lived in Laos and were not able to cross the border for what reason what so ever and missed the regular visits in NongKhai.

Ofcourse i dont know what the course of dead was, but i believe that a medical hub for the surrounding countrys is something we all must welcome.

Our toughts are with the family of the little one.

lets count our blessings instead of our tears.

HGMA

BANGKOK: -- Finance and Deputy Prime Minister Surapong Suebwonglee on Wednesday pledged to promote Thailand as the health service centre.

Speaking at a seminar on "National Strategy on Biology for Health, he conceded Thailand had "missed the train" for the development of information technology (IT).

So, the government would not miss an opportunity to develop Thailand into the health service centre because it is vital to provide the service to people both locally and overseas.

Dr. Surapong said Thailand's health service had an advantage in terms of skilled medical personnel, modern equipment, excellent service, and quality research work.

Additionally, the country is abundant with many varieties of herbs, resulting in a fast growth in the spa business and the development and sale of health products.

To boost the advantage, he said, it is necessary to work out a strategy on research and development to accelerate growth.

Regarding the bio-science area, he said, the government would focus on development of research for commercial and industrial purposes since various products rely on scientific development.

--TNA 2008-05-29

"My wife had a check-up this morning with the gyno/

sad atmospheer.

apparently they lived in Laos and were not able to cross the border for what reason what so ever and missed the regular visits in NongKhai.

Ofcourse i dont know what the course of dead was, but i believe that a medical hub for the surrounding countrys is something we all must welcome.

HGMA"

Yes we should not forget the very sad state of healthcare in some of the surrounding countries like Laos, Cambodia and Burma - Vietnam is a little better off and we do some clinical trials there but not in the others - they are just not up to it.

Thailand has some excellent clinical researchers - when the drug getsto the "Development" stage of R&D - what with the general work done and the skilled staff of the sponsors we find its one of the best countries in Asa to do trials all thiongs considered.

Here we go again - yet another hub. All previous are successfully completed - be sure, taxpayers....!!!

OMG....... :o

Lord Buddha, pls send those bureaucrates some brain...

--TNA 2008-05-29

The current Thai government is paralysed by infighting over the charter ammendments so forget any "Hubs" for the time being.

My wife had a check-up this morning with the gyno/

sad atmospheer.

HGMA

--TNA 2008-05-29

medical hub has nothing to do with helping people. It is to make money. Government does not try to help the poor from neighbour countries. It is about to get some Euro and USD with trying to be cheaper than european/amercian countries. It is about money. Like the IT - hub just it is about fixing people not computer.

Some very good comments. I was sort of surprised that people saw through the smoke. I'll add a couple comments as well;

Finance and Deputy Prime Minister Surapong Suebwonglee on Wednesday pledged to promote Thailand as the health service centre. Folks might pay attention and take it seriously if the announcement was from the health minister and supported by the health provider community.

Speaking at a seminar on "National Strategy on Biology for Health, he conceded Thailand had "missed the train" for the development of information technology (IT). Wow, an admission of failure. Ok, I have to give him credit for that.

.... vital to provide the service to people both locally and overseas. As others have observed, how about starting with the locals first to build some credibility. A country that can't provide basic care for its own people is not going to be taken seriously if it claims to offer high end medicine. Thailand can't even provide basic oncology and radiation therapy to its people.

had an advantage in terms of skilled medical personnel, - Sorry, no better qualified than that found in the west or other asian countries. The difference being that the "competitor" service providers offer some measure of oversight and quality control. To be even more blunt, I'd rather pay more and have a doctor assisted by trained competent staff using clean equipment properly maintained in Singapore or Hong Kong.

modern equipment, Super, but you need the equipment serviced and operated by trained qualified people. D-oh.

excellent service, Level of service will be just as good in Singapore, Hong Kong, EU etc.

and quality research work. :o:D:D Someone ought to tell Braniac that you have to fund research first in order to retain quality people. You also have to actually invest in providing the fundamental education for these researchers. Maybe he should look at why Singapore and Israel with 1/10 of the population of Thailand have more dynamic and original research going on.

Is he confused? Spas are not cutting edge or innovative medical treatments. Making potions and growing herbs has nothing to do with the use of natural products in the quest for treatments. Almost all of the promising plants and animal life that may hold curative powers are found in pristine areas that haven't been tainted by human pollution etc. Maybe he ought to start with protecting biodiversity and the forest lands first in order to protect the plants, bugs and animals that may provide hope.

To boost the advantage, he said, it is necessary to work out a strategy on research and development to accelerate growth. Ya think? So why not do that first instead of the posturing?

Regarding the bio-science area, he said, the government would focus on development of research for commercial and industrial purposes since various products rely on scientific development. Wow. That's so cutting edge. Maybe he will a nomination for a Nobel prize.

If I was a Thai health scientist, I'd be insulted. To me, it's just verbal diarhea.

Quote : I have only ever used the likes of Bumrungrad and have had mixed service between atrocious and excellent - they do overcharge for drugs though but some Dr's will be OK about it if you say you will buy outside the hospital pharmacy where they are available.

Can confirm the experience with Bumrungrad; been with them since 1999, they spiraled down since they became INTERNATIONAL. Selective (foreigner/thai) pricing too; was charged 1.050 for an audiometrie and my (thai) partner only 500 baht a few months later....may-be my doctor wore golden gloves while pushing the buttons :o .was ones also charged 1.000 baht instead of the usual 750 (3 previous visits, same doctor)....because "i stayed longer with the doctor" that time...i sure did, the doctor received a call from an outpatient so i had to wait about 10 extra minutes while he was answering the call and so on. After finally once reporting some of these experiences to the "customer service", i received some next to the question emails of which the last one was written in BOLD (=shouting).

All this makes me desperately looking for a replacement health care provider which will become even more difficult with this new Health HUB Thing.

Edited by belidofan

Quote : I have only ever used the likes of Bumrungrad and have had mixed service between atrocious and excellent - they do overcharge for drugs though but some Dr's will be OK about it if you say you will buy outside the hospital pharmacy where they are available.

Can confirm the experience with Bumrungrad; been with them since 1999, they spiraled down since they became INTERNATIONAL. Selective (foreigner/thai) pricing too; was charged 1.050 for an audiometrie and my (thai) partner only 500 baht a few months later....may-be my doctor wore golden gloves while pushing the buttons :o .was ones also charged 1.000 baht instead of the usual 750 (3 previous visits, same doctor)....because "i stayed longer with the doctor" that time...i sure did, the doctor received a call from an outpatient so i had to wait about 10 extra minutes while he was answering the call and so on. After finally once reporting some of these experiences to the "customer service", i received some next to the question emails of which the last one was written in BOLD (=shouting).

All this makes me desperately looking for a replacement health care provider which will become even more difficult with this new Health HUB Thing.

I have had the same - thing is I work in clinical research and once the Dr's get talking they are usually fine - I once had to see the Nursing Manager about something they did and the response was laughable till I started talking about the ethics committee - changed pretty quickly but then not everyone knows what to do and in a hospital you are already stressed

Saying all that I will probably fly up to get my yearly full medical rather than got to Raffle Hospital in Singapore - for that type of thing the service is good

between 'hubs' and 'crackdowns', we really have a long term strategy here ...

Hospitals here (mainly private) have already many foreign patients ... they have not been waiting for the government wisdom !

As in many other enterprises the thai entrepreneurs are not waiting for the government to give direction / subsidies / etc..., they would be doomed if they did.

Government here (and many other places ...) do not govern ... they only try to find (covert) ways to rob the nation for the benefit of their (elected) leaders.

How about a crackdown on hubs !

Some very good comments. I was sort of surprised that people saw through the smoke. I'll add a couple comments as well;

Finance and Deputy Prime Minister Surapong Suebwonglee on Wednesday pledged to promote Thailand as the health service centre. Folks might pay attention and take it seriously if the announcement was from the health minister and supported by the health provider community.

Speaking at a seminar on "National Strategy on Biology for Health, he conceded Thailand had "missed the train" for the development of information technology (IT). Wow, an admission of failure. Ok, I have to give him credit for that.

.... vital to provide the service to people both locally and overseas. As others have observed, how about starting with the locals first to build some credibility. A country that can't provide basic care for its own people is not going to be taken seriously if it claims to offer high end medicine. Thailand can't even provide basic oncology and radiation therapy to its people.

had an advantage in terms of skilled medical personnel, - Sorry, no better qualified than that found in the west or other asian countries. The difference being that the "competitor" service providers offer some measure of oversight and quality control. To be even more blunt, I'd rather pay more and have a doctor assisted by trained competent staff using clean equipment properly maintained in Singapore or Hong Kong.

modern equipment, Super, but you need the equipment serviced and operated by trained qualified people. D-oh.

excellent service, Level of service will be just as good in Singapore, Hong Kong, EU etc.

and quality research work. :o:D:D Someone ought to tell Braniac that you have to fund research first in order to retain quality people. You also have to actually invest in providing the fundamental education for these researchers. Maybe he should look at why Singapore and Israel with 1/10 of the population of Thailand have more dynamic and original research going on.

Is he confused? Spas are not cutting edge or innovative medical treatments. Making potions and growing herbs has nothing to do with the use of natural products in the quest for treatments. Almost all of the promising plants and animal life that may hold curative powers are found in pristine areas that haven't been tainted by human pollution etc. Maybe he ought to start with protecting biodiversity and the forest lands first in order to protect the plants, bugs and animals that may provide hope.

To boost the advantage, he said, it is necessary to work out a strategy on research and development to accelerate growth. Ya think? So why not do that first instead of the posturing?

Regarding the bio-science area, he said, the government would focus on development of research for commercial and industrial purposes since various products rely on scientific development. Wow. That's so cutting edge. Maybe he will a nomination for a Nobel prize.

If I was a Thai health scientist, I'd be insulted. To me, it's just verbal diarhea.

I am a healthcare professional currently licensed in the US. I actually brought qualified inspectors from the US to Thailand to examine the healthcare system including the healthcare education system. Their opinion is that Thailand is equivalent in most respects to the US in terms of education and for the larger hospitals we inspected, quality. For the record we did not visit Bumrungrad though I understand it to be an excellent facility. The inspector's opinion mirrored my own. I have visited hospitals in some of the less developed provinces and found them to be similar to small town hospitals inthe US. The equipment in the smaller hosptials tends to be older but fromwhat I saw it was well maintained and the staff knowledgeable.

The healthcare system here if you are not aware is based on the US model. In the 1920s Prince Mahidol father of HM the King graduated with honors from Harvard Medical School. He and another member of the Royal Family sponsored a US medical education for a small group of thai men and women. They became the seed for the modern Thai healthcare system. Many Thai hospitals maintain ongoing relationships with US or European facilities. There are a growing number of facilites here that have or are in the process of obtaining Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations international certification. If you are not familiar with that organization it is considered the gold standard for the inspection of medical facilities. From experience the inspections are much like the inquistion they are not fun. If you haven't noticed there are significant numbers of Thai physicians who are educated abroad for at least part of their education. Original research is conducted in Thailand and reported in mainstream medical journals.

Bumrungrad is now on the provider list for Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina, an American health insurer. I suspect other Thai hospitals will be added in the future. US insurers don't add hosptials to their provider list just bcause a hospital requests it.

I for one would not hesitate use the services of most Thai hospitals. For major surgery there are hospitals here with well qualified staff and facilities I would not hesitate to use for myself or my family. Given the fact that 40% of the US population has no health insurance Thailand has a major opportunity to provide care for that segment. Countries with national healthcare plans represent a much smaller market. Waiting lists in some and the fear of MRSA in the UK have led people in those countries to look elsewhere.

Edited by ChiangMaiAmerican

You should have come by and seen me for your hearing evaluation needs! My office charges around 300 Baht, and you would have been tested by the only doctorate level audiologist in the nation, and probably the only one in the neighboring countries to boot.

I once sent my resume to Bumungrad.... they replied back and said they could only hire Thai licensed physicians.... so that kind of gives you a clue about the level of understanding Thailand has regarding audiology. BTW, the lady that tested your hearing at Bumongrad is a masters level Thai trained audiologist, and her degree program has been abolished. She represents the last of the Thai audiologist with a MS degree. The newer ones that are produced at a blistering pace of 2 every 6 years have a BS degree. Thailand did this with the thinking they could produce more (kind of qualified) audiologist at a quicker pace.... that failed.

My experience regarding health care in Thailand has been for the most part, a fiasco.

Regarding "modern equipment..." Yes Thailand really does have modern equipment, but the staff does not have the English abilities to learn and understand how to use the equipment. A lot of times the modern equipment gets pushed in to a closet and forgotten about because staff members refuse to learn about it, use it etc.

The deal is, the hospital allocates a budget to each dept. periodically. Someone in the dept will thumb through a magazine, see a piece of equipment they do not have, find a suplier and purchase it.... based on the fact that they have been issued a budget for new equipment. If they do not use those budget funds they lose those funds.... so they act fast and purchase anything on a whim. Regardless of the fact they have no one that can use the equipment, and most cases staff members simply refuse to use the equipment even after going through training.

So yea, you may need a specific type of test, you may have read about the test, and you may find a hospital with the equipment..... but does the hospital staff know what in the world they are doing?

Hub of what again?

Dahkar: I'm not asking for a free online consultation and diagnosis, simply if you think I should seek more opinions, based on your experience in the field in general, and in Thailand in particular.

I have "enjoyed" tinnitis for several years now. It's constant, but not too annoying unless I decide to concentrate on it. But, it does mask a band of hearing frequencies. So, after consulting with my ENT at BNH Hospital in Bangkok, he called in their "expert" audiologist from Pattaya Bangkok Hospital and she, among other things, administered an EEG (I think that's the term: wires/electrodes attached to my head?)

Her and my ENT's conclusion is that my tinnitis is not treatable. Do you think their credentials are strong enough that I should accept their conclusion? Or, would you recommend I go for more testing ... at your clinic, perhaps ... in the pursuit of a "cure" or some sort of treatment?

Dahkar: I'm not asking for a free online consultation and diagnosis, simply if you think I should seek more opinions, based on your experience in the field in general, and in Thailand in particular.

I have "enjoyed" tinnitis for several years now. It's constant, but not too annoying unless I decide to concentrate on it. But, it does mask a band of hearing frequencies. So, after consulting with my ENT at BNH Hospital in Bangkok, he called in their "expert" audiologist from Pattaya Bangkok Hospital and she, among other things, administered an EEG (I think that's the term: wires/electrodes attached to my head?)

Her and my ENT's conclusion is that my tinnitis is not treatable. Do you think their credentials are strong enough that I should accept their conclusion? Or, would you recommend I go for more testing ... at your clinic, perhaps ... in the pursuit of a "cure" or some sort of treatment?

Wow, it sounds like they got an audioligists by the name of "Mukda" to come out of Pataya to come to BKK to perform an ABR study. I do that at Vitchiyut (sp) and at Kasamarat (sp) fairly frequently. The audiologist at Bumungrad has as much training as Mukda, but it sounds like she just refuses to do ABR studies.... (such as the above post where I discribed the issues with equipment and training)

The ABR is done to make sure there are no retro-cochlear pathologies... (tumor). Tinnitus is one of the symptoms of a tumor, but when you look at the big picture, many many many, people have tinnitus but do not have a tumor. If it concerns you greatly, the best test is an MRI with and without contrast. If you do not get an MRI with and without contrast it will be a waste of money.

Regarding tinnitus treatment. Currently the best form of treatment is through the use of hearing aids. I know that is not what you want to hear, but that is the case for most people. The hearing aids mask over the tinnitus, and allows yout to hear better. (Two birds with one stone)

Drugs, pills, vitamins, meditation, psychotherapy, change in diet etc seem to have a placebo effect, but I personally do not "buy in to it."

If you do want to meet one day in the future and discuss these matters more, just PM me for details.

Thanks for the reply, Dakhar. You pretty much summarized what I had assumed after the "ABR." I know that hearing aids are in my future, but so far I've coped without them. I find I'm pretty good at reading lips, or that at least when someone covers their mouth or turns away, I have a hard time "hearing" them.

A previous ENT had told me that there was a possibility I had situational tinnitis (or something like that), meaning that the noise level in my work environment may be causing it, and if so, there was a 50% chance that after six months out of that environment, the tinnitis would fade. Well, it didn't, so I guess I'm stuck with it, and will plan on hearing aids.

I did see an ad someplace for a hearing aid that was designed to look like those Bluetooth mobile phone ear pieces people wear. I thought that was a great idea -- make a hearing aid into a "vanity fashion accessory" of the new millenium. Maybe I should look into getting one of those.

Thanks again for your feedback.

As mentioned by another poster, there is already plenty of medical tourism here, no thanks to the gov't.

Gov't promotion, working in conjunction with major private hospitals would most certainly help/increase hospital revenues though.

:o

Thanks for the reply, Dakhar. You pretty much summarized what I had assumed after the "ABR." I know that hearing aids are in my future, but so far I've coped without them. I find I'm pretty good at reading lips, or that at least when someone covers their mouth or turns away, I have a hard time "hearing" them.

A previous ENT had told me that there was a possibility I had situational tinnitis (or something like that), meaning that the noise level in my work environment may be causing it, and if so, there was a 50% chance that after six months out of that environment, the tinnitis would fade. Well, it didn't, so I guess I'm stuck with it, and will plan on hearing aids.

I did see an ad someplace for a hearing aid that was designed to look like those Bluetooth mobile phone ear pieces people wear. I thought that was a great idea -- make a hearing aid into a "vanity fashion accessory" of the new millenium. Maybe I should look into getting one of those.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Your previous ENT was creating a new jargon/pathology and essentially does not know what in the HECK he is talking about.... which is pretty typical.

If you took the time to investigate modern hearing aids, I think you would be very surprised how small they are today, and how convienient and comfortable to wear compared to what there was on the market a few years back.

I will warn you though, if you want modern, my best advice is to work with me. The Thai market, in genearal, does not afford those in this field much experience in working with modern hearing aid technology.

It is much like looking for a good mechanic in Thailand, which can be found, but can this mechanic work on a Bugati?

The Nation, Published on June 3, 2008

Private hospitals oppose fee increase

By Pongphon Sarnsamak

The Nation

Published on June 3, 2008

Private hospital operators oppose economist Ammar Siamwalla's recommendation of imposing a 30-per-cent increase in foreign patients' medical bills.

They say Thailand could lose its competitiveness in the battle to become a regional medical hub.

"Who would come here if our medical treatment costs were higher than in their original country or our rival nations?" asked Private Hospital Association of Thailand president Aurchat Kanjanapitak.

He said the Kingdom would lose its competitive edge to rivals like Malaysia and Singapore, which at present provide similar-quality services at higher prices.

Ammar on Sunday suggested private hospitals be forced to increase medical bills for foreign patients by 30 per cent in order to solve the severe shortage of physicians. He said this would increase government revenue as much as Bt6 billion. The extra revenue could be used to fund the national healthcare programme, which is in a poor state from a shortage of practitioners in public hospitals.

He attributed the shortage to Thailand's strategy of becoming a medical hub. Private hospitals provide better services to lure foreign patients, and so they offer high salaries to public-hospital physicians.

One Public Health Ministry study predicts that in 2015, the number of outpatients will increase to 8 million and inpatients to 400,000, due to the medical-tourism scheme. This will require an additional 176 to 303 physicians.

"The private sector will consume a large number of physicians and cause shortages for public hospitals," said Thinakorn Noree, who conducted the study.

Aurchat admitted private hospitals were luring physicians from public hospitals but said that in the past few years the brain drain accounted for only 50 out of 1,800 specialists.

Instead, he said the workforce shortage was a result of mismanagement in medical-worker distribution throughout the country. He suggested the government resolve the problem rather than placing the blame on private hospitals.

Unquote

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere, but i reckon it is at home on this thread.

This certainly compliments the title in a contradictory way, should it be put into place.

I wonder if those on long term visa,s are included in the proposals of the government / Ammar Siamwalla or is it for tourist health visitors ????

Yet another scheme to subsidize the failing economy at the expense of the foreigner.

Medical insurance is going through the roof already, should they ignore the statement of Private Hospital Association of Thailand president Aurchat Kanjanapitak.

Take into account the travelling expenses and possible recuperating periods that have to be taken into the equation, distance to get here and time ect. ect.

and for sure many will look for alternatives, especially in and around europe were many come from.

IMHO of course

marshbags :o