Any Good Places To Have A Swim In Chiang Mai

tezzaaa

At that price I'd want it filled with champagne with attendant mermaids.

Let's put your argument in perspective. In the UK you now pay upwards of GBP 3.00 for one pint of beer.

Do you want the long answer which you probably won't understand as you are incapable after slurping the champagne (or was it the mermaids?) or are you willing to accept the quick and dirty response?

Lake for me a great relaxing lazy day eating, swimming, drinking (not in that order) and I can confirm seeing a snake in lake (poet) so did several thai's who ran out of the water double quick, I don't know what type of snake it was as it was a few meters away sliding across the water.

I went for a walk around that lake today and I did see a snake swimming near the shore. It was about a foot long. I think I'll opt for a swimming pool instead.

At that price I'd want it filled with champagne with attendant mermaids.

Let's put your argument in perspective. In the UK you now pay upwards of GBP 3.00 for one pint of beer.

Do you want the long answer which you probably won't understand as you are incapable after slurping the champagne (or was it the mermaids?) or are you willing to accept the quick and dirty response?

Where in the UK? I was back in North West London last month paying GBP 2.21 for a pint of Carling! Not at a W'Spoons either where it is cheaper!

Had a pint of Heineken at lunch today in CM 110 Baht. GBP 2.20 at Fridays fx rates, but lets hope that changes when the reality of this airport situation hits the markets!

• 1 month later...

As the weather is warming up again, I thought an update on swimming pools in Chiangmai might be of interest. I've only listed those I have used, and others may wish make additions to give a more complete picture of the swimming scene in town. One thing I have noticed about all the pools I have been to is that during the mornings they are usually very quiet - great if you want to do a few laps and then have breakfast and read the newspaper or a good book!

• There is an Olympic size pool at the 700 Year Stadium - a huge sports complex built for the SEA Games, which were held in Chiangmai in the early 1990's, and is now a public sports and recreation center. This is located along the Irrigation Canal Road, Route 121, towards Mae Rim. I haven't been there for a long time, so I am not sure of the current entrance charges but it used to be 50 or 60 Baht.

• In the same area as the 700 Year Stadium there is a private swimming club, Centre of the Universe (website: www.therealcentreoftheuniverse.com) primarily for members but which tourists or casual users can use on a temporary membership basis. Temporary membership starts at 200 Baht for one entrance but if you buy a multiple entry discount ticket it is cheaper. Best deal is to buy 20 tickets for 2,000 Baht, valid for 6 months. This is the only pool I know of in Chiangmai which opens at 6.30am in the morning and has reserved lanes for lap swimmers until 9.00am. The main pool is also reserved for lap swimming between 5.00 - 7.00pm, and the cost for early morning/evening swimmers is 75 Baht for non-members. In addition to the main pool there are two children's pools. Salt water system, lots of sun beds and umbrellas.

• There is also a swimming pool at Chiang Mai Land (see write up on www.northernthailand.com) The cost is 50 Baht. It is located off Chang Klan road. Personally, I am put off by the heavy use of chlorine in the pool and too many kids at weekends/after school. The changing rooms are also a bit shabby, but it is convenient if you live in this part of town.

• There is another older pool along Tung Hotel Road (near the Railway Station) which is open to the public. Pricing is similar to Chiang Mai Land.

• Some hotels, e.g. The Orchid and Lotus Pang Hotel allow "outsiders" to use their pools on payment of a fee. It should be noted that the Amari Rincom Hotel no longer offers this service to outsiders and closed its swimming club to members some 2 years ago (although the service is still advertised in some tourist magazines and is on some websites)

• For 20 Baht entrance fee you can take a dip in the lake at Huay Tung Tao. This is a reservoir within surrounding woodlands, and is located further along the Irrigation Canal Road than the Centre of the Universe Swimming Pool and the 700 Year Sports Stadium, as you head towards Mae Rim (Route 121)

• There are also water falls and natural pools at the foot of Doi Suthep on Huay Kaew Road. Look out for the large Buddhist Shrine on your left after travelling past the the entrance to Chiangmai Zoo. Turn left into the market at the back of the Shrine, and keep walking up the hill. You will come to the waterfalls after about 5 minutes. There is no charge for entry. The pools at the bottom of the water falls are not really big enough for swimming but are a great place to cool off at the height of the summer. During the dry season some of the water falls dry up - head for the high ground and you will still find pools full of fresh water! There are usually quite a few students hanging out there from the nearby university, who will happily practice their English conversational skills with you.

Check out the moat that runs around the old city walls. I hear they clean it regularly and is very good for swimming.

The black klong or the white klong depending on what is discharged into it is also a great place for a quick dip. This little hidden gem criss crosses Loi Kroh. Try not to dive into it as its not that deep. Watch out for the rapids as well, they are artificially constructed by using old cars and pices of bikes.

Best time to visit is early evenings when the water starts to bubble like a witches cauldren and the bugs start to bite.

A true hidden charm that Chiangmai has to offer.

Just look for the bridge with the cement rats on it or people begging with their drugged out semi concious children. If you still cannot find it, follow your nose

Edited by Hobart

You must check out 'Huay Toong Tow' ('The Lake'), a little bit out of Chiangmai but big and beautiful. It only costs 20 baht to get in (same for Thais) and they serve food and drink in little huts. Closes around 6pm.

dude, there are snakes in that water.

There are NOT any snakes in the water that are dangerous, or even plentiful.

i saw a siamese cobra there once not the big king cobra but dangerous enough , where do you get this info ajarn ?

Snakes I've seen: In November, my daughters and I were walking back from a swim at a waterfall near Samoeng, when I dam_n near stepped right on a 2m long king cobra. Fortunately, my brother in law "heard" it and grabbed me right before I stepped on it. It seemed shy of us, and we cut it a wide distance as we shimmied past, as it did us. Beautiful snake, and thankfully, we caught it in a good mood.

If you head out on the Hangdong-Samoeng road, their are many waterfalls there that are fine for taking a dip, but again, you are in a tropical wilderness, so you may not be alone and must show respect to the hosts!

If you want a really nice, quite dip and work out, there is a NICE pool and gym at Kwun Viang Village, southeast of town, but it is a little far. It's near where I live, and I think it's really top-notch.

Ok I can tell you this, FORGET THE MOAT!  there're signs (in Thai) everywhere that dont want people to swim in it.  I think the only purpose of its existense is to preserving the historical values of the Old Chiang mai.  

I don't recommend the Haew Tung Tao either, parasitic worms can kill you.

http://www.cdc.gov/Ncidod/dpd/parasites/sc...stosomiasis.htm

Chiang mai Land Pool is clean.  Entry only 50 bahts.   Bath rooms and changing rooms are not very nice.

Lotus Pang Suan Kaew Pool is not bad but water is abit cloudy, i.e. not very clean?, Entry 100 Bahts.

Sangrila Hotel, Huge Pool, salt and chlorine treated.  Never tried it but look REALLY good.  Entry fees 300 baths.

Center of The Universe, very clean.  Salt treated.  Entry fees 200 baths.

Edited by Maccheroncini

Jeezzzzee !!!

You all got me scared and confused now. What is the name of that lake up near Chiang Dao, the one with the houseboats on it ?

I know its in Sri Lanna national park but there have been so many names passed around with regards best places to swim, best day out best .....

Worms !!! I was swimming there a month ago.

Snakes !!! I was swimming there a month ago

Ok I can tell you this, FORGET THE MOAT!  there're signs (in Thai) everywhere that dont want people to swim in it.  I think the only purpose of its existense is to preserving the historical values of the Old Chiang mai.  

I don't recommend the Haew Tung Tao either, parasitic worms can kill you.

http://www.cdc.gov/Ncidod/dpd/parasites/sc...stosomiasis.htm

According tou your information on schistosomiasis, it doesn't exist (or has never been reported) in Thailand, and the places where they exist, they are formed by urine and shit in the water, which they don't have in Huey Tung Taw in any quanity. And if you are afraid of snakes forget it, also. I have never seen a snake in Huey Tung Taw in over 20 years. But they do exist, so why worry? :o

Lotus Pang Suan Kaew Pool is not bad but water is abit cloudy, i.e. not very clean?, Entry 100 Bahts.

Sangrila Hotel, Huge Pool, salt and chlorine treated.  Never tried it but look REALLY good.  Entry fees 300 baths.

Center of The Universe, very clean.  Salt treated.  Entry fees 200 baths.

Nobody mentioned Hillside 4 pool (on Huay Kaew Road) -- 50B

And there was one at Amari Rincome -- 200B

Was used to visit them often, now live at Huay Kaew Residence and have a pool right in the yard. Somebody told me that it is 100B/mo for non-residents.