Modern Cowshed

A recent storm blew down part of the rickety overnight shelter for the cows on 'er farm upcountry. Since we have since added to the herd I decided to build a proper storm proof cowshed with mangers and clean water supply. I insisted that the floor be concreted with a slight incline to assist in hosing down and keeping the place clean.

The building is now almost completed but brother and sister in law who tend the property have concreted only half of the floor area. The other half is a morass of mud and dung. I have argued that hygiene is of the utmost importance for animals as it is for humans, and the liquefied cow crap would be easier to spread over the arable land, and so I want them to complete the job. Since they work very hard and we are on excellent terms I am at a lost to understand their reluctance.

What I know about farming could be written on a bus ticket but I have seen pictures of tiled housing for domestic cattle in the UK. The relatives say that a concrete floor is unnecessary and that the cows do not like it. My view is that I don't like inoculations or dental check-ups but they make sense and help ensure my wellbeing. The cattle will get used to it. I am not looking to provide OTT upmarket accommodation but taking what I think is a practical approach. Am I being unnecessarily fussy? Is there some Thai phobia about treating animals sympathetically?

Your relatives are right, Thai cattle don't like concrete floors, nor are they good for them either here or in any other country. When you see bare concrete floors, it is usually only in milking parlours where the cows are only stood for a short time. What you see in photos from the UK, like most other things has little use in Thailand. All cow houses in the UK have concrete floors, however, they are bedded on thick straw, something that is a big NO NO here. Remember Thais come from Thailand & know slightly more about the way things work here than you or I?

A half concrete floor is the ideal here, the concrete being laid at the front of the house where the cows will stand & eat, the earth floor to the rear is where through choice they will lay down; they will choose this area to sleep, even if covered in muck. Sounds like your relatives have done a grand job with the building!

I'm sure there is no Thai phobia regarding treating animals without sympathy or respect, certainly not in farming circles, where you must remember, livestock is wealth.

A recent storm blew down part of the rickety overnight shelter for the cows on 'er farm upcountry. Since we have since added to the herd I decided to build a proper storm proof cowshed with mangers and clean water supply. I insisted that the floor be concreted with a slight incline to assist in hosing down and keeping the place clean.

The building is now almost completed but brother and sister in law who tend the property have concreted only half of the floor area. The other half is a morass of mud and dung. I have argued that hygiene is of the utmost importance for animals as it is for humans, and the liquefied cow crap would be easier to spread over the arable land, and so I want them to complete the job. Since they work very hard and we are on excellent terms I am at a lost to understand their reluctance.

What I know about farming could be written on a bus ticket but I have seen pictures of tiled housing for domestic cattle in the UK. The relatives say that a concrete floor is unnecessary and that the cows do not like it. My view is that I don't like inoculations or dental check-ups but they make sense and help ensure my wellbeing. The cattle will get used to it. I am not looking to provide OTT upmarket accommodation but taking what I think is a practical approach. Am I being unnecessarily fussy? Is there some Thai phobia about treating animals sympathetically?

Hi Bagwan

I agree with fruity. I started raising cattle in a shed with a concrete floor then built a new, much larger, shed without one.

The greatest problem of concrete floors is that cattle can very easily slip on them, to their injury (unless bedded with straw – with its attendant risks of snakes, etc. - or left covered with manure, which defeats the purpose).

Sure, there are going to be worms in the manure, but you should be worming your cattle every six months to deal with this. There really are no hygiene issues with a shed without concrete. Do, however, prevent build-ups of mud in areas where the cattle may have to stand – foot rot can develop from standing in mud.

Rgds

Khonwan

Thank you for your replies. I now know enough about farming for it to be written on TWO bus tickets. :D I shall follow your advice and accede to my in laws wishes - and obviously superior knowledge. I shall also be putting my plans to raise penguins on the back burner. :o