Immunity From Mosquitoes

sweetchariot

When I was a kid, I was highly reactive to spider bites, producing silver-dollar sized welts on my skin. The Dr. suggested B1, and did not have a problem from then on. Still use it as a repellent against mosquitoes, and seems to do the trick.

this caught my interest. how many times have you been bitten by spiders, what kind of spiders, and were/are you sure you were bitten by spiders. cheers.

Many people are bitten by spiders and don't realise it

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think by far the most interesting pint on this thread is the theory that we all get bitten it’s just that some of us react more to the bites than others.

I can easily believe this as almost all the ideas about why someone doesn’t get bitten have no basis in fact.

Mozzies don’t have a sense of smell, I’m lead to believe that they sense/chase CO2 (?) and some are light sensitive but their sensory organs are not similar to humans. So how do they differentiate between victims?...answer, they can’t....unless they don’t know they’re there.....so light clothing at night and less heavy breathing maybe???

Saw a program on TV a while back (in the UK). It was about the fact that mossies tend to bite ancles and feet. The theory was that it was ue to smell (or chemicals given off by the feet and other smelly pats) that attract them. They did two interesting experiments. They say a man in a room filled with mossies in just his briefs (at the riht time for mossie bites I guess). He was bitten many times, but the greatest volume was around his ancles. They then proceeded to test with certain dutch cheeses that smelled like feet (no, seriously!). They found that the mossies were also attracted to that too, but noty other cheeses (even smelly ones that smell nothing like feet).

Sensing CO2, erm would this be termed as 'smelling' then?

If we all get bitten to more or less the same extent but some are not sensitive to the bites, it would be logical to conclude that these “fortunate” people are in fact MORE at risk of catching Dengue or Malaria than those who suffer from the bites as deterrents would seem unnecessary to them.

Only if you exclude the facts that most mossies do not carry either disease and that those that do are regional (at least in density of infection), as I see no geograohical groupings here (we are probably including holiday makers with expats and city, coastal, rurall etc) that would allow us to make such a claim otherwise. For instance, those that get bitten a lot, what percentage live in a non-industrialised area, an area with lots of standing water, border areas, near or in forrestry, etc. There are just so many factors that it becomes impossible on a forum such as this to derive anything really, other than people do get bit. It would need sets of people in high malarial/dengue areas with the same lifestyle, habbits, diet, etc to be monitored. Or better to make a set of people live exactly the same, eat the same, wear the same clothes and stay in each others company for a sustained amount of time to get an basic evidence an even then the grouip would have to be large enough to remove other factors like how sweaty they are as individuals, BO, bad breath, smokers, blood chemistry etc. I would say such studies are hard to proove with so many variables.

I think by far the most interesting pint on this thread is the theory that we all get bitten it’s just that some of us react more to the bites than others.

I can easily believe this as almost all the ideas about why someone doesn’t get bitten have no basis in fact.

Mozzies don’t have a sense of smell, I’m lead to believe that they sense/chase CO2 (?) and some are light sensitive but their sensory organs are not similar to humans. So how do they differentiate between victims?...answer, they can’t....unless they don’t know they’re there.....so light clothing at night and less heavy breathing maybe???

Saw a program on TV a while back (in the UK). It was about the fact that mossies tend to bite ancles and feet. The theory was that it was ue to smell (or chemicals given off by the feet and other smelly pats) that attract them. They did two interesting experiments. They say a man in a room filled with mossies in just his briefs (at the riht time for mossie bites I guess). He was bitten many times, but the greatest volume was around his ancles. They then proceeded to test with certain dutch cheeses that smelled like feet (no, seriously!). They found that the mossies were also attracted to that too, but noty other cheeses (even smelly ones that smell nothing like feet).

If we all get bitten to more or less the same extent but some are not sensitive to the bites, it would be logical to conclude that these “fortunate” people are in fact MORE at risk of catching Dengue or Malaria than those who suffer from the bites as deterrents would seem unnecessary to them.

Only if you exclude the facts that most mossies do not carry either disease and that those that do are regional (at least in density of infection), as I see no geograohical groupings here (we are probably including holiday makers with expats and city, coastal, rurall etc) that would allow us to make such a claim otherwise. For instance, those that get bitten a lot, what percentage live in a non-industrialised area, an area with lots of standing water, border areas, near or in forrestry, etc. There are just so many factors that it becomes impossible on a forum such as this to derive anything really, other than people do get bit. It would need sets of people in high malarial/dengue areas with the same lifestyle, habbits, diet, etc to be monitored. Or better to make a set of people live exactly the same, eat the same, wear the same clothes and stay in each others company for a sustained amount of time to get an basic evidence an even then the grouip would have to be large enough to remove other factors like how sweaty they are as individuals, BO, bad breath, smokers, blood chemistry etc. I would say such studies are hard to proove with so many variables.

i think you've completely gone off the point I was making....given a constant - we all get bitten the same but some don't feel it then those that don't feel it would take less precautions so are more likely to get bitten by infected mosquitoes so the rates of infection in that group would be higher.

PS - Dengue is NOT limited to rural areas, you a more likely to catch it in urban areas as it has to be transmitted from one person to aanother by mosquito and this is easier in a dense population.

Helps on the way for nre repellants, but don't wait up. Probably a few years before you see anything new on the shelves here. (See attached). I am fortunate, the house where I live is in an open area with many birds dive bombing around the windows. I undersand birds can eat an incredible amount of mosquitos. There are some fish ponds on the other side of the perimiter wall, but this has not seemed produce any more. Most of the time, the area around my house is almost mosquito free.

new_bug_repellents.rtf

When I was a young lad, I ran away from home and slept in a big, Salvation Army collection box that was full of mossie nests and was bitten over and over all night long. I don't know if they avoid me now or if I am immune to their bite, but I never feel one biting me and I never get the red bumps that I used to get before I slept in that box.

Last time I slept in a box I got a nasty red bump on my .... oh, sorry ... talking bout the wrong kinda box....

Edited by cluezo

i think you've completely gone off the point I was making....given a constant - we all get bitten the same but some don't feel it then those that don't feel it would take less precautions so are more likely to get bitten by infected mosquitoes so the rates of infection in that group would be higher.

PS - Dengue is NOT limited to rural areas, you a more likely to catch it in urban areas as it has to be transmitted from one person to aanother by mosquito and this is easier in a dense population.

Sure, I didn't mean to attack your post, just commenting on the studies really - which you DID ask about and someone posted a few examples of. I also didn't say the Dengue, or malia for that, was more prevalent in or out of town, I just stated that different areas and diferent environments are not directly comparable. Read my post again, I am not stating specifically which 'type' of area etc is more dangerous.

Only the female mozzie bites, and then only once in 24 hours so multiple bites always come from multiple mosquitoes.

You gotta be kiddin' -- one mozzie lady in a festive mood can easily accomplish 5-6 large bumps. Within minutes...! :o

Immunity From Mosquitoes, Is it possible? Of course it is. Wear a tight fitting bee-keeper's suit 24/7. Sure, it might be a tad warm and uncomfortable but it's sure beats getting Malaria or Dengue. Wouldn't reccommend going to a job interview in one, though.

Immunity From Mosquitoes, Is it possible? Of course it is. Wear a tight fitting bee-keeper's suit 24/7. Sure, it might be a tad warm and uncomfortable but it's sure beats getting Malaria or Dengue. Wouldn't reccommend going to a job interview in one, though.

Could just wear a deet soaked mossie net - that would be cooler :o

Not so sure about the drinking and smoking or the mental states stopping mosquitoes. :o

One strange method that I found that works without seriously dangerous sprays and smoke is below which was sent to me last year.

Mosquito Spray...Worth a try

I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared. The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well.. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby. During the summer, I don't leave home without it.

MY FRIEND'S COMMENTS: I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors. It works - in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it cost me $1.89. It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not as expensive to use as the can of Bug-spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes. So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don't spray directly on a wood door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames.

:D

"This was one of my original points. I think that if I suffered like you do I would probably re-assess my choice of domicile. Do you not think you would be better off in a mozzie free country?

Please don't think I am having a dig, I just want to know your thoughts on this. To be constantly worried about mozzies can't lead to a normal happy life, can it?"

I can't say I worry about it - it's just irritating.

A mozzie free country would be nice - but they tend to be cold!

Definetely going to try the Listerine idea!

the welts caused by the mossie bites are actually caused by the toxins in the person own blood reacting with their own skin

not something to do with the mossie itself but the persons own blood

puts a differnt perspective on things thats for sure

Hey Listerine guys.... can we be a bit more precise about this???

These days, there are several different varieties/flavors of Listerine... the original stinky golden-color kind, I think some newer blue-ish minty kind, and maybe another....

And then, there are the generic versions (Target, etc.) of Listerine-like products....

What particular version of people been using with some success???

These days, there are several different varieties/flavors of Listerine... the original stinky golden-color kind, I think some newer blue-ish minty kind, and maybe another....

And then, there are the generic versions (Target, etc.) of Listerine-like products....

No generic brands from what I understand. Only the following formulas apply.

post-17974-1213062175_thumb.jpg

I'm an Australian RN, lived everywhere including Middle East, USA, now Pattaya, and can tell you that Mozzie bites evoke a histomine response. Typically, an allergic reaction is worse after you have been exposed once. Like penicillin or peanuts, the first response can be either minimal or significant, but the subsequent response, if you have a true allergy, can be life threatening. Different countries, or even different districts can have different species, and you may be immune to Australian mozzies, but have a big reaction to Thai mozzies. The best way to stop the night time itching is to take 10mg of phenergan, if you can get it in Thailand. Bring it with you, (over the counter elsewhere). Some other anti histimine tablets may help. DEET sprays, etc have some protective properties, but if you are prone to an allergic response, cover up, long sleeves and long trousers. Don't scratch the bites. You might find that rubbing alcohol on the unscratched bite helps, eg Sang Som or some other cheap whisky - it

Mozzies have been here longer than we have. They have evolved to a degree that it is in their make up to attack the feet, back of the legs etc., places were they cannot be seen. Smart little b^ggrs.

Good luck

I hear about, and know many expats (and tourists) who are bothered by mozzies.

I personally have never had a mozzie bite in my life, and assumed they didn't like me due to my diet/ smoking.

However my brother came to visit from the UK a few months back, and had a different theory. We sat outside the house for a few beers on his first night, and he did get very well munched.

He is in the UK Armed Forces, and has been to pretty much every sh1thole you can imagine. His theory (from vast experience, apparently were they have to throw 'bug bombs' in the toilet before they enter) is that;

Mozzie bite reactions are only down to your physiology. People (99%) have a reaction to the anaesthetic that they inject before sucking your blood. A few lucky ones don't have this reaction, and although bitten just as much don't know about it.

I heard lots of stuff about quinnine years ago, always a good excuse for a G&T, but I have read that this has been disproved.

I only ever drink beer, quite alot but only 2 or 3 times a week. I don't drink spirits, and never drink at home. I smoke, on average, about a pack and a half a day of Marlboro Lights.

I Know a guy who drinks the same as me (although quite alot more), and still has problems with mozzie bites. He eats a similar diet to me, and is not overweight (same-ish to me).

So, any experts out there have an answer? I must admit I would be seriously less inclined to stay here if I was worried about the mozzies all the time.

Sorry for the long post, but this has been on my mind for quite sometime.

Cheers,

SC

I get bit a lot...but I carry around a small tub of cortizone and this makes the itch disappear in minutes....won't help much if I run into bloody mary tho

This has to be one of the longest running topics!

I grew up in mozzie country (Montana USA). I found them even on glaciers at 3000m! Circumnavigating many years ago, I contracted Dengue fever in Papeete Tahiti. 10 days of incredible, hallucinogenic dreaming! Wouldn't wish it for anyone, though.

As a health pro I have found no definitive prevention that is a "one size fits all". I consume B1 in the form of brewer's or nutritional yeast daily for good health in general. The more organic, whole food, raw veggies one consumes the less difficulty one has with anything and everything. The less poison one consumes, i.e. alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, etc. .....same same.

From the scientific source of a juice drink bottle cap, it is said that people who eat bananas are more attractive to mozzies. Think about that one!

I slept under mozzie netting all the time I was in Siam a few months ago, but it was the dry cool season too. but, I'll be back soon to experience life there year around! cheers

Why would anyone even touch this crap?! If you don't have a toxic body your brreath will be fine. There is no such thing as "a better world through chemistry (manmade)."

No generic brands from what I understand. Only the following formulas apply.

(mozzies generally don't stray more than 200 metres from a water source)

That reminds me of another supposed thing I remember hearing mentioned here in the past. Some folks were arguing that living in a very high floor of apartment or condo building, like 20+, meant they were free of mosquitos.... But other folks said...no way... they lived high and still were getting mozzies without fail...

I'm on the second floor...so... no help for me!

I live on the 6th floor in Jomtien and never get bitten at home .Dont think they can go over 3 floors high .

This has to be one of the longest running topics!

I grew up in mozzie country (Montana USA). I found them even on glaciers at 3000m! Circumnavigating many years ago, I contracted Dengue fever in Papeete Tahiti. 10 days of incredible, hallucinogenic dreaming! Wouldn't wish it for anyone, though.

As a health pro I have found no definitive prevention that is a "one size fits all". I consume B1 in the form of brewer's or nutritional yeast daily for good health in general. The more organic, whole food, raw veggies one consumes the less difficulty one has with anything and everything. The less poison one consumes, i.e. alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, etc. .....same same.

From the scientific source of a juice drink bottle cap, it is said that people who eat bananas are more attractive to mozzies. Think about that one!

I slept under mozzie netting all the time I was in Siam a few months ago, but it was the dry cool season too. but, I'll be back soon to experience life there year around! cheers

As a Kiwi, my folk believed the vitamin B1 theory.

My bro and I, were given sammies, toast with VEGEMITE or MARMITE, made from used brewers yeast.

I vist LoS and Pacific islands and Australia......NZ of course.

All these places have skeeters of varying types.

I do not say never, but I cannot recall being bitten by Skeeters, even fleas from blotty cat, do not bite.

My breakfast most days consists of at least a couple slices of toast laden with Vegemite, love the stuff.

I have no other reason for my seemingly being immune to Skeeters.

Last August, in Chiang Mai, a group us sitting outside watched mozzies land on my bare legs and immediately fly off.

Others were being bitten

My bro and our kids, when living at home, were also not bitten.

Anybody any theory.

Edited by Zpete

Couple of weeks ago I was on Samet with my TGF.

Lots of mozzies there and got bitten a fair amount. Some bites were very itchy, but others not.

However, my GF had some cream you can buy at 7/11. It comes in a pink satchel and it has some Thai abbreviation on it and "15". I forget what the name is. It works a charm on us! It smells nice, you can apply it anywhere and it worked very well.

One minute, inundation, after application, gone.

One thing about cold countries (Norway): No mozzies when cold, but man, you go into the bush in summer, you eaten alive.

Boggy country is the worst, of course.

BTW, any incidence of dengue in Sri Racha/Chonburi or the Lat Phrao area in BKK?

Might be hard to find out...there have been some cases in Pattaya a couple of years back that I knoew, I doubt if the situation has changed much for the better there.

Edited by wilko

OK guys... the Listerine thing is just an urban myth.

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/dishsoap.asp

"....spraying Listerine around your home or outdoor areas isn't an all-purpose mosquito preventive. It may kill some mosquitoes on which it is directly sprayed, but it won't serve to keep knocking mosquitoes dead for hours and hours afterwards. It may also have limited effectiveness as a mosquito repellant, but you get what you pay for ? DEET will repel mosquitoes more effectively for much longer than solutions concocted from commercial household products intended for completely different purposes"

Avon SKIN SO SOFT cream does work for awhile... has to be put on often, but it's also a moisturizer and SPF15 sunblock.

"I believe one of the B vitamins (can't remember which one) is excreted on the skin if taken in excess, and this puts off mosquitoes. "

On the advice of a friend I take b-6 b-12 vitamin, I still get biten ocassionaly but certianly a lot then before I made the change.

But I got nailed at Lickeys place :o

• 5 weeks later...

Well...........

I sat outside watching the storm tonight, and was only covered in my midsection. I fell asleep, much to the missus's dismay - you will get eaten by mosquitoes. No I won't, I said, I am immune.

I awoke to a holy plague of these mofo's, and I have been bitten!! I've got 2 little blisters on the back of 1 hand, and one on the other, looks like I've burned myself cooking.

I am a bit p1ssed off now, and I know how Superman must have felt when he met Kryptonite.

OK, so immunity is not possible, but from what she said 3 bites was pretty lucky in a swarm :o

The Thai mozzies don't bother me much but the German sort raises bumps on me as big as a 10 baht coin.

They're big and brutal here.

And the Aussie mozzies come a close second.

However, none of them like Tiger Balm so I smear my ankles, elbows and the back of my neck before I go out evenings so the

little mothers go for the OP instead.