Road Rage In Thailand...

cluezo

you said you used to be in the army and you could not withstand 2 thais?...

Sounds like a troll to me

What sort of wan$ker are you this man got the sh$t kicked out him you are a total fool to think it is easy to fight more than one person at same time you do not know how old this man is

First of all thanks, highlander. Secondly, "rewet," I was never in the Army - I was in the Marines (two combat tours, 2 Purple Hearts, and a Bronze Star). I was also the Marine/Navy lightweight boxing champ two years in a row and took 2nd place in the All Forces Sniping Competion in 1970. Don't make me out to be a pussy. I know/knew how to fight and kill Thirdly, it was not 2 Thais who attacked me, it was 3! And two of them were young strong, tough bastards. You think Thais are all small? Better get rid of that stereotype. Lastly, Vietnam was a long time ago. I'm 60 years old now. I sufferered a stroke in November. I have less motor control on the right side of my body. I'm the first to admit the I can't fight my way outside a wet paper bag. And I admit it was stupid to flip the bird. But I did, Might do it again, who knows? I'm old now and not the ass-kicker I once once was but don't insult me again. You don't have a clue.

No hassle mate Rewket sounds d&ckhead got a lot mates in army and have a lot of respect for them

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What sort of wan$ker are you this man got the sh$t kicked out him you are a total fool to think it is easy to fight more than one person at same time you do not know how old this man is

First of all thanks, highlander. Secondly, "rewet," I was never in the Army - I was in the Marines (two combat tours, 2 Purple Hearts, and a Bronze Star). I was also the Marine/Navy lightweight boxing champ two years in a row and took 2nd place in the All Forces Sniping Competion in 1970. Don't make me out to be a pussy. I know/knew how to fight and kill Thirdly, it was not 2 Thais who attacked me, it was 3! And two of them were young strong, tough bastards. You think Thais are all small? Better get rid of that stereotype. Lastly, Vietnam was a long time ago. I'm 60 years old now. I sufferered a stroke in November. I have less motor control on the right side of my body. I'm the first to admit the I can't fight my way outside a wet paper bag. And I admit it was stupid to flip the bird. But I did, Might do it again, who knows? I'm old now and not the ass-kicker I once once was but don't insult me again. You don't have a clue.

No hassle mate Rewket sounds d&ckhead got a lot mates in army and have a lot of respect for them

of course you do, if you don't they'll ass rape your dominated ass.

If i had not stopped working out due to me breaking 2 fingers when i got to thailand, then lazyness. i would not mind taking 3.. i have taken more than 1 farang openement before.. nothing special if you know how to fight

of course you do, if you don't they'll ass rape your dominated ass.

If i had not stopped working out due to me breaking 2 fingers when i got to thailand, then lazyness. i would not mind taking 3.. i have taken more than 1 farang openement before.. nothing special if you know how to fight

Dude, I'm out of shape I sit around on the computer most of the day, occasionally to the gym, shop and eat fatty foods. I'm 32 and I will happily whoop your azz alone, well almost alone, with a camera man of course so he can take some pics mabey a video for the amusement of all our Thai visa friends here. If you want attention lets get you some, a lil blood is a small price to pay for our amusement. I'll be happy to do it just on GP. I mean, I don't know Cluzo from Adam, but just for the simple fact that you have no respect. Not about being dominated. Its about having a lil respect. Apparently your pops never whooped your azz as a kid. Let film it tough guy I got that beatin you have been missing all your life.....just don't call me daddy I don't think that would sound too kosher coming from a dude.

Oh and yes I'm serious, please really...I don't care how old or how big you are either, no weapons just a good old scrap. Ya lucky Cluzo's 60 or he'd probably kill you, I'll just embarrass ya.

Hi Cluezo, If this had to happen to you, i bet you wish it was 30odd years ago, a man of your background would have taken them to the "ground and pound" very quickly. Hope you are ok and the aches and pains have gone.

Something that happens in our village and i havent seen it mentioned here is that a motorsi rider who wants to turn right will wait in the left side of his lane till both lanes are clear, then make the manouvere,

When i first came here, i tried to turn right from the middle of the road, small bikes came past me on my right side pipping horn ect, same with trucks, I think its called tunnel vision, if the road ahead isnt clear when they want to go straight. Same when people turn left out of a side road onto a major road, do they look where the danger is coming from,there right? NO, straight out!!

Hope you are well on the way to recovery, Cheers, Lickey..

Giving the finger is universally understood,

the severity of possible consequences may differ but always expect a response,

In LA you may have been sprayed with a Glock, here you just got thumped a little but it could have been a lot worse as you realize now,

Stay cool and you'll always stay in control :o

Edited by cobra

Cluezo, I hope you are well now and that you have no permanent injuries. Back here in the states if you flip some one off you run the very real chance of being shot. It didn't use to be that way, but now there are a lot of angry people on the road. Again, I hope you are well and recover fully.

Hi Cluezo, If this had to happen to you, i bet you wish it was 30odd years ago, a man of your background would have taken them to the "ground and pound" very quickly. Hope you are ok and the aches and pains have gone.

Something that happens in our village and i havent seen it mentioned here is that a motorsi rider who wants to turn right will wait in the left side of his lane till both lanes are clear, then make the manouvere,

When i first came here, i tried to turn right from the middle of the road, small bikes came past me on my right side pipping horn ect, same with trucks, I think its called tunnel vision, if the road ahead isnt clear when they want to go straight. Same when people turn left out of a side road onto a major road, do they look where the danger is coming from,there right? NO, straight out!!

Hope you are well on the way to recovery, Cheers, Lickey..

I was waiting in teh middle of the road to turn right into a parking lot (ironically, I was going to go back to catch a turn I wanted but had been in thw wrong lane and felt it was safer to go forward and not cut across traffic).

When the onciming traffic cleared, I started my turn only to be hit by a mototcycle driver who tried to pass me on the right and in the oncoming lane (plus he didn't have his lights on.)

At first, teh police accused him of passing me illegally, but when it turned out he had no license nor insurance, and that his ankel was borken, it suddenly became me who was somehow at fault.

No license, No insurance = Not your fault should, not have been on the road ! You pay ? No! Lets see your chances of winning in court! :o

winning in court ? About the same chances as winning lottery...... Pay what the guy asks, and that's it...quicker, cheaper, hassle free ! I know it is not the way it should be, but it is the easiest one !

The sois, roads, streets and highways are brimming with danger in every form. The cops don't bother to enforce anything. It truly madness. We from the West are blown away by this. But if you gonna live in Thailand you have no choice but to accept it. Crazy world!

It is a fact that Thailand is a traditional society with a feudal history and culture, and is in transition. However, Thai traditional culture is still valued as the highest standard in the Country, and traditional Thai culture is feudal. Again, this is obvious and if you need me to substantiate it with academic references I will send you a PM, but I don't think you do. You can see elements of feudal culture in modern Thai society, that have been substituted with modern scenarios and objects. During the Sak Dina system, everyone in Thai society had a numbered rank so that they would be sure of their place in relation to others. In contemporary Thailand, mobile phones and other outward displays of wealth and groupings serve to announce your "rank" to others, and on the road it is clearly obvious with the law of "big" vehicles and "little" vehicles, including the make and price of the vehicle. Some people view this as charming or quaint, some people view it as neutral or non-existent, and some people think it is distasteful. Jimmy the Mook stated both a fact and his own opinion. We are all free to disagree with opinion, but unless you can refute it with fact you are simply advocating another opinion, which makes for interesting discussions.

JimmyTheMook wrote "The traffic behind the accident could not even foking wait for the injured boy to be moved or for an ambulance to come and assist

him as they were all just driving around him as he laid in the middle of the highway."

This is exactly the same behaviour as exhibited by drivers in the video - 10 cars drove passed, 2 drove up & turned around & group of pedestrians

went & had a look but did not help.

When I posted the link to the video I was not aware that the hit & run driver was an illegal immigrant, but this has no bearing on the subsequent

behaviour of the passing drivers & gawking onlookers.

"Jimmy the Mook stated both a fact and his own opinion." - He is of course intitled to have an opinion but I strongly disagree that he stated a

'fact', I am assuming here that you mean Thailand is 'feudal'. But I agree with you when you say "You can see elements of feudal culture in modern

Thai society", I can also see elements of feudalism in all Western cultures too. I think the argument at this point becomes more an academic

discussion about Thai/Western culture & less about driving habits. Whilst you have made valid arguments, expressed sensible opinions, I still take

issue with what JimmyTheMook wrote which I will quote...

"When you look beneath the surface here, under layer is really feudal and ugly and I am strongly considering to just go back home where at least we

have laws and people on the most part tend to be decent to each other or should I just let my kids grow up around 3rd Worlders like this?"

This may be his opinion, but I read it as being derogatory & contemptuous towards Thai people. By using "feudal and ugly" he is not making any

meaningful comment on Thai society.

What is he implying here .. "where .... people on the most part tend to be decent to each other", that Thai people are not decent to one another?

"should I just let my kids grow up around 3rd Worlders like this?" - a snide remark begging for the answer... "Yes, if you feel this way leave

immediately on the first plane out!"

The Thai people, their culture & society are not perfect, but sometimes people like JimmyTheMook need to be reminded that their own culture & society

are not so perfect either.

Kat - I have absolutely no problems with what you have written & it makes a nice change to have somebody spend the time & effort to put forward their

point of view.

I'm in charge of 17 foreign teachers at the largest school in Rayong. We have teachers from the UK, US, Canada, Japan & China. Most of them are pretty decent people but there are a few white-skinned teachers who constantly belittle Thai teachers and, for that matter, constantly belittle Thailand and Thai people in general. "Then why are you here," I ask. I never get a straight answer - but I don't need one. I know why they are here. They've got nothing waiting for them at home. No job, no family, no money. Thailand is like a homeless shelter for thousand of anglos who couldn't make it at home. They should be grateful to find a place that gives them a job - food and shelter - yet they bitch, bitch, bitch... Bitter, broken people. Sad. :o

And I'm not sure how you reach the conclusion "that a large portion of drivers" in the American cities you cite are "unlicensed or uninsured". What basis are you citing this on, your own visual identification?

As an example of a worst case scenario, I would encourage you to do some research on Maywood (Los Angeles) California. Maywood is 97% Hispanic and only about half the population are US citizens. In an effort to prevent what they felt was police racial discrimination, the city council disbanded the police department's traffic enforcement division because it "unfairly" stereotyped and profiled illegal immigrants. Well, duh ... if half the population are known to be in the country illegally then it can hardly be called profiling, can it?

In the event of an accident or a traffic violation, I'm perfectly fine with settling things on the spot with a transaction agreed to by all parties involved. Keep the lawyers, legislators and courts out of it, unless there is something very serious such as injury or death by negligence such as speeding, drunking driving, unlicensed driving, etc.

Yes, believe it or not, I agree with your comment above. I think people need to take responsibility for their behavior on ALL sides. I am very progressive, but I think it is important that the laws and civic duties of a society for public good should be protected and observed by adopted citizens.

*But, I'm not so sure about the insurance. No doubt, the American version can do with some reform, but I think the informal method such as in LOS leaves too much room for personal influence, intimidation, and corruption.

It is a fact that Thailand is a traditional society with a feudal history and culture, and is in transition. However, Thai traditional culture is still valued as the highest standard in the Country, and traditional Thai culture is feudal. Again, this is obvious and if you need me to substantiate it with academic references I will send you a PM, but I don't think you do. You can see elements of feudal culture in modern Thai society, that have been substituted with modern scenarios and objects. During the Sak Dina system, everyone in Thai society had a numbered rank so that they would be sure of their place in relation to others. In contemporary Thailand, mobile phones and other outward displays of wealth and groupings serve to announce your "rank" to others, and on the road it is clearly obvious with the law of "big" vehicles and "little" vehicles, including the make and price of the vehicle. Some people view this as charming or quaint, some people view it as neutral or non-existent, and some people think it is distasteful. Jimmy the Mook stated both a fact and his own opinion. We are all free to disagree with opinion, but unless you can refute it with fact you are simply advocating another opinion, which makes for interesting discussions.

JimmyTheMook wrote "The traffic behind the accident could not even foking wait for the injured boy to be moved or for an ambulance to come and assist

him as they were all just driving around him as he laid in the middle of the highway."

This is exactly the same behaviour as exhibited by drivers in the video - 10 cars drove passed, 2 drove up & turned around & group of pedestrians

went & had a look but did not help.

When I posted the link to the video I was not aware that the hit & run driver was an illegal immigrant, but this has no bearing on the subsequent

behaviour of the passing drivers & gawking onlookers.

"Jimmy the Mook stated both a fact and his own opinion." - He is of course intitled to have an opinion but I strongly disagree that he stated a

'fact', I am assuming here that you mean Thailand is 'feudal'. But I agree with you when you say "You can see elements of feudal culture in modern

Thai society", I can also see elements of feudalism in all Western cultures too. I think the argument at this point becomes more an academic

discussion about Thai/Western culture & less about driving habits. Whilst you have made valid arguments, expressed sensible opinions, I still take

issue with what JimmyTheMook wrote which I will quote...

"When you look beneath the surface here, under layer is really feudal and ugly and I am strongly considering to just go back home where at least we

have laws and people on the most part tend to be decent to each other or should I just let my kids grow up around 3rd Worlders like this?"

This may be his opinion, but I read it as being derogatory & contemptuous towards Thai people. By using "feudal and ugly" he is not making any

meaningful comment on Thai society.

What is he implying here .. "where .... people on the most part tend to be decent to each other", that Thai people are not decent to one another?

"should I just let my kids grow up around 3rd Worlders like this?" - a snide remark begging for the answer... "Yes, if you feel this way leave

immediately on the first plane out!"

The Thai people, their culture & society are not perfect, but sometimes people like JimmyTheMook need to be reminded that their own culture & society

are not so perfect either.

Kat - I have absolutely no problems with what you have written & it makes a nice change to have somebody spend the time & effort to put forward their

point of view.

"The Thai people, their culture & society are not perfect, but sometimes people need to be reminded that their own culture & society

are not so perfect either." (LC quote)

Yes, on this, we are in agreement, even if it is just for the sake of a better and more honest discussion. I always enjoy your discussion, LooseCannon, so thank you.

*added

Edited by kat

I suffer from road rage. In the U.S., it's almost an epedemic there. Here it's a different animal. I was on my bike on Suk in Rayong trying to make a u-turn. Behind me was a pickup truck blasting it's horn at me to move along faster. There was a slight drizzle and a lot of oncoming traffic. I took my time as the pickup kept blasting it's horn. I gave him the finger - he kept blasting. The rain started to come down hard and I finally made the u-turn and turned into a Shell station for cover until the rain stopped. Much to my dismay, the pick-up pulled up behind me. A tarp unfurled from the back of the pick-up and two Thais who had been under it because of the rain, hopped out along with the driver. To make a long story short, they beat the snot out of me and sped away. I'll keep my road rage under control in Thailand. Lesson learned.

You're quite lucky you got out of this with just a beating.

They have a truck, you're on a bike. You're a foreigner (basically scum in their eyes), they're Thai...I would have gotten out of their way immediately because they could have run you over. I'm actually surprised they didn't.

They did this with my landlord last year in Pattaya. He was turning right waiting for traffic to clear and the baht bus behind him got impatient and ran over his motorcycle (slowly to make a point) and caused him some injuries in the process. It was useless going to the police...they really didn't give a ***

Edited by tropo

The fact that a group of people would administer a beating in a public area (gas station) should make very clear to those in denial that there is a segment of the population that thinks they are untouchable. My experience has been that the real mafia types don't do such things because it's not worth the hassle and the time involved. Usually what you get are either severely disturbed people or folks filled with alot of anger for whatever reason. Those are the people that don't think straight and are most likely to kill someone. Although, once it happens they are very good at running off to a Temple to show remorse and in making puppy dog faces for the news cameras to show how badly they feel. Such types aren't worth dying for. Bite the lip and take comfort in knowing that at least you don't have as crappy a life as they do, for they are in a living hel_l.

I've flipped the bird quite a few times. After a bus tried to run us off the road not long ago by intentionally swerving violently, 3 month old baby in his car seat, I wanted to kill or severely hurt someone for the first time in my life. I no longer drive here, for the second time now, my driving license is in my wife's purse and she drives. I don't know now which is more dangerous, both my hands being free or my wife with her dangerous Thai driving habits. It's a lottery here and your number is due to come up much faster than it would in your country of birth. They'll never be able to fix that mess on the roads, people have been allowed too far for too long by now, and you'd need to flush 98% of the police force if they really wanted order out there, will never happen since the same incompetent and absolutely corrupt police force will remain in place. We're moving out within months and I avoid driving like the plague, f*&%ng hate it when I'm not driving.

Edited by Tony Clifton

I've had one incident which nearly turned into a physical confrontation. Without sounding melodramatic the choice was quite simple - walk away or get killed. No brainer!

It's so hard for us westerners to keep cool as we appreciate the risks and dangers in driving like a complete nobhead, but I try my best since this incident. Just have to remember that death is a likely outcome in any physical confrontation with a Thai.

Driving in Thailand brings out the worst in all of us.

I've had one incident which nearly turned into a physical confrontation. Without sounding melodramatic the choice was quite simple - walk away or get killed. No brainer!

It's so hard for us westerners to keep cool as we appreciate the risks and dangers in driving like a complete nobhead, but I try my best since this incident. Just have to remember that death is a likely outcome in any physical confrontation with a Thai.

Driving in Thailand brings out the worst in all of us.

Would like to hear your story. I wonder how many confrontations here result in death or serious injury? I'm sure hundreds of people have a shout or maybe some shoving before being separated and go on their way (albeit het up) without trying to decapitate the other. I even suspect that in more incidents than not, Thais will cut a farang more slack when it comes to restraining their physical intentions.

I've only seen one near road-rage incident on Ratchadamnoen where a taxi clipped a motorbike, making the driver fall off at slow speed. The taxi stopped a little further up the road and the biker was shouting and walking briskly towards the taxi driver. At this point the taxi driver realised it might not be such a pleasant exchange of insurance details, and quickly put his foot down and sped away. On seeing this and realising he couldn't catch up with the car, the biker threw his helmut towards the taxi amongst the queue of traffic!

I am from the US, and road rage does happen there, but not to the same extent that it happens here, in my opinion. And there are a lot more mea culpas there, where the offending driver in a situation slaps his or her forehead or otherwise shows that he or she is at fault and is sorry. I have had my erupting anger completely squashed when someone accidently cut me off and then apologized like that. I mean, it is not like I have never made a driving mistake.

Americans are also far more polite on the road anyway, in as far as letting in traffic, making way for other drivers, etc. Although I just got back from a trip to the middle of Europe, and the drivers there, on the whole, were much more polite than American drivers.

And my personal theory is that our road rage cases in the US are so well publicized that people realize it could happen, and they don't want to provoke such a case.

Thailand is different, in my opinion. First, there is very little respect for the rules of the road. People do what they want from driving the wrong way down the road, running red lights, driving where there are no lanes, etc. So driving becomes more dangerous, and that causes more potential for conflict.

The police don't seem to care, either. During rush hour, they become traffic cops, and out of rush hour, they check motorcycle drivers for licenses. I once saw a motorcycle cop on Sathorn nearly get broadsided by a car whose driver ran a red light. THe cop swerved to a halt and almost fell down as the car whizzed by inches away. In the US, that driver would have been arrested. Here, the cop merely righted his bike and rode on.

But I also have a pet theory. Most Thais I know are universally polite. Certainly on a daily basis, my Thai friends are more polite and less aggressive than my North American and European friends. I also feel that all people worldwide are basically the same, so the same inner frustrations and stress affect Thais as any farangs. But Thai culture does not readily allow for exuberance or aggressiveness. So I theorized that when a Thai gets in back of the wheel, that sort of isolates him or her from society and allows that driver to be more aggressive, to act with less politeness. The same Thai who would be unfailing polite in a business meeting when you are face-to-face might be the one who cuts you off and shouts at you when surrounded by the steel of his or her car.

This theory may be utter BS, but I think it sort of makes sense.

Never flipped the bird here, but have done the wrist "wanking" gesture.

Dont think the locals understand that. But after reading this, I think I'll stop.

Hope you're doing alright.

Thanks for your concern. Yeah, I'm gonna cool it too. Ain't worth it.

Anyone who carries an illegal loaded gun in a car or on his/her person in a foreign country is not the sharpest pencil in the box.

Imagine if they actually used the weapon... grey bar hotel for a long time....

Well said, Cuz. And sorry to hear that you paid the price so harshly!

As for driving here/anywhere.. I recall something a flight instructor said long, long ago that really stuck with me. "The one thing that will kill you the fastest when you are flying an aircraft is the pilot. Do..NOT..indulge..distractions!"

This has stuck with me, and likely saved my life many times over, through all my years of flying, driving and motorcycle riding all over the world.

How this relates to 'road rage' is, when you allow emotions to take over and are busy shooting fingers or yelling at people who are being ignorant/irresponsible drivers, guess what?

You just became one..

Some interesting posts you kicked up here, eh? Driving in Thailand is indeed a trip and rarely a pleasure when within city limits but that is pretty much true anywhere. While the traffic is far less regulated here, at least they see motorcycles whereas in the States they are invisible. The very recent headlights-on law here has been in force in the U.S. for many years for good reason.

Guns, clubs, fists, whatever. So often we are the very cause of our own adversities.

And like the poster above said about guys here on R&R from Iraq/Afghanistan - and as a very experienced combat vet - if someone points a gun at me he had better be vewwy, vewwy quick on the trigger or he will find the business end of it going off while several inches up his arrogant @SS. Been there...

Anyone who carries an illegal loaded gun in a car or on his/her person in a foreign country is not the sharpest pencil in the box.

Imagine if they actually used the weapon... grey bar hotel for a long time....

Well said, Cuz. And sorry to hear that you paid the price so harshly!

As for driving here/anywhere.. I recall something a flight instructor said long, long ago that really stuck with me. "The one thing that will kill you the fastest when you are flying an aircraft is the pilot. Do..NOT..indulge..distractions!"

This has stuck with me, and likely saved my life many times over, through all my years of flying, driving and motorcycle riding all over the world.

How this relates to 'road rage' is, when you allow emotions to take over and are busy shooting fingers or yelling at people who are being ignorant/irresponsible drivers, guess what?

You just became one..

Some interesting posts you kicked up here, eh? Driving in Thailand is indeed a trip and rarely a pleasure when within city limits but that is pretty much true anywhere. While the traffic is far less regulated here, at least they see motorcycles whereas in the States they are invisible. The very recent headlights-on law here has been in force in the U.S. for many years for good reason.

Guns, clubs, fists, whatever. So often we are the very cause of our own adversities.

And like the poster above said about guys here on R&R from Iraq/Afghanistan - and as a very experienced combat vet - if someone points a gun at me he had better be vewwy, vewwy quick on the trigger or he will find the business end of it going off while several inches up his arrogant @SS. Been there...

Well put, bro! Yeah I kicked a firestorm it seems...had no idea of the passion of this thread! BTW, I was with the 1st Marines '68-70 - mostly in I Corps but crossed a border or two (shh!) Where did you operate?

I live in Dubai and "slipping the finger" here is a criminal offence.

You think driving is bad in Thailand?

After driving here in Dubai Thailand seems like a very safe amd polite place to drive

I don't know about safer but definitely less expensive, those damm cameras racked me up like $500 in less than a week last time I was there. Dubai Traffic is sick.

You flipped some guy the finger and got beaten up for it. It took you how many years before you learned that lesson?
he should have spent less time in life learning how to be rude and more time studying karate.....

Thank you, wise one.... :o