Thai Citizenship For Canadian

My wife is Thai living in Canada with me and I am a Canadian. She is twisitng my arm (not really, I love the idea!) to retire in Thailand :o What is the best way to get a Thai Passport and how long usually does it take? Thanks.

Edited by dude123

My wife is Thai living in Canada with me and I am a Canadian. She is getting me ready to retire in Thailand :D What is the best way to get a Thai Passport and how long usually does it take? Thanks.

It takes at least 8-10 years to get Thai passport IMHO. :o

Just a fast reply. You can't apply for a Thai passport yet. You have to live for 5 years in Thailand and have a Residency Permit. Getting that last one requires 3 years constant living in Thailand and is a whole process by it self. For now just get a non-O on basis of your marriage.

More info: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=121353

The sory of someone who went htrough the whole process.

If you are over 50 you can get yearly extensions with income of 65,000 Baht a month OR 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank.

If you are not you can get yearly extensions with a family income of 40,000 Baht a month.

If neither of these options you will have a problem to stay without leaving the country every 90 days.

Just a fast reply. You can't apply for a Thai passport yet. You have to live for 5 years in Thailand and have a Residency Permit. Getting that last one requires 3 years constant living in Thailand and is a whole process by it self. For now just get a non-O on basis of your marriage.

Thanks Mario, that helps greatly! May I just ask what a "non-O" is?

A Non Immigrant O Visa which will give you a 90 day stay.

You may be able to get a Multi Entry which would give you up to 15 month stay but would mean leaving the country every 90 days and coming back.

Edited by Lite Beer

Thanks Mario, that helps greatly! May I just ask what a "non-O" is?

Non-O is non-immigrant O(ther) class visa, given to people married to a thai national.

If you are over 50 you can get yearly extensions with income of 65,000 Baht a month OR 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank.

If you are not you can get yearly extensions with a family income of 40,000 Baht a month.

If neither of these options you will have a problem to stay without leaving the country every 90 days.

Just turned 50 and can deposit in a Thai bank. If I get a yearly extension, does this mean I have to exit and re-enter Thailand after 12 months or can I just live there and get constant extensions?

Just turned 50 and can deposit in a Thai bank. If I get a yearly extension, does this mean I have to exit and re-enter Thailand after 12 months or can I just live there and get constant extensions?

Yes the money has to be in a Thai bank 3 months before you apply. You can extend this every year without leaving the country providing you have the money in the bank.

Edited by Lite Beer

Yes the money has to be in a Thai bank 3 months before you apply. You can extend this every year without leaving the country providing you have the money in the bank.

They make everything so simple, that is great news and again my thanks for replying. I'm looking very forward to live there and my wife is very excited to move back too.

It is highly unlikely that you would get Permanent Residentsy or Thai Citizenship.

It requires at least 3 years of Income Tax payments and you will not be working.

If I can live there 12 months at a time, and renew once a year, then I guess I could

care less if I get permanet residency unless it would have some major advantages for

me that I cannot see at the moment?

<br />
It is highly unlikely that you would get Permanent Residentsy or Thai Citizenship.<br />It requires at least 3 years of Income Tax payments and you will not be working.
<br /><br />If I can live there 12 months at a time, and renew once a year, then I guess I could<br />care less if I get permanet residency unless it would have some major advantages for<br />me that I cannot see at the moment?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

the permanent residency is a simple rip off that will cost you 200.000 THB just for the government fees, by exemple permanent residency in japan costs 2.500 bath.

the permanent residency is a simple rip off that will cost you 200.000 THB just for the government fees, by exemple permanent residency in japan costs 2.500 bath.

200,000 baht is nearly $7,000 canadian dollars. That is crazy. Guess just renewing a visa is the best way to go.

200,000 baht is nearly $7,000 canadian dollars. That is crazy. Guess just renewing a visa is the best way to go.

if married to a thai national, it is half the price.

But it is academic anyway, as you'll need three years of tax returns to be in the position of being eligible.

<br />
<br /><br />200,000 baht is nearly $7,000 canadian dollars. That is crazy. Guess just renewing a visa is the best way to go.<br />
<br /><br />if married to a thai national, it is half the price.<br /><br />But it is academic anyway, as you'll need three years of tax returns to be in the position of being eligible.<br />

does anyone know why they ask so much compared to evolved asian countries like japan in my example?

Normally permanent residency is just a paper change of your main place of residence from your country to the other, in my country(belgium) after you worked for 5 years you obtain automatically the permanent residency and so you can ask for belgian nationality aswell.

does anyone know why they ask so much compared to evolved asian countries like japan in my example?

Normally permanent residency is just a paper change of your main place of residence from your country to the other, in my country(belgium) after you worked for 5 years you obtain automatically the permanent residency and so you can ask for belgian nationality aswell.

I had to pay $1,000.00 for all the paperwork for my wife to get permanent residency status in Canada and thought that was too much but after reading this I can't complain. I will not seek PM in thailand anyway so it doesn't really matter. Renewing my visa every 12 months is not a problem.

Edited by dude123

I had to pay $1,000.00 for all the paperwork for my wife to get permanent residency status in Canada and thought that was too much but after reading this I can't complain. I will not seek PM in thailand anyway so it doesn't really matter. Renewing my visa every 12 months is not a problem.

Your only other requirement is that you have to report your address to immigration every 90 days.

Remember that you have 2 options:

1. visa based on retirement

(an income of 65,000 a month or 800,000 on a Thai bankaccount)

2. visa based on marriage to Thai national.

(a family income (you and your wife) of 40,000 a month)

Both are no problem, thanks. Now I just need to make sure I don't die before I make the move LOL. I would hate to miss out on all the fun.

Actually He has 3.

The Retirement Extension (not a visa) can be a combination of income and money in a bank.