Mcdonalds Or Burger King

Boater

Give me a good outback Burger with the lot any day.

Beetroot, Pineapple, beef, bacon, lettuce, tomato and cheese. (did I forget something?)

egg. you gotta have the egg. and onions. and toast the bun lightly first.

While I like junk food now and then, I actually eat it quite rarely. It's a treat; like the enormously unhealthy chocolate chip brownies that I bake up every other month or so.

All things in moderation, right? (Except beer, that is.)

The problem with these foods is the amount of processing involved....to call them food is really stretching things.

perhaps some should look up on how this stuff is produced.

Its not the same as Thai fast fast which does not involve the heavily developed production systems used in making a burger.

As balnced diet must include a wide range of food stuffs and food types, but there is nothing in a burger worth having on any level...least of all gourmett......the taste of burgers is chemically composed and uses various appetite stimulants to make you want to eat them...uin fact they use exactly the same principles as the tobacco companies do to make you come again and again to eat there rubbish.

Kao Man Gai and Kao Kaa Moo are both loaded with fat and refined carbs and are not any more healthy than a burger. That is why they taste so good. :D

:D Not the way i order: "mai'ow nang, nuea daeng! :D with the pork shank always x-tra kale, this roxz!

the only burgers i ever eaten that taste good are either ones I made or the home made ones made in down under!

it's up to u as they say here... :o

Edited by Samuian

Kao Man Gai and Kao Kaa Moo are both loaded with fat and refined carbs and are not any more healthy than a burger. That is why they taste so good. :D

:D Not the way i order: "mai'ow nang, nuea daeng! :D with the pork shank always x-tra kale, this roxz!

the only burgers i ever eaten that taste good are either ones I made or the home made ones made in down under!

it's up to u as they say here... :o

one would be hard-pushed to beat a made-to-order Aussie roadhouse burger - with a slice of beetroot!

What's especially nice about it is that most Americans reading this won't have a clue what I'm talking about so our secret is safe!

The problem with these foods is the amount of processing involved....to call them food is really stretching things.

Its not the same as Thai fast fast which does not involve the heavily developed production systems used in making a burger.

As balnced diet must include a wide range of food stuffs and food types, but there is nothing in a burger worth having on any level...least of all gourmett......the taste of burgers is chemically composed and uses various appetite stimulants to make you want to eat them...uin fact they use exactly the same principles as the tobacco companies do to make you come again and again to eat there rubbish.

Excuse me, but there is no protein in the beef or calcium in the cheese? Of course there is, and it is no different than any other kind of food. There is very little roughage/fiber, but white rice has none either, so Kao Man Gai and Kao Kaa Moo are very similar nutritionally.

Me thinks, someone has been reading a little too much sci-fi! :o

Excuse me, but there is no protein in the beef or calcium in the cheese? Of course there is, and it is no different than any other kind of food. There is very little roughage/fiber, but white rice has none either, so Kao Man Gai and Kao Kaa Moo are very similar nutritionally.

Me thinks, someone has been reading a little too much sci-fi! :o

there are proteins in all sorts of things...even some in tobacco but that don't make it food.

To say there is no roughage in white rice is simply wrong....the major source *(as with all "white" grains, a major part has been removed but there is still vegetable fiber left........not so in a burger. Furthermore the greens cooked with the pork will have fibre too.

"The diets we consume are highly processed and depleted in fiber, and that has a major adverse impact on health," --Edward Glovannucci, associate professor of medicine at Harvard University's school of public health.

Edited by wilko

To say there is no roughage in white rice is simply wrong....the major source *(as with all "white" grains, a major part has been removed but there is still vegetable fiber left........not so in a burger. Furthermore the greens cooked with the pork will have fibre too.

"The diets we consume are highly processed and depleted in fiber, and that has a major adverse impact on health," --Edward Glovannucci, associate professor of medicine at Harvard University's school of public health.

White rice has very little roughage or nutrition that the hamburger bun doesn't have. Both are considered refined carbohydrates. :o

White rice has very little roughage or nutrition that the hamburger bun doesn't have. Both are considered refined carbohydrates. :o

again not true...go and look up the figures for a McD bun...they are ultra refined and contain many other additives inc sugar....gram for gram they fall way behind white rice.

of course animal products have no fibre. so as a "complete" meal, a burger a la McD or BK will fall flat on its face compared to a plate of Thai food and rice.

.....I have a feeling you're just guessing here.....

Actually, I've studied nutrition for many years and am very interested in holistic health, however, I also realize that there are a lot of lies spread by food fashion quacks in the "health" industry, and you seem to believe all of them.

Refined carbs are refined carbs and sugar acts very much in the same way as white rice on the body.

As far as Thai food being better for you than a burger, well it depends on what you eat. Kao Man Gai and Kao Kaa Moo are both loaded with fat and have no vegetables that are any better than the lettuce and tomato in a burger.

Having read this thread out of professional interest I went out yesterday and bought a double cheese burger and a chicken burger at another of the big chains and here is my humble opinion:

1) The double cheese thing - the bun is sort of tasteles and does not add anything except holding the thing together - the cheeze must be especially made for them since I'm sure it is dairy free highly processed something, but certainly does not deserve the name cheese - as to the "beef" hmmm having taken the thing appart and removed cheese and sauce from the patties, whatever it is has virtually no flavor and very little to do with beef - the combination of it all does seem to work, if you are looking for artificial cheese flavor and shows how science has progressed these day's, especially in the artificial flavor department.

The french fries that came with it reminded me of tasteles cardboard and what their apparant appeal seems to be escapes me completely.

However, snce there are people who enjoy cheeze out of a tube, I do understand the appeal to at least a large part of today's "fast food" society.

2) The Chicken thing - this is probably the biggest money spinner any business ever came up with - having take the thing appart and weight the actual chicke content .... I was amazed how little there was - this thing consists of mostly breading and more bread in form of the bun which as the above only serves to hold the thing together - the french fries were even worse if there is a superlative of "no flavor what so ever" they deserve it for sure.

Considering the price No. 2 definately takes the crown as far as profit is concerned, but both are not what I would consider tasty or nurishing or anything I would want to taste again soon.

Now, Thai food is always considered a "healthy" alternative .... hmmm .... just think about this .... soup stands keep fish-balls and other "processed" items for day's at temperatures of 30+C which is heaven for your salmonella and collegues ... how come the stuff ususally does not go off?? simple E211 in huge doses - normal dosage 0.1% at which it is absolutely no problem but here they use up to 0.5% ..... having bought a portion of baamie from a street vendor who is very popular in our kitchen area I removed the noodles and other contents placed it into a strainer for a few hours for the fat to drip out and the result was a huge amount of fat (more than you would find in any of the above mentioned chain's products) - the idea of "healthy" Thai food is simply created by the visibillity of fresh veggies used which admittedly do supply vitamins. Most of the Thai rice is bleached to the point of being nutritionally worthless.

In all, if one must, the occasional burger will not kill ya nor will the baamie but one should try to eat either home cooked food or food cooked at a decent restaurant most of the time,

John

Actually, I've studied nutrition for many years and am very interested in holistic health, however, I also realize that there are a lot of lies spread by food fashion quacks in the "health" industry, and you seem to believe all of them.

Refined carbs are refined carbs and sugar acts very much in the same way as white rice on the body.

As far as Thai food being better for you than a burger, well it depends on what you eat. Kao Man Gai and Kao Kaa Moo are both loaded with fat and have no vegetables that are any better than the lettuce and tomato in a burger.

Now let ME guess - you are overweight....why? Because you are voicing a lot of ideas that tend to lead to obesity.

I come from a background of medical and health and don't subscribe to quack theories...I DO have a good knowledge of nutrition that comes from a lifetime of experience and sound scientific knowledge...

The fact that you are using expressions like "loaded with fat" - would seem to indicate you are just guessing - and as for comparing the veggies well one leaf of lettuce and a slice of tomato...really (was that hold the pickle??)

Please tell me one "quack" theory that I have expounded here.....

I would hope a supplier of gourmet food items would have a better burger than McDonalds, however I have seen an awful lot of places that grind there own "high-quality" beef daily, use real cheese and make their own french fries who don't. Both Chiang Mai and Bangkok are full of them.

I haven't been to Bangkok for a while, but Tony Romas had pretty good 300 baht burger and The Big Mango had a pretty good, reasonably priced burger, but I've heard that they are out of business. Bully Pub had a pretty good one.

I will try JohnBBK's place next time I visit Bangkok, but I'm afraid that trying his burger won't be at the top of my list compared to other things that he has mentioned. :o

I would hope a supplier of gourmet food items would have a better burger than McDonalds, however I have seen an awful lot of places that grind there own "high-quality" beef daily, use real cheese and make their own french fries who don't. Both Chiang Mai and Bangkok are full of them.

I haven't been to Bangkok for a while, but Tony Romas had pretty good 300 baht burger and The Big Mango had a pretty good, reasonably priced burger, but I've heard that they are out of business. Bully Pub had a pretty good one.

I will try JohnBBK's place next time I visit Bangkok, but I'm afraid that trying his burger won't be at the top of my list compared to other things that he has mentioned. :o

Looking forward to your visit :D the difference our Burger has is that it is charcoal grilled which adds lots of flavor. The owner of a major Supermarket chain was in the other day and demolished a whole one with increasing delight ... than he had to try the ribbs (half a portion-rest for the kidds) and than the pork knuckle to take home.... I was amazed at his appetite (he is Chinese)

Now we have happy hour from 4pm until 8 pm and the burger is only B 100.00 during this time (not sure for how long though)

John

p.s. yesterday I made fresh Gnochi for the Goulash - my dinner was Gnochi with Goulash - :D

Now let ME guess - you are overweight....why? Because you are voicing a lot of ideas that tend to lead to obesity.

I come from a background of medical and health and don't subscribe to quack theories...I DO have a good knowledge of nutrition that comes from a lifetime of experience and sound scientific knowledge...

The fact that you are using expressions like "loaded with fat" - would seem to indicate you are just guessing - and as for comparing the veggies well one leaf of lettuce and a slice of tomato...really (was that hold the pickle??)

Now let ME guess, you know that I am overweight because I have mentioned it in posts on Thai Visa about a million times, but I might not have mentioned that it is due to having Rheumatoid Arthritis for 25 years and having a very hard time doing exercise because of it. I got it when I was a vegetarian health food nut and a runner who was very thin and loved to work out. That experience made me a little less trusting of the health food industry.

I am not guessing about Kao Man Gay and Kao Kaa Moo . White rice and chicken soaked in chicken fat and pork leg with white rice are both loaded with fat and have just a few slivers of vegetables with them which are no better than tomato and lettuce.

As to what you said that is a quack theory, we could start with your statement that Thai food is much more nutritious than a burger. As I keep saying it depends on which Thai food.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I will try JohnBBK's place next time I visit Bangkok, but I'm afraid that trying his burger won't be at the top of my list compared to other things that he has mentioned. :D

Looking forward to your visit :D the difference our Burger has is that it is charcoal grilled which adds lots of flavor. The owner of a major Supermarket chain was in the other day and demolished a whole one with increasing delight ... than he had to try the ribbs (half a portion-rest for the kidds) and than the pork knuckle to take home.... I was amazed at his appetite (he is Chinese)

Now we have happy hour from 4pm until 8 pm and the burger is only B 100.00 during this time (not sure for how long though)

John

p.s. yesterday I made fresh Gnochi for the Goulash - my dinner was Gnochi with Goulash - :D

I LOVE charcoal grilled! :o

Now let ME guess, you know that I am overweight because I have mentioned it in posts on Thai Visa about a million times, but I might not have mentioned that it is due to having Rheumatoid Arthritis for 25 years and having a very hard time doing exercise because of it. I got it when I was a vegetarian health food nut and a runner who was very thin and loved to work out. That experience made me a little less trusting of the health food industry.

I am not guessing about Kao Man Gay and Kao Kara Moo . White rice and chicken soaked in chicken fat and pork leg with white rice are both loaded with fat and have just a few slivers of vegetables with them which are no better than tomato and lettuce.

As to what you said that is a quack theory, we could start with your statement that Thai food is much more nutritious than a burger. As I keep saying it depends on which Thai food.

The fact you blame your illness on YOUR diet (i.e. the one YOU chose), and that you STILL go on about fats regardless, underlines the paucity of your knowledge......no I WAS guessing...I don't hang on your every posting, and I reiterate you talk like someone who has the wrong end of the stick when it comes to health and nutrition....at the end of the day you can only get fat by eating what you don't need.

I am not guessing about Kao Man Gay and Kao Kara Moo . White rice and chicken soaked in chicken fat and pork leg with white rice are both loaded with fat and have just a few slivers of vegetables with them which are no better than tomato and lettuce.

You are right, where chicken fat is a lot worse than pork fat - looking at Thai food, order a portion of "Moo Pah" - wild boar at a Thai restaurant and you will be surprised at what you'll get - I've tried this a number of times and every time I ended up with a plate full of fat with no meat what so ever ... Thai's love fat which is the reason the Chinese version of Eisbein is so popular here - (boiled Pork Knuckle) and watching the locals eating the fat with apparant delight put the Thai Healthy Food thing into perspective -

John

I have to admit that I love "Eisbein" (the German version though and not the sweet Thai/Chnese version) but when I eat it I need a seperate plate since I remove most of the fat and eat the pink meat with hot mustard - this is not because of any health reasons, I just can't eat pure fat

The fact you blame your illness on YOUR diet (i.e. the one YOU chose), and that you STILL go on about fats regardless, underlines the paucity of your knowledge......no I WAS guessing...I don't hang on your every posting, and I reiterate you talk like someone who has the wrong end of the stick when it comes to health and nutrition....at the end of the day you can only get fat by eating what you don't need.

I don't blame my illness on my diet. I got it despite my my wonderful, "heathy" diet and lifestyle. That is the lesson. :o

Seems like UlyssesG and JohnBkk are out to promote Burger and Goulash as "the Food to go for"!

or is it just a simple "promotional tour" in General for "EuroGourmetFood"?

that what it seems to me....only "EuroGourmet" can provide ... :o

Thanks at least for the run up on the commercial burgers vs. Thai street food!

Could you explain then while the Thai Population in general is so slender if all the dishes are just "loaded" with fat?

As i said i always have my Kao man Gai or Kao Ka Moo WITHOUT skin or extra fat and strictly NO commercial burgers or any other of this chain-food stuff like "sausage or cheese rimmed Pizza" by the heavenly Pizza Company !

No thanks!

No LookChin either, alternatively there are Noodle Soups with Beef, marinated Pork or fish....! Reminds me of cheap Vienna or Franks... nobody knows...

And I am not a "health food freak" either, simply like to see what is on my plate!

besides Thai Kitchen holds many, many dishes with veggies simply stir fried and seasoned... but believe, what ever you wish to believe and eat what ever you wish to!

regarding rheumatoid arthritis and diet...:

Some scientists believe that the tendency to develop rheumatoid arthritis may be genetically inherited.

more here:

Could you explain then while the Thai Population in general is so slender if all the dishes are just "loaded" with fat?

As i said i always have my Kao man Gai or Kao Ka Moo WITHOUT skin or extra fat

regarding rheumatoid arthritis and diet...:

Some scientists believe that the tendency to develop rheumatoid arthritis may be genetically inherited.

more here:

No one said that ALL Thai dishes are loaded with fat, but Kao Man Gay and Kao Kaa Moo are, and so are lots of others. The "Man" in Kao Man Gay means chicken "fat" which the rice is soaked in and pork leg in Thailand always has a lot of fat - even if you don't ask for extra.

Yes, I know that rheumatoid arthritis may be genetically inherited - that was my point - but many holistic health nuts will tell you that it can be avoided by eating a low fat diet with mostly natural foods and it certainly didn't work for me.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Put it this way...as a vegetarian you were slim and fit...now on your burgers you are not....you are still going on about fats as if they are ALL bad and the source of all problems.....it is the ultra-processed nature of such foods as McDs that is so damaging...the type of fats and the industrial ingredients....ALL McDs are the same everywhere you go, this is NOT the case with Thai fast food. we both agree that you can't rationally blame your illness on your diet...unless it was particularly extreme...which of course the industrial burger is.

yes there are problems with eating Thai food due to lack of regulation etc, but the constant and insidious marketing of McDs et al has led people to believve that their products are a - food and b - no different from anyone else, both in my opinion is incorrect, I feel sorry for those who don't get the huge finacial joke that these companies are engaged in....they don't sell food they make money by hooking people into a cycle of bad eating habits.

I'm not promoting any particular brand of burgers or burgers themselves, but all I'm saying is, a Burger does not necessarily mean bad food, it all depends what is in it! As long as we are dealing with good quality ground Beef, a Burger is ust as healthy as spagetti bolognese or any other staple. All I pointed out was, what in my opinion is a good burger as well as the huge profit margines the big chains make for thier stuff.

Now, what is wrong with Goulash? its real food so are other meals, the kind of food one eats daily and not fast food, food that has flavor and is honest without artificial flavorings, coloring.....

Thai food has one inherent problem, they use Palm Oil for most of their cooking which is about the worse oil you can use as far as saturated fats are concerned - the reason is simply economic, palm oil is the cheapest you can get here.

John