Acer One Laptop

nikster

8.9" screen @ 15,000 BHT

With Atom processor, apparently available "now" in Thailand, saw an ad in the paper.

Acer also has 14" a laptop for BHT 12,990 which I find pretty incredible.

Aspire One looks great, but this statement worries me:

"RAM however will be limited to either a piffling 512MB or average 1GB."

They would be insane to limited RAM to 512MB.

8.9" screen @ 15,000 BHT

With Atom processor, apparently available "now" in Thailand, saw an ad in the paper.

That price is with an 8GB SSD, 3 cell (2.5 hours) battery, and Linux.

If you want the 80GB hard drive, 6 cell (5 hours) battery, and XP, it's priced at ~20,000.

If you don't mind the 8GB SSD, and can get the 6 cell battery for a good price, it's worth getting the Linux one and throwing XP on it, if you have an extra copy around.

This laptop does not have bluetooth though, so no bluetooth mice, phones, headsets, etc.

8.9" screen @ 15,000 BHT

That price is with an 8GB SSD, 3 cell (2.5 hours) battery, and Linux.

If you want the 80GB hard drive, 6 cell (5 hours) battery, and XP, it's priced at ~20,000.

If you don't mind the 8GB SSD, and can get the 6 cell battery for a good price, it's worth getting the Linux one and throwing XP on it, if you have an extra copy around.

This laptop does not have bluetooth though, so no bluetooth mice, phones, headsets, etc.

How crazy someone must be surfing the web with that bloated peace of crap, XP as a system for a netbook, God beware!

i am *really* wanting one of these, and soon. any know where these are actually available here in Thailand? i am in Pattaya so a location around here would be great, but an online dealer here in Thailand would be welcome as well, thx in advance for any insight on this...

:o

No.

There is first 512 MB inside (can't be remove/change) and a slot to add up to 1 GB.

So you can upgrade up to 1.5 GB.

No.

There is first 512 MB inside (can't be remove/change) and a slot to add up to 1 GB.

So you can upgrade up to 1.5 GB.

that makes much more sense. can you post where you found this info? i've been unable to find anything regarding ram for this machine. i don't care for soldered-in ram though, if it goes buggy post warranty it's a total hassle.

Actually right now after some reading i think it is a bad time to get one of the cheaper umpcs. In the coming 3-4 months many, many companies bring their own cheap umpc and I think it makes really sense to wait for that and then decide which one to choose. That's what I will do.

Sporry, didn't wanna be too rude, but you should just give Linux a try and experiene the freedom of free software, no spyware, no viruses and -- no bluescreens at all ;-)

Thanks, but I save Linux for servers where it belongs.

Regardless, I was passing on ideas to people here, and I'd be surprised if more than a 1% has ever seen a linux distro in action.

Maybe I see you beeing a little bit arrogant? Or better ignorant?

So many people (also on Thai Visa as I know, please correct me if I'm wrong) changed already from the dark side...

Quote ...Linux for servers where it belongs...

Maybe you just didn't realize that this verdict is at least five years old and so long time outdated?

And you also didn't realise the rush from Vista bringing the people to Linux? Or the eeePC and a lot of other netbooks? Have you ever heard of Ubuntu?

Internet is for information, not only for pix...

I myself said goodbye to M$ more than two years ago and I never regretted.

And you also didn't realise the rush from Vista bringing the people to Linux?

No, I didn't, but I'd love to see proof of this claim of yours.

So many people (also on Thai Visa as I know, please correct me if I'm wrong) changed already from the dark side...

The dark side? :o

I personally don't care, but you could always ask the site admin to give you the percentage of users running Windows, Mac, Linux, etc. Would only take a minute with a log analyzer, but TV might not want to share that info.

Have you ever heard of Ubuntu?

Yes, have a few copies running now, all except one in VM's. It's about the best there is for a desktop variant of Linux.

Internet is for information, not only for pix...

Do you really believe I need to use Windows for pictures? Last time I checked, all browsers available for Linux (with the possible exception of Lynx) are able to display pictures.

I choose not to use Linux for my OS on a notebook as it's a pain to get all of the software I want working on a single install, and I need MS Office 2007 to get work done, along with some other software I use which does not run on Linux. Before you tell me to use OpenOffice, I always try the latest major version, and it is just not as capable as MS Office.

Besides, if I need to do something in Linux, I can run it in a VM or ssh into one of my servers.

I am not going to try to convince you that one is better than the other, like some door to door religious nut, but I will say that by posting in the manner that you do, you come off as a complete tool. I have tens of thousands of hours logged on *nix OS's, so please mark me off your list of people you are trying to convert for the good of humanity, to end evil Micro$oft, or whatever slashdot has the sheep believing these days.

I myself said goodbye to M$ more than two years ago and I never regretted.

Glad to hear Linux is working out for you. An OS is a platform to run applications on, so which ever one suits your needs, go with it. Fortunately for you, Linux can handle everything you need from an OS. Being able to run everything you need on a single platform certainly makes life easier.

Cheers! :D

Edited by surface

Sporry, didn't wanna be too rude, but you should just give Linux a try and experiene the freedom of free software, no spyware, no viruses and -- no bluescreens at all ;-)

Is it possible to have dual boot for MAC OS on a Linux system?

Yes it is.

Linux is still not ready, IMHO. I would recommend to give it a try on a desktop since the driver situation should be better. But on a laptop, forget it. Last time I installed Ununtu on my PC laptop, I had to do what Linux users had to do since Linux was born: Search the web for solutions, edit some text files. After that, my graphics card worked 100% fine. Then I just had a little WiFi networking problem - it was very slow. I had to turn off IPv6 support. Then I tried to install my suite of apps so I can work, and something went wrong with the Java install. Cisco VPN didn't work either.

This was Ubuntu 7. I promise that I will use Linux on the day that all my hardware is supported out of the box, and I can set up my work apps with no problems. Until then - no thanks.

In the meantime, I am enjoying no viruses, no spyware, free software, and fantastic freeware and shareware apps on Mac OS X. Yeah I spent money for OS X but when you count the time spent tinkering with Linux even to get to the point where I aborted, OS X was already a whole lot cheaper. I get paid by the hour so that's obvious. For the time I spent trying to get Linux to work I could have bought a second MacBook Pro.

Edited by nikster

i am *really* wanting one of these, and soon. any know where these are actually available here in Thailand? i am in Pattaya so a location around here would be great, but an online dealer here in Thailand would be welcome as well, thx in advance for any insight on this...

The BKK post ad said it was available "now" in Central Airport in Chiang Mai. I assume that's because I am in the north - I guess they tailor the ads in the BKK post to where they sell the paper.

I would just call Acer. Go to http://www.acer.co.th/ and try their service number. I have done this before, they speak english.

I am in the market for a new laptop. We just bought an Acer Aspire 4315 for the wife, not too bad but I don't really like it's touchpad. Also, you cannot access memory and HDD without breaking the warranty labels as there is only one cover - so upgrades can be done only from Asus and not DIY...I also noticed that it does not pick up W-LAN signals as well as my old HP laptop. Acer's big plus is the 3 years warratny, HP grants only one year and the old laptop died after 2 years only (it had a rough life, though!) Any other recommendations for reasonably priced laptops? Usage is for business only, a HDD of 80 GB and 1 MB RAM (no, I don't want to run Vista for the time being!!) is absolutely sufficient. Bluethooth is a must.

@raro: I previously asked at my Acer service center about the warranty stickers on HD and memory. They told me to ignore them - didn't really mean it :o TIT!

They told me that if I replace the hard drive, they wouldn't cover that new HD under their warranty. Well - fair enough, why would they?

I have also previously upgraded the memory on my Acer TM 4600. This was a lemon of a machine, it went back to service about 5 times. Everything on it broke. But Acer did honor the warranty and never had a problem with me upgrading the memory.

On my TM 8204, I had the HD die on a Friday. Service center was closed for the weekend. So I got a new HD saturday, put it in, recovered from backup, then went to the service center with the fried HD (now outside the machine) the next week. They gave me a new HD without muss or fuss.

As for recommendations - that 14" Acer for 12,990 is certainly _very_ reasonably priced :D You will have to upgrade the memory, it's 512MB, but that is cheap. And won't void the warranty. Main problem is it comes with Vista which it certainly doesn't have enough horsepower for, you would have to ask about getting XP installed instead.

Edited by nikster

The very simple reason I like Acer so much here in Thailand, their service centers/warranty scheme is simply excellent!

They might not be the best machines around quality wise, but they sure are very sharply priced...

8.9" screen @ 15,000 BHT

Has anyone actually seen it in an actual shop yet.

I was in HK last week, and the only mini notebook with the 8.9" screen actually for sale was the underpowered Eee 900. (The newer 901 will use the same chipset as the Acer, so a little surprised if the Acer has beaten it to market).

Although, given the Acer is supposed to start at £199 in the UK, inc. VAT, there seems to be a bit of a markup to get the 15,000 baht price.

Yes it is.

Linux is still not ready, IMHO. I would recommend to give it a try on a desktop since the driver situation should be better. But on a laptop, forget it. Last time I installed Ununtu on my PC laptop, I had to do what Linux users had to do since Linux was born: Search the web for solutions, edit some text files. After that, my graphics card worked 100% fine. Then I just had a little WiFi networking problem - it was very slow. I had to turn off IPv6 support. Then I tried to install my suite of apps so I can work, and something went wrong with the Java install. Cisco VPN didn't work either.

This was Ubuntu 7. I promise that I will use Linux on the day that all my hardware is supported out of the box, and I can set up my work apps with no problems. Until then - no thanks.

In the meantime, I am enjoying no viruses, no spyware, free software, and fantastic freeware and shareware apps on Mac OS X. Yeah I spent money for OS X but when you count the time spent tinkering with Linux even to get to the point where I aborted, OS X was already a whole lot cheaper. I get paid by the hour so that's obvious. For the time I spent trying to get Linux to work I could have bought a second MacBook Pro.

Would it be easier to add a MAC OS to a preinstalled LINUX or Windows laptop?

Would it be easier to add a MAC OS to a preinstalled LINUX or Windows laptop?

Sorry, I kind of misunderstood your question. It's possible but not easy to install Mac OS on a windows laptop, and definitely not recommended except for tinkerers and people who really enjoy playing around with technology. There has been a recent breakthrough where there's an all-in-one hack using a USB dongle

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/06/14/efix-usb-do...n-a-regular-pc/

But still, upgrades will be problematic and in the end it would be a lot easier to just buy a Mac laptop.

For the record, it is very easy to install Linux/Windows on Mac laptops. Apple offers for free software called Bootcamp with which Windows and/or Linux can be installed.

Edited by nikster

• 11 months later...

I found this at Tom's Hardware

Lenovo S12 is the First Nvidia Ion Netbook - with 12-inch size:

- Display: 12.1 WXGA (1280 X 800) LED 200 nit, 250g

- Processor: Intel Atom N270

- Graphics: Intel integrated GMA 950, Nvidia ION

- Memory: Up to 1GB DDR2 533 MHz

- Hard Drive: Up to 160 GB SATA (160, 250, 320)

- Battery Life: 3 hours with 3-cell, 6 hours with 6-cell

- Weight: 1.4kg with 3 cell, 1.55kg with 6 cell

- Dimensions: 292 X 216 X 22-28.9mm

- Connectivity: 10/100m Ethernet, Broadcom 578M, Intel WiFi Link 5150 1X2 AGN, Intel WiFi Link 5100 1X2 AGN, Non-Intel wireless b/g, Non-Intel wireless b/g/n, Bluetooth

- Other: 3 USB, 1 Expresscard slot (Intel and VIA platforms), 4-in-1 card reader, VGA, RJA45, HDMI

- Software: XP Home SP3 (32 bit)

-- --

The Lenovo S12 will be launching first in July with the Intel GMA950 graphics chipset, priced at $449. The Nvidia Ion version (the one that we suspect everyone will want) will hit “later this summer.” Lenovo didn’t give specific pricing on the Ion version, but best guesses place it at just under $500.

==++==

Probably worth to wait a little. Under $500 it's sounds as quite an affordable option.

I'm planning to buy a PC for my daughter She is 6, in grade 2, and likes computers. Not sure though, if it's also worth waiting for Windows 7.