Bring Lcd To Uk

kerr17

Hi, I was thinking to bring an LCD to London as a present to someone but i was wondering about few things.

Will it work there?

Will i have to pay tax on it on my arrival in London?

Is it convenient to buy it here?

Any problem on tranportation?

Which is the cheapest pleace to buy a 26" or 32" inches here in Bangkok?

Yes it should work.

Yes, unless you can demonstrate that it's more than six months (IIRC, check with UK customs) old you will have to pay VAT and duty.

Probably cheaper in the UK anyway.

Delicate item, I would not trust it to the baggage mangling system.

Crossy is right, there could be problems in baggage handling. I have worked as ground crew in the UK before and there are always the idiots who take a delight in mishandling anything that can be damaged easily.

If you must bring one with you, and to be honest I doubt if you will be making an savings, then I would pack it right in the middle of a large suitcase, surrounded by bubble wrap, clothes etc, anything to cushion the blows.

Yes it should work.

Yes, unless you can demonstrate that it's more than six months (IIRC, check with UK customs) old you will have to pay VAT and duty.

Just got back from the UK today and, although you can't buy exactly the same models here in Thailand, a comparable LCD TV by manufacturer is cheaper in Thailand than it is in the UK.

One other point, the on RF the sound systems are different so initially you'd get a good picture but no sound in the UK although this can be rectified with a simple software change.

Also Thai TV doesn't have any teletext system like there is in the UK and this would be expensive to add (if required).

Yes it should work.

Just got back from the UK today and, although you can't buy exactly the same models here in Thailand, a comparable LCD TV by manufacturer is cheaper in Thailand than it is in the UK.

I suspect that the cost of shipping may negate any advantage in price.

One other point, the on RF the sound systems are different so initially you'd get a good picture but no sound in the UK although this can be rectified with a simple software change.

Also Thai TV doesn't have any teletext system like there is in the UK and this would be expensive to add (if required).

If it's an LCD/plasma the chances are it'll sort itself out automatically and detect the sound and video system.

Both my Thai purchased LCDs have teletext (or seem to, it doesn't do much of course). One is a 32" Tatung that was on offer in HomePro, the default channel names were BBC 1, BBC 2, ITV and Channel 4, it had a UK plug and a manual in English, I wonder where that container was headed when it fell off the back of a ship :o Worked just fine on Thai broadcast and satellite.

If it's an LCD/plasma the chances are it'll sort itself out automatically and detect the sound and video system.

Both my Thai purchased LCDs have teletext (or seem to, it doesn't do much of course). One is a 32" Tatung that was on offer in HomePro, the default channel names were BBC 1, BBC 2, ITV and Channel 4, it had a UK plug and a manual in English, I wonder where that container was headed when it fell off the back of a ship :o Worked just fine on Thai broadcast and satellite.

Iused

I used to work for Tatung in the UK and their TV's were manufactured in Chonburi, Thailand and assembled in the UK, now they don't even assemble them there, everything is done in Thailand. They tend to sell them off on special offer when they have too much stock and a new model is coming out. They probably wouldn't worry too much about which market they where originally made for either, hence the UK plug and t/text. A friend of mine who still works at the Chonburi factory recently asked if I wanted one as they were being offered to staff at a good discount.

I used to work for Tatung in the UK and their TV's were manufactured in Chonburi, Thailand and assembled in the UK, now they don't even assemble them there, everything is done in Thailand. They tend to sell them off on special offer when they have too much stock and a new model is coming out. They probably wouldn't worry too much about which market they where originally made for either, hence the UK plug and t/text. A friend of mine who still works at the Chonburi factory recently asked if I wanted one as they were being offered to staff at a good discount.

I was round at a friends house when I posted this reply, icequeen never worked for Tatung (and doesn't know a thing about TV's :D ) I did.