What's Up With The Russians?

cluezo

Everday at Utapo Airport (about 30 minutes east of Pattaya) large Russian private jets land and unload 40 or so Russians who are whisked away in beautiful black Toyotas to Pattaya. What they do there is left to your imagination but they return with boxes and boxes of goodies (electronics, gizmos. clothing, etc). What up with this? Man, suddenly there are a lot of rich Russians! Also there's been an alarming influx of Russian prostitutes working in Pattaya because they attract Thai men. Red Dawn! :o

They have been coming for awhile mate. :D

There is even a new 2 tower 1000 bed hotel in Soi 12 Naklua that is half open and targets the Ruskies.

Even a helli pad on top. I suspect they will be flying direct from the airport soon by chopper! :o

I spent four nights in Moscow a year ago, during the heat wave. The highways are clogged with Ladas and expensive cars. Hotels built for the Olympics of 1980 are full. There are lots of rich Russians now, compared to the 70 years when only Communist bosses had money. A tourist in Moscow pays some of the highest prices in the world. So Pattaya would seem like a dreamland, a sex playground.

I spent four nights in Moscow a year ago, during the heat wave. The highways are clogged with Ladas and expensive cars. Hotels built for the Olympics of 1980 are full. There are lots of rich Russians now, compared to the 70 years when only Communist bosses had money. A tourist in Moscow pays some of the highest prices in the world. So Pattaya would seem like a dreamland, a sex playground.

Yeah, good point.

They have a leader with guts, who wont be influenced by the elite. Their economy is alive and booming, while the US economy is being destroyed, and Europe is being forced into a one-party dictatorship. Thats what wrong with the Russians, they are better than you..

They have a leader with guts, who wont be influenced by the elite. Their economy is alive and booming, while the US economy is being destroyed, and Europe is being forced into a one-party dictatorship. Thats what wrong with the Russians, they are better than you..

:o:D :D :D

Pattaya Real estate companies would have you believe that ; In 2007, 889,656 Russians visited Pattaya, up 84 per cent from 2006, making them the leading market for the resort. According to Raimon Land's CEO, Nigel, the Russians and Scandinavians have now displaced the Brits and Germans as the main property investors in Pattaya. Does that make Russians clever ? Better than the rest of us ? I don't think so . Pattaya - they are welcome to it.

Yet , TAT’s website (Tourism Authority of Thailand) tell us that the official figures from Immigration show that… only 277 503 Russians arrived in Thailand in 2007 (total airports + sea + land borders), an increase of 47 % compare to 2006.

Perhaps a lot of russians are going missing

Although the Russians have been coming here for the past 10 years, it's only in the past two that they have started to buy up Pattaya properties. Last year, according to Raimon Land, Russian property purchases accounted for 22 per cent, (USD 7.7 million) of condominium sales in their upmarket developments Northshore, The Lofts, Southshore and Northpoint.

Though Pattaya real estate companies always like to 'talk up' the market ( :o ) , they are in a no win situation because the Ruskies are now setting up their own agents / brokers etc .

Don't really have a grasp on reality, do you? Not to mention a clue as to the geo-political nature of things. How old are you? :o

Don't really have a grasp on reality, do you? Not to mention a clue as to the geo-political nature of things. How old are you? :o

Hey - I am the Dictator - I shall be returning home to be the Fuhrer - has nobody mentioned this :D

........and to continue, whats wrong with having some smokin white women around?

:o:D :D :D

Agree

Read that post myself, in the morning (ok, around noon).

Nothing better then something that makes me smile in the early hours of the day.

:D :D :D

Everday at Utapo Airport large Russian private jets land and unload 40 or so Russians who are whisked away in beautiful black Toyotas to Pattaya. What they do there is left to your imagination but they return with boxes and boxes of goodies (electronics, gizmos. clothing, etc).

photos please

oil has gone way up and Russia has lots of oil. Many Russians have become very wealthy and are looking for a little playground to unload some cash. For now Pattaya seems to fit the bill. Perhaps I should study Russian after I'm finished thai :o.

Times change indeed, it seems like only yesterday they were the enemy and we were chasing them all over the oceans. Then about 5 years ago I was sat with an ex navy intelligence guy from Russia and we had tea and buscuits looking through a copy of Janes Fighting Ships pointing out the ships and subs we had served on.

I don't want to generalise but the ruskies I have encountered on wlaking street can be very loud and rude, but then having said that I come from the UK so I have seen it all before.

Just another reason for me to stay away from the South end of walking....

The Russians have been flocking to Pattaya in ever greater numbers, ever since the (Thai) government allowed them the same 30 day Visa that most "westerners" get on arrival (previously they could only get the 15 day Visa on arrival).

And face it, if you're Russian and have enough money for a vacation, would you rather go to a delapidated, communist-style Black Sea resort with European-style weather (and probably higher prices), or an exotic locale like Thailand, with nicer weather, nicer places to stay, better prices, and more "fun" to be had ?

It's only natural that if there is a large influx of people from one place (like Russia), there are going to be a lot of people trying to cater to those people. New restaurants, new property companies, new bars playing the kind of music preferred by these folks.

As for the "russian" prostitutes on Walking Street. Most it appears are Uzbeks, that get rounded up and shipped home with such regularity that there is suspicion it is an organized affair.

Check the Pattaya News Clippings around late July/early Aug. That's about when the next "round up" should occur (last one was early May, and they seem to happen every 3-4 months)

And they aren't targeting Thai men. :o

Most of the Thai men on WS (where most of these girls are often found) couldn't afford to pay for "local fare", let alone "imported sweets".

Can do submit credible evidence that you are not an uneducated and loudmouthed British Maveric?

Hmmm, I think britmaveric might take offense to that. He's not that loud (usually). :o

Package holiday tourists!! I wouldn't mind them except the ones I have encountered are shall we say less than considerate to others around them. :D

This Russian lady has bought property in Thailand for an amount you can not even dream of.

:o Most likely overpaid!!! :D Any rate I think you have lil understanding on how Thailand operates, but this is likely a lesson you will learn soon enough. :D

Package holiday tourists!! I wouldn't mind them except the ones I have encountered are shall we say less than considerate to others around them. :o

This Russian lady has bought property in Thailand for an amount you can not even dream of.

Nice try...

Just yesterday we have this claim:

I am planning to buy property in Pattaya. I will also employ staff. But i was told it is very difficult for foreigners to obtain a work permit. If this is the case I am forced to employ Thais.

I suppose a lot can happen in nineteen hours time though.

But, then we have this gem posted by our new Pattaya property tycoon a mere two hours prior to the above post:

Is it true that foreigners cannot buy land in Thailand?

Everday at Utapo Airport (about 30 minutes east of Pattaya) large Russian private jets land and unload 40 or so Russians who are whisked away in beautiful black Toyotas to Pattaya. What they do there is left to your imagination but they return with boxes and boxes of goodies (electronics, gizmos. clothing, etc). What up with this? Man, suddenly there are a lot of rich Russians! Also there's been an alarming influx of Russian prostitutes working in Pattaya because they attract Thai men. Red Dawn! :D

We have to stick to facts...not some large private jets from Russia.

Russian tourism is growing fast but the nrs are still low in comparison to the total figure of 14,4 Million tourists of which some 60%+ is from Asean and other Asian and SE Asian countries.

Russia counts for 1,93% with some 280,000 tourists in 2007.

Facts:

2000 49,631 Russian tourists

2005 107,000

2006 190,000

2007 280,000

Growing fast ? Yes, but still low for such an enormous country with 140 Million people.

Australia has 638,000 tourists to Thailand with a population of a mere 20 Million.

It remains to be seen which tourist drinks more though, the Ozzies or the Russians :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo