The Elephants Are Back

KevinHunt

I see that the beggar elephants are back in Chiang Mai. They disappeared for a few months after orders from up high, but as expected they are now roaming the streets again til the wee hours - I spotted 2 at about 3am - a young one outside Spicy and a baby elephant along Loi Kroh rd. I had a 'Please don't feed the elephants' sign in my place, which I took down about a month ago, but it looks like I'll have to dig it out again. These noble creatures deserve a better life than that of an enslaved, abused beggar.

It looks like the same operators are responsible .Presumably, they wear down the resolve of the interested parties with their persistence. :o

I see that the beggar elephants are back in Chiang Mai. They disappeared for a few months after orders from up high, but as expected they are now roaming the streets again til the wee hours - I spotted 2 at about 3am - a young one outside Spicy and a baby elephant along Loi Kroh rd. I had a 'Please don't feed the elephants' sign in my place, which I took down about a month ago, but it looks like I'll have to dig it out again. These noble creatures deserve a better life than that of an enslaved, abused beggar.

It looks like the same operators are responsible .Presumably, they wear down the resolve of the interested parties with their persistence. :o

I'm wondering about the guys walking these poor elephants around, what are the penalties if they are caught. Any one know? If they were harsh enough surely it would stop?

This may be a stupid question but do they own the elephants they walk like the babys are they captive bred as they seem to be trained. If they are kept captive for this purpose cant the BIB or the Animal Welfare do anything about removing them to a safer place?

they have been back for months now.

about 3 months back saw the owner of one of them caught by the BIB and the wildlife protection people were there. fed the elephant whatever food they had and they were on their way. issued a ticket or something but elephant not taken away! maybe a warning?

about a month ago, saw the same guys dragging the elephant around near Number 1 bar. shame on them.

During the day they seem to spend their time somewhere down the road to Wieng Khum Kham. As at dusk they cross the highway into town from there. Saw one a couple of weeks ago at Nong Hoi Intersection. To stop it the only idea I can think of would be for some kind of concerted petition effort signed by both residents and tourists. That might wake the authorities up a bit.

During the day they seem to spend their time somewhere down the road to Wieng Khum Kham. As at dusk they cross the highway into town from there. Saw one a couple of weeks ago at Nong Hoi Intersection. To stop it the only idea I can think of would be for some kind of concerted petition effort signed by both residents and tourists. That might wake the authorities up a bit.

i think every bar, pub, restaurant, tourist spots on these urban elephant routes should have huge signs posted up on why these elephants should not be fed. I know KevinHunt's place has (or had) one up and thats one way to stopping these people.

I agree that signs are a good way to combat the problem. Many people in giddy tourist mode would not stop to think about this, as feeding would seem to be a good thing.

The way the elephants are trained could also be mentioned.

Was there not a very recent pronouncement on the elephants being banned from the city ? (Don't recall where.)

I see that the beggar elephants are back in Chiang Mai. They disappeared for a few months after orders from up high, but as expected they are now roaming the streets again til the wee hours - I spotted 2 at about 3am - a young one outside Spicy and a baby elephant along Loi Kroh rd. I

You know after quite a few Changs and in the dim lit corradoors of Spicey, they dont look that bad and i am sure that I have bought one or two of them a Spy before.

this will be contravercial i'm sure and i don't neccarsarily (spelling bragade :D ) agree but it could be said these ellephants are no worse off than many giving rides in the tourist camps and certanly better than those back in the logging days. The only way for people to give up their money making investment (the chang) would be to pay them enough to make it worth thier while. Like if you've been brought up a mahoot and its what you know who are these sentimental tourists to tell you to give up your lively hood with no alternative.

I see the changs come past my bar almost every day and one owner doesn't use the hook thing and seems to care for his beast but the others are nasty greedy people, like i always give the nice guys one whats left in the fridge but if i offer the free fuit to the others they turn thier noses up like wheres the money an ponce off.

Whats needed is a project that employs the mahoots and takes care the changs. its a sad state of affairs but so are the human kids beggin on the street and at the traffic lights every day. This is how the world is, some people drink in bars every day, can afford not to work and say how terrible about the ellaphants begging while others are so poor they sell thier kids to go sell flowers in the cities and problably end up in prostitution. If i have fruit getting old i give it to the chang if customer wants to buy it a banna then let em, just as sometimes i buy flowers from the kids, i'm sure if no one bought kids flowers then they'd stay in the village but its not gunna happen.