Advice On Where To Apply For Work? Am English, Ph.d. In German!

Hello dear Friends,

I wonder if anyone can advise me? I have been in Thailand (Bangkok) for one month now (on a tourist visa) and have just come back from the Penang Run and secured another tourist visa for 30 days. I very much want to live and work permanently in Thailand, as I have a Thai boyfriend here (I am gay). Our relationship is two years old now. But where is best for me to apply for English-language editing / teaching work, with a view to securing the work permit?

I am English, 51 years old, an Oxford University Ph.D. in German Literature, published author (books on Buddhism), and have been a teacher (and copy editor) of English to foreign adults in London for the past 21 years.

So far I have written to about 30 law firms in Thailand, to see if they will take me as a proof reader - but no luck. I would really like to earn around 60,000 Baht per month, as I am told that this is necessary for me to secure the work permit (I don't know if this is true!).

Any ideas on how I can get a sufficiently well-paid job in the next month or two - as after that, my money runs out! Or maybe I should try to work in Malaysia (Penang? KL?) and see if my Thai boyfriend can come and live with me there??

Thank you very much for any help you can offer. Thank you so much!

Best wishes.

From

Tony

Edited by Tonyrichard
font to normal - remove email - lopburi3

You want a big salary for a teacher, but you seem to have good qualifications. Better have a look at the following website for teaching jobs in Thailand:

www.ajarn.com

For teachers there is no income requirement as to the height of your salary.

You should have no problem picking up work and you may even get 60,000. This is not a requirement for the work permit though as there are different rules for teachers in regards to minimum income - I have a work permit on half that amount and so do most legal teachers. The job section on Ajahn is a good idea and sometimes you see jobs advertised here also.

You should have no problem picking up work and you may even get 60,000. This is not a requirement for the work permit though as there are different rules for teachers in regards to minimum income - I have a work permit on half that amount and so do most legal teachers. The job section on Ajahn is a good idea and sometimes you see jobs advertised here also.

Thank you, dear Mario and Garro, for your very kind assistance and advice. I am interested to learn that there is no requirement for a teacher to earn 60,000 Baht per month (in order to get the work permit). That's very useful to know. Thanks, too, for the info on Ajahn. I did not know about that. So now I can start my search for work with more optimism and confidence. Thanks again. All best wishes to you. From Tony.