Missing Articles

Sidris

Someone started a thread the other day about this but I can't find it now.

It was about bad English being taught to Thais...ie..Thais say things like:

"He went to hospital" and "I graduate University"

Here in America, the correct English is: "He went to the hospital" and "I graduated from a University"

Even the professional newscasters make these mistakes.

This is the bastardization of proper American English.

I wish someone could change this, it is so annoying.

Here in America, the correct English is: "He went to the hospital" and "I graduated from a University"

"bastardisation"

:o

The irony.

:o

The irony.

Indeed.

Some bloke started a fread the bleedin' uvver day about this but I can't find it now.

It were about bad English bein' taught ter Fais...ie..Fais say fings like:

"He went ter hospital" and "I graduate University"

Here in America, the chuffin' correct English is: "He went ter ffe 'ospital" and "I graduated from a University"

Even the bloody ace newscasters make these mistakes.

This is the chuffin' bastardization of proper a septic tank English.

I wish some bloke could change this, it is so annoyin'.

Ah, that's better in'nit?

Some bloke started a fread the bleedin' uvver day about this but I can't find it now.

Here in America, the chuffin' correct English is: "He went ter ffe 'ospital" and "I graduated from a University"

:o Funnier than the phrase "British cuisine!" :D

There was a letter in the mad-bastards-with-too-much-time-on-their-hands letters page of the Bangkok Post yesterday. A gentlemen was bemoaning the fact that British English is taught in EFL schools in Thailand rather than American English.

How strange.

There is no such thing as British English.

There is English, and then there is that strange hybrid (albeit rather quaint) language our transatlantic cousins have created.

There was a letter in the mad-bastards-with-too-much-time-on-their-hands letters page of the Bangkok Post yesterday. A gentlemen was bemoaning the fact that British English is taught in EFL schools in Thailand rather than American English.

How strange.

There is no such thing as British English.

There is English, and then there is that strange hybrid (albeit rather quaint) language our transatlantic cousins have created.

Zed's dead Bendix, Zed's dead.

A lot of English people resent the fact that the language is dynamic, that it changes & evolves.

We just took it & made it better. Ditto Australia New Zealand etc.

I think "bloke" is supposed to be "geezer".

20 years ago I was in a cafe with my than Thai sister in law. There were mostly Farangs in there and my sister in law couldn’t speak or understand one word of English.

I knew my friend Mike was due in about 10 minutes, so in the meantime I thought I would teach my sister in law some English greeting words for when Mike arrived.

Mike arrived and my sister in law looked at him and said in a loud voice, or gor blimey, if it anit ole Mike, where the blet,ern ell ave you bin. She said it with a perfect cockney accent, just as I taught her. The whole place was in hysterics and even my sister in law laughed, although she didn’t get the joke.

I work with languages and English is the only European language - at least to my knowledge - that you can so abuse and still be fully

understood.

I work often as an interpreter and when a dozen different nationalities come together they have to communicate with English.

They all understand each fully despite the glaring mistakes - until it's time for the Brits to speak.

That kind of English causes them problems.

Well you guys are in luck, there are lots of ESL classes available in Thailand.

Maybe you can still learn the right way to speak.

I think the correct manner of speach would be prefferable !!

I am sure you meant to say " the correct way to speak" because what you said was incorrect whether judged by Amelican Or pom

The biggest insult for me is when my daughter, who visits the U.K. and is taught be myself, mark her down at school when she does English homework.

The teachers are all Thai and base their experience and knowledge on the American version ???????

It,s also amazing how many Thai teachers have spent time in America and think it,s the main version out there.

My daughter comes home sometimes very downhearted and tells me i am teaching her incorrectly.

Used to that is.

As they test her on one of the slang versions of English, we have reached an agreement whereby she answers as they teach her, while accepting the way i teach her is genuine English outside of the school.

It,s enough to make a preacher swear sometimes when you think of all the different nationalities that are teaching broken English, their style in Thailand.

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

proper American English.

Hilarious!!! :o

Yes, American English is a "bastardisation" of the proper Kings/Queens English. Is it s or z (zed) ???? If Thais could only speak Englsih. But, which one?

English is a West Germanic language that originated from the Anglo-Frisian dialects brought to Britain by Germanic settlers and Roman auxiliary troops from various parts of what is now northwest Germany and the Northern Netherlands. Initially, Old English was a diverse group of dialects, reflecting the varied origins of the Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms of England. One of these dialects, Late West Saxon, eventually came to dominate. The original Old English language was then influenced by two waves of invasion. The first was by language speakers of the Scandinavian branch of the Germanic family; they conquered and colonized parts of Britain in the 8th and 9th centuries. The second was the Normans in the 11th century, who spoke Old Norman and ultimately developed an English variety of this called Anglo-Norman. These two invasions caused English to become "mixed" to some degree (though it was never a truly mixed language in the strict linguistic sense of the word; mixed languages arise from the cohabitation of speakers of different languages, who develop a hybrid tongue for basic communication).

Cohabitation with the Scandinavians resulted in a significant grammatical simplification and lexical supplementation of the Anglo-Frisian core of English; the later Norman occupation led to the grafting onto that Germanic core of a more elaborate layer of words from the Italic branch of the European languages. This Norman influence entered English largely through the courts and government. Thus, English developed into a "borrowing" language of great flexibility and with a huge vocabulary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language

proper American English.

Yes, American English is a "bastardisation" of the proper Kings/Queens English. Is it s or z (zed) ???? If Thais could only speak Englsih. But, which one?

English is a West Germanic language that originated from the Anglo-Frisian dialects brought to Britain by Germanic settlers and Roman auxiliary troops from various parts of what is now northwest Germany and the Northern Netherlands. Initially, Old English was a diverse group of dialects, reflecting the varied origins of the Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms of England. One of these dialects, Late West Saxon, eventually came to dominate. The original Old English language was then influenced by two waves of invasion. The first was by language speakers of the Scandinavian branch of the Germanic family; they conquered and colonized parts of Britain in the 8th and 9th centuries. The second was the Normans in the 11th century, who spoke Old Norman and ultimately developed an English variety of this called Anglo-Norman. These two invasions caused English to become "mixed" to some degree (though it was never a truly mixed language in the strict linguistic sense of the word; mixed languages arise from the cohabitation of speakers of different languages, who develop a hybrid tongue for basic communication).

Cohabitation with the Scandinavians resulted in a significant grammatical simplification and lexical supplementation of the Anglo-Frisian core of English; the later Norman occupation led to the grafting onto that Germanic core of a more elaborate layer of words from the Italic branch of the European languages. This Norman influence entered English largely through the courts and government. Thus, English developed into a "borrowing" language of great flexibility and with a huge vocabulary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language

"language of great flexibility and with a huge vocabulary." and hence the ability to speak with great precision. Anyone know the number of words in the English vocabulary compared to that of Thai?

proper American English.

American of course took the English language to the colonies so we want to thank the English. It's your language, America just perfected it.

Cheers!

I've heard before there are 1 million or 2 million words in English?

And Thai? Where's all the Thai culture experts out there?

All I know is that English is usually regarded as having the largest vocabulary of any language in the world.