Motorcycle Rental Company

Doza

I;m heading up to CM next weekend to heading out ito the mountains with the GF bike riding. I did this a few years ago on the MHS loop and hired a 400CC Honda something Harley style but can't remember where from.

It was ideal and want to get something similar (or bigger as GF will be on back). Anyone recommend? And prices? Anytjhing else?

I;m heading up to CM next weekend to heading out ito the mountains with the GF bike riding. I did this a few years ago on the MHS loop and hired a 400CC Honda something Harley style but can't remember where from.

It was ideal and want to get something similar (or bigger as GF will be on back). Anyone recommend? And prices? Anytjhing else?

Two places worth looking are Tony's Big Bikes (English) in the top of Rachamanka Rd, down there on the left (as you walk, it's one way against you, not that anyone seems to care) about 30m west of Moon Muang Rd, and Mr Beer (Thai with good English) in Rachawitee Rd, about 100m down on the right from Moon Muang.

Confess I have not seen either for many months but guess they are still there.

Safe journeys!

Joe also rents big bikes out

He's located in soi 2, Chiang Moi road, turn at the Thai Military bank down 1/2 block on your right.

Phone 053-251-186

Edited by Ajarn

Two places worth looking are Tony's Big Bikes (English) in the top of Rachamanka Rd, down there on the left (as you walk, it's one way against you, not that anyone seems to care) about 30m west of Moon Muang Rd, and Mr Beer (Thai with good English) in Rachawitee Rd, about 100m down on the right from Moon Muang.

Confess I have not seen either for many months but guess they are still there.

Safe journeys!

They are there. Quite a few places are renting out larger bikes these days. I rented a Honda Steed (Harley style) from a place just inside the moat across from Mike's Burgers on Chiang Moi. The carbs were dirty and the mirror loose, but otherwise in good enough condition for a weekend ride. The raked out front fork of a Harley style bike is NOT what I would choose for all those hairpin u-turns on the Mae Hong Song loop though.... I buried the pegs on the Steed on the Samoeng loop road!

How much ? Just an estimate.

Do you need license for small scooter.

Thanks.

I paid 800 baht per day including insurance (guaranteed me that I wouldn't get t-boned by a car driver!)

I needed to give them a copy of my passport (they REALLY didn't like the idea of a copy. They wanted the real thing, but I am NOT about to leave my passport with anyone in Thailand, and as I have a Thai driver's license they relented and took the copy,) front page and current entry stamp, and a copy of my driver's license. They didn't seem to care too much about the validity of the license as they didn't look at it closely.

A small scooter would have cost me 200 baht per day, same paperwork.

Thanks.

I paid 800 baht per day including insurance (guaranteed me that I wouldn't get t-boned by a car driver!)

I needed to give them a copy of my passport (they REALLY didn't like the idea of a copy. They wanted the real thing, but I am NOT about to leave my passport with anyone in Thailand, and as I have a Thai driver's license they relented and took the copy,) front page and current entry stamp, and a copy of my driver's license. They didn't seem to care too much about the validity of the license as they didn't look at it closely.

:o

I needed to give them a copy of my passport (they REALLY didn't like the idea of a copy. They wanted the real thing, but I am NOT about to leave my passport with anyone in Thailand,

Are they out of their mind, sound like they work for the government. If you have original and they make a copy that should be fine. Is not like you bring them a copy from home. For someone new and innocence would probably just give it up, and they will say they lost it.

I needed to give them a copy of my passport (they REALLY didn't like the idea of a copy. They wanted the real thing, but I am NOT about to leave my passport with anyone in Thailand,

Are they out of their mind, sound like they work for the government. If you have original and they make a copy that should be fine. Is not like you bring them a copy from home. For someone new and innocence would probably just give it up, and they will say they lost it.

I do bring my own copies. (What Thai company is going to make a copy for free?) I also had the original so they could see that too, but I certainly wouldn't leave it with them....

Edited by FolkGuitar

Thanks.

:o

Every where i've ever rented a bike in thailand has wanted to keep the real passport, so they know your coming back, otherwise you could quite easily nick the bike and bop over the border before they noticed you were gone. I wouldn't give a couple hundred K bike out for just a scrap of paper as insurance

Thanks for the plug FOTTF. I'm Tony's partner in Tony's Big Bikes and yes, we are still here (4 years and counting). Your best bet is to drop into the shop and have a chat about your proposed route and preferred riding style then I can recommend a bike for you. Prices are 550/day for a 200cc Honda Phantom up to 800/day for a 400cc V-Twin Suzuki Desperado or Honda VRX with Honda Superfours at 700/day. Discounts available for multi day rents and coz I'm a nice bloke and it's low season :o

BTW, in common with most other rental shops, we keep your original passport because as like Sparrow says, it is our security against the bike. Think about it, if you owned and were selling an 80,000 THB bike and someone you didn't know wanted to test ride it, you'd want some kind of guarantee that they were likely to return wouldn't you? As people don't generally carry large wads of baht about, the passport is our guarantee and we've never lost one yet!

Cheers,

Pikey.

Edited by Pikey

, we keep your original passport because as like Sparrow says, it is our security against the bike. Think about it, if you owned and were selling an 80,000 THB bike and someone you didn't know wanted to test ride it, you'd want some kind of guarantee that they were likely to return wouldn't you? As people don't generally carry large wads of baht about, the passport is our guarantee and we've never lost one yet!

Nobody should give up there original passport a copy and some form of deposit should be sufficient if you check with the issuing authority at no time should your passport be left at any establishment as a form of deposit, additionally a western passport can be sold here for up to 200,000 baht giving plenty of incentive.

I would never never leave my passport with any agency for any reason period and I have never been required to do so once i refuse to leave it.

A western run/owned agency should know better and have other methods in place to protect themselves other than taking original passports from people when they have no right to do so.

If for any reason any agency refuses to return your passport immediately call the police and it will be returned to you immediately as nobody can deny you your own passport.

Edited by FarangCravings

, we keep your original passport because as like Sparrow says, it is our security against the bike. Think about it, if you owned and were selling an 80,000 THB bike and someone you didn't know wanted to test ride it, you'd want some kind of guarantee that they were likely to return wouldn't you? As people don't generally carry large wads of baht about, the passport is our guarantee and we've never lost one yet!
Nobody should give up there original passport a copy and some form of deposit should be sufficient if you check with the issuing authority at no time should your passport be left at any establishment as a form of deposit, additionally a western passport can be sold here for up to 200,000 baht giving plenty of incentive.

I would never never leave my passport with any agency for any reason period and I have never been required to do so once i refuse to leave it.

A western run/owned agency should know better and have other methods in place to protect themselves other than taking original passports from people when they have no right to do so.

If for any reason any agency refuses to return your passport immediately call the police and it will be returned to you immediately as nobody can deny you your own passport.

Fact is, it's not even YOUR passport. It belongs to your government!! (I only learned this recently.) Most hotels in Europe require that you leave your passport at the reception desk when you check in, and police do come around regularly and look at them. But in Thailand you are required by law to CARRY your passport at all times, so leaving it as a security deposit is actually a violation of Thai law, not to mention not a really good thing to do in Thailand.

I've never had a problem using a copy as a deposit when renting something, although it does take some discussion. The clincher is that Thai law requires farang to always have their passport with them unless you hold a permanent resident visa. I never did carry mine (yes, I was breaking the law,) but I ALWAYS had a color copy of the front page, the current visa, and the current entry stamp with me at ALL times. I guess I was asked to produce it 3-4 times in seven years, and once did have to return home to get the actual passport.

While I have met Tony, and have been advised to trust him and his equipment totally, (and do,) I still wouldn't leave my passport there. But then, I have a feeling that if I gave him a copy of my Thai driver's license, he'd feel that was security enough, knowing that I live in Chiang Mai.

Fact is, it's not even YOUR passport. It belongs to your government!! (I only learned this recently.) Most hotels in Europe require that you leave your passport at the reception desk when you check in, and police do come around regularly and look at them. But in Thailand you are required by law to CARRY your passport at all times, so leaving it as a security deposit is actually a violation of Thai law, not to mention not a really good thing to do in Thailand.

I've never had a problem using a copy as a deposit when renting something, although it does take some discussion. The clincher is that Thai law requires farang to always have their passport with them unless you hold a permanent resident visa. I never did carry mine (yes, I was breaking the law,) but I ALWAYS had a color copy of the front page, the current visa, and the current entry stamp with me at ALL times. I guess I was asked to produce it 3-4 times in seven years, and once did have to return home to get the actual passport.

While I have met Tony, and have been advised to trust him and his equipment totally, (and do,) I still wouldn't leave my passport there. But then, I have a feeling that if I gave him a copy of my Thai driver's license, he'd feel that was security enough, knowing that I live in Chiang Mai.

HERE HERE

If they say they lost it what can you do. Recently they seized thousands of U.S. and foreign passports in Thailand, and with it was serveral hundred of original U.S. passports. These are bought and sold for illegal activities.

If someone really want to steal a bike they can go buy a fake passport.

If they say they lost it what can you do. Recently they seized thousands of U.S. and foreign passports in Thailand, and with it was serveral hundred of original U.S. passports. These are bought and sold for illegal activities.

If someone really want to steal a bike they can go buy a fake passport.

More to the point, if they really want to steal bikes, just how hard do you think it is to MAKE a fake passport (it wouldn't pass immigration but it would certainly get passed Somchai if one used, say, an Armenian passport or a Muldavian passport) with a computer, printer, and colored paper from any stationary shop. Frankly my genuine US passport looks fake to me as it was issued in Japan and the photo just glued on with a hot glue gun and pressed. It's even wrinkled! Do you know what a Croatian passport should look like?

Stealing bikes is big business. No need to steal just one if you can steal 100 and have them out of the country the next day. The little bicycle chain locks that most companies give out keeps the bike from being wheeled away while you are at lunch. But in the evening they can just be lifted on to a dolly and rolled away unless locked to something solid with a good strong cable. Passport or no passport....

Stealing bikes is big business. No need to steal just one if you can steal 100 and have them out of the country the next day. The little bicycle chain locks that most companies give out keeps the bike from being wheeled away while you are at lunch. But in the evening they can just be lifted on to a dolly and rolled away unless locked to something solid with a good strong cable. Passport or no passport....

Are you talking about stealing big bikes or small Honda Dream / Wave bikes in Chiang Mai? Because if it's big bikes, I certainly disagree & wonder where you get your info from?

Are you talking about stealing big bikes or small Honda Dream / Wave bikes in Chiang Mai? Because if it's big bikes, I certainly disagree & wonder where you get your info from?

Interpol. Thailand comes in just behind Japan as the highest ranking countries from which bikes are stolen. They don't break down their list by size. Osaka, Japan is at the top of the list of locations for bike theft. I doubt that very many larger bikes are stolen from Thailand. There just aren't that many to steal! But most likely quite a large percentage of the Dream/Wave size bike that are in Cambodia and Vietnam began their life in a Bangkok show room....

Interpol. Thailand comes in just behind Japan as the highest ranking countries from which bikes are stolen. They don't break down their list by size. Osaka, Japan is at the top of the list of locations for bike theft. I doubt that very many larger bikes are stolen from Thailand. There just aren't that many to steal! But most likely quite a large percentage of the Dream/Wave size bike that are in Cambodia and Vietnam began their life in a Bangkok show room....

So you mean that stealing smaller bikes (scooters) is big business in Chiang Mai & "not stealing big bikes in Chiang Mai". And consequently the theft of a big rental bike would NOT be a very likely occurrence at all.

Every vehicle I have ever rented in the world has been done so with my credit card as security. This leaving your passport thing is a joke and should only be needed for those with NO Credit. If they want to run my card as security, fine. If they want to hold my American drivers license, fine. But they are not getting my passport. I plan to rent a bike in CM soon and will pay the 3 weeks in advance. That should be enough to convince that I am not some low-life bike snatcher.

I understand the rental shops' need to guarantee return of the rental, but renters with other, more secure means of deposit should not be required to surrender their passports. It's just an out-dated practice that needs to change.

Edited by naklang

Amazing how trying to be helpful and answering the OPs question and then adding a simple BTW comment leads to all this. Actually, not amazing, just typically ThaiVisa......

Every vehicle I have ever rented in the world has been done so with my credit card as security. This leaving your passport thing is a joke and should only be needed for those with NO Credit. If they want to run my card as security, fine. If they want to hold my American drivers license, fine. But they are not getting my passport. I plan to rent a bike in CM soon and will pay the 3 weeks in advance. That should be enough to convince that I am not some low-life bike snatcher.

I understand the rental shops' need to guarantee return of the rental, but renters with other, more secure means of deposit should not be required to surrender their passports. It's just an out-dated practice that needs to change.

Motorbike rental shops all over the kingdom like to have your passport for security for the bike, as that means you will bring the bike back, or at least attempt to, to recover your passport.

There are so many dodgy characters out there I tell bike shops no passport, no bike rental. Simple.

For all you guys who bitch about it & find it unbelievable, get real TIT. This is the rental system that has been operating here for over 20 years.

Most of the shops dont have a credit card facility, so that does not help very much.

Some of you might be able to politely convince the shop to let you off with a photocopy or a plane ticket or a credit card, but for me (& Im not in the rental business) it's not good enough. If something does happen - an accident, you seriously injure someone & do a runner; they shop is left holding the can. I know of an instance of someone crashing a bike, seriously injuring someone & they did a runner, leaving the bike at the police station. Promising to return, but because they had their passport they simply disapeared & caught the next plane home. If only the shop had not been so nice & kept their passport for security.

There are many more instances of shops getting burned by customers than vice versa. The shop's dont rip you off with your passport or they will be in the deep shit & closed down by the cops.

So come on guys, get real & try to understand the system. Don't just mouth off about how you think it should be. Your own style of thinking (just my way) might in fact be what is a bit outdated & need changing.

I still wont be leaving my passport it stays with me period and my advice is you dont do it either there are shops that dont require you to leave your passport so frequent there business is my advice.

Now off to rent a car for mai sai run (No passport required)

Edited by FarangCravings

I still wont be leaving my passport it stays with me period and my advice is you dont do it either there are shops that dont require you to leave your passport so frequent there business is my advice.

Now off to rent a car for mai sai run (No passport required)

Ah, yes but you live in Chiang Mai & the shop probably figures they know how to track you down. Not the same for Joe Blow the tourist who just rocks up & has no attachment to Cnx when he's just passing through on a tourist visa. Passport please.

Ah, yes but you live in Chiang Mai & the shop probably figures they know how to track you down. Not the same for Joe Blow the tourist who just rocks up & has no attachment to Cnx when he's just passing through on a tourist visa. Passport please.

Fair comment

Amazing how trying to be helpful and answering the OPs question and then adding a simple BTW comment leads to all this. Actually, not amazing, just typically ThaiVisa......

No offense intended, I was just suggesting that other options to the age old system would be welcome and could be advantageous to both sides. Also, was not aware in 2008 that most shops have no credit card capability.

Edited by naklang

No offense intended, I was just suggesting that other options to the age old system would be welcome and could be advantageous to both sides. Also, was not aware in 2008 that most shops have no credit card capability.

Perhaps you need more first hand experience with the rental shops in Chiang Mai then.

Perhaps you need more first hand experience with the rental shops in Chiang Mai then.

More like "any" experience. Glad to have found out prior to avoid any surprises. Assumed it would be like any other past vehicle rental in the kingdom (credit card).

The problem is that with most rental shops, we are "small fry" and don't turn over enough to qualify to accept credit cards. We possibly could do but then the extra cost would be passed onto the customer and that would give some people something more to p1ss & moan about. As Davidgtr states, the holding of the passport is a system that's been in place and worked fine for the majority of people for the past 20 years or so. For expat residents of CNX, we have accommodated people before where they need their passport to blat up to Mae Sai for example so we can be flexible within reason.

Cheers,

Pikey.

• 3 months later...
The problem is that with most rental shops, we are "small fry" and don't turn over enough to qualify to accept credit cards. We possibly could do but then the extra cost would be passed onto the customer and that would give some people something more to p1ss & moan about. As Davidgtr states, the holding of the passport is a system that's been in place and worked fine for the majority of people for the past 20 years or so. For expat residents of CNX, we have accommodated people before where they need their passport to blat up to Mae Sai for example so we can be flexible within reason.

Cheers,

Pikey.

This is a little late to bump this up, but my two cents. I've rented from Tony the last two winters. Got a small bike for tootling around town and local areas, and did a bigger bike rental last year to do the border run. No problem with my passport, and when we went to the border Tony just held some cash until I got back with my passport. I haven't had any hint of Tony or his folks being untrustable; quite the contrary. Just met Pikey at the end of our visit last year so haven't dealt with him yet, but expect we'll be doing so in a couple weeks. See you then.

Ive Known Pikey for the last 3 years since before he was even doing Motorbikes. I know his wife and daughter and all of them are nothing but trustworthy. I would have no hesitation what so ever in leaving my passport with him if I needed to Hire a big bike, not that I can ride one yet, again that is something pikey has offered to help me with, when we both get some free time. If its local Knowledge and a trustworthy company that you want, then go and see him.....IMHO