Will You Give Up High Earning To Live In Thailand?

Dear Sir,

I too could retire this year with approx 160,000 baht per month income. I am a little older than the OP, but don't have his certainty that Thailand is where I want to live permanantly. I will work another 10 years, when my annual retirement income will be much higher, and then consider it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You have more than enough to live like a king in Thailand ! :D

You can eat in fabulous restaurants, stay in high-end condos or houses and be driven everywhere on that money. :D

You might consider whether you want to work another 10 years as a wage slave when you can live splendidly now. :o

I'd stay in BKK or some nice town like Hua Hin until you decide where to settle.

BKK is the transportation hub of SEA. You could even hop from city to city or counrtry to country.

If you want to explore SEA,Cathay Pacific often has an explorer package for $999 where you can go almost anywhere in 21 days.

Buy a ticket and do some recon to get a better idea of how it is to work here.

Check out the living scenarios to live in BKK on

"Bangkok Mouth":

http://www.philipwilliams.freeservers.com/

Claw

Dear Sir,

I too could retire this year with approx 160,000 baht per month income.  I am a little older than the OP, but don't have his certainty that Thailand is where I want to live permanantly.  I will work another 10 years, when my annual retirement income will be much higher, and then consider it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You have more than enough to live like a king in Thailand ! :D

You can eat in fabulous restaurants, stay in high-end condos or houses and be driven everywhere on that money. :D

You might consider whether you want to work another 10 years as a wage slave when you can live splendidly now. :o

I'd stay in BKK or some nice town like Hua Hin until you decide where to settle.

BKK is the transportation hub of SEA. You could even hop from city to city or counrtry to country.

If you want to explore SEA,Cathay Pacific often has an explorer package for $999 where you can go almost anywhere in 21 days.

Buy a ticket and do  some recon to get a better idea of how it is to work here.

Check out the living scenarios to live in BKK on

"Bangkok Mouth":

http://www.philipwilliams.freeservers.com/

Claw

Claw

I think you are correct, I could live well in Thailand on current retirement potential (as I could in many other countries). Issue for me is that right now retirement to Thailand seems more like an abstract, theoretical possibility than something I am actively considering. I have a lot of personal and professional goals I simply can't realize in Thailand. That will change when I get older (and when I will have even more more retirement money). I do not feel like Thailand is a big magnet, constantly pulling me towards it. I don't have thoughts about Thailand and moving to Thailand intruding into my daily thoughts and dreams. If I did, I would be moving there. For right now I am happy to visit once or twice a year. When my vacations in Thailand are through, I have no problem heading to the airport and flying home. At a minimum I am going to wait until I am 50 years old and can qualify for a retiree visa (although this sounds like more a matter of convenience than anything, but 50 sounds like a good time to make a change). This website is interesting because it gives me access to a lot of different perspectives. I completely respect those that have moved to Thailand instead of waiting until their dotage, especialy those that don't have a nice fixed income to live on and have to find work on the Thai economy to scratch out a living. It takes a lot of balls to do this in my opinion.

Hi,

I have been coming to thailand since last five years, and have spent

total of 16 monthes in thailand, and so far i love it more and more,and

getting sick of where i live more and more.

Meantime, my home cost of living is same as thailand (if i live in Bkk,

i don't spend more than 80,000 bhat a month). My job allows me two

month vacation in a year only, which isn't enough as i am high-thaied.

If i take the job offer, i have to stick with it at least for next 5-10 year.

I am 31, single and don't have any plan to get married soon. The main

reason i like thailand is nightlife, friendly people, easy and relaxed life,

exotic enviroment,....

Has anyone been in same situation and has regreted giving up the

earnings or happy moving to thailand?

All advices will be appericiated? Thanks for any help.

p.s i can talk to anyone on MSN or yahoo massenger for some good advice.

You've been going to LOS for 5 years, total of 16 months, but only have 2 months vacation a year?????How do you do that, or is it easy to get of sick and still get paid.... :o

I've been to LOS the first time in Feb last year and have been back 3 times after that and I'm off again next week for a month. I also like the nightlife, the people, the sun,.... but without my business now, I couldn't do that. I've been thinking aswell if I could live there after I fell in love with the place, or the ladies, but I know that if I do that, my business back home would go tits up and I need to start over again....

So I'd rather work hard and take holidays to LOS whenever I can instead of taking the chance of loosing everything. I'm 34 (well next month) so another 10 years and maybe think again if I still like the place. I think and I'm sure that going on holiday and living in LOS is a whole different story. It seems that you like the nightlife and altough that you can get 4K a month, it can be gone very quick when you go out a lot....

What do you do in 5 or 10 years when the thais decide they no longer want you there. There is an abundance of barely getting by foreigners

in Thailand already even though $2k a month is much above what many

make working there and living there. There may be a day in the not so distant future

that these comfotable living foreigners are sent packing, families and all.

Just remember misery loves company and some of these life is grand on the cheap hey sayers comforting themselves saying see here is another one just like me and may not be giving you their true feelings. $2K a month forever funds would probably put you in the top 40% of foreigners on pensions living full time in Thailand for what that is worth.

What is your ability to get back on your feet if things are not as rosy as they seem now in the future. If you can land on your feet and not being able to get a long term visa at 30 then go for it but don't do it because of what others are saying. No two people will have the same circumstances present or future.

You're in DUbai. Hardly the grim and mean place your frown in the first posting stated. Earn all you can there and make sure you've invested well for the future, then bail. If you're keeping your spending low, four mroe years ought to see you with a lot if investment income that you will never regret once you get here.

On the other hand, if you insist on coming here, can you stop at their Duty Free for me on the way out of town? :o

Question for you: What is your job in Thailand?

I'd love to just move to Thailand..but I, like the original person that posted his issues....am very concerned with how I can live/survive in thailand. I'm an engineer/Construction Manager in the USA and there's really not much opportunity to work in thailand with a foreign construction firm.

My work in Thailand will soon end and to be honest, not alot of opportunities to make western income in SE Asia.

Just looking for the right job.

I'd give up my good income for Thailand..simply for the opportunities and adventure but I can't set myself up for failure if I can't have a good reliable income in thailand.

Considering an online wholesale/retail business....would love to spend time working for non profits in thailand etc...