Gay Vietnam

pauleddy

I want to go to Vietnam for 4 or 5 days. I have no idea where to go. Saigon? Hanoi?

I am not really interested in museums etc. I want to meet Viet lads. Is is mainly a money boy thing or can you meet normal guys, students etc?

Where is the 'scene'? saunas? anybody know of a 'gay hotel' or can you just take people back anywhere? (I am not looking for backpacker hotels and can pay for reasonable quality)

Any info welcomed.

Eddy

I want to go to Vietnam for 4 or 5 days. I have no idea where to go. Saigon? Hanoi?

I am not really interested in museums etc. I want to meet Viet lads. Is is mainly a money boy thing or can you meet normal guys, students etc?

Where is the 'scene'? saunas? anybody know of a 'gay hotel' or can you just take people back anywhere? (I am not looking for backpacker hotels and can pay for reasonable quality)

Any info welcomed.

Eddy

Was in Vietnam during March this year in both HCMC(saigon) and Hanoi, saigon comes off a bit more relaxed and cosmopolitan then Hanoi for me was very conservative, as its the bigger business city of the two.

There is no totally gay clubs that I found out about in vietnam have a look at uptopia website they have a more info on clubs, saunas, hotels and cruise spots . A few gay friendly ones (allthough there was one sauna in Hanoi but never went there(was told by a friend who went there it was quite busy), they tend to get shutdown now and then, most of the people I met were through gaydar, didint run into a money boy all the time I was there.

I used a gay tour guide while I was there for sight seeing tours (not sure if i can post the link to his website hee so email pm me for it if you want it). Was cheap provided transport (motobike) to get around the city or can hire a car for you, saw places most probably wouldnt see if i was just doing normaly tours or LPing it. Went to couple of interesting bars (str8 ones) can take you to gay ones if you want.

Taking back depends on the hotel they will nearly always ask for the persons id though. You can get reasonable hotels for 30 to 50 dollars.

Best thing for me was meeting people through gaydar and meeting mates of theres :o, let me know if you want more info on somthing

• 4 weeks later...
In Hanoi (at least) Vietnamese citizens are not allowed into foreigners hotel rooms. But conversely, a non Vietnamese gay couple can get a double bed in a hotel without comment. There is a recent update on Vietnam (north & south) at this page:

http://www.thailandscene.com/seasia/vietnam.shtml

As far as i know this law applies only to woman coming back to your room unless your married.

Last time i went to Hanoi alone... strolling leasurly along in the park in the old quarters sufficed to get "contacted" by a male "student" wanting to make friends and improve his english.. LOL

Do be careful around the lake, some scammers operate there, eg the lets go to a karaoke bar, which is a room in a house and end up with huge bills etc

But yes more around dusk tends to see a few guys around :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm a hidden gay in Hanoi. I have never met any other fag for ......making love. I still feel afraid of gay understanding in Vietnam and I want meet SO for love not for studing English.

If you are in Hanoi in March 2009, let's contact me with the

Ps: I once again remind u I have met no gay b4 so that i feel shy and confused....

you might also try gayromeo as a resourcre, as there's currently almost 500 vietnamese registered there....

Any info welcomed.

Eddy

Was in Vietnam during March this year in both HCMC(saigon) and Hanoi, saigon comes off a bit more relaxed and cosmopolitan then Hanoi for me was very conservative, as its the bigger business city of the two.

There is no totally gay clubs that I found out about in vietnam have a look at uptopia website they have a more info on clubs, saunas, hotels and cruise spots . A few gay friendly ones (allthough there was one sauna in Hanoi but never went there(was told by a friend who went there it was quite busy), they tend to get shutdown now and then, most of the people I met were through gaydar, didint run into a money boy all the time I was there.

I used a gay tour guide while I was there for sight seeing tours (not sure if i can post the link to his website hee so email pm me for it if you want it). Was cheap provided transport (motobike) to get around the city or can hire a car for you, saw places most probably wouldnt see if i was just doing normaly tours or LPing it. Went to couple of interesting bars (str8 ones) can take you to gay ones if you want.

Taking back depends on the hotel they will nearly always ask for the persons id though. You can get reasonable hotels for 30 to 50 dollars.

Best thing for me was meeting people through gaydar and meeting mates of theres :o, let me know if you want more info on somthing

• 3 weeks later...

I am Hanoi man 30 year old, i am normal guy. I got few foreigner gay friends in Vietnam and in UK when i was studying MA course there. i want to step into gay and lesbian travel business(high-end market). Anyone kindly have any suggestions? Or if you are in Hanoi. I could love to take you around on back of my motobkie around Hanoi and enjoy a real life of Hanoi.( I am a safe driver) or i am glad to advice you with any travel subjects in all over Vietnam. Please understand that i do not abuse the gender or no discrimination about picking up gender! :o

Having been in Vietnam recently this is something I had trouble working out for a start.

Well in Hanoi there are apparently gay people cruising around the lake and there are also several gay friendly bars. One which I went to was Mao's, which was very mixed and didn't have much gay presence but it was apparently a gay bar.

In Saigon Utopia suggests Eden, Samsara and Apocalypse. Eden used to be called gay friendly due to having a gay owner but there is a new owner now. It still seems gay friendly but there was nothing gay happening there.

Samsara was apparently a fully gay bar but it's closed!

Apocalypse apparently has a large gay crowd on the weekends. I went there during the week and saw nothing.

I went to a bar called Lush on a Monday and it was quiet but there were a few gay people in and apparently there's heaps on the weekends.

Other than that I met heaps of people on Gaydar and Gayromeo.

Also guys ride bicycles around Pham Ngu Lao and ring bells to announce that they are offering massage. They offer all sorts of services if that's what you're into. They are pretty dodgy though. They have been known to extort people and one stole from me. I don't ever go to moneyboys but I was very drunk this night and I guess it served me right that I got robbed.

One night I brought the massage boy to my room no problem, just had to leave his ID at reception but the following afternoon I tried to bring a guy I met on gaydar and the hotel wouldn't allow him so I guess it's a matter of luck.

Having been in Vietnam recently this is something I had trouble working out for a start.

Well in Hanoi there are apparently gay people cruising around the lake and there are also several gay friendly bars. One which I went to was Mao's, which was very mixed and didn't have much gay presence but it was apparently a gay bar.

In Saigon Utopia suggests Eden, Samsara and Apocalypse. Eden used to be called gay friendly due to having a gay owner but there is a new owner now. It still seems gay friendly but there was nothing gay happening there.

Samsara was apparently a fully gay bar but it's closed!

Apocalypse apparently has a large gay crowd on the weekends. I went there during the week and saw nothing.

I went to a bar called Lush on a Monday and it was quiet but there were a few gay people in and apparently there's heaps on the weekends.

Other than that I met heaps of people on Gaydar and Gayromeo.

Also guys ride bicycles around Pham Ngu Lao and ring bells to announce that they are offering massage. They offer all sorts of services if that's what you're into. They are pretty dodgy though. They have been known to extort people and one stole from me. I don't ever go to moneyboys but I was very drunk this night and I guess it served me right that I got robbed.

One night I brought the massage boy to my room no problem, just had to leave his ID at reception but the following afternoon I tried to bring a guy I met on gaydar and the hotel wouldn't allow him so I guess it's a matter of luck.

It's a shame to hear about Samsara closing, I went there last July and it was the only real gay bar in Vietnam.

Lots of local gay guys and tourists at the Apocalypse club last time I was there - there's a corner of the club (downstairs, to the right of the DJ booth) where most of the gay guys were dancing. It's definitely ok to dance and kiss other guys there, but ladyboys

Lush is the club where the hi-so Vietnamese go in Saigon - the management and the security are not really gay-friendly but maybe my Vietnamese friend and I were just being too slutty!

I was approached by quite a few guys in Hue and Saigon at all kinds of places - at the hotel reception, at internet cafes, on the streets and in the park, even at the post office. Mostly university students and young professional guys (guys with a regular office job, not "professional guys"). People are discreet in Vietnam - you won't see many girly bars or naughty massage places for instance - but there's definitely a scene there.

If you want to meet guys online, google a site called "viet single".

• 2 months later...

I am planning a trip to Hanoi at the end of July.

I have been trying to contact Leo at longviettravel but with no luck. www.picturetrail.com/longviettravel

Anyone ever heard of, or used Vietnam Gay Guy Tours? Would you recomend them?

www.vietnamgayguytours.com

Do any readers know of any other gay guides working in the Hanoi Area?

I suggest you contact Douglas at Purple Dragon who has an office in the lobby of the Tarntawan Place Hotel.

I have used their services several times and the attention to detail and the quality of the guides is second to none (IMHO)

• 5 months later...

we will fly to HCMC in a few days ... and we found out already that there is nothing to do and to see, as far as gay life is concerned ... but what are the most famous discos/clubs there? i am not talking about gay clubs, but "normal" clubs ... are there any big discotheques or just small bars? we are looking for clubs that play house/techno music ... what about lush ... is it a disco or just a bar where people sit and drink?

In Hanoi (at least) Vietnamese citizens are not allowed into foreigners hotel rooms. But conversely, a non Vietnamese gay couple can get a double bed in a hotel without comment. There is a recent update on Vietnam (north & south) at this page:

As far as i know this law applies only to woman coming back to your room unless your married.

Nope

It applies to Viet/non Viet couples irrelevant of the nature of their relationship as well as their genders

Nope

It applies to Viet/non Viet couples irrelevant of the nature of their relationship as well as their genders

I lived in Vietnam from 2002 to 2003 and also have been back many times since. There was never a problem staying at any hotels with a Vietnamese male...the Vietnamese don't seem to have a problem with it, and One bed is the norm. This includes Hanoi, also never had a problem in HCMC, Phan Tiet, Vung Tau, Nahtrang, Hoi An, Danang, Hue, Sapa, and one of my favorite places Dalat. We usually checked in together and were always treated with respect.

Edited by bungalowbill

Nope

I lived in Vietnam from 2002 to 2003 and also have been back many times since. There was never a problem staying at any hotels with a Vietnamese male...the Vietnamese don't seem to have a problem with it, and One bed is the norm. This includes Hanoi, also never had a problem in HCMC, Phan Tiet, Vung Tau, Nahtrang, Hoi An, Danang, Hue, Sapa, and one of my favorite places Dalat. We usually checked in together and were always treated with respect.

My experience is the same - absolutely no problems during my visits in 2008 checking in to any Vietnamese hotels with a Vietnamese male (Hanoi, Hue, Hoi An, Mui Ne, HCMC... so nowhere too off the beaten path, but I think it will not be a problem elsewhere except for perhaps a few surprised expressions from staff).

In fact, the only time my current BF (Thai) and I ever had any altercations with hotel staff on our extensive Asian travels were in Western ghettos in Thailand (Patong Beach in Phuket and Khao San rd in Bangkok). Go figure!

• 2 years later...