Thg Domestic Baggage Margins

citizen33

In the past I have found that Thai Air will allow several kilos over the 20KG limit on economy domestic flights without raising any questions (as recently as Easter for example). I will be flying in later this month with the family and will need to take a domestic connection to the NE. We have a 30KG allowance each on our international flight and I am wondering how much it is prudent to leave with my sister-in-law in Bangkok and how much weight to leave in the hold bags. Has anybody had any recent experience? Unfortunately my Thai Orchid silver card recently expired (10kg extra).

If you are flying in to BKK on Thai airways, you can have your baggaged checked all the way to your final destination and that will allow you the 30 kg. If not, if you are changing airlines the same day you arrive in BKK, then Thai airways may still allow you the 30 kg if you provide your international airline tickets as proof. I'm not sure about this, but you can email Thai air and ask them. You can be more specific as to flights and airlines using, you should get an answer from them.

I make two trips a year with Thai, from LA to Chiang Mai, never had a problem with the 30 kg of baggage all the way to Chiang Mai.

In the past I have found that Thai Air will allow several kilos over the 20KG limit on economy domestic flights without raising any questions (as recently as Easter for example). I will be flying in later this month with the family and will need to take a domestic connection to the NE. We have a 30KG allowance each on our international flight and I am wondering how much it is prudent to leave with my sister-in-law in Bangkok and how much weight to leave in the hold bags. Has anybody had any recent experience? Unfortunately my Thai Orchid silver card recently expired (10kg extra).

Get to the airport before check-in opens and try to be first in the queue. I find that if you can check in as early as possible, most airlines will let extra KG slide, within reason. The closer you get to the close of check-in the more strict the airlines are