Us Embassy Fiancée Visa Appointments

Just to give anyone applying for a fiancée visa to the States a heads-up. On November 3rd, my fiancée handed in her DS-230I, two 2"photos, a photocopy of her passport, and the "checklist" and in return she got her appointment date of February 2nd, 2005. That''s 13 weeks and one day. Their website states 10-12 weeks, so I guess they are a little behind.

My original I-129F Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) was accepted on August 6th in California. So it seems that I may get the entire process done in about six months.

Good - glad everything is going well in your process.

Can you give any more details on when you sent in your I-129F, when you received the first notification, and then when you received the second notification (approval)? Just curious because I just sent in our I-129F original submission, and I'm going to compare my experience with the Vermont Service Center to what you experienced.

My hope is to be able to shortcut the process just a bit by having my fiancee attempt to turn in her DS-230I, photos and checklist before they are issued by the Embassy in BKK. She has them ready to go. I think I read somewhere that you can do that once you have the second notification (approval) of the I-129F from the USCIS service center.

That would cut a few weeks off by eliminating the wait for document transfer. Is that possible?

kenk3z

Here is the timeline for me. What I don't mention here is that when I submitted the I-129F, there was about 180 day backlog at the California Service Center. But somehow, while I was waiting, they went through 3 months of backlog in two weeks.

From what I understand, you cannot do anything at the embassy until the NVC assigns a case number to you. Now, I waited until the embassy received the case number from the NVC and sent out the forms to my fiancée. But from what I understand, once you have the case number, you can go to the embassy to pick up Packet 3. This could shave four weeks off your waiting time.

Good luck.

August 5, 2004

I send in the I-129F, Petition for alien fiance form, and supporing documents.

August 6, 2004

The USCIS receives my application.

August 13, 2004

I receive the I-797 Notice of Action from the USCIS telling me they got my package.

September 10, 2004

I receive a request for evidence. Specifically, they want new application photos.

September 20, 2004

USCIS receives my submission from their "Request for evidence". Specifically, they receive new copies of my application photos.

September 22, 2004

USCIS approves my I-129F petition and forwards to NVC.

October 4, 2004

I receive notice that my petition was aproved. The postmark is October 1st, even though their website stated the approval notice was mailed on September 22nd. The validity of the petition is from 09/22/2004 to 01/21/2005. The approval notice states that the NVC will take two to four weeks to process it. And the Bangkok embassy states it will take 10-12 weeks for schedule the interview after they receive the first round of papers from my fiance. Not to mention the lag time from when she gets those papers and sends them in. I can't imagine the appointment taking place before January 21, 2005, so I suspect they will have to extend the petition approval.

October 9, 2004

I receive notice from the NVC that they are forwarding the application to the Bangkok embassy.

October 22, 2004

Bangkok Embassy receives paperwork from the National Visa Center (NVC) and mails Packet 3 to my fiancée.

October 29, 2004

My fiancée receives the Instruction Package, formerly known as Packet III. This packet typically includes: Form DS-156, Nonimmigrant Visa Application; Form DS-156K, Nonimmigrant Fiance Visa Application; and Form DS-230, Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration

November 3, 2004

US Embassy in Bangkok receives forms from my fiancée and gives her an appointment date, February 2, 2005.

November 3, 2004

My fiance receives the Appointment Package, formerly called Packet IV. This packet includes an interview notice, some additional forms, and instructions.

Just to give anyone applying for a fiancée visa to the States a heads-up. On November 3rd, my fiancée handed in her DS-230I, two 2"photos, a photocopy of her passport, and the "checklist" and in return she got her appointment date of February 2nd, 2005. That''s 13 weeks and one day. Their website states 10-12 weeks, so I guess they are a little behind.

My original I-129F Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) was accepted on August 6th in California. So it seems that I may get the entire process done in about six months.

Oh My God a one week behind how about waiting two years for an <deleted> immigration visa like i did i can do one week on my head for wait time :o

Good - glad everything is going well in your process.

Can you give any more details on when you sent in your I-129F, when you received the first notification, and then when you received the second notification (approval)?  Just curious because I just sent in our I-129F original submission, and I'm going to compare my experience with the Vermont Service Center to what you experienced.

My hope is to be able to shortcut the process just a bit by having my fiancee attempt to turn in her DS-230I, photos and checklist before they are issued by the Embassy in BKK.  She has them ready to go.  I think I read somewhere that you can do that once you have the second notification (approval) of the I-129F from the USCIS service center.

That would cut a few weeks off by eliminating the wait for document transfer.  Is that possible?

kenk3z

Looking at the USCIS Processing times for Vermont, I suspect the NVC will be done about one month after you made your submission. After you get your case number from the NVC, fax that letter to your fiancée. Maybe she can use that to get her packet 3 documents. Then submit them for an appointment. This is only hearsay, I don't know for sure if the embassy will give her packet 3 before they get the official notice from the NVC.

Here is the timeline for me. What I don't mention here is that when I submitted the I-129F, there was about 180 day backlog at the California Service Center. But somehow, while I was waiting, they went through 3 months of backlog in two weeks.

The center to which your case is sent is mattering less, since the backed up regional centers are now sending cases to other (less backed up) centers for processing.

I had the misfortune of getting married in Thailand, which means that my I-129f is processed by the national benefits center, which is NOT sending cases to other centers. They received my I-129f on Aug 4, but we are not expecting action until January...

In a related vein:

US naturalization is much faster than it used to be. My wife's naturalization took about 17 months from start to finish in 2000-01. Her sister submitted her paperwork in March 2004 and is being sworn in next week. About 8 months. Quite an improvement.

Both are Thai and are working thru the Oakland, CA INS office.

Thanks for the timeline Dave - very informative.

I've had a significant problem convincing the fiancee that I can't just go to an immigration office and buy her a visa. :o

Fortunately the Vermont Service Center is the fastest in the country. They issued a receipt notice of action for us on November 5th. And I have found out our application was approved on November 17th.

Now looking forward to hearing from the National Visa Center with a case number.

kenk3z

• 2 weeks later...

A good friend is in BKK now waiting on his girls interview appointment next week.. He is hoping that once the interview is completed that she can accompany him back to the US within 3 to 5 days... Is this possible??? Is the interview the last step, and do they usually issue the Visa right after it???

Pianoman

I can only repeat what I have read several times - that you return to the Embassy/Consulate the next day for the Visa, which is placed in the Thai citizen's passport. Plus, you are handed a sealed envelope to give to US Immigration at the US Point of Entry. And told not to open the envelope. :o

kenk3z

The center to which your case is sent is mattering less, since the backed up regional centers are now sending cases to other (less backed up) centers for processing.

I had the misfortune of getting married in Thailand, which means that my I-129f is processed by the national benefits center, which is NOT sending cases to other centers. They received my I-129f on Aug 4, but we are not expecting action until January...

Interested in your comment "I had the misfortune of getting married in Thailand". Can you enlighten me a bit more on that? I assume you mean that you married the same girl here but now wish you had waited and married her in the USA instead? Where can I get more information on the pros and cons of marrying a future wife here or waiting and doing the fiancee visa and getting married in USA. Will it affect her eventually getting a USA passport or entry sooner to the USA for visits? I have heard so many different stories. Thanks for any and all input.

Interested in your comment "I had the misfortune of getting married in Thailand". Can you enlighten me a bit more on that? I assume you mean that you married the same girl here but now wish you had waited and married her in the USA instead? Where can I get more information on the pros and cons of marrying a future wife here or waiting and doing the fiancee visa and getting married in USA. Will it affect her eventually getting a USA passport or entry sooner to the USA for visits? I have heard so many different stories. Thanks for any and all input.

In other thread it seemed you were married but now see you are just planning. In that case marriage and a tourist visa are not likely without more than a retirement visa bond to Thailand. But if you can prove that you both plan to stay in Thailand by other factors it might fly without some history together here.

Will let other posters give specific reasons for saying marriage was a mistake but in general the background/visa process for fiancee has been faster than for marriage. There is another process in use now and do not believe there is usually much difference these days but it is very new. If you plan to live in Thailand I would not even consider fiancee visa.

In other thread it seemed you were married but now see you are just planning. In that case marriage and a tourist visa are not likely without more than a retirement visa bond to Thailand. But if you can prove that you both plan to stay in Thailand by other factors it might fly without some history together here.

Will let other posters give specific reasons for saying marriage was a mistake but in general the background/visa process for fiancee has been faster than for marriage. There is another process in use now and do not believe there is usually much difference these days but it is very new. If you plan to live in Thailand I would not even consider fiancee visa.

yes we plan to live here, but would like to be able to visit my parents, who are getting older with some health issues and kids from earlier marriage a couple of times each year for 2-4 weeks each year going forward....nothing perminant going forward for now back in the usa....

yes we plan to live here, but would like to be able to visit my parents, who are getting older with some health issues and kids from earlier marriage a couple of times each year for 2-4 weeks each year going forward....nothing perminant going forward for now back in the usa....

Believe I would wait six months or so after marriage to help prove you are not trying to cut down the visa wait period but do not believe there is any fixed rule. The more proof you can provide of a home here, own car, long term lease, etc the better. Once she makes a trip and returns it should be no problem - it's the first time that can be a bear.

Believe I would wait six months or so after marriage to help prove you are not trying to cut down the visa wait period but do not believe there is any fixed rule. The more proof you can provide of a home here, own car, long term lease, etc the better. Once she makes a trip and returns it should be no problem - it's the first time that can be a bear.

Spot on Lop. First time for my wife was a hassle. Since then, treated swimmingly she is.

Look, lean on your elected representatives if you must for support. Its part of their job and though a civil servant (Consular Officer) is by no means required to act any more favorably, a nice letter tucked into the packet signed by someone with a Capital Hill address never hurts.

We included letters of support from preachers, state representatives and congressmen as well as the things from here.

Best of luck.

Just an update... My friends Lady had her interview on Thursday, everything went well and by 11:30am they were on the phone saying that she would pick-up her passport w/visa the next day... The party started Friday night and won't stop until they board the plane for the States on Monday....

Good things do happen to Good people...

Pianoman

• 1 month later...

Hey daveh,

Are you still on for your fiancee's visa interview on February 2nd?

I have heard that some visa beneficiaries are being called by the US Embassy to delay their interview by a couple of weeks and wonder if that happened to you?

My fiancee turned in her required forms and checklist in the middle of December and still has not received her interview appointment letter. Normally they have been giving people their interview date as they turn in the required materials, but supposedly the person who assigns interview dates was "unavailable" that day.

So I hope you are still on schedule. At this point I'm presuming our interview date has been set but we don't know it yet.

kenk3z

Hey daveh,

Are you still on for your fiancee's visa interview on February 2nd?

I have heard that some visa beneficiaries are being called by the US Embassy to delay their interview by a couple of weeks and wonder if that happened to you?

My fiancee turned in her required forms and checklist in the middle of December and still has not received her interview appointment letter.  Normally they have been giving people their interview date as they turn in the required materials, but supposedly the person who assigns interview dates was "unavailable" that day.

So I hope you are still on schedule.  At this point I'm presuming our interview date has been set but we don't know it yet.

kenk3z

Sometime in December, the embassy called my fiancée and asked if she would like her interview earlier. So she got her Feb 2nd appointment moved to Jan 7th. Then because of the tsunami, they called her again to tell her it would be later and they moved it to Jan 26th. So in the end, it is still a little earlier than it was initially scheduled.

And you are right, when my fiancée handed in her paperwork in person, they gave her an appointment date on the spot. You can try calling the embassy to see if they scheduled an appointment for her. Visa Contact Information. They actually have a website that lists visa interview dates, Upcoming Immigrant Visas Appointment Schedule, but it has not been updated since October 6, 2004.