Overseas Tax Return Preparation For Expats

Based on a continual smattering of inquiries that work their way into my inbox (and for which I presently have no answer), I'm considering the idea of adding a division to my company to provide overseas income tax preparation services for expats. Not just for residents here, but also for passers-through, such as oil industry workers.

So - I am looking for input feedback from members of this board - preferably e-mailed to me at [email protected] (easier to archive comments that way).

Questions I would like answered:

1. To what other country must you submit annual income tax return? How many Bangkok sources of tax preparation for this country are you aware of?

2. Do you presently use a tax preparer based in Bangkok? If so, what do you pay each year?

3. Would you be willing to pay 6,000 baht (at simple end) to 10,000 bhat (complex situations) for competent, professional service?

I am also interested in same types of information in relation to Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Samui, Hua Hin, etc.

If you think such a service is a good/bad/unnecessary/whatever idea in relation to where you live in Thailand, please share your thoughts.

Thanks!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

www.indo-siam.com

[email protected]

Based on a continual smattering of inquiries that work their way into my inbox (and for which I presently have no answer), I'm considering the idea of adding a division to my company to provide overseas income tax preparation services for expats.  Not just for residents here, but also for passers-through, such as oil industry workers.

So - I am looking for input feedback from members of this board - preferably e-mailed to me at [email protected] (easier to archive comments that way).

Questions I would like answered:

1.  To what other country must you submit annual income tax return?  How many Bangkok sources of tax preparation for this country are you aware of?

2.  Do you presently use a tax preparer based in Bangkok?  If so, what do you pay each year?

3.  Would you be willing to pay 6,000 baht (at simple end) to 10,000 bhat (complex situations) for competent, professional service?

I am also interested in same types of information in relation to Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Samui, Hua Hin, etc.

If you think such a service is a good/bad/unnecessary/whatever idea in relation to where you live in Thailand, please share your thoughts.

Thanks!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

www.indo-siam.com

[email protected]

There will be no market for UK expats.

There is no requirement to declare overseas earnings to the UK Inland Revenue,

provided you are outside the country most of the year.

Such people will be classed as Non-Resident and Not Ordinarily Resident,

provided that visits to the UK do not exceed 183 days in one tax year, AND

average less than 91 days per year, over the last 4 years.

Tax is still payable on UK investments, but can be offset against the UK personal tax allowance.

Full details are on the Inland Revenue website

Hope this helps