Tot Adsl - I'm Fed Up, Time For A Change

PattayaDavid

I have used TOT GoldCyber ADSL services for 3 years and as all of you are well aware, TOT has blocked video streaming sites such as YouTube.  Actually, I have been unable to view any videos from any source in over 6 months now.  I live on a compound off Soi Khaw Noi and want to make a switch.  My service had been out or the past 2 days and while talking to the service technician, he confirmed that TOT, being a government owned or controlled, whichever, company does indeed block YouTube.  I asked him as to why I am unable to view videos from other sites, but he didn't have an answer.

I'm looking for the best service provider in my area.  I presently have a TOT phone line and would prefer to find a good provider that could use the existing TOT line because there is generally a waiting list to obtain a new phone line connection, but if not, I am willing to make the switch.  I want to make sure that I sign-up with a provider that doesn't restrict the viewing of flash videos such as YouTube.

I welcome your suggestions and if possible, could you provide contact information and/or package prices.  I presently have the 2G/512K TOT GoldCyber package.  I want to get it right this time!

Thanks,

Pattayadavid 

I recently switched from CAT to Maxnet (TT&T). They have no restrictions on youtube etc, and the service is pretty reliable. They use TOT lines, and I am on 2048/512 for 1090 baht p/m (plus mandatory telephone rental of 100 ish baht). Not sure if they can use the existing line, but worth a try. Their office is on the first floor of carrefour.

Failing that CAT was very reliable, I changed because they were very expensive. I had 2048/1012 with them for 2,800 per month (this is their minimum package). They don't require that you have a phone number, I only just got a landline with TT&T when I switched. Their office is on Pattaya Thai, just east of the 3rd road junction.

I switched phone line and ADSL from TOT to TT & T last year. There must be some connection between the 2 as my monthly bill still comes in a TOT envelope even though I pay TT & T and they share an office at the Carrefour complex.

I recently switched from CAT to Maxnet (TT&T). They have no restrictions on youtube etc, and the service is pretty reliable. They use TOT lines, and I am on 2048/512 for 1090 baht p/m (plus mandatory telephone rental of 100 ish baht). Not sure if they can use the existing line, but worth a try. Their office is on the first floor of carrefour.

Failing that CAT was very reliable, I changed because they were very expensive. I had 2048/1012 with them for 2,800 per month (this is their minimum package). They don't require that you have a phone number, I only just got a landline with TT&T when I switched. Their office is on Pattaya Thai, just east of the 3rd road junction.

I switched phone line and ADSL from TOT to TT & T last year. There must be some connection between the 2 as my monthly bill still comes in a TOT envelope even though I pay TT & T and they share an office at the Carrefour complex.

Yeah TT&T rent the lines from TOT, hence the separate bills for ADSL and phone. Did TT&T use the existing TOT line and number, or insist on connecting a new one?

Pattayadavid

I have had the same TOT package as you for several years and it started out ok, being able to stream video etc but the last year or so it has been so bad that skype voice wouldn't work, forget anything bandwidth intensive like skype with video, or even viewing naughty images. Impossible.

Here is a speed test a did a while ago.

Remember this should be a 2meg down connection.

BTW this is from CHonBuri to Bangkok, internal not even international. The second test was to NY if I remember correctly.

post-5463-1215588237_thumb.jpg

post-5463-1215588319_thumb.jpg

Yeah TT&T rent the lines from TOT, hence the separate bills for ADSL and phone. Did TT&T use the existing TOT line and number, or insist on connecting a new one?

TT&T and TOT do not share any lines, nor do they share telephone exchanges.

That's why in some area's you can get TOT only, some area's you can get TT&T only, and some area's you can get both.

TOT does never thouch TT&T lines (luckily I might add :o )

The only thing they share is billing, since TT&T has to pay concession fees to TT&T, what better way to control them then by TOT doing all the billing!

TT&T is entirely private, and hence has far better customer service, and actually slightly better eqipment (DSLAM's etc). Not perfect, but hey :D

Pattayadavid

I have had the same TOT package as you for several years and it started out ok, being able to stream video etc but the last year or so it has been so bad that skype voice wouldn't work, forget anything bandwidth intensive like skype with video, or even viewing naughty images. Impossible.

BTW this is from CHonBuri to Bangkok, internal not even international. The second test was to NY if I remember correctly.

Heck, I get better speeds on the road using my AIS GPRS aircard :o

Bangkok

293812107.png

And the USA

293813038.png

I have tot and 2mb/512 for 1000 baht per moth.My download speed varies from 190kbs down to 4.3kbs as of 1 minute ago.Overall tot is ok but i do get annoyed when my family send vids from youtube and i cannot even see my family on it.Never mind we are in the outback here in Thailand,long live the revelution.

Pattayadavid

Heck, I get better speeds on the road using my AIS GPRS aircard :o

Bangkok

293812107.png

And the USA

293813038.png

I get fairly good connection speeds; it just that I can't use the internet to it's fullest.  My service has been generally reliable, but I would like to do a little bit more than surf the internet and send/receive emails.  Every time I try to watch any video from any source, at best it will load about 2 seconds worth of video then freeze.

Both TOT and TT&T are provided on my compound.  I originally went with TOT 3 years ago because there was a 4 month waiting list for a TT&T number.  Maybe it will be easier to acquire a number now, but if not, I can always sign-up for a number and keep my TOT until it's available.

Any other suggestions for service in the Soi Khaw noi area of the dark side?

Pattayadavid

Any other suggestions for service in the Soi Khaw noi area of the dark side?

Pattayadavid

Depending on how important this is for you, and how much you are willing to spend, inquire at CAT.

They have a substation somwhere high up on soi Nern Plub Waan, so it might be possible they can hook you up.

Expensive though at 2850 Baht/month for 2M/1M connection, but IMO worth every penny of it...

TT&T and TOT do not share any lines, nor do they share telephone exchanges.

That's why in some area's you can get TOT only, some area's you can get TT&T only, and some area's you can get both.

TOT does never thouch TT&T lines (luckily I might add :o )

The only thing they share is billing, since TT&T has to pay concession fees to TT&T, what better way to control them then by TOT doing all the billing!

TT&T is entirely private, and hence has far better customer service, and actually slightly better eqipment (DSLAM's etc). Not perfect, but hey :D

Sorry Monty, the above makes no sense whatsoever.

Also they do not share billing. I signed a contract with TT&T, and expected a single bill for ADSL and phone. I now receive a TT&T bill for ADSL, and a separate TOT bill for telephone.

I really think the internet quality here has a lot to do with location, not provider so much.

I've been in about 8 different locations and had horrible to great experiences with the same providers.

It's a mixture of line quality and exchange quality.

Thankfully now we have both CAT and tt&t (2 adsl connections), and they both are great :o

I really think the internet quality here has a lot to do with location, not provider so much.

I've been in about 8 different locations and had horrible to great experiences with the same providers.

It's a mixture of line quality and exchange quality.

Thankfully now we have both CAT and tt&t (2 adsl connections), and they both are great :o

I agree; most of the time my TOT connection is fairly good for Thailand standards.  I would not be looking to change if it wasn't for TOT's, either voluntary or mandatory, blocking of most if not all steaming video viewing.  I wish that there was a map or diagram of some sort that identified the location of each provider's stations.  This way, I would be able to choose from those available in close proximity to my home.  I will checkout CAT and TT&T Maxnet in the coming days even though CAT is a little out of my price range.  It wasn't mentioned, but is CAT's ADSL carried over their own phone lines or are they available over TOT lines?

Pattayadavid

One thing worth thinking about is TiT... Things have a way of changing here, it's quite possible we could change from ToT to another provider and that they confirm that access to youtube is no problem with them, also it's possible they are telling the truth, but then Tit comes into play and it all changes over night, for what ever reason youtube blocked again...

Just a thought :o

One thing worth thinking about is TiT... Things have a way of changing here, it's quite possible we could change from ToT to another provider and that they confirm that access to youtube is no problem with them, also it's possible they are telling the truth, but then Tit comes into play and it all changes over night, for what ever reason youtube blocked again...

Just a thought :o

Good point, however it has been at least 6 months since TOT began blocking transmissions, but others have not followed suite.  My understanding, talking with the TOT technician today, is that TT&T and others are private commercial companies and are not obliged to block these sites.  Also, it's not only YouTube that is blocked by TOT.  I can't download any streaming video; even Fox News videos want play.  YouTube may be blocked by decree, but I kind of think that TOT has expanded this in order to control bandwidth; possibly they have over extended themselves.

Yes you have a good point too PattayaDavid. but why is it not the same for all of us on TOT ? I cant view any video now on youtube, not even with a proxy, but some here in Pattaya can ?

Then after reading your post about you not even being able to view Fox news video due to TOT blocking it I have just been to Fox news to see if I could view anything ? Fox news video opens and plays ok for me ? if TOT are blocking then why are we not all blocked on the same things ?

There is to many things that affect speeds on ADSL distance from the exchange, quality of your line, what router/modem you have I am on TOT cybergold and tonight my speed have been 1700+kbs and 307kbs but In have had a few disconnections I would guess due to the storms. Whilst I cannot view youtube I have had no problems anywhere else the main problem I have is slow speeds from England and America but they are not to bad I just need a bit of patients

Also they do not share billing. I signed a contract with TT&T, and expected a single bill for ADSL and phone. I now receive a TT&T bill for ADSL, and a separate TOT bill for telephone.

I know it is confusing :o

There are actually 3 companies involved when using Maxnet.

Of which only two you signed separate contracts with. TT&T to supply a phone line, and Maxnet to supply ADSL over TT&T's phone line. You have nowhere entered into a contract with TOT, which only would be possible at TOT's office on Pattaya Klang/third road junction.

The 3-some works as follows:

TOT, which does the billing of the phone line (107 Baht or 139 Baht with caller ID/month plus any phone calls you make).

TT&T which owns and installed the line.

And Maxnet, which is your ISP (a subsidiary owned by TT&T, but entirely separated from the phone part). Maxnet actually pays DSLAM rental fees to TT&T for each ADSL subscriber they have!

If you want to use Csloxinfo as ISP, Csloxinfo will pay the rental of the DSLAM to TT&T. The Csloxinfo contract can be signed at TT&T's office! No need to contact Csloxinfo directly. And you'll still receive a phone bill from TOT.

TT&T receives part of the phone bill, after TOT has deducted the concession fees.

You can also pay at TOT's office on Pattaya Klang, no problem. Only the phone bill, NOT Maxnet!

If you have a TOT line, you cannot subscribe to Maxnet ADSL, since TT&T simply does not have access to TOT's phone lines!

And vice versa, if you have a TT&T line you cannot subscribe to TOT's goldcyber ADSL (not that you'd want to :D )

You explained the billing and how confusing it is------------> but that leaves the actual hardware question?

You say that TOT and TT&T have their own cabling schemes, repeaters, terminals and exchanges?

Can you give physical locations for the two companies in the Pattaya area?

We all know that TOT has a main office(telephone central office) in central Pattaya on 3rd road and Pattaya klang.

Where is TT&T's main offices?

Of which only two you signed separate contracts with. TT&T to supply a phone line, and Maxnet to supply ADSL over TT&T's phone line. You have nowhere entered into a contract with TOT, which only would be possible at TOT's office on Pattaya Klang/third road junction.

TOT, which does the billing of the phone line (107 Baht or 139 Baht with caller ID/month plus any phone calls you make).

And Maxnet, which is your ISP (a subsidiary owned by TT&T, but entirely separated from the phone part). Maxnet actually pays DSLAM rental fees to TT&T for each ADSL subscriber they have!

If you want to use Csloxinfo as ISP, Csloxinfo will pay the rental of the DSLAM to TT&T. The Csloxinfo contract can be signed at TT&T's office! No need to contact Csloxinfo directly. And you'll still receive a phone bill from TOT.

TT&T receives part of the phone bill, after TOT has deducted the concession fees.

You can also pay at TOT's office on Pattaya Klang, no problem. Only the phone bill, NOT Maxnet!

If you have a TOT line, you cannot subscribe to Maxnet ADSL, since TT&T simply does not have access to TOT's phone lines!

And vice versa, if you have a TT&T line you cannot subscribe to TOT's goldcyber ADSL (not that you'd want to :D )

I pay my maxnet bill at the office at Carrefour which I think is a TOT office, but I am not sure

I pay my maxnet bill at the office at Carrefour which I think is a TOT office, but I am not sure

The office in Carrefour is TT&T.

I currently have TOT's 1M/512K package which costs 2700B a month which has proven quite reliable with actual speeds of 850K/380K to BKK, though international can be a bit hit and miss.

Anyone have information on prices of other packages and actual acheivable speeds ? I also see Banglamung Cable TV are offering internet packages, anyone with info on the speeds and quality ?

You say that TOT and TT&T have their own cabling schemes, repeaters, terminals and exchanges?

Can you give physical locations for the two companies in the Pattaya area?

We all know that TOT has a main office(telephone central office) in central Pattaya on 3rd road and Pattaya klang.

Where is TT&T's main offices?

The main office and exchange from TOT is indeed on Pattaya Klang.

I'm not sure at the moment, but TT&T used to have a rather big exchange in the small soi besides Bangkok Bank on second road (opposite soi 6), they might still be using that, they have another above their offices on Naklua road.

Nowadays they are putting up small exchanges/ DSLAM's everywhere, both TOT and TT&T.

Looks like this:

dslam02.jpg

Reason they have to do this is because of the limited distance ADSL travel, especially no that connection speeds of between 2 and 4 mbps are common. Cable length has to be under 2 km to achieve a proper 4 mbps connection (based on 0.4 mm copper cable), hence the need of all these little substations.

I know the location of several, but don't know they are TT&T or TOT. One is at the entrance of Suksabai village, close to the caddy shack!

Paul1970

I currently have TOT's 1M/512K package which costs 2700B a month which has proven quite reliable with actual speeds of 850K/380K to BKK, though international can be a bit hit and miss.

Anyone have information on prices of other packages and actual acheivable speeds ? I also see Banglamung Cable TV are offering internet packages, anyone with info on the speeds and quality ?

Do you have any special needs on your Internet I have cybergold with TOT I pay 1000B a month for a 2M/512 line as I said above speeds of 1700/308+ (these speeds were last night in stormy conditions I normally see speeds of 1780/380)

You have to remember that if you change supplier you might end up with slower speeds because your line length is longer you really need to ask around locally to see what other people are getting (speeds and reliability) with other suppliers before you decide to change

Edited by offset

I have used TOT GoldCyber ADSL services for 3 years and as all of you are well aware, TOT has blocked video streaming sites such as YouTube. Actually, I have been unable to view any videos from any source in over 6 months now. I live on a compound off Soi Khaw Noi and want to make a switch. My service had been out or the past 2 days and while talking to the service technician, he confirmed that TOT, being a government owned or controlled, whichever, company does indeed block YouTube. I asked him as to why I am unable to view videos from other sites, but he didn't have an answer.

I'm looking for the best service provider in my area. I presently have a TOT phone line and would prefer to find a good provider that could use the existing TOT line because there is generally a waiting list to obtain a new phone line connection, but if not, I am willing to make the switch. I want to make sure that I sign-up with a provider that doesn't restrict the viewing of flash videos such as YouTube.

I welcome your suggestions and if possible, could you provide contact information and/or package prices. I presently have the 2G/512K TOT GoldCyber package. I want to get it right this time!

Thanks,

Pattayadavid

Pattayadavid

I have tried them all, TOT, TT&T, True, CLoxinfo and Ji-net. Today I put on BTV Banglamung Cable Net. You will find them on www.pattayabtv.com Cost per month 1590Bt. Initial cost was 9090Bt for cable modem, installation and 1 month rent. Speed 2Mbps/512K 1590Bt P/mth, or 1Mbps/512K 990Bt P/Mth. No more phone connection problems, direct cable. My Download speed today at 3PM was 1820Kbps and Upload Speed was 460Kbps. I saw them this morning and was up and running at 2.30PM. They wanted me to sign up for cable TV but I told them I was signed up for 1 Yr to Sophon so they put the cable net on for me. Speed is great.

All the best OZEMADE

Today I put on BTV Banglamung Cable Net. You will find them on www.pattayabtv.com Cost per month 1590Bt. Initial cost was 9090Bt for cable modem, installation and 1 month rent. Speed 2Mbps/512K 1590Bt P/mth, or 1Mbps/512K 990Bt P/Mth. No more phone connection problems, direct cable. My Download speed today at 3PM was 1820Kbps and Upload Speed was 460Kbps.

Off to a great start!

But the question is, download what? Have you tried any torrents?