Exporting ( Custom Made Suits )

Some people in my office building after seeing my suits that I've purchased from my past trips over the years to thailand want to buy custom fitted suits and tuxes from me. However i'm not talking about bringing over 10 -20 each time I go on Vacation. I believe I can have orders for 200 - 300 pieces.

I have a tailor now in Thailand I've been going to for years that makes my suits and tuxes and sales them to me at US $70 - $80 each. I have yet to tell him about my biz idea so he should go even lower for that large of an order. I also plan on looking around for some wholesale places myself, I assume that all these store front shops just have the materials but go to a couple locations to get the tailoring done.

Here are my questions.

1. Do I need any special permit or license if I'm just buying suits to send back to America to sale?

2. I can do the import research for the states myself but what type of export costs will i be looking at? I'm assuming the best way to to export these is by ship. How long does that usually take? I only plan on doing 2 shipments a year of 200 - 300 pieces each time.

3. Has anyone tried this before? Is anyone doing this right now? I know it's a little bit more detailed than importing and exporting toys (I'd have to learn how to measure people) but if expenses were right it looks like i might have an low investment winner.

I plan on marking the suits and tuxes up 70% - 100% don't plan on getting rich just would like to offset some of my trip costs. Now if i am able to get rich that will be even better :o

Thanks in advance to all that can give me advice.

One last thing this is a thailand fourm and I've been going there for years but I am open to doing business in other countries if it makes more since.

T

Will you do the necessary alterations yourself, in the US, once your customers realize that the suits they bought don't quite fit?

The answer to your question is YES ofcourse. It's called follow through. You raise a valid point. But it seems from your post that you feel all suits are going to "not quite fit". If i felt a product that I was going to buy wether for myself or resell was going to be bad quality I'd take my business elsewhere. And I do plan on getting samples, placing small orders , etc. before I choose a company/person to work with. That's just basic research.

So do you have any information to add to my orginal post?

1. To be 100% legal within the Thai system, you need a work permit and an export/import license (hard card) if you function as the exporter yourself.

2. You have to take the FOB charges (packaging and transport of the goods to the harbor, issuing of the paperwork etc.) into consideration. Calculate 10,000 Baht (more than enough) per shipment and you should be on the safe side.

Seafreight charges about US$ 50 per ton or m3 (whatever is better from the forwarders point of view). Clearance charges and national transportation charges depending on where the final destination of the goods are in the US. If you do not the clearance and pick-up at the harbor yourself you will need to employ a broker for this job in the States.

To make sure that there will be no problems when clearing the goods make sure the shipment is probably labeled and all pieces carry labels bearing information such as box number, goods and quantity contained, net and gross weight, measurements of the box.

Last but not least keep in might that in the US a quota regulation applies for all adult garments (only certain children clothings are exempted) imported from Thailand. Talk to US Customs first BEFORE you really get active and ask them what documents will be required.

Advice: Identify a manufacturer here in Thailand that is familiar with exporting garments to the US and holding an export license and approriate quota.

In the first stage, however, check at your end in the States with Customs and get there input and requirements. With this information on hand source for the most appropriate supplier here in Thailand and assure that all aspects can be covered by him.

Remember, with improper paperwork the shipment can not be cleared in the States. In the worst case it will be seized and you will end up with nothing but cost and headaches.

Lots of luck.

Richard