Sky Box From Uk

regedit

Whilst it would receive free-to-air channels these are few and far between. The 'free' channels on UBC still require a card and it's a different decoder to that used by Sky (UBC uses IRDETO II).

IMHO not worth bringing, give it away to a friend :o

Before I throw it out I wondered if there was any use for it here, eg. could it be set-up to receive free channels ? Or is it of no use here and best sold as scrap metal ? Thanks.

I brought one over a few years ago and it made an excellent doorstop ! But, managed to sell it at Theprassit market in Pattaya for 500 baht!

Whilst it would receive free-to-air channels these are few and far between. The 'free' channels on UBC still require a card and it's a different decoder to that used by Sky (UBC uses IRDETO II).

IMHO not worth bringing, give it away to a friend :o

The encryption means nothing.

As the OP said free to view channels, and there are many out here on the Ku band, however your Sky box with the original electronics will get about 10 high band satellites depending on where you are located in Thailand and the sort of sky box you have.

You should get free to view channels from these satellites on a small 1.2m offset dish, but very limited content.

Eutelsat W5

ABS1

Telstar 10

Thaicom 5

ST1 (if you are in southern Thailand)

Measat 3 (free radio only)

NSS6

Asiasat 2 (In northern Thailand)

NSS11 (In northern Thailand)

Thaicom 1 (limited feeds mostly)

Telstar 18 (In northern Thailand)

Intelsat 8 (In northern Thailand)

Check out Lyngsat for yourself to get a better idea.

If you are in Southern Thailand use your Sky box to subscribe to Astro on Measat 3 as they use a similar NDS encryption as Sky do there in the UK.

Edited by joncl

Eutelsat W5

ABS1

Telstar 10

Thaicom 5

ST1 (if you are in southern Thailand)

Measat 3 (free radio only)

NSS6

Asiasat 2 (In northern Thailand)

NSS11 (In northern Thailand)

Thaicom 1 (limited feeds mostly)

Telstar 18 (In northern Thailand)

Intelsat 8 (In northern Thailand)

That's a pretty impressive list, however exactly how many unencrypted ENGLISH language channels are available on these birds? (big assumption that our OP being from the UK will be looking for English programming).

IMHO it's still not worth the bother when a cheapo receiver with IRDETO (so it will get UBC assuming you have a card) and Diseq (so it will control a steerable dish which you'll need if you want to look at more than one satellite) is a few 000 Baht.

Obviously if you're technically inclined (I am), a real cheapskate (I'm not) and a masochist (I'm definately not) then I suppose the Sky receiver could be made to work :o

The whole point is not whether it can be made to work (it certainly can) but whether it is WORTH bringing the box, in this case, considering the limited content available, I would suggest that it's not.

Edited by Crossy