Surf Check On July 17th

Atreyu

I'm up in Chiang Mai visiting family. I'm thinking about heading down to Phuket next week for a couple of days of fun in the warm water before I head home to the wetsuit. How are the waves lately? Can anyone point me to links for any local surf reports? I don't want to make the trip if all there is is knee high surf.

Also I am looking for a good place for board rental, and advice as to what region to stay in to optimize break potential. Should I stay in Phuket Town, rent a vehicle and drive to wherever it looks good for the day, or is there a place where I can stay and walk to a couple of different breaks.

Any advice is welcome, breaks, hotels, board shops, etc. To give a bit of context, I'm a mid level surfer, extremely comfortable in the water, etc. Double overhead in front of a jagged reef would not be my thing, but just about anything else would make my trip a happy one. :o

Peace,

Peter

I'm up in Chiang Mai visiting family. I'm thinking about heading down to Phuket next week for a couple of days of fun in the warm water before I head home to the wetsuit. How are the waves lately? Can anyone point me to links for any local surf reports? I don't want to make the trip if all there is is knee high surf.

Also I am looking for a good place for board rental, and advice as to what region to stay in to optimize break potential. Should I stay in Phuket Town, rent a vehicle and drive to wherever it looks good for the day, or is there a place where I can stay and walk to a couple of different breaks.

Any advice is welcome, breaks, hotels, board shops, etc. To give a bit of context, I'm a mid level surfer, extremely comfortable in the water, etc. Double overhead in front of a jagged reef would not be my thing, but just about anything else would make my trip a happy one. :o

Peace,

Peter

Seems a swell just hit today, set waves almost double overhead, but likely to fall in the next few days.

I'm not a surfer (can barely swim :o ) but found this link recently on Jamies weather blog (great blog). It's a live weather report from Nai Yang beach - gives the wind, gusts, cloudbase, humidity, all sorts of stuff and automatically updates itself every few minutes.

http://www.kitesurfthailand.com/wind/

Stay in Kata. There are a bunch of board rentals there.

It's been a consistent 2-4 but I did not see the surf yesterday. Kata Noi, also a good break.

Peace,

Peter

Yesterday was bigger, 4-6 but the winds and the storms have made it quite messy.

I considered jumping in, but worry about water quality (sewage, construction chemical runoff etc.)

after rains, maybe some paranoia from my days in California......

Search google,phuket boardriders,

i got back from phuket 16th/7 after 2 weeks in that time had 5 surfs 4 at kata noi, one at kalim which is reef,3 to 5ft.missed the good surf that they had for the surf comp 19/20th at kalim,if there is any surf it well be at kata noi.

cat