Where To Get The Best Hotdog?

dotcom

Hotdog = frank (aka frankfurter) = wiener = 'smokie' (per my Thai wife)

Brat (aka Bratwurst) is something totally different and much more edible (my opinion).

A sausage is essentially a hotdog but with added spices.

Some could ultimately classify all three as being the same but for us 'long cylindrical meat object connoisseurs' there is a difference. :o

Hi,

pardon my ignorance but isn't a "Hot Dog" a US invention

But to get to the point, a Hot Dog to be called as such must be a Frank served in an open, steamed bun with the toppings I believe,

John

One of two or three German immigrants are generally acknowledged to have "invented" the hotdog in the U.S.A., which is the frankfurter/bun combination. Typically all beef, beef/pork or beef/pork/turkey combinations are popular; So yes, distinctly different from sausages, which are typically all pork.

The bun can be steamed or grilled. A piece of sliced bread can be used in a pinch, simply roll it flat. The frankfurter can be boiled, grilled, broiled, or nuked. I prefer a lightly-grilled bun (both outsides for that type of bun, or flayed and grilled insides for that bun type) and a grilled all beef frankfurter with mustard, finely diced onions and relish. Corn dogs are an odd variation; an all beef frankfurter on a stick dipped in a cornmeal batter and then deep fried. There's probably a chocolate-dipped hotdog out there somewhere.

I have seen what look to be high-quality all beef frankfurters, sold loose by the kilo, at the supermarket in Central World (7th floor). I have not tried them. Have also spotted them at the supermarket in Paragon.

Like many things in the U.S., immigrants brought their recipes from their homelands and then perhaps modified them as a result of availability of ingredients or local consumer tastes.

So yes, distinctly different from sausages, which are typically all pork.

Yes, 'typically' pork, but I have made some delicious sausages from venison and elk. (Summer sausage).... yum yum..

Sorry for getting off topic, my mouth is now watering, gotta go......

In a previous lifetime, I worked maintenance in a shopping mall in Middle America. There was a place in the food court that served "all-natural" hot dogs, flown in fresh from New York City...most excellent!

So there are two alternatives for a hot dog...that is the first one, the other is what most people think of, the bright red or pink dog, mystery meat (beef and beef lips...or as my younger sister would say, lips and <deleted>). When you cook them in water, the water ends up being pink as well, I suppose from all the dye leaching out of the hot dogs.

Hi,

pardon my ignorance but isn't a "Hot Dog" a US invention which you grab at a Hot Dog Stand and almost always consists of a Frank (well the lowest quality possible) which is made eddible by adding lots of mustard, majo, onions, sauerkraut ......

That is what I always thought, but there are also higher quality, all beef hotdogs - often called Kosher hot dogs - which is what most of us seem to be missing.

I have only had one good hotdog in all my years in Thailand at a place that was open for a very short time that was in competition with the first Mike's Burgers. By the way, Mike's hotdogs are big, tasteless and mushy - no matter how much gunk you spray on them.

Yeah, I remember Hebrew National, you KNOW those are beef, not pork! Da*n good.

Yeah, I remember Hebrew National, you KNOW those are beef, not pork! Da*n good.

Hebrew National Beef and Nathan's Famous are the top commercially produced dogs. Many deli's also crank out some great frankfurters. While I love sausages, there is something special about the mildness and crunch of a proper hot dog.

Hebrew National Beef and Nathan's Famous are the top commercially produced dogs. Many deli's also crank out some great frankfurters. While I love sausages, there is something special about the mildness and crunch of a proper hot dog.

We make Franks with 60% Pork and 40% Beef and than hot smoke them with imported Beach Wood for about 3 hours (no liquid smoke here)- using the Beef gives them a much firmer bite- I think I'll have to make them again either this week or next week and will place some into Villa 33 as well as in the Bistro. However, because of the production and the Beef (no lipps and <deleted> but bottom round) they are a bit more expensive then your other Franks or UFO's on offer.

I always reserve a few for myself and daughter to eat with Foodland buns (I find them much better than Farmhouse) - plenty of Sauerkraut cooked with bacon and some white wine, German Loewensenf and a bit of Ketchup :D I also put some chopped up raw onion on top

One experience though, especially Thai Kids seem to prefer the soft, mushy Thai version in purple :o only god and the producer knows what's in them,

John

post-30681-1218041162_thumb.png

That's why I miss Michigan hot dogs. The state law there only allows them to be made using "skeletal muscle," otherwise known as good cuts of meat you can sell as something else. All hot dog eaters in Michigan cried the day the US Supreme Court ruled that the law could only be applied to hot dogs made in Michigan. This higher standard was a restriction of interstate commerce, you see. And indeed it was. The floodgates opened quickly and Michigan hot dog eaters were finally able to choose the nationally advertised brands. (Guess who brought the lawsuit?) They didn't, not for years. The Michigan hot dog makers, like Eckrich and Kowalski, survived and thrived. It's been over 30 years now, and if you choose a brand made in Michigan you get a really good hot dog. Thai hot dogs...not so much the thing for me. But BKKJohn, yours sound good. I may have to try them!

Hi,

it turnes out that I'll have to make the franks tomorrow so they will be available at the Bistro and in Villa as of Saturday ... now here is a thought:

Our Special on Saturday is Chilly con carne with jalepeno Corn Bread -

how about a Chilly Dog and instead of the usual bun in jalepeno corn Bread?

I have no Idea if something like this is around or not but our US friends with abundend dog knowledge will surely know.. if not I may have invented a new Dog :D wonder if the Guide Michelin would be .... naaaa :o

John

I have no Idea if something like this is around or not but our US friends with abundend dog knowledge will surely know.. if not I may have invented a new Dog :D wonder if the Guide Michelin would be .... naaaa :o

John

Sounds a lot like a corn dog (the dog is fried in corn bread batter). :D

John

Hi Ulysses,

I know these but I'm thinking about an open "shaped" corn bread with the dog and chilly on top, more like a normal dog,

John

John

Hi Ulysses,

I know these but I'm thinking about an open "shaped" corn bread with the dog and chilly on top, more like a normal dog,

John

Your cornbread hotdog with chili on top sound kinda good. I may have to try one. Original corndogs like Ulysses spoke of are really quite awful. I remember as a kid some vendors would call them "Crusty Pups". That's one food I don't miss.

Cornbread just doesn't have the right texture and consistency to serve as a hotdog bun. It'll basically crumble and fall apart after one bite. Most chili dogs in the U.S.A. do not use Chili Con Carne, which typically has red beans in it, it's more of a meat sauce spiced like CCC. Some favorite chili dog outlets actually use chopped/diced hotdogs as the meat for the chili sauce used on the hotdogs.

"Chili con carne" means chili with meat. Just "chili" means you'll get beans, but no meat. What comes on chili dogs is a chili sauce which has meat but no beans. Clear now?

Cornbread is the classic accompaniment to chili con carne in my family. My Mom used to bake the cornbread on top of the chili in a casserole dish. At my house we eat the chili spooned over the cornbread, like biscuits and gravy. We have another piece of well-buttered cornbread on the side. It's as delicious made with ground pork here as it was made with hamburger in the US.

No cornmeal?? I've never been to BKK and not seen it. I use the stuff they label polenta, because that's cornmeal.

You Southerners can just quit reading now. I use yellow corn meal and sugar, and no self-rising flour. I do know how to make Southern style cornbread, as good as the stuff an old Kentucky boy's Mom made, according to him. I just don't like it that way.

Cornbread, Northern style

1 cup flour, sifted

¼ cup sugar

1 tablespoon baking powder

¾ teaspoon salt

1 cup yellow cornmeal

2 eggs

1 cup milk

¼ cup oil

PreHeat - 425°

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in cornmeal. Add eggs, milk, and oil. Beat until just smooth. Pour into preheated greased 8" x 8" x 2" pan. Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes.

Where to get the best hotdog in Bamgkok?

Answer: My house.

I finally broke down & bought a package of Johnsonville Smoked Brats.

Brought em home.

Prepared some chopped onion, hot dog buns, ketchup & some hot dog relish (Heinz in a jar).

O my fricking God. It was heaven. And the good news is you can make em yourselves at home too.

Forget that DQ stuff. This is heaven on Earth. Bon Appettie.

Tropical murphys on samui...135 bht for a well tasty big dog,fries,and side salad...lashings of fried onion mustard and ketchup...happy days....mmmmmmm

No cornmeal?? I've never been to BKK and not seen it. I use the stuff they label polenta, because that's cornmeal.

You Southerners can just quit reading now. I use yellow corn meal and sugar, and no self-rising flour. I do know how to make Southern style cornbread, as good as the stuff an old Kentucky boy's Mom made, according to him. I just don't like it that way.

Cornbread, Northern style

1 cup flour, sifted

¼ cup sugar

1 tablespoon baking powder

¾ teaspoon salt

1 cup yellow cornmeal

2 eggs

1 cup milk

¼ cup oil

PreHeat - 425°

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in cornmeal. Add eggs, milk, and oil. Beat until just smooth. Pour into preheated greased 8" x 8" x 2" pan. Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes.

Hi,

sure is their cornmeal available but being out in Minbury I send a member of my staff all the way to Villa to buy a few KG's since we weare out of stock ... when she came back mid afternoon I was busy with some other cooking matters and by the tme I got around to making the cornbread I found 5 KG's of corn starch in the bag .......... :o my comments to the particular member of my staff would not make the moderators happy if I was to repeat them here and it was too late to repeat the exercise so I made this one instead and it was received very well today,

John

She did buy the sour cream though which I use in my cornbread recipe .. a case of TIT

IMO, you can't beat an all beef dog. Nathans or Hebrew National are the best, but Villa has Oscar Meyer all beef dogs and all beef bologna......we just got a Villa in Hua Hin and I think I gained five pounds in my two trips so far........also spent more in one day there than the wife spends in the day market all week.

BTW, Jiffy Cornbread mix is perfect for a batch of old fashioned "regular" cornbread, my apologies to the gourmet cooks on this thread, but I like mine plain. For fancy "sugared" corn bread I used to love Marie Callendar's which you can buy in a round can in the States.

My family always had cornbread with the big Lima beans, cooked with a ham bone. My mother disliked the beans the way my Dad liked them and kept a small pan to herself made the "normal" way. The rest of us were treated to 1/4 cup of sugar added to the beans a few minutes before serving, which made them sweet and DELICIOUS. I found dry Lima beans at Villa as well, and my darling wife made them for me with a batch of Jiffy cornbread.......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Coney Island at Nathan's or any Sabrett Cart

with "Dirty Water Onions" a new york treat..

..but since your in Bkk , my friend aptly named Hot Dog,

for bringing Sabrett's for sale here in Phuket ,

he speaks highly of some American Hot Dogs at

Tops Central in Phkt.

So

they might be at Tops Bkk too. I've yet to try them..

.I've been happy wth a Carrefour pork dog called

a strausbourg sausage or something like that...

.BTW, Smoked brats aren't Hot Dogs ,

Frankfurters are also called Hot Dogs.....

in New York and most places....

Chili Dogs do use a true Chili ,

accorging to the International Chili Federation ...

.they say true chili hast no beans or pasta or rice or pone

.....As a chef in many places in USA , I found Chili con carne

in majority of menus , does have meat and beans....

.It's popular that way but when real cookout chili is created

...I mean cookoffs, I've won and been a Judge....

it's hotter and chunks of stewing beef are preferred

or a Brisket worked for me once.....

BTW, my Chili Con Carne recipe is sold frozen for re-heatin'

at home @ The Deli Supermarket in Patong from

Flower Foods....along with other dishes of my recipes....

I may come out of retirement and finally open my own

Deli & Diner & Heros & Subs....just like the old days,

when I was at Derby King in Patpong....

Please don't blame me for their farang Food

, I left in '93 , for years since , they used my menu.....

I had to hear complaints for over 10 years after I left

....they finally changed the menu a few years ago...LoL

....never in a hurry here !!! BB

[/size]

Coney Island at Nathan's or any Sabrett Cart

with "Dirty Water Onions" a new york treat..

..but since your in Bkk , my friend aptly named Hot Dog,

for bringing Sabrett's for sale here in Phuket ,

he speaks highly of some American Hot Dogs at

Tops Central in Phkt.

So

they might be at Tops Bkk too. I've yet to try them..

.I've been happy wth a Carrefour pork dog called

a strausbourg sausage or something like that...

.BTW, Smoked brats aren't Hot Dogs ,

Frankfurters are also called Hot Dogs.....

in New York and most places....

Chili Dogs do use a true Chili ,

accorging to the International Chili Federation ...

.they say true chili hast no beans or pasta or rice or pone

.....As a chef in many places in USA , I found Chili con carne

in majority of menus , does have meat and beans....

.It's popular that way but when real cookout chili is created

...I mean cookoffs, I've won and been a Judge....

it's hotter and chunks of stewing beef are preferred

or a Brisket worked for me once.....

BTW, my Chili Con Carne recipe is sold frozen for re-heatin'

at home @ The Deli Supermarket in Patong from

Flower Foods....along with other dishes of my recipes....

I may come out of retirement and finally open my own

Deli & Diner & Heros & Subs....just like the old days,

when I was at Derby King in Patpong....

Please don't blame me for their farang Food

, I left in '93 , for years since , they used my menu.....

I had to hear complaints for over 10 years after I left

....they finally changed the menu :o a few years ago...LoL

....never in a hurry here !!! BB

[/size]

Hi,

I think I know you, did you manage /discjockey a place on bangla for a while with a unique way of serving Tequila ... especially the lemon part .. :D did enjoy that Our dogs are New York style with sauerkraut onions mustard ketchup etc.. our Franks are smoked and I believe are probably the best franks and subsequently the best Dogs available here - I do use Beans in my Chilli which is more authentic to the Mexican original than the texan cookoff Chilli,

John