Where To Get The Best Hotdog?

dotcom

Where to get the best hotdog in Bamgkok?

Answer: My house.

I finally broke down & bought a package of Johnsonville Smoked Brats.

Brought em home.

Prepared some chopped onion, hot dog buns, ketchup & some hot dog relish (Heinz in a jar).

O my fricking God. It was heaven. And the good news is you can make em yourselves at home too.

Forget that DQ stuff. This is heaven on Earth. Bon Appettie.

Where do the Johnsonville Brats come from? Are they manufactured in the U.S.A. and then shipped here? Frozen? Fresh?

How did you cook them?

Most of the bigger markets in Bangkok have impressive selections of fresh sausages, some of which appear hot-dog like.

Sometime you have to try a deep-fried hot-dog (aka: a ripper) a la Lawton's or Rutt's Hut.

Where do the Johnsonville Brats come from? Are they manufactured in the U.S.A. and then shipped here? Frozen? Fresh?

How did you cook them?

Most of the bigger markets in Bangkok have impressive selections of fresh sausages, some of which appear hot-dog like.

Sometime you have to try a deep-fried hot-dog (aka: a ripper) a la Lawton's or Rutt's Hut.

USA - yes

frozen - yes

I warmed mine in a skillet with a little oil. These would be terrific on a bar b q or tailgate party.

The buns I heated in a toaster oven.

Kasekrainer from Eurogourmet in BKK. Thats the best sausage in Thailand. I buy them 5 kg at the time and put them in my big dog freezer. Perfect for BBQ or breakfast. Mmmm...

I agree. I bought a selection of sausages at Villa 33 and the Kasekrainers won out as the best.

But, what I'd give for a package of Coney Island Nathan's. Just ask Joey Chestnut.

Picture3.jpg

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

Brats are all very well, and Johnsonville ones are a better brand of them, but hot dogs they are not. We haven't found any truly good hot dogs here. Still looking.

I totally agree with Cathy, Brats are great, but there is a big difference between brats and hotdogs. I wouldn't eat a hotdog if you paid me to.

Brats with spicey mustard, ton of onions, and some sauerkrat.... yum yum... Have them at least once every couple of weeks.. Johnsonvilles of course!!!

I thought the proper name for "hot dog sausages" is "frankfurter".

ewwwwwwwwwww Tiger stadium would include a trip to Detroit.

I guess I will die never having tasted the finest (forget what you said the brand name was).

Living in Saudi Arabia for 10 years you get used to improvisation.

Being rather non anal I can eat hot dogs from 7-11 without suffering too much mental trauma.

I agree, those Johnsonville Beef Brats are the best. Made in Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin and we tried them for the first time about four months ago when my wife picked some up the local supermarket in Austin, Texas and we will never go back to hot dogs.

One of the things I miss most from my home town in the US, is a foot long Conney island with special Chile sauce and lots of onions. The smell when you unwrap it and the first bite is sooo good.

Maybe it is time to plan a trip back. :D

To where, Santiago? Conney (Coney) Island? What is this "Chile sauce"? :o What is your home town? Maybe you've had some chili on your tube steak?

Edited by lomatopo

I find the hot dogs (well I always get the chili dog) at The Tavern on Soi 4 to be pretty good. At 100 baht, I don't find it expensive. They have a little bbq grill out the window to cook the dogs. The chili could use a little bit of work, but it is alright. I wish they had better buns. Friends haven't had the problems with the buns that I have. I would like them to be a little bit softer. At any rate, they are pretty good!

Just bought a pack of Beddar Cheddars and a pack of Smoked Brats at Villa on Soi 33/1. First time I've ever tried them - and they are excellent, my kids liked them too. But at 395 a pack, that's too much for regular consumption, so now I guess I go on a search of suitable alternatives :o

Hi,

pardon my ignorance but isn't a "Hot Dog" a US invention which you grab at a Hot Dog Stand and almost always consists of a Frank (well the lowest quality possible) which is made eddible by adding lots of mustard, majo, onions, sauerkraut ...... the add ons vary by region, I am familiar with the"New York Hot Dog" which is quite tasty if one is hungry and does not think about the contents :o and the fact that, as one vendor revieled to me, the longer they spend in the water the better they become ... hmmm

European versions may contain other sausages but even in the UK and Germany its usually a Frank ..... the Dutch version is called a "Frikandelle" which is a skinless kind of sausage reknown to contain all sorts of srap meat incl. horse - served in a Hot Dog bun with majo and ketchup with raw onion pieces sprinled over - just received a wholesale request for those and will make them except I will use pork shoulder and beef and leave out the horsy - in other European countries Hot Dogs are franks but are not served in an open bun but in a short french bread that's been scewered over a metal pike and the sausage is stuffed into the hole, not allowing for those tsty extras like the others.

But to get to the point, a Hot Dog to be called as such must be a Frank served in an open, steamed bun with the toppings I believe,

John

Hi,

pardon my ignorance but isn't a "Hot Dog" a US invention which you grab at a Hot Dog Stand and almost always consists of a Frank (well the lowest quality possible) which is made eddible by adding lots of mustard, majo, onions, sauerkraut ......

That is what I always thought, but there are also higher quality, all beef hotdogs - often called Kosher hot dogs - which is what most of us seem to be missing.

I have only had one good hotdog in all my years in Thailand at a place that was open for a very short time that was in competition with the first Mike's Burgers. By the way, Mike's hotdogs are big, tasteless and mushy - no matter how much gunk you spray on them.