Beach Front Condo

I have been to Hua Hin , lovely place, very busy,prices seem high for Thailand, beaches nicest outside of Hua Hin.

Sadly no Hospital that is worthwhile close by though!

I am interested in Golf, Sailing Tennis, and the normal indulgent pastimes.

I am going to look closely at Pattaya, I note the suggestions to go further south, so any thoughts of where to stay when we visit in Dec/Jan would be much appreciated. Condos are the way to go, you cannot own land on which any houses are built.

Pattaya is about an Hour and half from Airport i believe, and that makes a huge difference. I do fancy being able to get to Islands for clean water and beaches, which is easily done I believe from Pattaya.

Do I gather they are trying to tidy Pattaya up a bit as well?

All help needed, Yes renting for six months seems a good idea, if you can spend that amount of time, sadly for me two to three weeks is the best it will get.

Suggestions most welcome

I really all depends on what kind of life style you want. Laid back or "action". As another poster suggested, try staying in each for 6 months then you'll get a better idea. I spent 6 months in Hua-Hin. After three months I was actually bored to death. Luckily, I had a car so I could travel out of town to see other things. Haven't been to Pattaya in 40 years so I can't advise you there. But this is what I can tell you about Hua-Hin:

1. Good transportation by baht bus. You can go from one end of town to the other for 20 baht.

2. Tuk tuks expensive for short 2 km rides!

3. Central Festival major shopping complex in town. After two trips you'd seen it all. Cinema there only in Thai.

4. "Makro" outside of town toward the south, expensive taxi ride.

5. Only one airline at airport, $3600 Baht one way to BKK, 12 seater twice a day, sometimes!

6. Beach...I think sucked. To many "jellys" (and big ones), water not clean, and beach only at "low tide".

7. Bar scene adequate as are the massage places.

8. Resturants are plenty. Prices somewhat cheaper than Phuket.

9. VIP Bus to BKK numerous and decent. 11 person vans are also cheap. Hourly.

10. Buy property now, HRM and family are moving there soon (permanently). When they do: a.) prices will go up b.) best hospital care you can get will be there, Doctors will follow. c.) Police will do there job hence crime (what little there is) will drop to nil. d.) Bigger stores will also be built.

11. The "worse" thing!....Immigration is stuck out in a housing tract that you literally need a 4WD to get to it when it rains.

I could add more but that should be enough.

The north end of the Beach Road in Pattaya is quieter and more upmarket. If you have the money rent an apartment in the Northshore development, but have one facing south to get the sundown. The action is far enough away for you to take it or leave it, but you will be living in a small town and less likely to die of boredom.

I really all depends on what kind of life style you want. Laid back or "action". As another poster suggested, try staying in each for 6 months then you'll get a better idea. I spent 6 months in Hua-Hin. After three months I was actually bored to death. Luckily, I had a car so I could travel out of town to see other things. Haven't been to Pattaya in 40 years so I can't advise you there. But this is what I can tell you about Hua-Hin:

1. Good transportation by baht bus. You can go from one end of town to the other for 20 baht.

7 baht in town

2. Tuk tuks expensive for short 2 km rides!

moto taxis plentiful, safe and cheap, find a driver w/car and get his ph. number to go most anywhere in a/c comfort cheaper than tuktuk

3. Central Festival major shopping complex in town. After two trips you'd seen it all. Cinema there only in Thai.

4. "Makro" outside of town toward the south, expensive taxi ride.

5. Only one airline at airport, $3600 Baht one way to BKK, 12 seater twice a day, sometimes!

6. Beach...I think sucked. To many "jellys" (and big ones), water not clean, and beach only at "low tide".

Great beaches a few km out of town

7. Bar scene adequate as are the massage places.

8. Resturants are plenty. Prices somewhat cheaper than Phuket.

9. VIP Bus to BKK numerous and decent. 11 person vans are also cheap. Hourly.

Every 20-30 minutes, when full they go.

10. Buy property now, HRM and family are moving there soon (permanently).

HM lives there pretty much full time already, has done for several years.

When they do: a.) prices will go up

Huge increases over the past 2-3 years already, no more bargains.

b.) best hospital care you can get will be there, Doctors will follow. c.) Police will do there job hence crime (what little there is) will drop to nil. d.) Bigger stores will also be built.

11. The "worse" thing!....Immigration is stuck out in a housing tract that you literally need a 4WD to get to it when it rains.

Go when its dry, no worries.

I could add more but that should be enough.

Edited by johnnyk

Why do you want to get the train?

It is not like the systems in the western world.

The bus / minibuses are good and easy to get.

Dont forget taxis are cheap by western standards. bangkok to Pattaya can be as low as 1500 baht plus tolls approx 100 baht. HH well over 2000 , say 2200 as stated before. Not that you would take taxis every time but be aware that it is an option particularly if you have a few people travelling.

jojothai

Err... I don't think there are any trains to Pattaya. I think from the timetable Bangkok to Hau Hin it is 382THB single 2nd class (first is all about sleeper accommodation) So A/C and all that, but also a part of the lifestyle as well I think?

I hope this link is correct we are relying on it!

http://www.railway.co.th/english/images/N_S.pdf

Edited by pkrv

Why do you want to get the train?

It is not like the systems in the western world.

The bus / minibuses are good and easy to get.

Dont forget taxis are cheap by western standards. bangkok to Pattaya can be as low as 1500 baht plus tolls approx 100 baht. HH well over 2000 , say 2200 as stated before. Not that you would take taxis every time but be aware that it is an option particularly if you have a few people travelling.

jojothai

Err... I don't think there are any trains to Pattaya. I think from the timetable Bangkok to Hau Hin it is 382THB single 2nd class (first is all about sleeper accommodation) So A/C and all that, but also a part of the lifestyle as well I think?

I was only asking why they wanted to get the train.

Exactly the point from your mail.

Why pay nearly 400 Baht and take more time when you can get a good aircon bus as easily and more cheaply.

Maybe some people would do it for the experience.

The link you gave looks quite promising, but looking at the timetable for Hua Hin to Bangkok, I would not really consider it unless I wanted to go in the middle of the night.

regards

jojothai

I know there are trains to Pattaya on the eastern railway line, but very few.

Didnt say before I got you a link. See as follows.

Checking around other sites there is no advance ticketing. So you get what there is available and have the luxury of travelling in the lifestyle. :o

http://www.pattaya.net/transport.htm

jojothai

jojothai - opps I hope I didn't offend, that was not intended at all - I am going to try to use this for the first time (for HH) and don't wish to become unstuck!

train times seemed timed for the hotels (especially the 2nd class special express diesel)

Bangkok to HH leave 08:05 arrive 11:11

HH to Bangkok leave 16:01 arrive arrive 19:45

The main station in Bangkok is on the BTS (or accessable by taxi) handy for me. Third class is 294 THB (with AC) or 234 (with fan)

It looks like you can advance book by email but only 30 days in advance - It looks like you get a code back by email to do this, but we will be in HH in late October (hopefully we will not be rained out) so cannot confirm at this time (will let you know).

I couldn't find a train service between Bangkok and Pattaya but I may have made a mistake and would be interested to know.

There are some fun YouTube videos on this stuff

BEWARE...lots of uninformed and/or biased commentary below! About as useful as stepping in a soi-dog pie!

They are very different towns.

The only true comment.

HH is much more laid-back, more family oriented, classier, more Thai.

Translation: Boring, old guys pushing around strollers, snooty, consume more lao khow than Black

Pattaya is largely a falang ghetto geared to extreme forms of sanuk and the extraction of money from drunks.

Biased and uninformed...many high-net worth ferengs and Thais call Pattaya home.

Pattaya is chaotic and HH is much more agreeable on a daily basis. Pattaya has plenty of louts, much rarer in HH.

If your idea of fun is riding a mangy half-starved flee-bitten horse up and down the beach everyday is your idea of fun.

Remember HM The King lives in HH, the locals ae very proud of that and I doubt very much they would allow HH to descend to Pattaya's position on the respectability ladder.

Are you aware there is a royal residence in Pattaya too?

Takes a bit longer between BKK and HH, it is about 210km while Pats is about 130km.

HH is 3-4 hrs drive from Bangkok; Pattaya only 1.5!

HH is a gateway to the south and the islands with beaches extending for many miles down the gulf coast.

Same on opposite side of Gulf for Pattaya. Ever heard of Ko Samet, Ko Chang and Ko Kong (Cambodia)!

Pattaya is for people who love life...all manner of outdoor sports from diving (none in HH) to sailing, golf, polo, etc. Great restaurants (HH very few), great nitelife if you want to partake. Basically, people come to Pattaya to live and go to Hua Hin to die :o

Edited by NotNew2You

Remember HM The King lives in HH, the locals ae very proud of that and I doubt very much they would allow HH to descend to Pattaya's position on the respectability ladder.

Takes a bit longer between BKK and HH, it is about 210km while Pats is about 130km.

Pattaya is for people who love life...all manner of outdoor sports from diving (none in HH) to sailing, golf, polo, etc. Great restaurants (HH very few), great nitelife if you want to partake. Basically, people come to Pattaya to live and go to Hua Hin to die :o

Hua Hin is 2 hours, 2 1/2 max; now with the new motorway Pattaya is 1 1/2 hours, 2 hours max.

There are royal residences in many places; however Hua Hin is indeed where His Majesty chooses to live.

Both places have their charm; for sailing no contest Pattaya infinitely better; for kiting, both good, for golf both good - all horses for courses.

Of course, Pattaya it is accepted by the many Thais and farang living there that there is a seedy s&*t hole part of it bang in the middle, but for many (myself included) I consider that aspect to be a bit of a freaky fun bit from time to time to head to Lucifer and make myself feel hip and cool by comparing myself to the tatooed sad sacks that are walking along with their 4 foot 10 inch tall tramp who is wearing next to nothing....and everyone (them and I) are all enjoying life!

(well all except the tramp most likely, but she is a prostitute, and everyone knows that hos have no souls and will go straight to the bowels of hel_l)

BEWARE...lots of uninformed and/or biased commentary below! About as useful as stepping in a soi-dog pie!

The only true comment.

Translation: Boring, old guys pushing around strollers, snooty, consume more lao khow than Black

Pattaya is largely a falang ghetto geared to extreme forms of sanuk and the extraction of money from drunks.

Biased and uninformed...many high-net worth ferengs and Thais call Pattaya home.

Pattaya is chaotic and HH is much more agreeable on a daily basis. Pattaya has plenty of louts, much rarer in HH.

If your idea of fun is riding a mangy half-starved flee-bitten horse up and down the beach everyday is your idea of fun.

HH is a gateway to the south and the islands with beaches extending for many miles down the gulf coast.

Same on opposite side of Gulf for Pattaya. Ever heard of Ko Samet, Ko Chang and Ko Kong (Cambodia)!

I think you just said Pattaya is as follows:

club.gif

And I agree.

club.gif

Just tired of all the uninformed Pattaya bashing :D

It's not for everyone but it's also not just sex-drugs-and rock and roll either. There is lots of stuff to enjoy about Pattaya (and HH for that matter) that doesn't involve horizontal folk dancing lessons :o

club.gif

Just tired of all the uninformed Pattaya bashing :D

It's not for everyone but it's also not just sex-drugs-and rock and roll either. There is lots of stuff to enjoy about Pattaya (and HH for that matter) that doesn't involve horizontal folk dancing lessons :o

Edited by johnnyk

The only true comment.

I know both places very well, like both for different reasons and choose to live in HH.

Pattaya as we know it would not exist if not for falangs.

HH has been around for much longer and is not based on the sex industry.

Yes, I know the Princess has a home in Jomtien, not too visible and most falangs wouldn't be aware of this.

I have been to Samet and KohChang. HH side is far better, more intreresting towns and easier access.

I didn't say no Thais or well-off falangs lived in Pattaya. I said it was largely a falang ghetto.

Hi-so Thais prefer HH, its a Thai town. Mention Pattaya and see their facial expresion.

Well, Chaimai, I am a single male with TGF and really looking to kick back and relax after working over twenty years.

I am not retired but trying to take couple of years off before starting again.

I am not looking to party anymore and from what I hear Pattaya is very active party town.

Fact that Pattaya is close to Bangkok is plus but I want peace and quite. Beautiful beaches and breathtaking sunset is must.

Carefull with taking a couple of years off and then going back. I took a couple of years off in 1984 (on my 50th birthday) and never did make it back to work. Found out it is way to much fun being retired.

Let me confuse the issue a little more, my wife and I live in Cha Am about 15-20 minutes north of HH

Since you not into the party scene it might suit you.

It is quieter than HH

No night life

IMHO better beaches than HH

Less expensive than HH

Closer to BKK

Not as close to mall shopping

Great fresh food market

Not yet discovered by farangs much

A nice place to live.

But suggest you come to LOS rent for 6-12 months and look around. I think it is a nice place to live. :o

Spent 5 nights in Ch-Am in February and 1 night in Hua-Hin, my opinion,

Beach far superior in Ch-Am

Less tourists in Cha-Am

Better food shopping in HH (Cha-Am doesn't have a big supermarket)

Amazing seafood in Cha-Am (So says the wife)

Cha-Am smaller and better layed out

Far less choice of farang food in Cha-Am (I don't like Thai food).

Great infos, everyone.

Thank you.

I arrived in Bangkok day before yesterday and still suffering from jet lag.

I am considering living in Bangkok for now since I have to get back to making a living after awhile.

But I'll keep all the suggestions in mind when I visit Pattaya and HH.

And maybe someday soon, I will be able to buy second home by the beach. :o

Well, Chaimai, I am a single male with TGF and really looking to kick back and relax after working over twenty years.

I am not retired but trying to take couple of years off before starting again.

I am not looking to party anymore and from what I hear Pattaya is very active party town.

Fact that Pattaya is close to Bangkok is plus but I want peace and quite. Beautiful beaches and breathtaking sunset is must.

Carefull with taking a couple of years off and then going back. I took a couple of years off in 1984 (on my 50th birthday) and never did make it back to work. Found out it is way to much fun being retired.

Let me confuse the issue a little more, my wife and I live in Cha Am about 15-20 minutes north of HH

Since you not into the party scene it might suit you.

It is quieter than HH

No night life

IMHO better beaches than HH

Less expensive than HH

Closer to BKK

Not as close to mall shopping

Great fresh food market

Not yet discovered by farangs much

A nice place to live.

But suggest you come to LOS rent for 6-12 months and look around. I think it is a nice place to live. :o

Spent 5 nights in Ch-Am in February and 1 night in Hua-Hin, my opinion,

Beach far superior in Ch-Am

Less tourists in Cha-Am

Better food shopping in HH (Cha-Am doesn't have a big supermarket)

Amazing seafood in Cha-Am (So says the wife)

Cha-Am smaller and better layed out

Far less choice of farang food in Cha-Am (I don't like Thai food).

One thing nobody mentioned, Cha Am has 6km bicycle track along the beach.

As legendary Thai scare of sun goes, the beach umbrellas are almost watertight.

Hope they have lights to switch on if you want to read, like airplanes. :D

post-7277-1220058126_thumb.jpg

I know both places very well, like both for different reasons and choose to live in HH.

So if that is the case, why not just give an objective views of both places instead of slamming Pattaya as only a sex-tourist destination?

Pattaya as we know it would not exist if not for falangs.

What is the relevance of this statement? A small Thai fishing village has been transformed by the efforts of both Thai and foreign entrepreneurs and investors into a large and varied holiday and retirement destination. Is there anything wrong with that?

HH has been around for much longer and is not based on the sex industry.

Yes, HH has some history as a holiday resort by Bangkok's elite. If pretending you are a hi-so Bangkok Chinese Thai elite is important to you, then I guess this is important. Do you have something against sex? You wouldn't be here if mummy and daddy hadn't had a little of it!

Yes, I know the Princess has a home in Jomtien, not too visible and most falangs wouldn't be aware of this.

You make a big deal about HH having a royal presense and that therefore therefore Thai's wouldn't allow "sleezy" entertainment to florish. There is plenty of sex-for-sale in HH, including beer bars and soapy massages. Bangkok is full of royal palaces and has a large "entertainment" industry.

I have been to Samet and KohChang. HH side is far better, more intreresting towns and easier access.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...to each his own.

I didn't say no Thais or well-off falangs lived in Pattaya. I said it was largely a falang ghetto.

Seems like you are splitting hairs here...and backtracking too :D

Hi-so Thais prefer HH, its a Thai town. Mention Pattaya and see their facial expresion.

I guess this goes back to your need to pretend to be Hi-So...I hope that is going well for you :o

• 2 months later...

Well I did say I would report back on my thoughts on Hua Hin so here goes.

The Trains:

The train ride down from Bangkok proved to be a great disappointment. Yes it departed on time but had no carpets, just the floor of the carriage, the double glazing had failed and as such condensation had crept into the gap making it almost impossible to see out and the air con was so fierce that I was cold; some Thais were wrapped up in blankets and dressed in arctic warfare equipment.

There are ALOT more stops than on the time table I posted, which caused some anxiety in trying to work out what was going on especially as the train arrived about an hour late. None the less the only announcement made by the staff was for Hua Hin, I guess for the tourists (like me) on the train.

The journey back was far more pleasant. Although the train was ‘tired’ it was fine. Again it left on time according to the timetable but arrived about 30 minutes late.

The Station:

Very pretty, very historical. I especially liked the cow and chickens grazing near the track. Don’t worry the train never goes fast enough on the single track to cause a problem!

You are greeted by the local mafia. There are no taxies or Tuk Tuks around. BUT there are a few Baht busses. On enquiring how much to take us to the Sofitel (which I could actually see just down the road) I was looked up and down sized up and told 150 baht. Just to irritate the guy I said 100 baht, and he walked away.

I can STRONGLY recommend the walk from the station to the Hotel it is just a few minutes. You get to see one of the two main roads of Hua Hin. Make a note of the chemist near the end; it is great for almost all you need (including an emergency travel shaver when my main shaver failed) and mosquito repellent. There is a natural essential oil version that does not gas you when you use it and you will need it (citronella?)!

The Town:

Sleepy, with two main roads.

Fun sights:

Khao Takiap temple complete with moneys keen on reproducing. And a night market that is actually great! There was very little hassle.

The Beach:

Choose the area to swim with great care, they are filled with sharp rocks. Outside of the Hilton is best. The beaches are unfortunately quite polluted there was lots of rubbish washed up.

Personal:

It was perfect for me just to get away from things, I did not stray much off of the resort (maybe next time) so cannot really comment on the local restaurants etc.

Sofitel:

Fab!

Sumary:

Hau Hin/Pattaya – They are just utterly different places, though oddly the beaches are cleaner in Pattaya.