Bug Lights

MikeandDow

• 2 weeks later...

I know the kind of lamps and bulbs you are talking about, although have never seen how effective / ineffective they can be.

My best guess would be the larger hardware chain-stores

HomeMart http://www.cementhaihomemart.com

HomePro http://www.homepro.co.th/en/index.asp

Global House http://www.globalhouse.co.th/en/

Home Mart seem to be dotted around most provincial capitals. HomePro nearest you would be Phitsanlok, Global House have location mainly in Issan but do have a store in Chiang Mai

Many online stores stock such items (e.g. http://www.doityourself.com/invt/8973752) so maybe this would be the better way if home delivery is an option.

Osram Sylvania appears to be a common brandname and the logo appears prominently on the above websites.

Until you can install the lamp, just keep that bug splatter handy, or those "tennis racket" style swatters with the in-built bug taser can be fun!

I know the kind of lamps and bulbs you are talking about, although have never seen how effective / ineffective they can be.

Until you can install the lamp, just keep that bug splatter handy, or those "tennis racket" style swatters with the in-built bug taser can be fun!

I think I wrote about this once before. For a long time, I wanted to get a "bug zapper" light to hang outside the house. We're in the central west area of Phetchabun province. My partner's family wasn't sure what I was talking about so we went up to P'lok to look for one in the hardware store.

Once I described it to the store clerks (yoong-fai-fa), they knew exactly what I meant and took me over to show off their products. My partner's brother tried to tell me not to get one, that I wouldn't need it. But the skeeters eat me alive at the house so I wanted to try it.

After one night, I see why he suggested to not buy it. The light worked great for the yoong but attracted what looked like a small north american mayfly by the hundreds. By the next morning, the light was literally covered in these things, some zapped but most just walking around on it. That was the first and only time that I used it.

I think the better solution is to use the hand wands if needed, but also use smoke and other scent based repellents. These haven't solved the problem 100% but they do help. Another thing is to put up some bird houses and hopefully attract some bug-eating birds. I know in areas of the states, if one can attract a couple breeding pairs of martins or swallows, that the birds can really knock down the fly and mosquito population.

I’m very impressed by an electronic mossie trap I bought from macro 4 months ago for about B1,300. It’s called MOSQ Eraser and works by attracting mosquitoes to a black light then sucking them into a screened trap with a fan.

I’ve tried a variety of electronic mossie traps before and this one is the only one I’ve found that really works.

In issan I’ve found those small shops that sell nets and rope etc for farmers usually carry the yellow bug lights as well as the big UV lights used to attract meng da and other bugs.

Yepp that's the company. The one i bought looks the same without the legs. Mine is a model ME205.

I've tried other mossie traps including the ones where you mix baking soda with vinegar but they never worked.

They look interesting, and pricewise, worth a try. It looks like the unit can stand with or without the legs, or can be hung up. Looks like the legs can be detached. I'm guessing they can be used indoors or outdoors (protected from the weather of course). Just curious, but how many of these units do you have at your place?

We have a small place out in the boonies in the province of Saraburi that we originally built as a 4-plex, although we'll eventually convert into just two units. If the MOSQ Eraser works out well, we'd probably install them in each unit. Where our place is located, mozzies are as thick as fog.

I agree a lot of mozzie solutions seem pretty limited in effectiveness. Your suggestion has impressed both myself and my wife. Thanks for posting about it. :o

- AmeriThai

I’ve bought 2 of these mossie traps and intend to buy another one for our house in the village. Both traps are used inside but I’m not sure how effective they would be outside if a breeze is blowing.

The first one easily covers an open spaced apartment about the size of a double story shophouse. It’s been in operation nonstop for 4 months now without a problem. On the first night of operation it trapped over 30 mosquitoes in this sealed air conditioned apartment.

Since then, if I’ve left a door or window open around dusk, any mosquitoes that snuck in will be trapped within 10 or so minutes. It’s great for catching mosquitoes and traps the occasional moth too.

The second trap is used in a large air conditioned bedroom. If there are mosquitoes in the room we turn the trap on for 30 minutes prior to going to bed and any mossies are well and truly trapped during that time.

I can see that indoor use is the primary advantage since it's contained. Our place is a distance from the main expressway and rice fields where the stronger breezes blow. There are quite a few trees in our area. Although we do get breezes, most of the time they're barely noticable. And there are several ponds nearby and a narrow klong that barely moves. Perfect yoong breeding spots. There are times when we'd like to sit outdoors in the evening, but I'm not too keen on being eaten alive. I've seen the more common UV bug zappers outdoors snap away like fireworks, but they don't really seem to help much. We may just screen off an area and put a zapper in there. Thanks for the helpful info. :o

Edited by AmeriThai

The idea with the UV mozzie zappers is ,to buy it and give it as a gift to your next door neighbour (specially if you dont get on well).

The UV jobs are better attractors than killers, so the neighbor hangs it up and all the mozzies go to his place.

Using one of the big powerful patio ones available in Oz ,is like living next to a battery of machine guns.

• 5 months later...
I can see that indoor use is the primary advantage since it's contained. etc. etc. ........ Thanks for the helpful info. :o

Hi AmeriThai

did you buy the Mosq Eraser?

I need at least 3 killers here at the Mossie Farm.

Having just purchased a pair of young breeding parrots, the burning coils would kill the birds in minutes.

Has any one else bought the Mosq Eraser?

Thanks to Farma for the heads-up.:D

I looks for the Light in Uttaradit and Si Nakhon too, but i dont found. Only White and violet Light

SiamPower

Get some yellow paper and place over the globe or fluro until you can get the real thing. Yellow repels bugs and ultra/violet light attracts bugs.

I looks for the Light in Uttaradit and Si Nakhon too, but i dont found. Only White and violet Light

SiamPower

Get some yellow paper and place over the globe or fluro until you can get the real thing. Yellow repels bugs and ultra/violet light attracts bugs.

Sounds too risky to me. You'd need to be absolutely sure the paper doesn't touch the lightbulb. The paper should be a good distance from the bulb. Otherwise it could heat up enough to set the paper on fire, and possibly your house as well.

I'm very impressed by an electronic mossie trap I bought from macro 4 months ago for about B1,300. It's called MOSQ Eraser and works by attracting mosquitoes to a black light then sucking them into a screened trap with a fan.

I've tried a variety of electronic mossie traps before and this one is the only one I've found that really works.

In issan I've found those small shops that sell nets and rope etc for farmers usually carry the yellow bug lights as well as the big UV lights used to attract meng da and other bugs.

Farma

Thanks for the heads-up. :o

Bad news, the model you bought has been "ïmproved"and is now 1900 to 2000bt

It's model Me208

Some stores may still have the 1300-1500bt model, try The Mall, Makro or Robinsons

I bought two (new models) at a high cost, including the taxi fare, my bill came to 4600 baht :D

Makro @ Bangbon don't stock them yet, I had to go to the vendor.

The mossie coils have given me the worst chest infection I've ever had, so, if the Mosq Eraser does the job it will be a good investment.

I'll post a mossie count in the next 48 hours. :D

• 4 months later...

4 months on with the Mosq-eraser.....

Very effective, I also run the large bug light from Tesco at 600bt, that too is very good.

No zapping noise!

My house & carport are now virtually free of mossies. :)

The Mosq might not be good in the bedroom because of the fan noise.

Tip! Leave both on 24/7, you'll get longer bulb life that way.

• 3 weeks later...

Very effective, I also run the large bug light from Tesco at 600bt, that too is very good.

No zapping noise!

My house & carport are now virtually free of mossies. :D

:) GungaDin, thanks for the success report about the Mosq Eraser! Too many mossies to count, eh?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried Aerogard Odourless?

I bought a dozen cans over from Australia.

I don't know if you can get it in Thailand.

It really is odourless after spraying on any exposed skin. It lasts for several hours.

As long as I don't miss any exposed skin I can enjoy an evening outdoors without a bite.

One tip is not to inhale while your spraying it on - it irritates the lungs like most sprays.

The older version of Aerogard is still marketed as "tropical strength" but the smell is unpleasant.

I spray it on me feet and legs before I go shopping, mainly to ward of fleas that you find in

many shops that have dogs hanging around under the counter. If I forget the Aerogard I find

I get at least one bite that starts to itch like crazy.

Anyway didjahavagoodweekend?

Yes! I rembered the aerogard!

• 3 weeks later...

No zapping noise!

My house & carport are now virtually free of mossies. :D

:) GungaDin, thanks for the success report about the Mosq Eraser! Too many mossies to count, eh?

Yes M8, I put a plate out for the sparrows and the tiny birds with the loud song, they love it, no poison, just powdered bugs.

My subscriptions are not working....... :D otherwise I'd have answered sooner!