Teaching At Universities

kat

I know you need at least a Master's degree to teach at the University level here in Thailand. Does anyone on this forum have experience teaching at Universities here and how you go about making contact, salary, etc. I never see university teaching postions advertised, and I'm not strictly talking about just teaching English.

Thanks for any feedback you may have.

ok, I need to add that I've read all of the great advice given by "Steven" and Ajarn on the other threads on pay and when to apply, and office politics. Incredibly helpful. I'm sorry if I'm repeating a thread.

But would anyone be able to add their opinions on the best way to approach a uni for a job (contacts or cold?), and any advice on some of the better ones to work for in BKK (not necessarily the better schools but the best ones for work).

Thanks.

Kat, what are you able, or qualified, to teach? You generally don't have to have a Masters' degree to teach English on the normal English programmes taught to undergraduates here. But if you want to get into a Linguistics or 'special' English programme, or you want to teach something other than English in English (Business subjects, Hotel Management, Politics or whatever), then, yes, you'll need at least a Masters' degree in a related subject. The salaries are (not surprisingly) higher for the latter than the former. The basic salary for farang language ajarns (not just English, but French, German, etc) at government universities (including what are considered the best universities in Thailand: Chulalongkorn, Thammasat, Kasetsart, Mahidol, etc) is fixed at 26,000 baht a month throughout the country, but there are ways of supplementing this with extra programmes and outside work and the teaching hours are relatively low at 10-12 per week. Private universites, like Bangkok U, ABAC (Assumption), Siam, UTCC, etc pay you more but tend to have more teaching hours and generally expect you to be on campus a lot longer.

Often the best way to get a university teaching job is to turn up at the campus with CV/resume in hand and ask about vacancies. But remember that government universities have a long break between (roughly) 1 March and 1 June: the best time to look for jobs there is April/May or October each year for the following semester. Private universities have different start/finish dates. Look at univ. websites, some universities have quite a lot of pages and info in English these days.

I agree with Paully...

The reason why a Master's (in any field) is often required is because you'll likely be teaching grad students, too. The Master's at this level of teaching is a government requirement. I've had contracts in three universities and each one had a few farangs with only a BA/BS, but they were limited to teaching only undergrads- and mostly first year students at that. The teachers with higher degrees had, generally, more choices in their classes and higher-level students, as well as more chances of getting extra teaching hours or other assignments at a considerably higher pay level. The higher degree puts you in a higher social status in the academic world, too.

Mahidol has an International Program out on Buddhamonthon sai 4, just past Taling Chan. They paid a LOT more for qualified farangs, even as part time. Thammasat Rangsit also pays PT'ers quite well. In fact, part-time teaching at some universities can be better than the contract positions in terms of money, freedom- and escaping office politics. Some will still offer WP's and a one year visa to part-timers, too.

The basic salary for farang language ajarns (not just English, but French, German, etc) at government universities (including what are considered the best universities in Thailand: Chulalongkorn, Thammasat, Kasetsart, Mahidol, etc) is fixed at 26,000 baht a month throughout the country, but there are ways of supplementing this with extra programmes and outside work and the teaching hours are relatively low at 10-12 per week.  Private universites, like Bangkok U, ABAC (Assumption), Siam, UTCC, etc pay you more but tend to have more teaching hours and generally expect you to be on campus a lot longer.

I once applied at ABAC and they were offering less than the government rate. That was about 5 years ago.

I think calling in with your resume is a good way to go. You might get lucky and get to talk to the right person but even if you don't you should be able to leave your documents at the right office. Some university websites have online application forms e.g. Bangkok University. Even if you don't fit the bill for the available positions they might pass your details on to other departments.

Hey, Kat!

Universities are tricky- they offer low pay, but demand high quals! Not advisable for beginners in Thailand or those who actually need money- though often they'll be desperate for workers as a result of the low wages. A lot of workers there are older/retired farang who have the quals from their home countries but don't need so much money because they have pensions... just gives them a pension, room, and a bit of beer money on the side. There are a lot of extra classes and things, but takes awhile to build those up, I think... One dependable benefit is that they are almost always legit. on the paperwork.

If you have anything like a science/economics/history type major in your background, you might find interesting work in one of the EP programs for more money (though you'll be working more and teaching younger students).

As far as your actual question- GOING to the unis (or any school) is usually best, though expensive, time-consuming, and it gives no guarantees. You get a chance to make a good first impression, and often that's good enough to overcome any slight lack in academic qualifications, etc. Once you're in, you're in.

"Steven"

Thanks so much for the excellent and detailed advice. You guys rock! I'll be visiting this section a lot more often.

In terms of my qualifications: master's degree in urban planning and development from a top university, and an undergraduate degree in English.

I think Mahidol may be the way to go for me. Thanks so much for your help.

Good luck, Kat! Let us know how it turns out - though be warned that recently on Ajarn (before the 2nd-to-last hacking) there were some grumbles about Mahidon by some disgruntled types who were leaving. Could've been their own fault- but from what I saw, I'd recommend making SURE they do the paperwork right, or else refuse to accept the job [one of the complaints was that someone there who wasn't on the right visa had to spend a little time in the klink!] And if you're not on a non-immigrant "B" visa just now, make sure you have enough extra cash for a quick trip to ... well, normally I'd say Laos, but since they're not letting tourists in during the Asean summit just now, better make it Penang! Want more detail, pm or call me!

"Steven"

One place you may wish to try, Kat, given your qualifications, is King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi (KMUTT). I remember a while ago seeing an advertisement for a teaching position (English) there in the School of Architecture which seemed to be quite interesting: technical-type English, not just the usual English I, English II stuff and the pay seemed to be a little higher than the norm. They have some quite good people teaching there including Richard Watson Todd, who is pretty well known in the TEFL field. Mahidol recruits via the newspapers from time to time, I saw an advert four or five months ago: the real money is made at the Salaya (International) campus out towards Nakhom Pathom: it's worth looking into some part-time work there if you can stand the travelling.

I know several teachers currently working at Assumption Ramkhamhaeng. All of them are on a pretty good deal but only because they've been there a few years and have managed to make the system work for them.

There was a time when the ABAC Ram gig was one of the best in town (six or seven years ago) but now the starting package for a teacher positively sucks. I think the basic rate is something around 300 baht an hour. It's really the 400-500 overtime rate that tops up your salary to a nice 40-50K a month (not sure even that's quite so 'nice' any more) However (and don't quote me on this) I hear a few teachers are complaining about a lack of overtime or rather how it's dished out to new recruits.

No, working at ABAC is certainly not the gig it once was.

I applied at ABAC some time back; was offered the job with the proviso that since I only had a bachelor's I'd have to do their master's course concurrently. However, they were offering me only 17K a month to start- lower than even most of the poorest high schools!- ok, with a free room thrown in- and I was going to have to pay 4K of that each month for my tuition! Grand total for the first 2-3 years- THIRTEEN THOU a MONTH! To their credit, they do handle all the visa stuff fairly rapidly.

"Steven"

ok, I need to add that I've read all of the great advice given by "Steven" and Ajarn on the other threads on pay and when to apply, and office politics.  Incredibly helpful.  I'm sorry if I'm repeating a thread.

But would anyone be able to add their opinions on the best way to approach a uni for a job (contacts or cold?), and any advice on some of the better ones to work for in BKK (not necessarily the better schools but the best ones for work).

Thanks.

You could try sending you're resume & photo via email or online application. I've been doing this since I haven't arrived in country and have gotten better than expected responses. My background is similar to yours - though I never actually got a Masters Degree(BS EE and three years of grad school but dropped out without masters or PhD)

Here's a list of unis -

MUA list of uni's

just a thought...

Good Luck.

Better not get my job, you rascal :o

P.S.: Thanks for the great advice by the veterans here, its really helped me immeasurably. For instance, the fact that some of the part-time programs give WPs is important to know, since I may have connections that will help me with some of them. Though I suppose the WP will strictly only be good for that particular job (what if you get more than 1 PT position? Do you need a WP for each and every PT teaching job to be legal?)

You can 'supposedly' add other jobs and/or locations to your work permit (with the employers help obviously) although this is another of those 'easier said than done' things that happen in Thailand so often. I've 'heard and read' about people that have done it, not seen it with my own eyes yet.

Mahidol recruits via the newspapers from time to time, I saw an advert four or five months ago: the real money is made at the Salaya (International) campus out towards Nakhom Pathom: it's worth looking into some part-time work there if you can stand the travelling.

Yes, this is the campus I earlier referred to out buddhamonthon sai 4... Only about 10 minutes drive time from PhraPinklao bridge.. In 1999, I was offered 15 hours per week @ 1200 baht per hour...

You can 'supposedly' add other jobs and/or locations to your work permit (with the employers help obviously) although this is another of those 'easier said than done' things that happen in Thailand so often. I've 'heard and read' about people that have done it, not seen it with my own eyes yet.

Ken, some time ago, I was able to add additional 'places of work' (addresses) with the same employer, but I don't know about adding other employers... Seems like it would be problematic regarding regarding the various job contract dates vs. the WP expiration date... Sure would be nice if they could simply vet your qualifications and then issue you with some kind of open Work Permit to Teach

Saw this later...

Two jobs. Two books?

If I have two jobs do I need to have two work permits?

Monday, June 14, 2004 Josh Tristan, Phuket.

“No. Foreigners working in Thailand need only one work permit book whether they have one, two or more jobs.

Take your book – with all necessary documentation and the 150-baht fee – to the Phuket Provincial Employment Office (PPEO). It should take about seven days for the permit to be amended to include the description of the new job.

For more information, contact the PPEO at Tel: 076-219661 or 076-219660. ”

Monday, June 14, 2004 Kitti Nuisri, Chief of the Foreign Labor Division, PPEO.

• 7 months later...

Mahidol University is currently looking for English Instructors in their ICT (Information and Communications Technology) Program. I think this an "International" program so all subjects are taught in English.

Is anyone teaching there currently, or do you know someone who is teaching there? I am curious about the working conditions and environment.

Contact hours are 15 ~ 20 per week; work hours 09:00 - 17:00 Mon-Fri with daily transport provided between the Rama 6 campus and the work location at the Salaya campus.

... at government universities (including what are considered the best universities in Thailand: Chulalongkorn, Thammasat, Kasetsart, Mahidol, etc) is fixed at 26,000 baht a month throughout the country,

I was offered a salary of about 40K basic working for one of the above institutions. But I agree the standard rate of pay as advertised on Ajarn dot com is usually about 26K. If money is important, I think you'll do better working for a school and supplementing with some part-time work.

I know you need at least a Master's degree to teach at the University level here in Thailand. Does anyone on this forum have experience teaching at Universities here and how you go about making contact, salary, etc. I never see university teaching postions advertised, and I'm not strictly talking about just teaching English.

Thanks for any feedback you may have.

I have worked in 4 universities, and also KMITNB before it was a uni.

The best thing about working in a uni is the extra hours, the basic is often low.

I got the jobs through knowing other teachers, I don't have a masters.

At Thammasat, they were offering 1600 an hour for anything over 12 hours, this was a few years ago.

Also you can get many privates. This is the way that I saw many Thai lecturers get a decent wage. If you work for a good uni, which I did, there was little worry about working elsewhere without a permit, I actually worked at 2 unis without one.

There are many benefits working at a good uni, especially as there will be someone there "high enough up" to save you in any circumstances involving dept of labour.

^ Good points there, Neeranam. University jobs are not just about the low basic salary: some good outside work is often available, although not always at 1,600 baht an hour. The problem is that there is no career development for the farang teacher, but this is also true of most (nearly all?) teaching posts in Thailand.

I just had a few quick questions that I thought might fit into this forum (I didn't see the need to start a whole new forum).

Anyway, teaching at a Uni level what could a person actually teach if they have an english masters?

Do they have english classes going to that high of a level?

What if you have a history masters? Are there jobs for those people?

I am working on double majoring in english and history, but I thought I might only get one masters before I left for Thailand. My wife (Thai) said I should at least have a masters if I wanna make any money. Should I get two?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, I am just getting started on learning about teaching in Thailand. :o