Dvd Ripping

Flummoxed

I want to rip a couple of my DVD's and keep them as a single playable file on my hard drive. Any software recommedations, be they freeware, shareware or premium.

I might keep them uncompressed so that I could do a back up to disc later... or I might compress them. Can someone teach me about that or point me to a resource to teach myself.

Hi,

I think commercial DVDs are encrypted to prevent you making copies to DVD media. DVD Shrink gets around the encryption, as well as shrinking movies that are >4.7 GB so they can fit on a single layer DVD disk. But you can try straight copying to your hard disk, and see if it works.

Check this site out

doom9.org If you head for 'The Basics" section soon enough you will be the master.

it has everything you need to know

To rip too your harddrive Dvd decrypter or DVD Shrink

To rip to a DVD Dvd shrink decrypts and compresses , Dvd decypter has a function that allows you to burn without too much f*****g about

I have also tried two pairs of mole grips (that's vice grips to americans) but found the disc simply shatters without making a clean rip. You can try scoring a deep rut along the line that you would like to rip and then placing in a vice and applying steadily increasing pressure at the top. It will brake along that line but you do not get that satisfying velcro rip sound which I suspect is your whole intention.

I have also tried two pairs of mole grips (that's vice grips to americans) but found the disc simply shatters without making a clean rip. You can try scoring a deep rut along the line that you would like to rip and then placing in a vice and applying steadily increasing pressure at the top. It will brake along that line but you do not get that satisfying velcro rip sound which I suspect is your whole intention.

The mole grip idea can be a bit dangerous if the disc shatters and gets in your eye!

The BEST alternative and the easiest is what has already been said DVD SHRINK