Buying / Renting Farming Equipments

Pierrot

Reading this forum, I believe we are a numbers of members in the same situation, having recently purchased a big garden / small farm (10 to 50 rais) and now facing the hard reality of taking care of it and buying the tools for the job

The choices are usually buying, renting or hiring someone to do the job. Reading a recent thread, am I going to buy a tractor (1 Mil, quite a large investment), or hire someone (around 4k / day, not that cheap either) or maybe go for an alternative solution, instead of a very expensive multi purpose machine, buying a few, cheaper, more specialized tools.

For the people facing the same problems but with more experience, what tools / machine did you buy, and with the experience, was it a good choice? And how expensive is it (cost of buying + cost of running the equipments)?

When I first started farming in the US, I farmed the equivalent of 100 rai with a two wheel drive 45 HP tractor. I worked a full time job besides farming. I mention this because you don't need a big 1,000,000 baht tractor for a small farm.

Here we have two small 10 rai farms. I bought a new Yanmar tractor with a disc plow, dozer blade and a rotary tiller for about 500,000 baht. My small 30 HP four wheel drive tractor is very versatile and is more than enough tractor for these small hobby farms. The tractor burns about 2 liters of diesel an hour when working hard. If I had not wanted a toy to play with, an iron buffalo would easily do the job. In fact my wife is in the process of buying a new Kubota iron buffalo mostly for pumping water and the final leveling flooded rice paddy.

Thanks Gary for the information.

Do you have ever try what some call "hand tractor" (picture below?). Our land is subdivided in small patches and I'm afraid that a full size tractor in inexperienced hands could be like the proverbial elephant in the china store.

post-54001-1219201881_thumb.jpg

post-54001-1219201892_thumb.jpg

I don't know who makes the tractor shown in your photos. I can tell you that every small town has Kubota dealers. A new 10 HP tractor with some implements will cost about 70,000 baht. My wife is a bargain hunter and she is determined to get a better price. It appears to me that the prices between big and small dealers is pretty much fixed and will seldom vary by more than a thousand baht. I have spent more than a thousand baht on fuel looking for her bargain.

I just had a look at the Kubota website (http://www.siamkubota.co.th/en/catalog.aspx), difficult to find something they don't have.

On the road from Bangkok to Korat, any dealer you may recommend with a large range on display (some have only one or two models to show), honnest (don't try to push for a more expensive machine that you really need) and preferably with a sales guy who can speak english ?

Now the problem is to select the right product ! And what basic implements should I include ?

I don't know who makes the tractor shown in your photos. I can tell you that every small town has Kubota dealers. A new 10 HP tractor with some implements will cost about 70,000 baht. My wife is a bargain hunter and she is determined to get a better price. It appears to me that the prices between big and small dealers is pretty much fixed and will seldom vary by more than a thousand baht. I have spent more than a thousand baht on fuel looking for her bargain.

Are you stating that Kubota tak-taks are only 70,000 baht? I was considering getting a new one for the father in law since his looks like it dates back to a time before Reganomics took over......

Gary makes some excellant points..

This year I framed 50 rai of paddy with a small Kubota 1200 2w/d which is 25 horsepower...bought it third hand cost me 55,000 baht and 20,000 in repairs..We also have an old massey Fergusan about 50 horse power for the dry work,these cost about 75,000..All in we are farming around 180 rai...

That said you can buy a goods import from Japan second hand for between 80.000 and 250,000..,cost of these come in from Japan having been checked already and then the Thai guys just sells them on..

4 wheel drives 45 horse power Kubota around the 200,000 mark...

Are you stating that Kubota tak-taks are only 70,000 baht? I was considering getting a new one for the father in law since his looks like it dates back to a time before Reganomics took over......

You can buy a new 10 HP Kubota diesel, tractor with a plow and spiked harrow for less than 70,000 baht. Kubota says the new generation diesel is 25 percent more efficient on fuel but the local farmers say different. Apparently the older style is painted red and the newest style is painted orange. Yanmar also makes an almost identical engine but I think they are made in Japan and are a little more expensive so they are not popular. Yanmar claims better fuel economy and a wider torque range. Who knows? All I know is that nearly every farmer in this area has a red engine Kubota,

When I bought our "buffalo" 2 years ago ,kubota used three colours, orange = 8 hp

red = 9 hp (90 RT) blue = 10 hp (100 RT) electric start is a option on the 10 hp.

With standard 3 disc plough and scarifier plus a centrifigal 2" pump mounted on the front was all up 67,000 bht.

Funny enough compared to everything else they have not gone up much since then.

There are two main chassis types available ,one is the 2 forward speed and another is 3 speed. I chose the 2 speed as it looks much more solid,and faster road speed was of no consequence to me.

In Cambodia you can buy hub extensions which make them about 2 foot wider,and suits some crop rowings better, for final paddy harrowing some Cambodians and Vietnamese fit a mini surf board on a chain to ride on, much like a sled. They really get moving in top gear around the paddies ,more than the equal of a 4wd tractor in that application.

Sorry guys, I'm a bit confused now.

What exactly is an "iron buffalo"? Is it what Kubota in its web site called "walk behind tractor"?

And Gary when you're talking about the 10 HP Kubota, it's also this model ?

Edited by Pierrot

Sorry guys, I'm a bit confused now.

What exactly is an "iron buffalo"? Is it what Kubota in its web site called "walk behind tractor"?

And Gary when you're talking about the 10 HP Kubota, it's also this model ?

The two wheel walk behind tractors are called iron buffaloes or simply Kubotas. They come with a range of engine sizes from about 8 HP up to 14 HP. They look very similar to your pictures. My brother in law has an 8 HP but wishes he would have gotten a 10 HP. Most come standard with steel wheels but rubber tires are an option that most farmers buy because the Kubotas are also commonly used on the roads to pull trailers. Kubota also makes many different four wheel tractors, some of which are quite quite large.

Edited by Gary A

Much more clear now, thank you very much.

But now, I'm sure that beside the tractor, there is many other tools / machine I need to have in my warehouse.

Actually, my question should have been : "For an owner of 10-50 rais land, what basic tools should you have in you warehouse ? How much do they cost ? What common mistake should you avoid"

I would say a basic electric generator, a small water pomp, a weed cutter, ... What else ?

Then to carry all that stuff around, a quad bike as suggested in an other thread ?

Edited by Pierrot

Could someone post a link to [reliable] Japanese 2nd hand tractor importers. I am in the market for a small to medium yanmar or kubota [16-25hp], ideally with mower deck, roto tiller and would really cream if it had a front end loader.

How much discount below original price do they go for landed in LOS??

and can you order in advance from fotos like you can order the japaneese import motorcycles??

What exactly is the process to shop and purchase. ??

I'm the Chiang Mai area and wondering if there are any outlets here??

Most Thai farmers with 10-15 rai do most things using their buffalo as the motive power.

Implements are usually added to your arsenal as need arises and this is dependant on what crops you are growing.

Of course whether or not you need a gen set will depend on whether the land is adjacent to your house or remote. The type of pump depends on what your water source is,for instance if you have access to a creek then a long-tail pump powered by the buffalo is as about as cheap and efficient as you can get.

It comes down to horses for courses when deciding what equipment to purchase.

A set of pneumatic tyres and wheels plus a trailer for your buffalo alleviates the need for a quaddy.

Edited by ozzydom

Could someone post a link to [reliable] Japanese 2nd hand tractor importers. I am in the market for a small to medium yanmar or kubota [16-25hp], ideally with mower deck, roto tiller and would really cream if it had a front end loader.

How much discount below original price do they go for landed in LOS??

and can you order in advance from fotos like you can order the japaneese import motorcycles??

What exactly is the process to shop and purchase. ??

I'm the Chiang Mai area and wondering if there are any outlets here??

Jai deeguy,

I will look forthe link I have to a company called oho trading in Japan..Seem like a good outfitI am currently looking into the import side of things myself..

From what I can gather currently,there is money to be made,but you need to buy container load of about 20 units..I think there is between 30,000 to 60,000 baht per unit in profit by my calculations,however I have not had time to finish the import duty side of things and the no doubt palm greasing to get them through quick..

That said then you will need to sit on them for some time until sold..

www.used-farm-machine.com

once you ahve sent them a mail they will send you links for prices and models..

The only way you can justify (i.e are going to make a profit) importing small/medium sized tractors and implements is:

1) to do so in container quanties.

2) sourced used/2nd hand from acutions overseas.

After being in the business myself for many years - although mostly it has being Ford tractors/tractor parts/pump/irrigation/ and forage harvester parts - I am now going to start moving towards putting more emphasize on smaller sized components - though not so much tractors (the Thai market is flooded with small/medium sized tractors).

Everything you import is best broken down into parts and imported as "used spares" - then reassembled here. Make sure you understand the Thai CIF duty values given to agriculturale parts and equipment, and make sure you understand how to fill in import docs and bills of lading correctly.

Hello Pierrot,

where you can get this machines in thailand you show on your pics. I only see in Thailand the iron buffalo's and on this machine you cannot put a rotary tiller. I had a rotary tiller in netherland and i used him very much, but till now i only see rotary tillers on 4 wheel tractors.

All this 'tractor talk' by the 'gentlemen farmers' on this forum has my mouth watering for a med/small, 2 or 4wd, yanmar or kubota......

Maizefarmer....on your buying trip, will you shop for any tractors and do you think that you can match the Jap import prices and low hours usage?? If so, then count me in...

as mentioned in my previous post, I would seriously like a small to medium yanmar or kubota [16-25hp], ideally with mower deck, roto tiller and would really cream if it had a front end loader [but not necessary].

Considerations are local parts availability, good condition, user friendly operation and priced max 150KTHB.....can do?? Pm me details if can do for that price.

Thanks

JDG

The only way you can justify (i.e are going to make a profit) importing small/medium sized tractors and implements is:

After being in the business myself for many years - although mostly it has being Ford tractors/tractor parts/pump/irrigation/ and forage harvester parts - I am now going to start moving towards putting more emphasize on smaller sized components - though not so much tractors (the Thai market is flooded with small/medium sized tractors).

Everything you import is best broken down into parts and imported as "used spares" - then reassembled here. Make sure you understand the Thai CIF duty values given to agriculturale parts and equipment, and make sure you understand how to fill in import docs and bills of lading correctly.

I find this thread very informative...Assuming you are importing a small/medium sized tractor...how far would you have to break it down to be classified as parts for import classifications? I will check out Thai CIF duties too, but always have a struggle understanding LOS

rules and regs.

Thanks

Jim

I find this thread very informative...Assuming you are importing a small/medium sized tractor...how far would you have to break it down to be classified as parts for import classifications? I will check out Thai CIF duties too, but always have a struggle understanding LOS

rules and regs.

Thanks

Jim

For all import operation, the key is a good forwarder, they know all the regulation, especially the latest, they have the contacts with the custom ...

The best way to proceed is to send them your invoice, with a picture of the goods and all details you have, it's their job to give you the import and all other duties (don't forget the VAT when applicable).

If someone knows a good forwarder, it would be appreciated if he shares the information ...

Hello Pierrot,

where you can get this machines in thailand you show on your pics. I only see in Thailand the iron buffalo's and on this machine you cannot put a rotary tiller. I had a rotary tiller in netherland and i used him very much, but till now i only see rotary tillers on 4 wheel tractors.

Sorry I just found the pictures on the net to show what I was talking about but can't find them again this morning. I don't think they are from a Thai importer, most probably an Australian or American one.

Edited by Pierrot

The type of pump depends on what your water source is,for instance if you have access to a creek then a long-tail pump powered by the buffalo is as about as cheap and efficient as you can get.

Just tried to translate with my dictionary and I got some weird answers but I guess it's what I'm looking for. Do you have pictures of a long-tail pump, it would probably be clearer for me.

The way this forum is going, we will soon have enough material to write "Hobby farming in Thailand for dummies"

We (wife does the farming) I supply seed money and advice. farm 30 rai, 12 rai fruit trees 18 rai, rice corn, garlic. peppers other veggies. She hires her family when iron buffalo needed for tilling etc. We could not make the cost work for purchase of the iron buffalo when you can hire one so cheap (even paying fuel) I thought about a small tractor 16 years ago but no way would I trust the yoyos to leave it alone (we live 150 cliks away) when we were not there, so never got my play toy.

The type of pump depends on what your water source is,for instance if you have access to a creek then a long-tail pump powered by the buffalo is as about as cheap and efficient as you can get.

Just tried to translate with my dictionary and I got some weird answers but I guess it's what I'm looking for. Do you have pictures of a long-tail pump, it would probably be clearer for me.

The way this forum is going, we will soon have enough material to write "Hobby farming in Thailand for dummies"

Pierrot - atteched below is a pic of your pump.

post-32552-1219319480_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Pierrot - atteched below is a pic of your pump.

MF

Where do I get one of those? Any idea of budget

Most rice farmers who need tolift water from klongs will have one or know where you can get one from - as will any shrimp/prawn farmer - they all use them because they can be used to lift live prawn/shrimp from one dam to the next.

They are mostly small business/backyard workshop made and cost Baht 15 000 to around Baht 150 000.

The one in the pic is though a commericaly made one which cost me around Baht 33k if I recall corretcly, but as there are so many folk making them, your best bet - just drive around a rice growing area, prawn/shrimp farming area close to where ever you are, untill you see one working and ask the farmer where he got it from.