Newbies -need Advice

ExpatHotelier

Dear All Wise-ones,

I am relocating to Koh Lanta and will be working in a hotel. I am given a rental +Utility allowance of TBHAT$25,000. My wife and my 2 years old will be coming along with me. Need advice on followings:-

1. Any advice on a town/suburb/area that is suitable for family to live within a expat community nearby to amenities (Shopping, clinics/hospital and groceries)?. I would prefer if my daily travelling time to work is within 45 minutes.

2. Is the above allowance sufficient for a two bedrooms unit/villa/apartment that has reasonble security and in safe environment in your recommended area in question 1?.

3. Should I be getting a car myself or rent one on weekends and rely on public transport on weekdays if the intended of work is within 2-3 years?. If buying one, how much will it cost for a small sedan family car?.

4. Is there any good real estate agents that any of you can recommend?. My search in the net is not very encouraging.

Since I am moving in a month time, all your prompt advices will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks.

Tzi.

Edited by ExpatHotelier

Dear All Wise-ones,

I am relocating to Koh Lanta and will be working in a hotel. I am given a rental +Utility allowance of TBHAT$25,000. My wife and my 2 years old will be coming along with me. Need advice on followings:-

1. Any advice on a town/suburb/area that is suitable for family to live within a expat community nearby to amenities (Shopping, clinics/hospital and groceries)?. I would prefer if my daily travelling time to work is within 45 minutes.

2. Is the above allowance sufficient for a two bedrooms unit/villa/apartment that has reasonble security and in safe environment in your recommended area in question 1?.

3. Should I be getting a car myself or rent one on weekends and rely on public transport on weekdays if the intended of work is within 2-3 years?. If buying one, how much will it cost for a small sedan family car?.

4. Is there any good real estate agents that any of you can recommend?. My search in the net is not very encouraging.

Since I am moving in a month time, all your prompt advices will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks.

Tzi.

1. 45 minutes pretty much covers you from one end of Koh Lanta to the other. 25,000thb should cover you for a pretty decent rental, sorry, I do business down there but have never looked into places to live.

2. Lanta is pretty safe, don't go overboard with paranoia, I know a lot of business people that live and work there.

3. Yes, get yourself a Suzuki Carribean car, or a Honda sedan, should be able to get that in a used car lot in Krabi for around 90-150,000,thb. For your ride to work, just have a motorbike, used one of those 10,000thb (or around anyway).

4. Best cut the real estate agents out of the equation when thinking of a rental. There are a lot of bungalow resort places that are really cheap this time of year. Get one of those for the first couple weeks and source the place to live once you are there.

Are you going to work for Langham? What is your position?

Judging by your questions, I fear that you have not been to Koh Lanta before.

I can only suggest you do a "shirt" load of research, perhaps start with this site :-

http://www.kohlantalife.com/

Though I suspect if you haven't been to Lanta before you are in for a suprise.

Good luck in your endeavours.

Yes, I have not been there before and understand it is remote but it is for short duration of 2-3 yrs. At such, I am trying to seek if there is a decent expat living place to stay within the island vacinity of budget TBhat25,000 per month?. Of course, during the weekends, we understand that a trip to the mainland Krabi town is enevitable to get supply for the baby and other essential items.

Tzi

Dear All Wise-ones,

Thanks.

Tzi.

1. 45 minutes pretty much covers you from one end of Koh Lanta to the other. 25,000thb should cover you for a pretty decent rental, sorry, I do business down there but have never looked into places to live.

2. Lanta is pretty safe, don't go overboard with paranoia, I know a lot of business people that live and work there.

3. Yes, get yourself a Suzuki Carribean car, or a Honda sedan, should be able to get that in a used car lot in Krabi for around 90-150,000,thb. For your ride to work, just have a motorbike, used one of those 10,000thb (or around anyway).

4. Best cut the real estate agents out of the equation when thinking of a rental. There are a lot of bungalow resort places that are really cheap this time of year. Get one of those for the first couple weeks and source the place to live once you are there.

Thanks for your advice. Are they looking for an F&B Expat? Mine is a local and I am going in a month time.

By the way, do you advice if we live off island?.

Tzi

Edited by ExpatHotelier

I do not recommend you live off of the island as the ferry situation to and from is too much headache for a dailey routine.

You mentioned you are an F&B? You will be handling F&B for one of the larger hotels?

Edited by huggybear

Hi Tzi, do I understand this correctly?

You will get a salary plus 25,000bt for house rental?

Chai laew, that's how I understood it, that's his monthly stipend for living expenses.

Otherwise I know where you are going with this GungaDin. 25,000 as the salary is not going to cover a family of three unless you are Thai.

^^^^^^^ Let's hope he's not being conned. :o

Correct, The Bhat$25k per month is only for Accomodation + Utility Allowance. Salary is in addition and separately paid.

Hope amount is sufficient for comfy 2 fully furnished bedroom unit/apt/condo with security in Koh Lanta?. Or how does the Expat stay there?. Individual house/Bangalow?. Any particular area you recommend?. Or do I need to top up?. If yes, how much will that be?.

Tzi.

Edited by ExpatHotelier

I do not recommend you live off of the island as the ferry situation to and from is too much headache for a dailey routine.

You mentioned you are an F&B? You will be handling F&B for one of the larger hotels?

NOt sure if it large but yes, I will be looking after the outlets. Do you reckon I should stay near town center at Salakan or is there a particular area which is where family expats community live?.

Dear All Wise-ones,

Thanks.

Tzi.

hi huggy bear,

what business / industry are you in then ?

• 3 weeks later...