Name This Tree Please.

Hello peoples,

I bought this tree last month and i have not been able to name it. It has white flowers with petals about 1.5" diameter. The guy in the shop told me it would grow to about 5-6'. I saw a few of them in the grounds of Rangsit University and the smallest one was about 20'. I'd like to know how big i can expect this "triffid" to get!

post-48222-1219894510_thumb.jpg

Nidge.

Bauhinia Alba. Chong Kho in Thai (at least the purple one is called chong kho, not sure about the white one)

The purple flowered kind can grow to quite tall, it is called Hong Kong Orchid tree, Bauhinia Blakeana and is quite lovely. The white flowered kind usually does stay smaller, in my experience.

Hello peoples,

I bought this tree last month and i have not been able to name it. It has white flowers with petals about 1.5" diameter. The guy in the shop told me it would grow to about 5-6'. I saw a few of them in the grounds of Rangsit University and the smallest one was about 20'. I'd like to know how big i can expect this "triffid" to get!

Nidge.

There is a variety that stays low or is usually maintained around 5-6' in a shrub form that is everywhere down south called "kaa long" Thai name, or "dwarf white bauhinia". I would cut about a foot off the top to promote branching.

happy gardening,

meandwi

Hello peoples,

Nidge.

There is a variety that stays low or is usually maintained around 5-6' in a shrub form that is everywhere down south called "kaa long" Thai name, or "dwarf white bauhinia". I would cut about a foot off the top to promote branching.

happy gardening,

meandwi

Great to know the Thai name, finally, thanks meandwi. I have several of these growing around my place, they seem to be much slower growing than the others. I also have the Hong Kong Orchid Tree (which I bought) and the Bauhinia species tree, (which I grew from seed). The species tree has been fairly slow growing, reached a certain height and then stopped (about 25 feet?) the Hong Kong Orchid Tree has been very fast growing, but again, reached a certain height and stopped.

As for the white bauhinia, I see it fairly often here, even have access to a few seeds if anyone is interested.