New Or Used Car?

krabbyken

Hi, will be moving to Chiang Mai in November and will need to buy a car. It does not appear that there is too much differents in price between new and good used cars. I am sure that new drivers are bound to have a "few fender benders" until he learns the "rules of the road" :D If there are any rules, it seems like every one just makes up their own driving rules! So seems like I should practice on a used car. Any advice on reliable used or new car dealers in C.M.? Would like to hear your experiences in regards to cars or trucks..... Ken :o

Just my personal observation....

When you look into the matter more carefully, to me it seems that second hand cars are fairly high priced in comparison to new cars. I do not want to generalize but personally I would never ever buy a second hand car that has been driven/maintained by a Thai. I could imagine to buy a repossessed second hand car from a dealer at the utmost.

I would never buy second hand unless I knew exactly where it came from and the car had all the service records. The biggest worry is damage from accidents. Once they have been hit hard they are never the same. I have seen one or two year old vehicles that SHOULD have still been under factory warranty. There were no service records and no warranty. Those are the vehicles to walk away from no matter how good they look.

Depends on what you’re thinking of buying and how long you will keep the car/truck..

Ford, Mazda, Audi, Saab, Chevrolet, unless you have lots of money are not worth buying new as they have lost around 50% or more in 3 – 4 years..

Honda, Toyota, Isuzu in the same 3 – 4 years have lost maybe 10 – 15% so makes sense to buy new.

It is easier for Thais to buy 2nd hand on credit, then new.

It's depend how much you like to spend. If you looking for a 150'000 Baht car or if you looking to spend a half or one million. Generaly it's not worth to buy a used car if you looking for a 2 or 3 year old boring Toyota or Honda, because used car prices for "market cars" are to high. Maybe you spend for a 2 year old Fortuner 900k (new one cost 1.2 million) or for e 3 year old vios 420'k (new one cost a little over 500'k). If you looking for a 15 year old banger, you can get a good car below 200'k. BTW, New Toyota parts aren't cheap anymore. If you want spend some more money, like a nice Nissan Cefiro or BMW, than its worth to buy second hand. The idea to not buy from a Thai is crazy. Where do we living? We living in Thailand and i would say this looks almost like discrimination if we recomment this in a forum. 99.9% cars on the road belongs to, or get driven by, Thais. Even cars from farangs maybe drove 50 times to Isaan, be their wifes, hitting all the potholes and get all the suspension <deleted>....kct up. There are also many upper class Thais who living in Bangkok, never drove into Isaan and they have enought money to support their cars. This kind of Thais don't drive the cheap charlie vioses and Jazzes. They most have 3 or 4 cars in their home, like Camrys, Crowns Lexuses, BMW's or even the Nissan Cefiros. This kind of cars you can find with low kilometer and you'll find second hand for bargain prices. Just look for no accident ones For example a 2003 Nissan Cefiro cost arround 600'k in good shape, new one was 1.3 milion. Below half of the new one (new one is Teena). So why not buy second hand?

I bought a 4wd second hand pickup a while back at the same time my friend bought a new similar model. In 5 years mine dropped from 440 to 300 ...my friends dropped from 850 plus extras (100) to about 450 to 500.

4x4 Pick Up Truck is possible. They lose their value quite fast, specially if it's automatic and 4 door. Because Thais mosthly want only the 2 wheel drive with manual gearbox and space cab, instead of 4 doors, for Roadtax reasons and Thais who have money don't drive Pick Up's anyway. So if you looking for a 4 door Pick, automatic, you should find them half of the new price if it's 5 year old. You can get a Mitsubishi or Nissan. They are cheaper than Honda or Isuzu.

bought 3 brand new cars over the years in thailand ,last year bought a used car for the wife ,nothing but trouble ,monday ordered a yaris 614000b ,delivery 12 september ,should of done this last year and saved a lot of money and headaches.....

bought 3 brand new cars over the years in thailand ,last year bought a used car for the wife ,nothing but trouble ,monday ordered a yaris 614000b ,delivery 12 september ,should of done this last year and saved a lot of money and headaches.....

Presume your talking about the car ? what was it, year, cost, what went wrong/cost of repairs,what have you sold it for, this may be informative to krabbyken. Can only say have purchased 7 previously Thai owned vehicles age range 3 to 25 years without any service history and have never spent any more than i would have expected to do in the west.(average ownership length over 2 years)

When you look into the matter more carefully, to me it seems that second hand cars are fairly high priced in comparison to new cars. I do not want to generalize but personally I would never ever buy a second hand car that has been driven/maintained by a Thai. I could imagine to buy a repossessed second hand car from a dealer at the utmost.

I agree. This is an example of an accident damaged car a thai 'mechanic' quoted 150,000 baht to repair and make roadworthy

post-38330-1220013884_thumb.jpg

Edited by goldfish

Hi, will be moving to Chiang Mai in November and will need to buy a car. It does not appear that there is too much differents in price between new and good used cars. I am sure that new drivers are bound to have a "few fender benders" until he learns the "rules of the road" :D If there are any rules, it seems like every one just makes up their own driving rules! So seems like I should practice on a used car. Any advice on reliable used or new car dealers in C.M.? Would like to hear your experiences in regards to cars or trucks..... Ken :o

You sound like someone that should not be driving if you feel a need to practice with a used car.

I'd go for secondhand everytime IF you know a bit about cars and can make your own judgement without having to listen to the seller.

Check out the following site : www.one2car.com and do some research before making up your mind. I spent 6 months searching for a bargain but it was worth the wait. Only had to spend 128,000 for a Nissan which was basically sound. It had a few paint scratches where the prvious owners dog had been jumping up and greeting the owner. I had a total respray for 9500 baht, spent another 10,000 on various things and now for a total of 148,000 I have a car that looks like new and drives like new. Best car I ever had.

Hello, in response to the original post - I can't reccomend anywhere in CM as I live in BK but I can offer my experiences of buying new and secondhand. During my time in Thailand, I've bought a Toyota Soluna second-hand and it served me well, and a Vios, new, which I've kind of regretted. With regards to buying second-hand - Thailand's no different from your home country - basically follow all the same advice you would back home! From the UK, I trust the online 'AA' guides as a good outline of what to do, check for, take into account etc.

My Soluna had a full service history, reasonable mileage and it's one lady owner clearly loved her car as it still had all the original accessories etc. Best of all, the Soluna had depreciated around 40% over the five years before I bought it, finance was easy to get, the car was the highest-spec model which I couldn't have afforded new, and I lost only 15% when I sold it on after 3 years (cars don't depreciate so much in Thailand).

In contrast, I saved and paid cash for a new Vios last year and have lived to regret it. I regret buying the low-spec model which, I now realise, won't hold it's value, and my car's been plagued by malfunctions and failiures - just because a car is new doesn't mean that it will work perfectly. It's nice to have a new car but car's don't stay new for very long!

My advice is to consider buying second hand, however hard a good car can be to find. I've mentioned it before on this forum, but there is now a 'testcar' garage in Bangkok which will check cars (although this isn't helpful for CM!). Good luck deciding what to do!

I agree. This is an example of an accident damaged car a thai 'mechanic' quoted 150,000 baht to repair and make roadworthy

That's normal. T i T. Have to repair, because insurance don't pay cash for the owner. If you are the owner of this car and you had the accident, even maybe you not wrong, are you willing to trow the car away and lose it? Insurance will repair it, but insurance never pay the cash in your hand what the car is worth before the accident, not like in Europe. This kind of cars mostly go to car auctions for a little bit lower price than the marked value, so cheap charly can buy them and be proud to get vehicle for a "good" price.

Your car could be new and look like this on the next morning when you wake up, because it was parked on the street overnight when the big truck comming. so your insurance would only repair it for you.

Therefoe it's better in Thailand to own a 150'000 baht second hand car instead of a new 1.2 million Camry. Who takes the loss when you try to sell this car after repair?? Not the insuurance of corse. But with a lost of 150'k you can living.

In my experience, say what you will about Thai people; but Thai auto repair shop mechanics excel at making the worst accident-damaged cars look like new. You would be hard pressed to notice the difference, until possibly after driving them for a while; which is why you will unlikely convince a 2nd-hand dealer to allow a test drive. It's been my experience that only dealers selling new vehicles have them to test drive, and not all.

Would like to hear your experiences in regards to cars or trucks..... Ken :o

I have bought 2 used cars (Toyota Sportrider and Honda CRV) used in Thailand with no problems and saved allot of money. Toyota was 1 year old with service records from a used-car dealer. The Honda was from a friend repatriating to farangland. The Honda was 2 years old and had less than 4000 kilos on it (basically, he drove it a couple times to CM and back and kept it parked in his condo garage the rest of the time). As he was in a hurry to leave and sell-up, really Jewed him down on the price for a practically new vehicle.

As soon as you drive a new car off the dealer lot, it becomes used and instantly looses 10-15% of its value. After a year, you're looking at 20%. I would certainly buy a 1 year old vehicle and let the original sucker (oops sorry...buyer) take the first 20% hit!

A great place to find really good buys on late model vehicles is Pattaya. This is because there are always farangs who are selling-up and returing home for a variety of reasons and have to unload a vehicle (and houses, appliances, and everything else) quickly and for cash. If you are a good negotiator, you can really break some balls and get great deals.

In my experience, say what you will about Thai people; but Thai auto repair shop mechanics excel at making the worst accident-damaged cars look like new. You would be hard pressed to notice the difference, until possibly after driving them for a while; which is why you will unlikely convince a 2nd-hand dealer to allow a test drive. It's been my experience that only dealers selling new vehicles have them to test drive, and not all.

Who in their right mind buys a car without test driving it first? Any car dealer that doesn't let you test drive must be hiding something, I would assume..

The Honda was from a friend repatriating to farangland. As he was in a hurry to leave and sell-up, really Jewed him down on the price for a practically new vehicle.

Not familiar with your term "jewed him down", but for a friend it doesn't sound too friendly!

Not familiar with your term "jewed him down", but for a friend it doesn't sound too friendly!

It means to bargain hard for the lowest price for something like a Jew...they are good business people and never overpay for anything.

It was a good deal for both of us...I got a practically new Honda CRV for about $3000-4000 less than buying than off a used-car lot (and practically new with low-low mileage) and he got a quick all cash sale, with the money directly transferred from my US bank account to his (US account).

this is absurd. WHO would buy a 2nd-hand without a test-drive!! If you haven't been able to convince a dealer for a test drive, he didn't want to sell it to you, period.

It means to bargain hard for the lowest price for something like a Jew...they are good business people and never overpay for anything.

It was a good deal for both of us...I got a practically new Honda CRV for about $3000-4000 less than buying than off a used-car lot (and practically new with low-low mileage) and he got a quick all cash sale, with the money directly transferred from my US bank account to his (US account).

Though not a big follower of political correctness, i would suggest that your use of the word Jew could be offensive to some.

As for the deal you did with your friend, if he was happy then that's great. It's just the way you worded it made it sound like you used his difficult circumstances (ie needing to sell quickly) to drive the price down, which isn't something i would be comfortable doing to one of my friends. Each to his own i guess.