Farm Building Construction

Hi folks,

I need to construct a secure lock-up and place for a night guard to hang out, some problems with things going missing out on my young ladies farm at night.

There is already a kind of barn structure, and we are thinking just build something under the roof of that, mainly for the shade really.

So we need to build something that is a 4 metres square, and 2.5 meters high, it needs to be concrete or similar (blocks?) with a single door and windows (no glass just shutters) in each of the 4 walls, the roof needs to be flat, and does not need to be completely waterproof, as the roof of the barn above will keep it dry.

Any ideas on cheap construction methods and what we should be paying to have this built? The local construction team seem to be quoting for something that must be coming with a swimming pool and be at least 4 times the size.

Thanks in advance.

Hi folks,

I need to construct a secure lock-up and place for a night guard to hang out, some problems with things going missing out on my young ladies farm at night.

There is already a kind of barn structure, and we are thinking just build something under the roof of that, mainly for the shade really.

So we need to build something that is a 4 metres square, and 2.5 meters high, it needs to be concrete or similar (blocks?) with a single door and windows (no glass just shutters) in each of the 4 walls, the roof needs to be flat, and does not need to be completely waterproof, as the roof of the barn above will keep it dry.

Any ideas on cheap construction methods and what we should be paying to have this built? The local construction team seem to be quoting for something that must be coming with a swimming pool and be at least 4 times the size.

Thanks in advance.

Mac,

I am currently building a large pig sty and I would suggest you use a similar technique as I have used. Basically four concrete posts set on concrete pads and then a concrete beam running around the perimeter. The floor is poured onto the top and the roof can be made of steel (as I have done) or timber. The walls are simply made of concrete blocks and rendered (sharped) with the door and window frames included as the walls are built. Roofing in corrugated iron is the cheapest. Take a look at local structures for a few clues. There is a web site www.coolthaihouse.co.th or .com which includes photos of house construction methods which will give you a lot of information.

Sourcing precast concrete posts is simple from any of the local building supply yards and they range in price depending on size. If you have family members capable of digging a hole you should get them to do it as it will save some 30% over getting a local "builder".

Price indications are:

Concrete posts (5" square) 3m long either for bolted roof attachments or with exposed reinforcing for welding on the roof structure are about 420 Baht each.

Concrete reinforcing wire (1/4" to 3/8" dia should do the trick for you) 1/4" is the last I bought and runs about 140 baht for a ten metre length.

Concrete blocks are currently 6 baht each near us. (used to be 3 baht)

Cement ranges from 110 baht to 140 per bag depending on brand and type.

Sand and gravel run about 5-6000 baht per 6Q or 6 cubic metres.

Alternately you can get ready mixed concrete delivered at about 2000-2500 baht per cub metre.

Roofing iron is currently 20baht per linear foot and covers 700mm per panel.

Steel frame depends of the design but I would assume you will use a 100 mm or 75mm "C" section attached to the posts and 4*2" timber as battens at 1 metre centres. Checks local prices but last 75mm c sestion I bought for about 450 per 6 metre length.

Door frames were about 600 Baht and windows a bit less. Haven't bought any for a long time.

Hope all that helps

Isaanaussie

Thanks man that really helps me out.

We have decided we might as well concrete the entire barn floor now at the same time, any ideas on a rough costs to concrete a 4 metre x 12.5 metre area? Just a rough guide will do, so I can judge if the local gang are playing silly buggers with numbers again.

We have decided we might as well concrete the entire barn floor now at the same time, any ideas on a rough costs to concrete a 4 metre x 12.5 metre area? Just a rough guide will do, so I can judge if the local gang are playing silly buggers with numbers again.

OK 50 sq metres by 100mm thick is 5 cubic metres. Add 10% for shrinkage allowance and call the total 6 cubic metres. If they mix it on site, 4 guys at 150-200 baht per day. One day prepare, one day pour is being generous. Add the boss's wack and some mesh reinforcement, I would expect the total bill for the floor to be well under 18,000 baht.

As a gauge, we dig 20 600*600*600 post holes by hand, and put a footing of concrete 100mm thick in the bottom of the hole in one day, four guys at 150 baht each a day. I own the concrete mixer but they can be rented at less than 600 baht per day. Last offer to rent mine was in 2006 at 400 per day to make the concrete road in the village.

If you need more information PM me.

Isaanaussie

OK 50 sq metres by 100mm thick is 5 cubic metres. Add 10% for shrinkage allowance and call the total 6 cubic metres. If they mix it on site, 4 guys at 150-200 baht per day. One day prepare, one day pour is being generous. Add the boss's wack and some mesh reinforcement, I would expect the total bill for the floor to be well under 18,000 baht.

As a gauge, we dig 20 600*600*600 post holes by hand, and put a footing of concrete 100mm thick in the bottom of the hole in one day, four guys at 150 baht each a day. I own the concrete mixer but they can be rented at less than 600 baht per day. Last offer to rent mine was in 2006 at 400 per day to make the concrete road in the village.

If you need more information PM me.

Isaanaussie

A last comment from personal experience.

Think of pest control, and not just the night watchmen. I remember my time in Indonesia where my fridge was worth more than I paid the gatekeeper and the difference was made up by the guy who robbed the place and had the watchman help him load it onto the truck. Valueables inside, guards outside, no keys. Make sure that rats and birds can't get in either.

A last comment from personal experience.

Think of pest control, and not just the night watchmen. I remember my time in Indonesia where my fridge was worth more than I paid the gatekeeper and the difference was made up by the guy who robbed the place and had the watchman help him load it onto the truck. Valueables inside, guards outside, no keys. Make sure that rats and birds can't get in either.

Yes part of the reason we want something fairly substantial is to keep vermin out of the stores. The guard should be trustworthy, the family are going to be taking care of the duty in rotation, they have as much at stake in the farm as anyone.

Cheers for the info, and the offer for more advice via PM, I may well take you up on that at some stage.

Timber? - knock it up out of timber - around a standard 4 x 4 (PAR) frame.

Cheap - simple - easy to take down and/or move and so long as the timber is treated properly (re-treat yourself if not satisfied) will last a good few years with little in the way of future maintanance been required.