Wife To Ireland - Hope This Is Easy To Answer

I had a look and couldn't find the exact scenario I am looking for the answer to so here goes with a new post:

Ok Wife is here in the UK on ILR at the moment, her Sister is in Ireland (married to an Irish guy) and wife wants to visit her as her sister is dropping a sprog...

So my question is -

1) Do I apply for a normal visitors visa for her and do I need anything from the brother in law to say where's she staying etc

2) Irish embassy site says something about EU spouses not having to pay (do I get shafted due to being British on this one and have to pay the 60 euros)...

Lastly is there likelyhood that there will be problems here (had right drama getting the wife here almost 2 years ago so looking for heads up).

Cheers

:o

I had a look and couldn't find the exact scenario I am looking for the answer to so here goes with a new post:

Ok Wife is here in the UK on ILR at the moment, her Sister is in Ireland (married to an Irish guy) and wife wants to visit her as her sister is dropping a sprog...

So my question is -

1) Do I apply for a normal visitors visa for her and do I need anything from the brother in law to say where's she staying etc

2) Irish embassy site says something about EU spouses not having to pay (do I get shafted due to being British on this one and have to pay the 60 euros)...

Lastly is there likelyhood that there will be problems here (had right drama getting the wife here almost 2 years ago so looking for heads up).

Cheers

Cannot answer the specific question, but with point 2, being British, like it or not you are en EU citizen.

So my question is -

Cheers

:D

Cannot answer the specific question, but with point 2, being British, like it or not you are en EU citizen.

My comment regarding the British thing had nothing to do with either liking or not liking being a british citizen or one of the EU.

OK if UK was part of the whole Schengen thing what I read in another post is that the wife doesn't need a visa for other Schengen countries, but as we are in Britain then we have to get a visa, I am just not clear on whether the Spouse of a EU citizen part applies to British Passport holders spouses or just to the rest of Europe...and don't even get me strted on the fact that I have to pay for visas for my mrs even though I am a Brit in Britain I get shafted by my own government, where other guys with different EU nationality don't due to family permits (although that could have all changed since I originally frequented this site).

That's what I meant by being shafted by being a Brit. :o

I hope you comment was not a troll, as it had nothing to do with my question. But thanks for the bump in any case.

I got the wife a visiit visa for s.ireland in march this year.As a spouse of a EU national the cost is free.

Had to supply travel intinery.

where we would be staying etc etc

all details are on irish embassy website in london took about ten days

ps your wife can only accompany her spouse can not travel alone. The visa was valid for 3 months

banpunket

I got the wife a visiit visa for s.ireland in march this year.As a spouse of a EU national the cost is free.

Had to supply travel intinery.

where we would be staying etc etc

all details are on irish embassy website in london took about ten days

ps your wife can only accompany her spouse can not travel alone. The visa was valid for 3 months

banpunket

Cheers.

So what's the score if I wanted to let her go alone? To be honest having to spend 2 weeks with the sister-in-law and a new baby is not my idea of fun (would rather be at work :o )

So my question is -

Cheers

another suggestion,fly or get the ferry over to belfast and drive/get bus/train down.no border checks,easy!

pablo

In order for your wife to get a free visa, you have to be travelling with her. If she goes alone, she will have to pay for her visa application.

I wouldn't take the previous poster's advice as Thais require visas for Ireland and to enter without one would mean that your wife would be there illegally.

Scouse.

In order for your wife to get a free visa, you have to be travelling with her. If she goes alone, she will have to pay for her visa application.

I wouldn't take the previous poster's advice as Thais require visas for Ireland and to enter without one would mean that your wife would be there illegally.

Scouse.

As always Scouse supplies the goods as required.

And as far as going to belfast and then travelling to Cork, one its daft idea, and two surely it would cost about the same to do it legally.

Will take a look at what the Irish guys need - assume I need the brother in law to supply something to say the Mrs is staying with them etc.

Will have to pull my finger out though as the sister in law has just dropped the sprog - so had it in the earole already :o:D

Just briefly (and a bit of back ground).

I'm in Cork, Ireland - Mrs is Thai - been her about 7yrs now and is an Irish citizen - and she has a sister in the uk...... but there was a day when she wasn't a citizen and had the same problems as you, but in reverse.

There was a day when the Irish system was pretty relaxed about non-nationals. Not anymore, and to put it bluntly, the immigration crowd in Cork airport are ignorant, arrogant swines.......

If you Mrs. is entering Ireland, she will need a visa - if you apply for a visitor visa its gonna take at least 6 weeks.

Personally, if I were in your shoes what I would do is this:

I'd get the spouse of an EU visa - I'd fly over with her, drop her at the airport and get the next flight back....... it will be easier, and in relaity probably cheaper (if you can get a cheap ticket).

Make sure that your "spouse of an EU" visa will get her back into England though...... thats the most worrying thing as far as I can see..... she'll have to go through immigration, as she did when first entering the uk.

HTH

Make sure that your "spouse of an EU" visa will get her back into England though...... thats the most worrying thing as far as I can see..... she'll have to go through immigration, as she did when first entering the uk.

As she has ILR she will not have a problem re-entering the UK. UK ILR holders can leave and re-enter the UK as often as they wish, regardless of whether they are with their British spouse (if they have one) or travelling alone. The only time there would be a problem was if they had spent more than 2 years outside the UK.

Further to a comment earlier about Schengen visas. Although both the UK and Ireland are EU members, neither the UK nor Ireland are fully signed up to the Schengen agreement. Not every member of the Schengen Agreement is also a member of the EU and vice versa.

Edited by 7by7

Will take a look at what the Irish guys need - assume I need the brother in law to supply something to say the Mrs is staying with them etc.

You will need a letter of invitation, just a basic two liner really, no need for an essay and as said previously you will need a visa and even though it is a roundabout way of going in the first place, UK-Belfast-Cork route without a visa should be viewed as a no-brainer.

Give the Embassy a call I have always found them very receptive on the occasions I had to speak to them.

• 4 weeks later...
Just briefly (and a bit of back ground).

I'm in Cork, Ireland - Mrs is Thai - been her about 7yrs now and is an Irish citizen - and she has a sister in the uk...... but there was a day when she wasn't a citizen and had the same problems as you, but in reverse.

There was a day when the Irish system was pretty relaxed about non-nationals. Not anymore, and to put it bluntly, the immigration crowd in Cork airport are ignorant, arrogant swines.......

If you Mrs. is entering Ireland, she will need a visa - if you apply for a visitor visa its gonna take at least 6 weeks.

Personally, if I were in your shoes what I would do is this:

I'd get the spouse of an EU visa - I'd fly over with her, drop her at the airport and get the next flight back....... it will be easier, and in relaity probably cheaper (if you can get a cheap ticket).

HTH

Hmm this looks like a good idea - OK.

So if I fly out with the wife drop her off with the inlaws stay the night, fly back and sloth for two weeks at home (no nagging woohoo)- that gets her into Ireland on EU Spouse visa, now the question that springs to my mind is there anything that says I am supposed to be with her for the duration of the stay, and secondly could she come back through Irish Immigration on her own or would they be looking for the EU citizen husband on the way out, or would I have to fly back to get her?

She is currently here on a FLR and my understanding of these is she can come and go as much as she wants as long as she doesn't spend more than X time out of the UK so getting back into the UK shouldn't be a problem.

There any other airlines other than Ryan Air that go to cork out of interest?

One more question

Having read the following:

"A detailed bank statement, showing sufficient funds, and covering the immediate 6 month period prior to submitting a visa application should be submitted. Lump sum lodgements made in the run up to an application being made are not taken into consideration when assessing a person’s ability to support themselves"

I have not got round to either getting the wife put on my bank account or getting her own one sorted (did apply a while back but didn't have enough stuff in her name to keep the bank happy she was not a terrorist)

I have a letter from the brother in law saying she will be staying with him and her sister when she gets there - so now I am wondering what on earth I do about satisfying the above part of the requirements? I can give her cash, but bank statements are in currently in my name and even if I get her put on the account now, wont satisfy the 6months condition...

You know I start to appreciate having a british passport...

I assume that if she goes the family permit thing and travels with me, then they dont look into the financial side?

And nobody seems to know if she can return to the UK on her own, should I ask the Irish embassy or would I just be digging myself a nice big hole

"A detailed bank statement, showing sufficient funds, and covering the immediate 6 month period prior to submitting a visa application should be submitted. Lump sum lodgements made in the run up to an application being made are not taken into consideration when assessing a person’s ability to support themselves"

Lump sums prior to any application are viewed with suspicion.

should I ask the Irish embassy or would I just be digging myself a nice big hole

Yes you should and no you wont.

I have always found them pretty amenable, I got a visa for the wife even though I didn't have all the required documentation, the I.O just signed it personally and the visa was issued.

Two qualifying points here, I am an Irish National and it was a couple of years ago, they might not be so forgiving now, give them a call, you have nothing to lose.

As for returning on her own, I do not know, but if she has a valid visa for the Republic and a valid visa for entry clearance into the UK, I see no problem, but it needs a better view of the law than me, either Scouse or Vinny answers or you hit the phones.

Good Luck

Moss

The essence is that you don't need to give a stuff about Irish national legislation: the whole ting is governed by Euro law. That's not to say that you won't meet with some obstreperous individual who insists that s/he is right, but play the long game.

Scouse.