Poipet Border : Any Foreseeable Problems ?

I'd like to plan my next visa run in Cambodia, staying like 10-12 days there. If I do that I'll have to make sure I re-enter Thailand before september 19th, which is the end of my 1 year non-b (so I get the 5th 90 days entry). In short, no room for a delayed entry or I find myself visaless...

Considering the current events, I'm wondering if there are any 'chances' for the Poipet border to get closed in the coming days/weeks? Was that ever the case ? What happened at borders for the 2006 coup ?

Hi Sept,

I was so unfortunate to do a Visa Run in that time and I couldn't leave the country as the Thai/Burma border was closed on that day. I think the Burmese did close the border on their side as well. It was just for a day os so. So not really a big problem...

cheers

Thx for the info Marca!

I so much want to go and visit Angkor Wat during the rain season... I think I'll take the chance.

Head back a day early just to be safe. Siem Riep and Ankor is worth the risk :o 10-12 days there will be a tonne.

How about getting your visa for Cambo online for $25 instead of the Bt1000 the thiefs will want at the border (they have been known to tear $20 notes as well) ?

Just noticed (edit in) that they may have suspended this as well ! or just problems ?????

http://evisa.mfaic.gov.kh/e-visa/vindex.aspx

dam_n, I indeed wanted to do that e-visa thing. I guess that will be the THB 1000 at the border, then :/

Edited by Sept

Head back a day early just to be safe. Siem Riep and Ankor is worth the risk :D 10-12 days there will be a tonne.

I'm dreaming of it since I was there in March. I promised myself I'd go back at other time of year to see Angkor more watery, more greeny, and less touristy :o

My plans are to spend 6-7 days in Siem Reap so I have a chance to catch a day with decent weather, then 3-4 days in Sihanoukville to check it out. Then probably a couple days in Koh Chang, on the 18th just to be sure.

That's the way I like 'em visa runs. I'm not so fond of Kaw Thong :D

Head back a day early just to be safe. Siem Riep and Ankor is worth the risk :D 10-12 days there will be a tonne.

I'm dreaming of it since I was there in March. I promised myself I'd go back at other time of year to see Angkor more watery, more greeny, and less touristy :o

My plans are to spend 6-7 days in Siem Reap so I have a chance to catch a day with decent weather, then 3-4 days in Sihanoukville to check it out. Then probably a couple days in Koh Chang, on the 18th just to be sure.

That's the way I like 'em visa runs. I'm not so fond of Kaw Thong :D

Re digs in Siem Reap, check out the Red Piano (google it), I've stayed there twice and my sister & her group of seven from the U.S. stayed there last year.

Mac

• 2 weeks later...
How about getting your visa for Cambo online for $25 instead of the Bt1000 the thiefs will want at the border (they have been known to tear $20 notes as well) ?

Just noticed (edit in) that they may have suspended this as well ! or just problems ?????

http://evisa.mfaic.gov.kh/e-visa/vindex.aspx

dam_n, I indeed wanted to do that e-visa thing. I guess that will be the THB 1000 at the border, then :/

Don't give in so easily to the scam. The more people who accept it as the norm, the more likely it will stay that way. It says 20 USD on the sign at the counter, so just give them 20 USD.

Don't give in so easily to the scam. The more people who accept it as the norm, the more likely it will stay that way. It says 20 USD on the sign at the counter, so just give them 20 USD.

they will take ages to process your Visa, probably claim that the bills are fake...

However you can try and sometimes they accept the USD20.-.

You need to be patient.

I used to do this visa run in my early days of living in Bangkok but now find myself having to do it again as my non immi has run out and I am not going to London till christmas.

I did the following which works out the cheapest and the quickest.

3.30am bus from Mo chit bus temrinal 160 baht I think

7.30am arrive bus station take tuk tuk to the boarder 60 baht

7.45am arrive boarder

8.00am clear thai immi (if you go this early there is no one there and there is a line only for foreign passports and not Thai so no long lines here

8.05am arrive at the cambodian immi after short walk (talk to the guy in plane clothes with a gold tooth, really nice guy) 1100 for everything no medical fee he will get the stamp doen for you as well.

8.20am walk back to Thai immi

8.30am clear Thai immi with 30 day stamp 8.40 at the latest

8.35am take tuk tuk to the bus station 60 baht

8.45am arrive at the bus station

9.00am bus back to Bangkok 160 baht

1.00pm arrive in Bangkok Mo chit no later than 1.30 forsure.

So in total 160 x 2 320

60 x 2 120

= 1540 and only in 9 hours. Bring valium :o

I also love the ride, nice to see rural Thailand and will be good to see this area again after 3/4 years of not going. I am going tomorrow morning at 3.30am sharp if anyone wants to join me.

Edited by bravingbangkok

8.05am arrive at the cambodian immi after short walk (talk to the guy in plane clothes with a gold tooth, really nice guy) 1100 for everything no medical fee he will get the stamp doen for you as well...

This is the first time I see a “medical fee”, respectively the waiver of it against payment, mentioned in relation to an entry into Cambodia.

--

Maestro

Sure, nothing wrong in paying somebody to do the running around for you, on the contrary. It’s the medical fee that had me stumped, as I took it to mean that normally a fee would have to paid for a medical examination when going through the Cambodian immigration check-point.

--

Maestro

For me I just gave him my passport he filled everything out for me and told me to sign, paid the 1100baht told me to sit down on those rows of plastic chairs and then came back with the visa which had been stamped for arrival and departure so no walking to get the stamp and no possible medical con. So easy, usually done in 10 mins. Once he had the sticker with him and just slapped it on and signed and stamped it and sent me on my way. As I said a nice guy :o Do not know if he is still there.