Vaccination

benfica

hi,

just wondering what sort of vaccinations do you recommend when visiting thailand?thanks.

Visit you local health centre and update the vaccinations needed for wherever you plan to go :o

Btw - there are no vaccines for malaria, dengue, and aids - etc. :D

but you still need to protect yourself (local mosquito repellent/condoms) :D

Edited by bergen

hi,

just wondering what sort of vaccinations do you recommend when visiting thailand?thanks.

Visit you local health centre and update the vaccinations needed for wherever you plan to go :o

Btw - there are no vaccines for malaria, dengue, and aids - etc. :D

but you still need to protect yourself (local mosquito repellent/condoms) :D

Depending on your age the Dutch Health service recommends the following:

- Hepatitis B

- Hepatitis A

- DTP

- Typhoid fever

and if you go to Malaria country, ask for advice!

In 8 years I have never heard of the need for vaccinations for Thailand, unless Drs are selling the drugs.

Just because you have not heard of it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Google travel /health advise and you will see that there are a few vaccinations which are advised visiting/living in tropical countries.

Up to the OP if he/she will have them.

In 8 years I have never heard of the need for vaccinations for Thailand, unless Drs are selling the drugs.

Just because you have not heard of it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Google travel /health advise and you will see that there are a few vaccinations which are advised visiting/living in tropical countries.

Ok, tell us what diseases should we all be vaccinated for, if travelling to Thailand.

What a load of rubbish, next you'll be telling is to get vaccs for Australia, the Antarctic & the North Pole!

All you need for Thailand is good quality condoms, lube, & a good, deet based, mozzie repellant.

Have you been to Thailand in your dreams?

Ok, tell us what diseases should we all be vaccinated for, if travelling to Thailand.

What a load of rubbish, next you'll be telling is to get vaccs for Australia, the Antarctic & the North Pole!

All you need for Thailand is good quality condoms, lube, & a good, deet based, mozzie repellant.

Have you been to Thailand in your dreams?

No need to get all that excited and defencive, like I said, google and the OP or anybody else can decide for themselves if, and for whatever reason they want to follow the advice given on the various sites.

It is not up to me to tell what is needed, nor is it up to you to say that it is absolutely not needed.

Just because you don't care about these things doesn't mean that it is the smart thing to do.

Regards

I think the answer depends where in Thailand the OP is travelling to and what standard of accommodation they are likely to be using.

As this was posted in the Issan forum do we assume that the OP is looking at a few months in the rice fields, in which case the list of things they could be exposed to increases. Even so bilharzia is unlikely.

Mostly mozzie repellant is the greatest benifit. But use of common sense applies:

From this web site.

Rabies: The risk to travellers in endemic areas is proportional to their exposure to potentially rabid animals. Travellers in tourist resorts are at very low risk.

Tetanus: The Department of Health previously recommended administration of reinforcing (booster) doses of tetanus vaccine at ten year intervals, with the administration of further doses in the event of injuries that may give rise to tetanus.

Dirty wounds can become infected with tetanus spores anywhere in the world. Therefore, every traveller should be fully protected against tetanus.

If the OP is considering renting a motorbike for example - the chances of getting a nasty gash on a leg or arm infected with grit and dirty water is increased. If there is a limo waiting in BKK to drive you straight to the Sofitel in Khon Kaen for two weeks then it is more likely that you will suffer a sore throat from too much air-con rather than a stomach bug.

I don't know about those places as I have never traveled to them, yet. But for a modernized country such as the USA there are plenty of vaccinations given during one's lifetime. Most of those are provided at an early childhood age (i.e. Mumps, Measles, Rubella, Hep, TB, etc) But even later in life folks are still getting other vaccinations (Annual Flu shots, tetanus, etc)... I guess it boils down to the risks you are wanting to take and your body's immune system.

If I thought for one second that I needed a vacc for travel to the LoS, I'd have it.

You are still avoiding my questions. :o

I don't need google, I have the school of tropical medicine in the UK & Aus to advise me.

thank you.

Not avoiding anything, just using common sense. I am not a doctor, so to advice that someone would "have to" do this or that is not mine to give.

It is very obvious that you are not a doctor either, telling that nothing is needed or can be done is just very very bad advice.

Why should there be "schools for tropical medicine" if you don't possibly need anything different or additional ( depending where you live) , if you are going to a tropical country.

Is it because the world is the same place all over as far as diseases and the possible risqué?? Is it because there are no ways to prevent something what is not really a problem in your own country?

Lub and a condom, Your visits seem to have another reason than mine, well, I would add Hep B too, if that were to be my activities during my stay in Thailand.

Tetanus has been mentioned, and Hep A+ B would be the minimum to me.

For others I advice them to contact their local office which deals with these things and to also google to get some idea about what they could do, to have a nice stay, depending on length of stay, activities and personal health.

Now you get the picture?

Regards

Yep, I get the picture.

You've never been to Thailand and you haven't got a clue about vaccs. :o

BTW, it's "Lube" not Lub, only Thais say "lub", as in "I lub you" :D

& it's "advise", not advice!

Bye, bye. Have a nice day.

Dr. Gunga Din

You are looking at the wrong picture, sorry...

Is this all you can come up with? Some errors in my English writing? Not all of us do come from English speaking countries, something you obviously have not realised yet after having been on this forum for almost a year. Sad.

And you are clairvoyant too, because you even can tell that I have never been to Thailand.

Woow you are really really good. And as for signing with DR, well looking at your responses and the way you made it clear to the OP about the how/what and why concerning vaccinations you are not worthy of that title. There is nothing in your answers which remotely suggests a higher education than just kindergarten and a few language lessons.

You wanted to have the last word?? You just had it.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
hi,

This is what the UK National Health Service says:

Thailand

If you are travelling to Thailand, you will usually be advised to have vaccinations against diphtheria, tetanus, poliomyelitis, and hepatitis A. You may also be advised to have immunisations for typhoid, tuberculosis, rabies, hepatitis B, and Japanese B encephalitis.

My own GP always recommends typhoid. In response to another poster who seems to think he knows better - I don't pay for any of the usually recommended vaccinations plus typhoid & neither does my wife, who is a patient at a different surgery - yes, despite spending the first 24 years of her life in Thailand, she's still advised to have the vaccinations.

Anyone who does not keep their tetanus shots up to date is a complete fool, irrespective of location - an ex-school mate of mine almost died of tetanus following a minor cut whilst playing football.

• 3 months later...

C. Seymour: diphtheria, tetanus, poliomyelitis, and hepatitis A. You may also be advised to have immunisations for typhoid...

I second this, yesterday a doc. advised me (Dutch GGD): DTP Hep A and Typhoid are higly recommended.

For Malaria: DEET, musquito net etc.

For me, not looking for adventure in the jungle, this will do.

I have asked Sheryl before to sticky a vaccination recommendation thread to avoid the nonsense here. I do wish she would do it.

The vaccinations you need in Thailand depend on where you will be going and what you will be doing. Before I arrived I made sure all my usual boosters were up to date: diptheria/tetanus, and polio. I also got Typhoid and Hep A shots, due to the high odds of eating vegetables/salads washed in unclean water. Don't say it isn't possible, I recently was infected with Giardia from a salad at a very popular hotel. Typhoid and Hep A aren't out of the question.

I also recommend Hep B for everybody. It's not that I expect everybody to get drunk and forget the condom, although I have heard that happens. I advise it for protection in case medical care is needed, such as injections or drawing blood. I do not trust the more rural government hospitals to do a perfect job of sterilizing the needles, and they don't have the single-use disposable needles here like they do in the US and probably Europe. In a bus wreck, you'd be taken to the closest hospital for care, and be glad of it. No need to risk hepatitis, and it would be a risk as a large percentage of Thais are infected with Hep B.

C. Seymour: diphtheria, tetanus, poliomyelitis, and hepatitis A. You may also be advised to have immunisations for typhoid...

I second this, yesterday a doc. advised me (Dutch GGD): DTP Hep A and Typhoid are higly recommended.

Hi,

Thankyou for your excellent information. I will be in Surin for 6 to 12 months and my doctor in Australia is telling me I need to consider a vaccination for Japanese encephalitis.

Could you or any other learned members offer any advice on whether this vaccination is necessary for Surin please. Cost of this vaccine is AUD$300.00 and does have some rather nasty side effects some of which require hospitalization.

I have had Hep A and Typhoid already and will have Polio, Hep B, Tetanus and MMS (Measles Mumps etc) prior to going to Thailand.

Thankyou.

Hi,

Thankyou for your excellent information. I will be in Surin for 6 to 12 months and my doctor in Australia is telling me I need to consider a vaccination for Japanese encephalitis.

Could you or any other learned members offer any advice on whether this vaccination is necessary for Surin please. Cost of this vaccine is AUD$300.00 and does have some rather nasty side effects some of which require hospitalization.

I have had Hep A and Typhoid already and will have Polio, Hep B, Tetanus and MMS (Measles Mumps etc) prior to going to Thailand.

Thankyou.

Also could I simply have these vaccinations in Pattaya or Surin at a more affordable cost. I will also start a course of Malaria tablets 2 days before leaving on doctore advice.

I have asked Sheryl before to sticky a vaccination recommendation thread to avoid the nonsense here. I do wish she would do it.

The vaccinations you need in Thailand depend on where you will be going and what you will be doing. Before I arrived I made sure all my usual boosters were up to date: diptheria/tetanus, and polio. I also got Typhoid and Hep A shots, due to the high odds of eating vegetables/salads washed in unclean water. Don't say it isn't possible, I recently was infected with Giardia from a salad at a very popular hotel. Typhoid and Hep A aren't out of the question.

I also recommend Hep B for everybody. It's not that I expect everybody to get drunk and forget the condom, although I have heard that happens. I advise it for protection in case medical care is needed, such as injections or drawing blood. I do not trust the more rural government hospitals to do a perfect job of sterilizing the needles, and they don't have the single-use disposable needles here like they do in the US and probably Europe. In a bus wreck, you'd be taken to the closest hospital for care, and be glad of it. No need to risk hepatitis, and it would be a risk as a large percentage of Thais are infected with Hep B.

good points made in this post.

even dr. "lube and a condom" should see the sense in this.

"Also could I simply have these vaccinations in Pattaya or Surin at a more affordable cost. I will also start a course of Malaria tablets 2 days before leaving on doctore advice."

unquote

Ask your Dr if he has ever lived in Thailand. :o

Jeeeezus, what a croc of <deleted> has been posted on this topic.

"Also could I simply have these vaccinations in Pattaya or Surin at a more affordable cost. I will also start a course of Malaria tablets 2 days before leaving on doctore advice."

unquote

Ask your Dr if he has ever lived in Thailand. :o

Jeeeezus, what a croc of <deleted> has been posted on this topic.

it's pretty obvious you've got a hate on for either doctors, doctor's advice or vaccinations, but you've never stated why.

are you scared of needles or something?

please enlighten the clueless masses....