My Toyota Fortuner Is A Shaker

Geroc

I've a Toyota Fortuner for 2 years. Good car, big, 7 seats, powerfull, economic... But so uncomfortable !

I've asked to Toyota in Pattaya about a soft modification of the shock absorbers. They have no offer. I've written to Toyota Thailand. No answer.

If someone has an idea or a solution, please let me know !

Thx a lot,

Geroc

you say its a shaker,have you tried having the wheels tracked and balanced?

I know that this sounds crazy, but what tyre pressures are you running at. When I went to pick up my new Fortuner some 18 months ago, I asked them if they had reduced the pressures - as they normally run them very high, in order to make it easy to maneouvre them in the showrooms. Sure enough the tyres were at over 55psi before they dropped them to the suggested 30psi.

I honestly can't say that I find the ride uncomfortable, but I suppose that obviously depends on what you are comparing it too. If you are comparing it to a saloon, then the comment would probably be valid, but it would be interesting to know what you using as a comparison re the ride quality, other factors accepted as to the state of the roads on which you drive, but if they are that bad; then you are still far better of in the Fortuner as against a saloon.

This sounds like source of problem to me.

It should show up when they check balance of tires but make sure all tires are round. I once had a brand new tire that was out of round.

Your probably right Ballbreaker. The vehicle is too new to suffer from worn ball joints or worn wheel bearings. If it was shaking under brakes that could be warped discs, but again unlikely.

Hi Geroc, have you fitted oversized wheels & tires? Even at 30psi they can give a rough ride!

Yes, my car has only 35000km and I checked tires recently. Toyota Pattaya admits that many customers complain of the discomfort of their Fortuner, but they have no solution.

I presume you stay in Thailand, and then you know the concrete roads are not smooth !

I've used a friend's car, a very small Toyota, and even it is really more comfortable. Many shops offer accessories for Fortuner, even for engine or brakes. Surely, some can equip the car with better shock absorbers.

Just having to find it out...

Anyway, thx for your answers.

Yes, my car has only 35000km and I checked tires recently. Toyota Pattaya admits that many customers complain of the discomfort of their Fortuner, but they have no solution.

I presume you stay in Thailand, and then you know the concrete roads are not smooth !

I've used a friend's car, a very small Toyota, and even it is really more comfortable. Many shops offer accessories for Fortuner, even for engine or brakes. Surely, some can equip the car with better shock absorbers.

Just having to find it out...

Anyway, thx for your answers.

It's not the car, what shakes. It's Pattayas Roads! Drive away from Pattaya and you will have a smooth ride as in a Jaguar.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that this sounds crazy, but what tyre pressures are you running at. When I went to pick up my new Fortuner some 18 months ago, I asked them if they had reduced the pressures - as they normally run them very high, in order to make it easy to maneouvre them in the showrooms. Sure enough the tyres were at over 55psi before they dropped them to the suggested 30psi.

I honestly can't say that I find the ride uncomfortable, but I suppose that obviously depends on what you are comparing it too. If you are comparing it to a saloon, then the comment would probably be valid, but it would be interesting to know what you using as a comparison re the ride quality, other factors accepted as to the state of the roads on which you drive, but if they are that bad; then you are still far better of in the Fortuner as against a saloon.

Bought the Fortuner new style 2009 model, when I drove off from the dealer I felt that the ride was sensative to any bump in the road surface, stopped at the nearest gas station and checked the inflation pressure in the tires, wow man, 48 PSI instead of recommended 30 PSI/2.1 kg, Released tire pressure and the ride got much smoother.

I really like the Fortuner and the kids love their own in the back seat.

The new projector front lights do the job good and I even test the ABS assisted brake system, works fine. (No kids in the ride at time) :o

Toyota says they have increased the front brake discs to a larger size than previous models. Good idea.

This sounds like source of problem to me.

It should show up when they check balance of tires but make sure all tires are round. I once had a brand new tire that was out of round.

Your probably right Ballbreaker. The vehicle is too new to suffer from worn ball joints or worn wheel bearings. If it was shaking under brakes that could be warped discs, but again unlikely.

Hi Geroc, have you fitted oversized wheels & tires? Even at 30psi they can give a rough ride!

Dont believe the worn discs doesnt happen Ive had 2 cars in the Uk both discs warped at 12000 miles, putting the brakes on caused violent shuddering.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not the car, what shakes. It's Pattayas Roads! Drive away from Pattaya and you will have a smooth ride as in a Jaguar.

Unfortunetely not ! I go often to Bkk, and around, and 2/3 times a year to Udon. There is a part of the highway, before Khorat that's especially horrible ! It's like a massage, but not comfortable...