Foreign Arrivals Drop Sharply Due To Political Turmoil

george

Foreign arrivals drop sharply due to political turmoil

BANGKOK: -- Current political turmoil has already affected tourism both in the short- and medium-term, with the number of international arrivals having fallen by 70 per cent, according to the Thai Tourism Services Association.

Charoen Wang-ananont, association president, conceded the political standoff had directly impacted the tourism business. Earlier, the association had projected the tourism boom in the fourth quarter of this year, which is the high season of every year.

In particular, a large number of Chinese tourists are likely to make overseas trip in that season since most had stayed at home in their own country in the third quarter when the 2008 Olympic Games took place. However, almost all Chinese tourists had cancelled trips to Thailand upon concern over the ongoing political unrest.

He said the number of foreign tourists had so far fallen by 70 per cent and that of local tourists by 60 per cent with the hotel room occupancy dropping by 30-40 per cent.

Mr Charoen said what operators in the tourism sector want the new government to do urgently to ease the repercussion is to lift the imposition of the State of Emergency Decree immediately and unconditionally, and administer the country in a way that helps reduce national divisiveness.

He projected the number of foreign tourists visiting Thailand would drop by 300,000 in the fourth quarter of the year.

Meanwhile, Thai Airways International president Apinant Sumanaseni said that the ongoing political unrest and the recent rallies by anti-government protesters to besiege several local airports had prompted many countries to warn their people not to visit Thailand.

It caused the number of THAI passengers, particularly from Asian countries such as China, Korea, and Japan, to drop by around 20 per cent, and that of passengers from Europe by 5-10 per cent in August.

Should the political unrest continued unabated, he said, it would definitely affect revenue and profits of the national flag carrier although global oil prices had dropped.

-- TNA 2008-09-11

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Former premier Samak offers to serve again as PM

BANGKOK: -- Former premier Samak Sundaravej on Thursday offered to return as Thailand's prime minister to head a six-party coalition government if a majority of MPs choose him again for the top post of the executive branch on Friday.

Mr. Samak, who only two days ago lost the premiership due to the Constitution Court's ruling against his activities pertaining to charges over his culinary TV shows, was quoted as saying he would gladly return as premier if a majority of MPs voted in favour of his renomination during Friday's special parliamentary session.

The ex-prime minister was quoted as saying he remained undaunted by any out-of-parliament pressure as

well as lawsuits in which he may have been found guilty. The embattled Mr. Samak told the People Power

Party (PPP) rank and file Thursday that he was determined to fight for justice and maintain democratic rule.

Mr. Samak's latest position emerged at a time when the six coalition parties, led by his own ruling PPP, resolved to remain together as before and to allow the PPP to nominate a senior party member as premier for

whom the House of Representatives will cast a vote of approval Friday.

The leadership of the respective coalition parties met shortly after the PPP MPs and members had held a

meeting at the PPP headquarters to discuss the imminent naming of a premier from among the party's rank

and file. No joint resolution was reached during the coalition parties' meeting, pending subsequent decisions

to be made by each of the coalition partners.

Other than Mr. Samak, several other PPP executives may be nominated for premiership Friday, namely Education Minister Somchai Wongsawat and Justice Minister Sompong Amornwiwat.

Meanwhile, the Isan Pattana faction inside the ruling party which reportedly has 23 MPs in one voting faction

disagreed with the idea retain Mr. Samak as head of government.

MP Paijit Srivorakhan said no resolution had been made during Thursday's PPP meeting to the extent that Mr.

Samak would be nominated premier for the House of Representatives to endorse Friday.

MP Preecha Rengsomboonsuk said over half the total of PPP MPs, or over 100 of them, no longer welcomed

Mr Samak as premier.

In particular, he added, none of the MPs in the Isan Pattana faction would vote Mr. Samak for premier again.

-- TNA 2008-09-11

BANGKOK: -- Current political turmoil has already affected tourism both in the short- and medium-term, with the number of international arrivals having fallen by 70 per cent, according to the Thai Tourism Services Association.

Charoen Wang-ananont, association president, conceded the political standoff had directly impacted the tourism business. Earlier, the association had projected the tourism boom in the fourth quarter of this year, which is the high season of every year.

In particular, a large number of Chinese tourists are likely to make overseas trip in that season since most had stayed at home in their own country in the third quarter when the 2008 Olympic Games took place. However, almost all Chinese tourists had cancelled trips to Thailand upon concern over the ongoing political unrest.

He said the number of foreign tourists had so far fallen by 70 per cent and that of local tourists by 60 per cent with the hotel room occupancy dropping by 30-40 per cent.

Mr Charoen said what operators in the tourism sector want the new government to do urgently to ease the repercussion is to lift the imposition of the State of Emergency Decree immediately and unconditionally, and administer the country in a way that helps reduce national divisiveness.

He projected the number of foreign tourists visiting Thailand would drop by 300,000 in the fourth quarter of the year.

Meanwhile, Thai Airways International president Apinant Sumanaseni said that the ongoing political unrest and the recent rallies by anti-government protesters to besiege several local airports had prompted many countries to warn their people not to visit Thailand.

It caused the number of THAI passengers, particularly from Asian countries such as China, Korea, and Japan, to drop by around 20 per cent, and that of passengers from Europe by 5-10 per cent in August.

Should the political unrest continued unabated, he said, it would definitely affect revenue and profits of the national flag carrier although global oil prices had dropped.

-- TNA 2008-09-11

Chinese tourism to Thailand dropped already in 2007, from 7,5% to under 7% of total Thai inbound tourism.

2007 China tourists: 1 Million

LaoPo

LOS=Land of Stupid (people) should be the new motto of the Samak or Somchai led government.

A government led by arrogant, stupid thieves and idiots. (and their relatives)

You ain't seen nothin yet! Here comes the violence whether it be Somchai or Samak.

This year the high season will be non existant and it may continue that way for years.

Edited by morejunk

LOS=Land of Stupid (people) should be the new motto of the Samak or Somchai led government.

You ain't seen nothin yet! Here comes the violence whether it be Somchai or Samak.

This year the high season will be non existant and it may continue that way for years.

totally agree with that ,we aint seen nothing yet

-- TNA 2008-09-11

What else did you (they) expect???

The international image of Thailand is being damaged by this situation in ways that will take a long time for it to recover.

Is it/will it be safe for tourists in the (suppossedly) coming high season?

Most likely yes, but under today's global economic situation, the World offers far too many alternatives in price and service to be worth risking it for a lot of people. The tourists are also suffering their own countries' situations. They want to book now their New Year holiday without having to worry about riots, airports open or closed or dangerous cooking programs on tv.

cheaper flights and good deals to be had soon then

Would be good but they will probably just drop flights off the list and charge the same ! It' hard enough to get a good (priced) fare out of Phuket now especially after the shut down of Nok Air. Only leaves Thai, Bangkok and Air Asia. Company is flying me out through Hong Kong now and I have a 6 hr wait to get out to Heathrow. Via Bangkok it was almost straight through. :o

Former premier Samak offers to serve again as PM

BANGKOK: -- Former premier Samak Sundaravej on Thursday offered to return as Thailand's prime minister to head a six-party coalition government if a majority of MPs choose him again for the top post of the executive branch on Friday.

Mr. Samak, who only two days ago lost the premiership due to the Constitution Court's ruling against his activities pertaining to charges over his culinary TV shows, was quoted as saying he would gladly return as premier if a majority of MPs voted in favour of his renomination during Friday's special parliamentary session.

<<Snip>>

-- TNA 2008-09-11

The man has been found guilty of a conflict of interest. In most civilized places this would be enough for the powers that be to dump him. Now he wants to make a Lazarath like come back.

Where is the shaking the head smilie when you need one.

-- TNA 2008-09-11

uh???? does anybody check these figures nefore putting them in writing? they just don't make any sence at all

He said the number of foreign tourists had so far fallen by 70 per cent and that of local tourists by 60 per cent with the hotel room occupancy dropping by 30-40 per cent

He projected the number of foreign tourists visiting Thailand would drop by 300,000 in the fourth quarter of the year

I'm sure the political side of life has dampned thing. But there really is much more to it, they have made it an expensive destination. They keep hammering to keep the baht strong well news flash people for the most part don't have as much fun money as they did three years ago.

They want to think of it a a world class destination another flash if I was jet set type this would be very low on my list of places to go.

Look at the prices of Condos these days, I could but one cheaper in Hawwaii with a nice ocean view. They were unrealistic. What the price of entertainment these days, Thatis just nuts from the last I heard three times as much as my housekeeper makes in week for one night out on the town. Get real.

You know it's time they look at what built them in the first place and stop looking down their noses at it.

They began shooting themsleves in the foot years ago, not yesterday. What was that a pig and lipstick.

I'm happy to say that I'm not in that mess anymore. I have what I sit out for when came here a family and a home.

I thinks it's about time to look at what they do have and not what they wished it to be.

I think they have already missed out on the baby boomer retirees, who bring nothing but money in and take none out year after year. How is that person recognized one year at a time. It is real act of faith to tkae your live savinas an inves it in a place that next year may say sorry we changed our minds.

Unlike a lot of guys I had nothing much to lose only had $ 6k in the bank still do, so I can't be hurt. Would I recommend someone to sale homes in thier home coutnry to come here and have a safe secure life, no way.

They are so busy chasing that all mighty tourist dollar they don't realize what they do have. Very short sided thinking.

This is a great retirement location, good climate, friendly people for the most part as long as you don't stick your foot at them :o All this rambling about Politics really doesn't effect our lives.

What's lacking the assurance that when you take that money form that life time and bring it here, that you can stay until your death.

Well go chase that tourist dollar. But, your not the only place in the world to go and you have priced yourself out of the market for the Average guy.

I love thailand and hate to see it happen but Thailand has done it to itself.

Again shot itself in the foot,god help us all if Samak is voted back as pm tommorrow.ime off to Cambodge on Monday lock stock and barrell.. More user freindly to Barang over there "

Tourism down, understandable. It is good to see the conflict has not escalated into any serious violence.

By the by, when did Thailand become Barang unfriendly? :o

Would be good but they will probably just drop flights off the list and charge the same ! It' hard enough to get a good (priced) fare out of Phuket now especially after the shut down of Nok Air. Only leaves Thai, Bangkok and Air Asia. Company is flying me out through Hong Kong now and I have a 6 hr wait to get out to Heathrow. Via Bangkok it was almost straight through. :o

They will rely on star/alliance and gold card loyalty plus biz class to carry them through

A government that the majority of the Thai people want, proved by them being voted in at the last two elections. It's just the "money men" in Bangkok who don't like them and therefore the normal up country Thais won't ever have a voice in their own country!

Dictatorship anyone..??

Again shot itself in the foot,god help us all if Samak is voted back as pm tommorrow.ime off to Cambodge on Monday lock stock and barrell.. More user freindly to Barang over there "

Not as rocking and rolling as Thailand , but wwwaaayyy freindlier to tourists and xpats , that goes from government ease of visas all the way down to the common working man , smiles are given as a true smile , not one to be interpreted in 6 different ways . Sure there are many things one misses when first coming from Thailand , but as one peruses the news or scans TV postings , putting aside the 'I wanna be a Thai types' it is a relief to have gotten away from all that has declined in Thailand , from disenchantment to lack of appreciation for what tourists/expats have done to improve the life style of many a poor Thai .

Looking from the outside in gives one a far different perpective than living and accepting what the Thais hand out to their 'Guests' , people in general are far more honest and actualy care somewhat when help is given . Walk a mile in the shoes-------

It is a tragedy, but as most of us are farang and hold no voting power, we should also hold our breath. It's a learning process, isn't it? And on their way to a truly fair society Thailand might find a better solution than that advocated by the Western world for so long. Comunism never worked, dit it? Capitalism neither. So lets hope for some good, new ideas. Cookism? No, seriously farangs lost their vote a long time ago, bringing only bloodshed and hatred to this worl, maybe a new and true belief can emerge from this minor unrest.

XXXXXXXXXX

A government that the majority of the Thai people want, proved by them being voted in at the last two elections. It's just the "money men" in Bangkok who don't like them and therefore the normal up country Thais won't ever have a voice in their own country!

Dictatorship anyone..??

Should there not be a ditto in there somewhere ?

Tourism down, understandable. It is good to see the conflict has not escalated into any serious violence.

By the by, when did Thailand become Barang unfriendly? :o

A good few years ago , or does your head find it too friendly in the clouds to have noticed ? .

I love thailand and hate to see it happen but Thailand has done it to itself.

It is indeed a tragedy to see such stupid self serving people controlling the uneducated masses of wonderful sweet hearted poor people. Makes me feel quite sick. Wish i cloud do something other than just look on from the outside. FEEL SAD!

What saddens me is it is the small businesses that will suffer and lose what little they have managed to build on tourist money, the thai elite really don't give a flying about a drop in tourism - their fingers are in plenty of pies to see them through a rough patch. Anyways, with the credit crunch, recession and the exchange rate at 60 baht to the pound, Thailand is not looking such a value for money destination for most UK travellers. Thailand? More likely Torquay..... :o

Not as rocking and rolling as Thailand , but wwwaaayyy freindlier to tourists and xpats , that goes from government ease of visas all the way down to the common working man , smiles are given as a true smile , not one to be interpreted in 6 different ways . Sure there are many things one misses when first coming from Thailand , but as one peruses the news or scans TV postings , putting aside the 'I wanna be a Thai types' it is a relief to have gotten away from all that has declined in Thailand , from disenchantment to lack of appreciation for what tourists/expats have done to improve the life style of many a poor Thai .

Looking from the outside in gives one a far different perpective than living and accepting what the Thais hand out to their 'Guests' , people in general are far more honest and actualy care somewhat when help is given . Walk a mile in the shoes-------

A slight over reaction given the circumstances don't you think? What did you expect to hear ? tourism up? Nice try but not the real reason you failed here and yes your post is very transparent in that regard :o

Not every Thai benefits from tourism and the increase in farang. Prices rise dramatically, rents rise, services go down, water shortages occur, etc. The drop in tourism caused by the recent political turmoil may end up doing more good than harm to Thai people, excluding filthy rich hotel and airline owners.

Actually they already did both the above - Around 2 weeks ago too!. I have a provisional booking to fly Malta - Bangkok on december 22nd with emirates. At time of booking it was 1480 Euro.

Last week Emirates was selling the same flight on the same date for 1260 Euro.

Today its 1340 Euro but what is interesting is that a section is now operated by Thai Airways (i.e. the airlines are so empty they have to combine flights)

It is a tragedy, but as most of us are farang and hold no voting power, we should also hold our breath. It's a learning process, isn't it? And on their way to a truly fair society Thailand might find a better solution than that advocated by the Western world for so long. Comunism never worked, dit it? Capitalism neither. So lets hope for some good, new ideas. Cookism? No, seriously farangs lost their vote a long time ago, bringing only bloodshed and hatred to this worl, maybe a new and true belief can emerge from this minor unrest.

Wouldn't that require intelligent minds? This place is seriously lacking in any sort of governing capabilities and you expect/hope for a new way of life to come out of this? If that ever does happen, which it someday must in order to move beyond the mess this world has been mired in (increasingly) since humans figured out how to turn rocks into weapons, Thailand surely won't be the epicenter of any such movement. I like people with hope, but that's beyond even a dream.