Why Do They Want 200 Thb At The Border?

Just getting sick of all harassments when you should do your border runs.

First when you arrive at the border there is a lot of "visaservice" and they fill in all papers for you and want money sure and then when you stamp in to Cambodia they want 200 THB if you want to leave the same day.

I have payed just one time and all other times when I was aked how long will I stay....I use to answer like,,,, Not for sure yet but i will stay here for AWHILE and no other comments and a stamp in the passport and then cross the street and stamp out and bake home to Thailand again for another 90 days at my NON-o visa multiple entries.

So...no need to pay any money unless you dont want to give the officers from your heart.

If there have been like in Malaysia then no fee for visa so why should Cambodia have this ridiculous rules?

yes true, it's like malaysia, when i see the number of people daily going in and out in a minutes, they are very nice to let us do.

on another side, everytime i'm going to sadao, there's an overtime charge by the thai officers wich does apply after 4PM, they ask for 10 bath and they won't give back the change so better have the coins at hand...

yes true, it's like malaysia, when i see the number of people daily going in and out in a minutes, they are very nice to let us do.

Thailand still has a long way to go to catch Malaysia in the tourist-friendly department.

The 200 baht is not a legal fee and is merely pocket money for the authorities. It's not helping the country. I have refused to pay before and got in and out fine. They don't really have a right to do that but they could refuse you entry as they have every right to refuse entry to anybody, really.

They just collect that money because they feel you are abusing entering their country being next to Thailand just so you can enter their country for one minute and then go back to Thailand. It's a "tip" in their eyes but you don't have to pay. Just say you are going to Angkor Wat, go walk around for an hour or two in the border town, and then come back and leave. You may or may not have to pay but they always seem to collect the 200 baht when you enter the country so you're free and clear after that. When I didn't pay the guy at the counter when I left seemed to know I didn't pay when coming in and gave me some smiles but he didn't say anything. Just all in how you handle it.

Edited by Jimjim

The system is corrupt...I have already payed a visa fee for about 1000 THB and if they want more why dont they increase the visa fee?

Actually if Thailand have been little smart in this case they should let the ppl the have to do border runs to get extension for 30 days for 1.900 THB

I rather pay the country I am staying in than paying a corrupt immigration police in Cambodia

Maybe in a future I dont have to do any border runs if i got my retirement extension granted in november,,need to have the money in the bank for at least 3 months.

I am not complaining but i dont support criminal polices....

I do not disagree with you that the system is currupt, at least in some aspects.

We choose to stay in a certain place where we are not citizens, then we have to do what it takes to stay there.

The requirements are different for different people, depending upon our circumstances.

By a little planning and some luck, I have had to do one real "visa run" since June 2004 when I started my stay here. That one was enough of a pain in the ass, to me anyway. I cannot imagine doing that every month, as many did back in the days of unlimited visa-exempt stamps.

Hopefully you can get to the point where you do not have to do runs anymore, just the 90-day reports.

Good luck to you.