Shipping Things To Thailand,need Info On Duty Fees And Residency

I've been living in Thailand for almost four year and married to a Thai citizen for almost two. I currently have a non immigrant "O" visa. I read you can import personal items duty free if your a resident or becoming a resident, does the marriage license qualify me as a resident or do I need to go for a marriage visa,which I'm planning on doing soon anyway. I would sure appreciate any information on the residency requirements and any other information on the importing process, like, should I be present in Bangkok when the stuff arrives or should I just let the agent deal with it?

thanks

To be able to ship your belongings duty free to Thailand you would heve to be on the first extension of stay of your non-immigrant and have a work permit. Seems you do do not qualify.

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/House...nuNme=HouseHold

Mario, you say you must be on "extension of stay".

The Link you posted says:

Nonresidents granted to work in Thailand

will be regarded as resuming residents in Thailand provided they

have a one-year non-immigrant visa issued by the Immigration Department.

No mention of extension of stay. Can it be done on 1 year non-"o" with work permit?

Marvo, that web site says “one-year non-immigrant visa” but means “one-year extension of stay”. A lot of web sites, including sites of government ministries and departments, make this mistake, even the site of the Immigration Bureau uses “visa extension” when they mean “extension of stay”

--

Maestro

Marvo, that web site says "one-year non-immigrant visa" but means "one-year extension of stay". A lot of web sites, including sites of government ministries and departments, make this mistake, even the site of the Immigration Bureau uses "visa extension" when they mean "extension of stay"

--

Maestro

Thanks for clearing that up for me Maestro :o .

Bringing all my "stuff" over next year is going to take a little more effort then.

I've been living in Thailand for almost four year and married to a Thai citizen for almost two. I currently have a non immigrant "O" visa. I read you can import personal items duty free if your a resident or becoming a resident, does the marriage license qualify me as a resident or do I need to go for a marriage visa,which I'm planning on doing soon anyway. I would sure appreciate any information on the residency requirements and any other information on the importing process, like, should I be present in Bangkok when the stuff arrives or should I just let the agent deal with it?

thanks

I would go to Bangkok, I had all my stuff as you call it shipped to Thailand. 5 pallets containing 96 boxes

i recieved 76 boxs, as far i know the other 20 boxs were stolen, so beware.

Hi,

I managed to get my stuff imported without duty, (Except for a small charge for computer peripherals). I must admit I found the regulations fairly complex.. This was the best and easiest to digest website regarding the importation of personal effects... I hope it helps.

www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/HouseholdEffects/HouseholdEffects.jsp?menuNme=HouseHold

Edited by Murgatroyd

Two years ago my Thai wife and I shipped our household goods from the U.S., in a container, to Thailand. It was all done in my wifes name. Thai customs required a list of all items. We had the shipping agent take care of everything, the only problem we had was Thai customs wanted import duties on the wine we tried to bring in. I told them to keep the wine, they cut the tax in half and the shipping agent paid half of that, we kept the wine.

For the wife too import duty free she must have been abroad in the country where the shipment originates for 1 year uninterrupted. If you and your wife have been here for 4 years already then it is too late to import. Legally that is. Tea money can do wonders, but then how much do you pay??? I would ask an expert if I were you. I've only done this about 1,500 times so I am new to the business.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, I can't let this one go yet...

Marvo, that web site says "one-year non-immigrant visa" but means "one-year extension of stay". A lot of web sites, including sites of government ministries and departments, make this mistake, even the site of the Immigration Bureau uses "visa extension" when they mean "extension of stay"

--

Maestro

If this is the case Meastro, then does that mean I need to be earning minimum 50,000 baht a month in order to qualify for an annual extension of stay and therefore be able to import my "stuff" duty free?

Another point is... can the annual extension of stay be applied for at any time during in the validity of a 1 year non-im O viasa? i.e. is it linked to the validity of your "permission to stay" or to the visa itself?

The customs site says:

It is important that the used/secondhand household effects must be imported not earlier than one month before or not later than six months after the arrival of the importers.

...does that mean I need to be earning minimum 50,000 baht a month in order to qualify for an annual extension of stay and therefore be able to import my "stuff" duty free?...

Unless your are a teacher, that minimum salary applies for an extension of stay for work.

--

Maestro

...does that mean I need to be earning minimum 50,000 baht a month in order to qualify for an annual extension of stay and therefore be able to import my "stuff" duty free?...

Unless your are a teacher, that minimum salary applies for an extension of stay for work.

--

Maestro

"Extension of stay for work"

Understood :o

• 11 months later...

I would appreciate any advice on shipping items to Thailand. I will be moving from New York City by the end of this year and obtaining an ED Visa (from Thai language school). Items to be shipped will be all non-furniture (books, desktop PC and printer, clothes, and other personal items). Any advice from people who shared a similar experience would be greatly appreciated, websites to check out, customs, duty fees, etc. I am a novice at this. Thanks very much!

Bring the items with you as (excess?) baggage, on the first or subsequent trips.

1. Strip the PC down and bring only the motherboard and disk(s).

2. Forget the printer, buy a new one when you arrive.

3. Remember Thailand is hot, do you really need the clothes?

4. Think carefully about what books to pack