Ipstar satellite internet got cheaper now

Luma

I have IPstar since a couple of months now, and are very happy with it

That's all very well, but how does it go during heavy rain?

- I'm on a remote island smack bang in the middle of Monsoon Central - and I have heard numerous times that these K-band satellites cut out in any sort of cloud cover.

Similar I would imagine to my UBC satellite - first sign of rain and no TV for me... :o

For the money I believe I should get an 'always-on' connection.

Are the upload/download speeds as good as the 256k/128k advertised?

Any others with experience in IPSTar or an alternative satellite internet communications (eg VSAT) please post your thoughts.  Pearl farming isn't much fun without the web...

If its like UBC (uses the same satelite), then all you need is a storm in Bangkok, and you're download will be affected. The amount of times that UBC reception has been bad, and the weather is fine where I am (not Bangkok) makes me think that it can only be raining in Bangkok!

IS 3,500 a month for unlimited access?

Depends on which plan you're on - 3500 baht is a cheaper plan so there is a limit on how many Mb you can download.

I use a VSAT system now (Myanmar Govt approved) but the downside is it costs just over USD$1000 per month.

However I get unlimited download and it is ALWAYS ON, 24 hours a day, even in the worst tropical storm.

Plus, it includes a telephone which can make free calls inside Myanmar, and receive overseas calls.

not bad, but just wonder if IPStar might be better - cost vs reliability   :cool:

Guest IT Manager

For the record, there are several IpStar services starting at 750 Mb per month (up/down) for 3,000 baht, 1500 Mb/4500 per month. All are explained at www.cscoms.com use the ink to ipstar.

It does not use the same satellite as UBC though it is in the same bit of sky. I was told Thaicom 3 is the bird used and thaicom4 is UBC. I am only repeating the statement of a brown brother so anything is possible. It sits at 235+ degrees declination abuot 60 degrees from horizontal.

Optimum speed is 256/128, actual is less but still very <deleted> fast compared to wallowing in the mud with loxley.

Have also linked it to a wireless network, so I can do e-mail when in the bog, instead of the telegraph crossword.

Altogether quite cool.

details at www.chiangmaimall.com/hardhat

I have contacted a shop in Udon Thani mentioned on the CS Ip Star web site re using the service.

They have quoted 50,000 baht initial set up costs? This differs from the 15,000 baht mentioned on the website?

Is anyone in Issan using the Satellite Internet service? Nong Bua area

Pete

I live in buriram province and have had IPSTAR for 6 months - very pleased with it.

Only had outages for a few hours here and there - Once no internet from outside thailand - as all external links were down.

Very heavy rain will affect the connection but just heavyish is OK. I can lose my UBC picture but still have a net connection.

When I had it installed - Installation was 20k and I paid 2 months in advance for the 7k / month deal (but not the VAT for the 2 months) so initial costs were 34 k -

Installation is now cheaper so I think you should only have to pay 29k down.- if opting for the 7k per month scheme -

I made initial contact with CS Internet by email from the UK and they gave me the address for a company in Buriram whom I went to and made the 34k payment - Installation was about 2 weeks later.

:o

• 3 weeks later...
I use IPStar express (256/128kbps).

However, my download speed is regularly indicated at 48-52 kbps.

What's up? This is all greek to me.

Ryan,

Chiang Mai

kbps = kiloBITS per second

KBps = KiloBYTES per second

as 1 bytes = 8 bit + some slushy overhead, you can roughtly calculate with 1 KBps = 10 kbps.

• 2 weeks later...

Some tips on IPTV...

I have noticed that sometimes the VPN link is erring and bringing down your speed. Easy to resolve by disconnecting your vpn connection and connect again(no phone costs, your modem stays connected).

Second possibility is using their second VPN server. Just change netturbo.cscoms.com to netturbo1.cscoms.com

I have never had speeds lower then 200Kb/sec....

Also IPTV is on Thaicom1, which is in a complete different direction then the UBC sattelite(Thaicom3)

I'm thinking about signing up for IPStar too.

But I was wondering, do you need to have both IPStar and some seperate ISP for the internet? Or do you only need IPStar and only have to pay one monthly fee?

I was reading about DSL in Thailand and it's confusing to me to have to pay a fee for DSL and another fee for the ISP; so I was curious if IPStar worked the same.

Thanks.

I live in The Northern Villege call Doi Tao, using a phone connection was hopeless, where as i was disconnected about every 3 min, and redialed. costing 3b per dialup, pluse the cost of the ISP. I decided to give IPTV a try, and it was the same every 3 min i was disconected. Now i'm stuck with the IPTV Dish and modem (What To With It?) I next went to IP STar, and for the first 8 months , it was down more than it was up, paying 5000b plus vat tax. Then 3 months ago they deliever a new box that has change everything my connection is pretty good, most of the time. Upload and down load speed varies. But i have never got the speed adverstized. My connection speed remains at 100 Mbps what every that means, and my fee has gone down to 3000b and 200b vat for 750 mgs of data per monthThe afternoon rain will slow me to a standstill, With data transfer. Over All after 3 year in Thailand , I'm Please with the service, after all this is Thailand , and nothing is 100%. Biggist complaint is when calling for help, It is a long distance call, very expensive, i think that if you live in a rea where phone lines are reliable that the IPTV is the best option but if you live in the mountains like me the IPSTAR System is the only simi reliable obtion