Reliable Car Maintenance

thebounder

Ever since buying my Vigo truck nearly 3 years ago, I have taken it to the Toyota garage, just north of Pattaya, where I bought it for servicing. Up to the 50,000 kms service, there were no real problems, but at 50k they told me my brakes needed replacing (presumably this meant new brake discs). It cost about 3,000 Baht.

So I was somewhat surprised when at the next service, 60k, they told me they needed replacing again. I am really not very hard on the brakes. I thought this was rather odd, no problem for 50,000 and then replaced again after only another 10k, but when it comes to cars, I don't know very much and so simply had it done and paid the bill. It recently went in for its 70k service and once again they told me it needed new brakes. I may be wrong, but this really didn't feel right. So I told them to leave it and decided I would have it checked out somewhere else. Problem is I don't really know anyone who I can trust. So if anyone knows a mechanic or a garage that is trustworthy that they could recommend, it would be much appreciated.

I take my car for service and repairs to a little car repair shop just off the Sukhumvit. Go onto the Sukumvit at Pattayaklang towards Naklua, just a few hundred metres up very close to the Orphanage, the little repair shop is there (not actualy on the sukhumvit, its on the little side road very close to the Sukhumvit), I will try to find better directions for you when my partner returns from work. very reasonable, and very quick - and most important, certainly not rip offs. I will try to get the actual soi and the phone number if you want. I have been going there for about 5 years with no complaints, they are very helpful.

Both Toyota garages are not the best for every thnig, they will and do take the piss.

i only use them for major engine or electrical work.

they are good for that.

but brakes, motor starts, exhausts, tyres, filters, oil changes, use some of the smaller places.

The thing that put me off Toyota, is they keept telling my wife the power stearing pump is (no good, it will die)

that was 1.5 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, its still fine.

they also fcuked me about over a Motor starter. (pissed me right off after waitting 3 hours).

Edited by plasticpig

I have used the same garage for the latter 3 vehicles and 15 years with excellent service.

It is located just of sukhumvit road at Naklu. As you come towards pattaya at the traffic lights and under the pedestrian bridge, turn left after a hundresd meters ( the first turning ) and it is two hundred meters on the left side.

They will insist on showing you what they are doing and you can inspect the parts yourself, in the case of brake linings there is eyesight in it if they are badly worn.

To me it is always better to wait around and watch them whlist they do the repairs. Always insist on the old parts even if you just sling them later. Make sure you have a plastic bag to carry the old sometimes oily parts.

This garage was intially reccomended to me by a good genuine Thai freind as he is well aware of some of the rip-off practices around the town.

Cheers

It's all very well being shown the parts, but you still have to be sure they are yours!

I notice many garages are very keen you shown get a bag full of the parts they have replaced.....it actually makes me a little suspicious at times.

If you want to be really sure about things like filters and brakes, MARK them before you go in. This is sometinmes awkard and messy but it will give you a definite answer....especially if the y show you a set of worn out pads that weren't off your car.

I had to have a quick repair done in Chonburi the other day, and apart from not carrying out the repair they replaced several items that didn't need replacing...they are now explaining to their boss why they weren't paid!

For standard type repairs try a place called OOD Service Center on Sukumvit right off Pattaya Klang - next to the big gas station.

They deal with plenty of Farangs and seem to keep their prices competitive

Every time he has done work for me I hjave asked for a quote and its always under what he quoted, good work, reliable and fast too.