Breakfast In Chiang Mai,where?

pargiyon

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think mad dogs is wonderful for its food, its prices. nick is a nice person to talk to and tries hard to satisfy his customers. most of the staff have been there for a while and they have always served me well.

for whatever is worth, i feel that if you experience something bad with any business, why not talk to the owners or the management about it?

Rose cafe.... Rachamanka road I think, owned by a German guy.... has a sign outside saying "Second best pizza in Chiangmai"

Walk about 400m down Ratchamanka road, opposite the U-turn just before Johns place.

Go down Ratchamanka, past the internet cafe on the right, go past Tiger pub on the left and it's on the corner of the first crossroads.

If you come out the soi of Smile guest house and turn right you can't miss it.

American breakfast, German breakfast and the best British breakfast I've found in Chiangmai. British, german and american sausages all available. Good bacon and baked beans or hash browns, 2 cups of tea or coffee plus a small OJ for 120bht.

I can only agree. The place is called Rose Guest House and the German owner's name is Gyspsy who has worked in Chiang Mai for 20 years. Used to be the road manager for groups such as Oasis. I usually have the english breakfast which offers 2 eggs (your choice of fried, boiled or scrambled) bacon, sausages, baked beans, tomatoes and toast and marmalade. Two cups of coffee or tea. All other items on the menu, both western and Thai, are of the same excellent quality.

I can only agree. The place is called Rose Guest House and the German owner's name is Gyspsy who has worked in Chiang Mai for 20 years. Used to be the road manager for groups such as Oasis. I usually have the english breakfast which offers 2 eggs (your choice of fried, boiled or scrambled) bacon, sausages, baked beans, tomatoes and toast and marmalade. Two cups of coffee or tea. All other items on the menu, both western and Thai, are of the same excellent quality.

Good old Eghart, aka Gypsy. He's an old friend and been around a long time in various restaurants. But a word of warning!! Don't ever play golf with the guy, if you do you'll swear off the game for the rest of your life.

As for him being the road manager for Oasis, I find that highly unlikely as the band formed in 1991. As you say Gypsy has been in Chiang Mai for 20 years or more, so unless Oasis did a tour around the north of Thailand in that time I am sure he was not running the band.

Edited by Blinky Bill

Out of order!

Mad Dog is one of the few places one can visit in Chiang Mai and see the same staff time after time, I can't believe that would happen if the boss didn't treat them well. Admittedly there have been some new faces recently but that has been mainly down to staff getting married and going out into the big wide world with their respective new hubbies.

I've been going to Mad Dog for 7 years, the manager, cashier and cook have not changed in that time and I believe they have been with the place since Nick took it on.

JxP

Agreed Muck!!

I have known Cookie and Gai for a lot longer than they have worked for Nick. They both once worked for an old friend of mine, a loveable and generous Aussie guy (Good looking fellah as well).

Fon has been there since the first days and would have to be one of the most loyal staff a boss could wish for, she's sometimes a bit serious but never out of order. The always smiling Teng Mo has sadly, gone to the UK. (She might be back :D but that's another story.) Am is in Canada and happy. She was never anything but bright and cheerful and good fun. There are a few new girls now, but in my opinion they are always pleasant and do their jobs well (but none as well as Teng Mo of course :o) . Wherever I go I always try to smile and be polite and most times the response is similar. Some of you angry old farts should try to do the same.

Nick is an old mate and runs a bloody good business. If Maddog were as bad as a few posters have suggested how could the place be as popular as it is. It is very rare that the place has no customers and at times every seat in the place is taken........all year round.

The food is good and the beer is cold. Prices are just fine too.

Does it matter if all restaurant owners are not annoying, in your face, loud mouth, self opinionated/gratifying hosts? Nick certainly isn't that and until he is I will continue to patronise the place.

Edited by Blinky Bill

BREAKFAST : I've never tried, but I've heard many good comments about THE MAD DOG.

Breakfast at BAKE & BITE is excellent too, a bit pricy though.

OK, a bit pricey by Thai standards, but it is pretty good for American breakfast. I'm a breakfast person (can eat breakfast food for dinner, actually). Bake & Bite is right in the part of town I usually stay at, not far from the Night Bizaar, too.

I'm not sure what the OP meant by bhupa, though it was obvious they weren't looking for Thai.

I'll have to try some of the other places mentioned, though, next time I'm there. I'm hungry just thinking about it.

I used to like Mad Dog when the traffic was minimal on certain nights. But in the light of day. Drinking my coffee and reading my paper I like it quiet, and in a controlled atmosphere. Temperature etc.. Mad Dogs is a bit too exposed. Night time activities it works for me. Last time I was there I think I got the bartender on a bad night because she was mean spirited. But everyone can have a bad night I guess.

i have never been asked for a bar fine? :o so that mght be the problem. :D

It's never been that sort of place.

However, nearly all the girls are 'great fun' if you meet them a few hours after work in Bubble, Hotshots or Spicy when they're drunk. I know from personal experience. In this respect they're no different from most British young women.

I used to help Taengmo write her Emails to 'old flames' and even helped her complete her UK visa application. Fon used to come to my room at 4am after she had finished the contents of a half bottle of mekhong. Em must have been a holiday romance for most of the young male backpackers who ever came through CM before she went to Canada. Gai is a lovely girl. Cookie is great.

Still won't go back. Plenty of harbours in CM to drop my anchor and I'll choose ones where staff don't pour my drinks down the sink when I tell them I've been overcharged. I'm sure many peope are still happy with the place - great.

Edited by Loaded

further to this morning i'd like to recommend the eggs benedict at art cafe by the tha pae gate. bloody gorgeous it was.
Just back from Art Cafe where I had fresh orange juice, eggs benedict which comes with fried potatoes. Also had a decent cup of coffee. 180baht. Couldn't eat it daily but for the occasional breakfast very good indeed.

This is my favorite too whenever I'm forced to go down into the big city. The biscuits and sausage gravy are great there also.

Find it hard to understand the negative comments regarding the Mad Dog.

Been going there while it was the Overlander and never had any problems then

or now.

Staff have always been friendly

g

Allen from Perth who used to run the Overlander was quite the charming Aussie gentleman. :o

Good old Eghart, aka Gypsy. He's an old friend and been around a long time in various restaurants. But a word of warning!! Don't ever play golf with the guy, if you do you'll swear off the game for the rest of your life.

As for him being the road manager for Oasis, I find that highly unlikely as the band formed in 1991. As you say Gypsy has been in Chiang Mai for 20 years or more, so unless Oasis did a tour around the north of Thailand in that time I am sure he was not running the band.

Sorry Lads - my mistake not Gypsy's. Maybe too many wobblypops... but then the wine carafes in Rose Guest House are also very, very good

I haven't been to Mad Dog for over a year, but when I was there last the brekkie was very good.

Even though it is in the primary backpacker area behind Somphet Market, I think Blue Diamond deserves a mention here too.

Great hill tribe coffee, nice crispy wholemeal buns they bake themselves, option to get avocado as spread instead of butter/margarine during the avocado season; the bacon is always nice and crispy and their veggies fresh.

• 2 weeks later...

further to this morning i'd like to recommend the eggs benedict at art cafe by the tha pae gate. bloody gorgeous it was.
Just back from Art Cafe where I had fresh orange juice, eggs benedict which comes with fried potatoes. Also had a decent cup of coffee. 180baht. Couldn't eat it daily but for the occasional breakfast very good indeed.
This is my favorite too whenever I'm forced to go down into the big city.

Based on those posts above, I went to Art Cafe for Eggs Benedict breakfast.

I won't make that mistake again.

As so often happens when Thai cooks try to prepare European dishes, the Eggs Benedict looked like they should, but so much else about the food wasn't quite right.

I'll start with the best features and work down.

The potatoes were nice.

Honest chips (not French fries), with skins on, cooked just right: brown and crispy outside, soft inside.

Most likely frozen chips, because did not taste like Thailand-grown, yellow potatoes, and that's fine with me.

Poached eggs done perfectly.

Eggs in Thailand have wonderful flavour.

These were cooked to a perfect state of softness-firmness.

Couldn't ask for better on the eggs.

If I'd just ordered poached eggs and fried potatoes it would have been a pleasant breakfast.

But I had to go and order full-on Eggs Benedict.

Eggs Benedict are normally served with Canadian bacon, lightly grilled.

Bacon strips are nice, too.

But Art Cafe saw fit to use sandwich-loaf.

Two, thin, square, slices, of processed meat, neatly folded, on top of each English muffin.

As factory-made, ham-loaf goes, it was tasty enough, and not at all salty.

It would make an eatable ham and cheese sandwich on a discount airline flight.

But on Eggs Benedict it was a cheap and unwelcome substitute for honest bacon.

The English muffins were ... sad.

They weren't proper English muffins, with a sprinkling of corn meal outside, and a chewy texture inside.

No, these were merely round slices of white bread.

And neither grilled nor toasted.

However, the bread was soaked with warm water.

I expect the cook lifted the poached eggs right from pan, and -- without draining -- placed them on top of the muffins.

So some warm water soaked into the raw, white bread, underneath.

I won't describe the texture of that.

Well, on to the sauce.

Eggs Benedict are served with Hollandaise sauce: key ingredients are egg yolks and lemon.

The result is yellow and creamy, with a hint of tartness.

At Art Cafe, the sauce was indeed yellow and it was creamy, but it had no taste; none at all!

We can't expect perfect Hollandaise sauce in a tourist restaurant on this side of the world.

But this was totally tasteless.

Even Hollandaise sauce in a jar from Carrefour would have been fine with me, and far better than what Art Cafe offered.

Finally, the fresh-squeezed, orange juice was bitter.

With all the sweet oranges everywhere in Thailand, there's no excuse for serving bitter orange juice.

So, breakfast in Chiangmai, where?

If today's breakfast is a valid sample, the answer is not Art Cafe.

Edited by Oneman

I'm not sure what to say about the Egg's Benedict at Art Cafe except for I usually like them and they are much better than at Bourbon Street in Bangkok which is quite a famous restaurant. I know a lot of other people who prefer them at Art Cafe also.

They do serve ham instead of Canadian Bacon (Bake and Bite has Canadian Bacon), but with the Hollandaise sauce - which is usually OK - I don't mind. The English muffins vary from trip to trip, but again, covered with the Hollandaise sauce, they are acceptable to me, even though they are not great. Most people say that the English Muffins are less tasty at Bake and Bite, so they like Art Cafe better.

Everyone has their own standards, but I much rather have Art Cafe or Bake and Bite's Eggs Benedict, than Bourbon Street's or none at all. I am a lot more particular about tender beef or bacon I guess as both can really bother me if not tender.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I am one of the 3 who recommended the eggs benedict but I do confess to having switched the ham to bacon and the meal is better for it. I agree that there are better hollandaise sauces out there but for 130baht or so I think it's excellent value.

Coincidentally I was in the Art Cafe today and had poached eggs / hash browns / sausage patty and toast which again was fine and came it a grand total of 115baht. I also had orange juice and enjoyed that so I guess at the end of the day it's all about personal preferences.

Have been to Art Cafe several times and overall not too bad. Here is my question for UG. How do you get them to do the sausage gravy???? The first time I ordered the bisquits and SAUSAGE gravy they gave me mushroon instead. I just chalked it up to a simple mistake. Last time when ordering I related my first experience to the waitress (in several languages but not in Thai). So when the order arrived, you guessed it! Drowning in mushrooms. Nicely sliced and so obvious that they were. The waitress told me those things shaped like and tasting like mushrooms were in fact sausages. She even went to the touchscreen computer screen to check my order and then declared "see...you order sausage gravy,not mushroom!" To her this proved it. So what's the trick??? Thought about ordering the shroom gravy next time just hoping...

I have never has sausage gravy in the U.S. and when I have had it in biscuits in Thailand, I wasn't crazy about it.

The Art Cafe used to have a SOS special with ground beef instead of toast and if you ask Kulab (the owner) she will have them make it for you.