Can't Believe Anybody Could Eat/enjoy This "food"

Lopburi99

Extract of cow or sheep's mammary glands mixed with bile (drained from stomach/liver) infused with bacteria and then left to ferment.....mmmm delicious!

Isn't about the same which would be found in a butcher house's sewer? Tell me kedawi, what food do you find repulsive? Maybe something like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?

(These posts are light hearted, nobody takes offense I hope :o Dramatically different cultures and tastes are interesting [and enlightening] to discuss.)

I'm sorry but that's Blue Cheese - Stilton or Roquefort ...take your pick..... (actually is fungus not not bacteria)

Edited by kedawi

I love the way some posters of non-Thai origin bleat about how Thai food smells, Thai women are gold diggers, kon Thai have no manners - well guess what if you dig deep enough into any culture you will find objectionable items.

Speak to me of HAGGIS, LIMBURGER CHEESE, hominy grits, witchetty grubs.

Ask me about my ex-wife (Aussie) for a person who left me back at square wine.

Tell me about the behaviours of (insert your least liked country here!)

On average, Thailand offers more joy than any other country I know

Had hamburger today with crisp bacon, fries, lettuce, cheese, etc. Then bought a bag of Doritos Nacho Cheese chips. That's real food.

My apologies to all the offended little old Thai ladies..

Only offended by the Falang sh!t that you found it necessary to eat :D That is worse than admitting to not deviant sexual practices (not that I am suggesting for one minute that PB would do such a thing :o )

Must agree that hamburgers, fries, cheese chips are unfit for animals even though I may eat the stuff a couple of times a year. I also don't see how we complain about some pungent Thai delicacies and then can't fathom why they think blue cheese isn't fit for rats to eat. And what about formaggio marcio Italian cheese that is matured and eaten with live maggots?

Does anybody know what it might be? Any expats actually LIKE it ??? I enjoy most Thai food but this dish is over the top for me!

It is actually just regular shrimp paste (kapi) or possibly Nam Prik Kapi (which is made from shrimp paste and looks more like diarrhea) not pla ra (fermented mud fish). While I have used it for years is when cooking I don't like to eat it straight out the pack.

I don't mind the smell though.

Otherwise known as "Blachan"

I emptied a mate's pub in the uk when I was making up a litre of satay sauce for him.

He wasn't happy. :o

Not sure but my wife told me she was eating the afterbirth of a cow with her family she said arroy mak mak she is from issan is that a food they eat or was she pulling my leg

Does anybody know what it might be? Any expats actually LIKE it ??? I enjoy most Thai food but this dish is over the top for me!

It is actually just regular shrimp paste (kapi) or possibly Nam Prik Kapi (which is made from shrimp paste and looks more like diarrhea) not pla ra (fermented mud fish). While I have used it for years is when cooking I don't like to eat it straight out the pack.

I emptied a mate's pub in the uk when I was making up a litre of satay sauce for him.

He wasn't happy. :D

Not sure but my wife told me she was eating the afterbirth of a cow with her family she said arroy mak mak she is from issan is that a food they eat or was she pulling my leg

Nope, cow afterbirth usually eaten by the cow itself very nutricious....Thai in rural areas regularly eat it....nothing wrong with it offal thats all!!!!......I wouldn't advise you try it cows can get nasty if you try to steal their after birth.....they think you are after harming the calf.. :o

He wasn't happy. :D

Nope, cow afterbirth usually eaten by the cow itself very nutricious....Thai in rural areas regularly eat it....nothing wrong with it offal thats all!!!!......I wouldn't advise you try it cows can get nasty if you try to steal their after birth.....they think you are after harming the calf.. :o

My wife claims that pig's testicles are absolutely delicious!

I also believe her when she says she would cut mine off if I ever decide to take a mia noi!

I've not had anything in thailand that smells too bad, though probably the most psychologically disturbing have been fried dung beetles and raw beef covered with bile squeezed from the bile sack (it's a greeny colour). Neither of these tasted that bad though.

As said above all cultures have strange eating habits. what I think is demonstrated here...and I think it's very sad.....is that over the last couple of generations a lot of people in the "West" have lost touch with their culinary heritage. Brought up on poor cooking and junk food they regard offal etc as something to be avoided or don't even recognise what they are actually eating. confronted with anything "different" and they turn their noses up or ridicule the food....well more fool them and all the more for us.

It'll be interesting in times to come when food can't be affordably transported around the world or even country) and we all have to eat the local seasonal or preserved food of wherever we are.

Extract of cow or sheep's mammary glands mixed with bile (drained from stomach/liver) infused with bacteria and then left to ferment.....mmmm delicious!

Isn't about the same which would be found in a butcher house's sewer? Tell me kedawi, what food do you find repulsive? Maybe something like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?

(These posts are light hearted, nobody takes offense I hope :o Dramatically different cultures and tastes are interesting [and enlightening] to discuss.)

I'm sorry but that's Blue Cheese - Stilton or Roquefort ...take your pick..... (actually is fungus not not bacteria)

Yes, I remember as a young boy gagging at the smell of blue cheese whenever my Dad got it out. Somehow over the years I developed a taste for it (without trying), and I now love it. Interesting how our taste changes over time. I expect this will happen to me also here in Thailand - only a few months ago I couldn't go near a soup which I now eat and enjoy daily.

As said above all cultures have strange eating habits. what I think is demonstrated here...and I think it's very sad.....is that over the last couple of generations a lot of people in the "West" have lost touch with their culinary heritage. Brought up on poor cooking and junk food they regard offal etc as something to be avoided or don't even recognise what they are actually eating. confronted with anything "different" and they turn their noses up or ridicule the food....well more fool them and all the more for us.

It'll be interesting in times to come when food can't be affordably transported around the world or even country) and we all have to eat the local seasonal or preserved food of wherever we are.

The arrival of a machine called the refridgerator, followed by the 'Freezer' totally changes the eating habits of whole countries....it is a shame as the social element of the daily food suppliers is surely missed, as the locals head to town to get their weekly/monthly shopping

But back on topic...I used to castrate bulls in my teenage years....the old fashioned way of slit the pouch and burn them off with a sharp red hot iron (for which I am stood behind the animal... no pain killers)....They were immediately dropped into a bucket of cold salted water....then whisked away to be cooked usually with mushrooms and onion as alone the testicles carried little flavour!!! Tasted very good and much sort after as I was one of the last in my area to use this method.

The girlfriend of Manjara would pick it up quite quickly I'm sure.... :o

Sorry Manjara meant wife.....if she's reading this might be sharpening the knife already!!!!!

Edited by 473geo

Yes, I remember as a young boy gagging at the smell of blue cheese whenever my Dad got it out. Somehow over the years I developed a taste for it (without trying), and I now love it. Interesting how our taste changes over time. I expect this will happen to me also here in Thailand - only a few months ago I couldn't go near a soup which I now eat and enjoy daily.

Hunger is a prime motivator...I remember not being too keen on the smell of the dried fish.....one day fancied a snack....all that is in the cupboard is cold rice and.....yep dried fish.. :o ...so I tried it now I really enjoy it..... :D

Yes the firdge / freezer has a lot to answer for...of course in Thailand it is still an equipment market with regards to white goods and there is still a need for preserved foods...hence the stinky fermentation processes involved.

Did anyone see the UK news a few months ago? They blocked off several streets in London as they thought they'd "sniffed out" a bomb factory.....it turned out to be a Thai restaurateur making "Nam prik Pla"!

Edited by kedawi

Yes the firdge / freezer has a lot to answer for...of course in Thailand it is still an equipment market with regards to white goods and there is still a need for preserved foods...hence the stinky fermentation processes involved.

Did anyone see the UK news a few months ago? They blocked off several streets in London as they thought they'd "sniffed out" a bomb factory.....it turned out to be a Thai restaurateur making "Nam prik Pla"!

:o:D

I'll never forget seeing on TV years ago a young African boy smiling happily as he was munching on one end of a big white grub-like thing while the other end was still wiggling from his mouth! Supposedly this was a dessert treat! :o

One man's fish is another man's poisson.

As a youngster, lamb's fry scared me, now that I am older, I avoid it!

I disliked broccoli, now I enjoy it.

All cuisines have things that outsiders find appalling, so live with it!

One man's fish is another man's poisson.

As a youngster, lamb's fry scared me, now that I am older, I avoid it!

I disliked broccoli, now I enjoy it.

All cuisines have things that outsiders find appalling, so live with it!

I don't mean to offend njpski but judging by your last couple of posts in the thread you seem to see people expressing their harmless opinion on there reactions to some Thai foods as an attack on Thai culture.

You really need to lighten up a bit. It is just a light heated discussion. :o

I'm soooo happy that my gf doesn't like these kind of stinky and weird dishes... it's just not ok. She doesn't like Durian either which is great too. We are in a beautiful no stink zone and she has worked as a Thai chef in one of the top Thai restaurants in London for some time so I get only the good stuff.

I'm soooo happy that my gf doesn't like these kind of stinky and weird dishes... it's just not ok. She doesn't like Durian either which is great too. We are in a beautiful no stink zone and she has worked as a Thai chef in one of the top Thai restaurants in London for some time so I get only the good stuff.

Your first sentence disqualifies you from only getting the "good stuff". But I must agree on the durian...while it tastes great it does tend to "linger" long after you have eaten it.