My So Called "osso Buco" Pictures

junkofdavid2

Nope, it ain't "real" osso buco...

It's a cheap version, but still quite tasty anyway!

Among other things:

1) Just used regular beef shank instead of the more expensive veal shank.

2) No white wine, which is also expensive in Thailand.

3) No carrots (which I generally don't like)

Lotsa onions, thick tomato paste, lotsa herbs, etc.

Only cost me less than 200 Baht for 3 good servings. (About one thick shank-slab with meat per serving)

post-34215-1224034656_thumb.jpg

Edited by junkofdavid2

in its current form it does look a bit suspicious :o but its more down to the camera work than cooking - when lit up a bit it (closer to its original color I assume) looks like a very very rich stew worthy of a welsh coal miners dinner and probably very tasty .. certainly its not diet food :D

Edited by JohnBKKK

Hi James,

here is mine:

this is for 8 portions but you can reduce it to how many you want to make:

8 ossi buchi (veal shin) wash and dry add some salt and freshly ground blac pepper and dust them in some all purpose flour

pour a cup of normal olive oil and a dollop of butter into a large pan wait for it to be hot and than place the slices of veal shin into the hot oil,butter, brown slightly on both sides - remove from pan and add 3 finely chopped celery sticks into the oil/ butter together with 2 very finely chopped medium sized onions - saute for about 5 minutes on reduced heat - deglace with 1 liter of white wine (red will also work fine) and add about a liter of either veal or chicken stock - bring to the boil turn down the heat, add the veal shins back into the pan and simmer for 20 minutes for the alcohol to be removed .. at this point we put the lot into a closed broiler and place it into the oven at 180C until the meat is very tender - remove the shins from the stock - reduce the stock to sauce consistancy - add salt/pepper to taste once reduced - drain the sauce throug a straner put back on the gas and add some slightly larger chopped celery - simmer for 5 minutes or for the celery to be "al dente"

serve and enjoy - forgot make sure you have some really small spoons on the table for the marrow and if you want to make the sauce extra rich, I add some additional veal marrow to the sauce which desolves and adds that extra flavor and richness :o I usually serve Osso Buco with Gnochis or fried Polenta

Edited by JohnBKKK

Hi James,

here is mine:

this is for 8 portions but you can reduce it to how many you want to make:

8 ossi buchi (veal shin) wash and dry add some salt and freshly ground blac pepper and dust them in some all purpose flour

pour a cup of normal olive oil and a dollop of butter into a large pan wait for it to be hot and than place the slices of veal shin into the hot oil,butter, brown slightly on both sides - remove from pan and add 3 finely chopped celery sticks into the oil/ butter together with 2 very finely chopped medium sized onions - saute for about 5 minutes on reduced heat - deglace with 1 liter of white wine (red will also work fine) and add about a liter of either veal or chicken stock - bring to the boil turn down the heat, add the veal shins back into the pan and simmer for 20 minutes for the alcohol to be removed .. at this point we put the lot into a closed broiler and place it into the oven at 180C until the meat is very tender - remove the shins from the stock - reduce the stock to sauce consistancy - add salt/pepper to taste once reduced - drain the sauce throug a straner put back on the gas and add some slightly larger chopped celery - simmer for 5 minutes or for the celery to be "al dente"

serve and enjoy - forgot make sure you have some really small spoons on the table for the marrow and if you want to make the sauce extra rich, I add some additional veal marrow to the sauce which desolves and adds that extra flavor and richness :o I usually serve Osso Buco with Gnochis or fried Polenta

Thanks John, seems like a lot of work but most good things are.

Where do you get the celery?

I've only ever seen that celery herb in Thailand.

the stalk celery is aveilable at macro .. villa .. foodland - this is what is used for osso buco - If you are reffering to the bulb of celery you can get that at villa 33 but talk to your bank manager first it is horrendously expensive

Edited by JohnBKKK

I like John's suggestion of adding extra marrow into the sauce to make it even more high cholesterol... :D

I look at this from a "if one wants to enjoy it ones in a while one might as well..." :o point of view .. I 'm using the best ingredients possible and use as little fat as possible like a max of 20% in our sausages but with Osso Buco there can not be a "lean" way that tastes good at the same time and bone marrow adds that additional richness and flavor .... one of my signature dishes is a clear beef consomee with bone marrow dumplings .. very difficult to make the dumplings but an absolute taste experience if they are done well ... if not they turn either into "rubber balls" or desolve...

p.s. high cholestorol is mostly not from food .. a chap in the UK did a docu .. started having his C checked which was about normal than proceeded to eat 12 eggs a day cooked in all sorts of ways and after one month his C was actually lower than before ....

eggs are bad for you ... eggs are good for you ... butter is bad for you ... margerine is good for you oooops butter is good for you margerine is really bad for you .a.s.o.

Edited by JohnBKKK

I live in the north where you think it would grow, at least in the mountains. and I scour the markets regularly but I've never seen it.

Must be imported.

Try Rimping Supermarket in CM.

It is grown at the Royal Project - it should be available all year long.

If you cannot find it at Rimping, you can go directly to the Royal Project store on the CM University campus.

Its not expensive.

I like John's suggestion of adding extra marrow into the sauce to make it even more high cholesterol... :D

I look at this from a "if one wants to enjoy it ones in a while one might as well..." :o point of view .. I 'm using the best ingredients possible and use as little fat as possible like a max of 20% in our sausages but with Osso Buco there can not be a "lean" way that tastes good at the same time and bone marrow adds that additional richness and flavor .... one of my signature dishes is a clear beef consomee with bone marrow dumplings .. very difficult to make the dumplings but an absolute taste experience if they are done well ... if not they turn either into "rubber balls" or desolve...

p.s. high cholestorol is mostly not from food .. a chap in the UK did a docu .. started having his C checked which was about normal than proceeded to eat 12 eggs a day cooked in all sorts of ways and after one month his C was actually lower than before ....

eggs are bad for you ... eggs are good for you ... butter is bad for you ... margerine is good for you oooops butter is good for you margerine is really bad for you .a.s.o.

right! have a sister-in-law who is a strict vegetarian. eats never meat, eggs once in a blue moon, but her cholesterol is skyhigh.

65 year old asks his doctor after a medical check up : Doctor, since 40 years I do not drink alcohol in any form, I don't smoke, never have, never had sex and live on a vegan diet with 0 fat, never had a TV or comp cause I do not want the rays to harm me ... do you think I can live to be 110 years old ?

Doc looks at him somewhat baffled ..."hmmm yes, there is a good chance ... but let me ask you this ... why in God's name would you want to????"

High Cholestorol levels are usually caused by genetic faults and are inhereted .. it usually runs in families ... you need the stuff to live but some genetic fault causes an over-production I know a coupple of chaps who are thin, sporty types and veggies to top it off (that's why social contacts are minimal) who both have to take daily medication for their ectremely high cholestorol levels and they also stated that their fathers and grandfathers had the same problem....... now, where is the Butter??

eat and enjoy while you can drink and enjoy and certainly have sex and enjoy while you can :D all (except the sex) with a wee bit of moderation

after your low cholestorol Osso buco with extra marrow in the sauce a low cholestorol cheese cake as desert :o:D

post-30681-1224123343_thumb.png

Edited by JohnBKKK