Car Costs

vrsushi

Ive never owned a car. Never wanted to to tell the truth. But as I think about settling in Thailand it feels that it may be a nice idea. But I really have no idea about the costs. Could someone please explain what I should budget for.

Cost of a new economical car. Nothing flash but nothing that's a social handicap. :o Or is it better to buy used? How used?

Taxes, MOT, insurance? Again Ive no idea. I'm 40, and had my licence for 20 years if it makes any difference.

Running costs? How much should I budget for a year in repairs? How many km does a car do for 1000bht of petrol?

Lastly, how long does a car last in this heat? :D Actually this is a serious question.

Basically I'd like to be able to guess how much the total cost of a car would be year on year so I can decide if I can afford one. If I have left out any other costs please enlighten me.

Many thanks.

There are lots of threads already on this subject. If you use the search box at the top you should find all the answers you are looking for. Secondhand cars start at 40,000 for an old nail. 170,000 will get you something reasonable. The newer the car the more the road tax and greater the insurance. If you live in the city you don't really need one but out in the sticks they are mighty useful.

It's depend on how much you like to spend for a car? A new car give you 3 year warranty, so no repair costs, but you have to spend at least 500'k to buy a "floor model". A good used one you have to consider between 150'k to 200'k as vrsushi mentioned. This kind of used car will be about 10 to 12 year old. If you want to buy a 3 year old "Plastic Jazz" the cost gonna be arround 450'k and the car will have already 155'k on the clock. In this case it is not worth to buy it. Better spend 100'k more for a new one. Personally i would never buy a new car, because if you get involved in a bad accident, even you not wrong, the insurance will only repair your car (not replace) and after that you have a "accident car" whitch is hard to sell again, because noone will buy a "accident car". consider to spend about 180'k, so you'll find something serouis. 180'k maybe not eought for a Toyota Soluna or Corolla, but you can buy a Hyundai or a VW Passat, Vento, etc. Japanese for example: If you like some kind of 97' Honda City or a 98' Toyota Soluna, you have to spend a little over 200'k. Japanese are better, but they cost much more. As i said, it's really depend on how much you want to spend. Remember: More new the car, more troublefree, but of corse more expensive to buy!