Where Is Gold Going In This Market

this seems to confirm that a Russian domestic law sets a precedence for the international gold market coffee1.gif

Err no.

It states how the domestic law will adversely affect Russia because of the xyz workings of the international market for large scale bullion purchases. It's the international bit that's revealing- the domestic Russian part is really neither here no there.

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naam

• flying

• churchill

• midas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

this seems to confirm that a Russian domestic law sets a precedence for the international gold market coffee1.gif

Err no.

It states how the domestic law will adversely affect Russia because of the xyz workings of the international market for large scale bullion purchases. It's the international bit that's revealing- the domestic Russian part is really neither here no there.

sure! believe what suits you. you have my blessings rolleyes.gif

I have no hard facts But could it be that most physical gold sold is from newly mined and minted supplies while most post sale is held long term and only very rarely sold in sizeable quantities?

"Paper" gold takes up the excess demand and enables the manipulation by the usual players for the usual reasons.

There could well be a point where the physical demand outstrips supply and the sellers simply aren't prepared to pay this paper induced spot price. You could say in western market this has started to happen already as the premiums for physical over spot have increased. The market will break; paper worth nothing and bullion through the roof.

Not for sure of course but the possibility is there.

I have no hard facts

No you haven't.

But could it be that most physical gold sold is from newly mined and minted supplies

No evidence

most post sale is held long term

No evidence.

only very rarely sold in sizeable quantities?

no evidence

"Paper" gold takes up the excess demand

No evidence

enables the manipulation by the usual players for the usual reasons.

No evidence

There could well be a point where the physical demand outstrips supply

Illogical.

the sellers simply aren't prepared to pay this paper induced spot price.

What?

You could say in western market this has started to happen already as the premiums for physical over spot have increased. The market will break; paper worth nothing and bullion through the roof.

Not for sure of course but the possibility is there.

In your dreams

Hopeless!

Yoshi - the RT article basically confirms what I speculated about source of large orders coming directly from miners.

Second

- Bullion logically is the longer term holding as so often sighted the "paper" gold is preferable for many because of its easy trading implying a shorter holding time for trade rather than a bullion longer term as a reserve. How would a western retail investor make decent short term money when trading physical with its premiums? Why would they choose to when paper allows for much easier and bigger profits?

Third

- perfectly logical it would be if the increased large scale buying by central banks etc (sighted in the article and other linked sources through out this thread) started to lead to a demand greater, So the fixed contract prices from miners for delivery and retail bullion rates diverge from the fantom spot price of the unlimited supply paper market.

The other way this could happen is as costs increase for the miners to get it out the ground.

I don't have a problem with paper gold. Nor do I have a problem with holding paper shares. Nor do I have a problem with trading.

I don't have the stats of transactions. Let us know when you do.

Overall I find it bizarre seeking out an asset which is perceived by the buyer as illiquid and yields no income, I really do.

(Apart from maybe your home and your art collections)

I don't have a problem with paper gold. Nor do I have a problem with holding paper shares. Nor do I have a problem with trading.

I don't have the stats of transactions. Let us know when you do.

Overall I find it bizarre seeking out an asset which is perceived by the buyer as illiquid and yields no income, I really do.

(Apart from maybe your home and your art collections)

I make far more from my property business than any poxy few % share dividend. Gold is purely a reserve because I see serious risks in the whole system,/ debt house of cards.

It maybe illiquid but the point is it has no counter party risk and will be there holding some value and trade able in case of currency collapse or what have you; my property will still be there but bullion is the more liquid asset. I could trade with the bank to pay mortgages off and/or have money spare is my thinking.

I find it interesting the amount of absurdity in the system, mechanisms to manipulate markets, "assets" with zero collateral traded as if real, money based on nothing and created out of thin air and why this power rests where it does etc etc.

What is most bizarre is the religion like clinging to and defending of these "markets" even when the manipulations are laid bare naked for all to see. Obvious scams dismissed as conspiricy until the regulators slap some minor fine about over it. Some belief and certainty that paper is always number 1. up to you. Personally I don't like the counter party risk. I don't even like too much cash in the bank. If you don't think there is any problems despite all the brokerage, banks, governments collapsing then by all means carry on happy bliss. Situation looks to be getting more unstable all the time, rising up like a huge wave before the shore. We all make our choices; I am happy with mine.

Chock dee

Let the looney links and wild speculation abound; it's all good entertainment.

Cheers

A prediction from Paul Gambles .....

Another Great Depression 'a sure thing'

http://www.nationmul...g-30188238.html

how can he predict that it will last for 5 to 10 years when the Japanese malaise

has lasted now for over 20 ?until we can see tangible evidence of unemployment

decreasing and we know exactly where these people are going to be employed

and the nature of their work and probably even more importantly the level of their

remuneration or salary then surely predicting how many years it will last is hyperbole?

Edited by midas

He said investors at any risk profile should now overweight on cash, which currently can offer an expected annual return of 3-4 per cent for yen, and 6-7 per cent for baht, Singapore dollars and US dollars.

cheesy.gif

He said investors at any risk profile should now overweight on cash, which currently can offer an expected annual return of 3-4 per cent for yen, and 6-7 per cent for baht, Singapore dollars and US dollars.

cheesy.gif

I think he is referring to currency plays. A possible annual return on the turn, but there is no income generation as such.

cheesy.gif

I think he is referring to currency plays. A possible annual return on the turn, but there is no income generation as such.

i don't see any indication that he means currency plays. but whatever, 1½ years ago he posted ad nauseam warnings concerning the "biggest basket case AUD" coffee1.gif

Hello guys, I know the subject must have been brought already, but I 'd like to buy gold bullion

Same price in every shops right ? minimum 5 baht ?

Do the shop can keep it for you for a fee ?

Thanks

If you want to store physical valuables why not just rent a storage box?

Hello guys, I know the subject must have been brought already, but I 'd like to buy gold bullion

Thanks

I definitely don't recommend to you to keep it in the shopermm.gif

many banks offer safety deposit boxes and if you have a bank account in Thailand

they will probably let you rent a box. Depending on size the rent varies between

3000 to 8000 baht per year.

Thanks

many banks offer safety deposit boxes and if you have a bank account in Thailand

they will probably let you rent a box. Depending on size the rent varies between

most probably your chance is very low to get a box in one of the bigger cities/towns. the rent is peanuts but you have to get your own insurance for an insame amount of money w00t.gif

Thanks

Ola Sancho you can usually find 1, 2 and 3 baht bars as well as 5, 10 and larger. No minimum. 100 baht/baht is a common commission.

Use the cabeza for a better storage strategy though...

edit - I haven't personally bought any for some years now so things may have changed...

Edited by cloudhopper

Thanks

most probably your chance is very low to get a box in one of the bigger cities/towns. the rent is peanuts but you have to get your own insurance for an insame amount of money w00t.gif

I just don't see the attraction of holding physical assets of this type in Thailand against the risk.

I just don't see the attraction of holding physical assets of this type in Thailand against the risk.

I have never regarded it as an attraction but I do regard it as a necessity for what could lie ahead?

Each to their own. You advocate shares whereas this is something I could not possibly consider

with such instability in the world and also with such dishonesty at every level.

Edited by midas

Chinese people buy less than 5 grams of gold per capita annually, compared to a global average of more than 20 grams, he says, citing the World Gold Council, a lobby group for the gold miners.

http://blogs.ft.com/.../#axzz243ACEJoI

the World Gold Council Bullshitters² bank on the naïveté and downright stupidity of its followers/believers with a statement like this. notwithstanding the fact that any "per capita" figures are BS anybody with a pocket calculator can pinpoint the flaw rubbish published.

global 'capita'.................~7,000,000,000

China.............................~1,350,000,000 x 5g = 6,750 tons

global balance................~5,650,000,000 x 20g = 28,000 tons

total global gold purchase.................................= 34,750 tons

total global gold production p.a..........................= ~2,500 tons

av-11672.gif

Chinese people buy less than 5 grams of gold per capita annually, compared to a global average of more than 20 grams, he says, citing the World Gold Council, a lobby group for the gold miners.

the World Gold Council Bullshitters² bank on the naïveté and downright stupidity of its followers/believers with a statement like this. notwithstanding the fact that any "per capita" figures are BS anybody with a pocket calculator can pinpoint the flaw rubbish published.

av-11672.gif

You forgot in your" Bullshiters" calculation those that are selling existing gold ....blink.png

av-11672.gif

You forgot in your" Bullshiters" calculation those that are selling existing gold ....blink.png

yeah right... all of the nearly 35,000 tons (1.15 billion ounces)? every year more than 20% of all existing gold changes hands? World Gold Bullshitters maths? cheesy.gif

A prediction from Paul Gambles .....

Another Great Depression 'a sure thing'

http://www.nationmul...g-30188238.html

how can he predict that it will last for 5 to 10 years when the Japanese malaise

has lasted now for over 20 ?until we can see tangible evidence of unemployment

decreasing and we know exactly where these people are going to be employed

and the nature of their work and probably even more importantly the level of their

remuneration or salary then surely predicting how many years it will last is hyperbole?

tangible evidence of unemployment decreasing

it's just not going to happen................the elephant in the room

Skilled Work, Without the Worker

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/business/new-wave-of-adept-robots-is-changing-global-industry.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all

I have never regarded it as an attraction but I do regard it as a necessity for what could lie ahead?

Each to their own. You advocate shares whereas this is something I could not possibly consider

with such instability in the world and also with such dishonesty at every level.

The point I was trying to make here was not so much about holding physical assets of this type per se, but more the risk of holding them in Thailand.

The point I was trying to make here was not so much about holding physical assets of this type per se, but more the risk of holding them in Thailand.

IMO the odds of gold becoming restricted or heavily taxed is far greater in the US. I'd much rather have to get rid of 100 baht here than 100 eagles in the US and it would be far quicker, easier and more anonymous too.

I think gold might see a new push upwards soon, because the AUD is losing its attractiveness (safe heaven and low yield compared to negative yield elsewhere), the EUR and CHF are still ugly (except if the CHF breaks its peg, unlikely), and the USD is still not in good shape.

I didn't before, but I am now seriously thinking about shifting into gold.

EUR and CHF are still ugly

there's not much to harvest in CHF but i like the "ugly" ~11% (calculated vs. USD) in EUR denominated subs of the last 5-6 weeks thanks to Draghi. should rumours come true that Merkel backs Draghi i expect another 3-5% within days.

EUR and CHF are still ugly

there's not much to harvest in CHF but i like the "ugly" ~11% (calculated vs. USD) in EUR denominated subs of the last 5-6 weeks thanks to Draghi. should rumours come true that Merkel backs Draghi i expect another 3-5% within days.

You are right, but I mainly trade FX with about 200% to 300% leverage, so going long in EUR would scare the shit out of me.