Thai Mythology

phaethon

Thais are often said to be superstitious, fearing ghosts and spirits, but the range of stories seem limited to a few floaty heads and relatively benign creatures of the mythical forest.

As we approach Halloween, what tales of Thai mythology and horror (and sources thereof) do we have to compare with the likes of Dracula, the tales of Jason and the Argo and Beowulf?

(Sources please!)

Edited by phaethon

The pi kra sua is a female ghost with her entrails hanging out who flies around at twilight eating people.

Pi bob is a more rural type of ghost. I remember the Bangkok Post reporting a story of a local 'magic man' rounding up pi bobs by putting them inside bamboo tubes and then sealing the ends. Apparently the luck of the villagers improved greatly after the ceremony.

Our maid once told me and the missus of a ghost that came to the house earlier: apparently she heard a loud bang at the front of the house. She ran to the front window and looked out. She saw a small cloud of smoke in the centre of the road, so obviously it was a ghost. We tried to explain that it was more likely a car backfiring, but she said there was no car by the time she got to the front of the house. So, we explained that the car had probably moved on by the time she got to the front of the house... anyway we couldn't use common sense and logic to explain. Our house is haunted and she kindly lights candles and incense to protect us and she's even been kind enough to scare the locals with the story so hopefully it will keep the kammoys away - bless her.

There was something a few years back about a ghost in BKK (I think) causing pregnant women to miscarry. The ghost was trapped by a group of monks and confined in a box that was sealed by mystical writing where it remains in the wat to this very day.

Then there was the Naree Pon