Marriage To Retirement Visa

I have been working in Thailand since 2002 and have an original visa on entry stamped as type "O". The latest 12-month extension is stamped as "non-re" whatever that is??? An earlier extension was stamped with the words "Thai Wife". On calling the immigration office about my visa status they say I am on a business visa. Since my company always took care of my visa application via an agency, I always left it up to them. I also have a work permit and fully documented tax paperwork.

Now I'm planning to retire in Thailand and so it raises some questions. If my visa is a type O marriage then can I retire but still stay on my current visa and apply for a retirement visa next year when the current visa expires? If I am actually on a business visa, then I understand that it will expire when I quit working.

So should I apply for a type-O marriage visa or a retirement visa, and can I apply within the country without having to leave?

Also, since I have been working in Thailand for six years, most of my money is already in Thailand so will I have to show money coming in from abroad? And if I transfer the necessary funds from Thailand to an overseas account and then just bring it back in again, won't it be rather obvious?

Did you have a 30 wait period for your previous applications to be considered. Thats the norm for marriage extensions.

The non-re looks like it means retirement.

If you are on an extension based upon marrige I would keep it that way. The best way to show the income is to pay tax on income that is equal to 40,000 baht per month for a year. This has been a recent topic here on the forum and much dicussed.

If you change to retirement you will have to show 800,000 baht in the bank.

You won't have to leave the country in any case.

Edit: Link to topic that evolves into paying tax subject. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/1st-Annual-E...nx-t218001.html

Edited by ubonjoe

I have been working in Thailand since 2002 and have an original visa on entry stamped as type "O". The latest 12-month extension is stamped as "non-re" whatever that is??? An earlier extension was stamped with the words "Thai Wife". On calling the immigration office about my visa status they say I am on a business visa. Since my company always took care of my visa application via an agency, I always left it up to them. I also have a work permit and fully documented tax paperwork.

Now I'm planning to retire in Thailand and so it raises some questions. If my visa is a type O marriage then can I retire but still stay on my current visa and apply for a retirement visa next year when the current visa expires? If I am actually on a business visa, then I understand that it will expire when I quit working.

So should I apply for a type-O marriage visa or a retirement visa, and can I apply within the country without having to leave?

Also, since I have been working in Thailand for six years, most of my money is already in Thailand so will I have to show money coming in from abroad? And if I transfer the necessary funds from Thailand to an overseas account and then just bring it back in again, won't it be rather obvious?

If the money dosnt matter then its more easy to apply for extension based on retirement instead of marriage and its also much more easy for the immigration to process the request for extension.

Good luck.

Regards

Did you have a 30 wait period for your previous applications to be considered. Thats the norm for marriage extensions.

The non-re looks like it means retirement.

If you are on an extension based upon marrige I would keep it that way. The best way to show the income is to pay tax on income that is equal to 40,000 baht per month for a year. This has been a recent topic here on the forum and much dicussed.

If you change to retirement you will have to show 800,000 baht in the bank.

You won't have to leave the country in any case.

If the money dosnt matter then its more easy to apply for extension based on retirement instead of marriage and its also much more easy for the immigration to process the request for extension.

Good luck.

Regards

Thanks so much for your advice. I read the links you provided and they proved very useful, too.

I checked with the agent who handled my visa application each year. It is the same girl for the past six years and she told me I do in fact have a non-immigration business visa. My company has agreed to handle all exit paperwork (maybe they can't get shot me soon enough :o ) so it makes that part easier.

I'm weighing up the pros and cons of whether to go the retirement (convenience) or family visa (I can show 40K income per month). As I would like to eventually convert the visa into a permanent residence sometime in the future then the retirement visa might be the best way to go.

Regards

You can't get a permanent residence on a retirement visa. You have to show tax paid income for the previous years when you apply.

An extension based upon marriage to a Thai would be best for if you are considering residency later.

You only have to show a combined average tax paid income of 30,000 baht per month for the previous 2 years at time of application.

Edited by ubonjoe

• 4 weeks later...

Working AND retirement.

I have seen conflicting (but now lost) threads on this so am replying to this one. I have been here for 3 years and teaching for 2, with a work permit (O dependant visa). For several reasons, I may have to switch to a Retirement visa. I was under the impression that I COULD work on Retirement Visa but Chiang Mai Immigration said that I could not. Are they "confused" or interpreting legislation incorrectly or just being Sh_ts. Have not had any problems with them before.